New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 40 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Need a character background written up?

Quote Originally Posted by thisdude9001 View Post
    Alrighty, so Dragonborn Warlock named Jarskan with a Great Old One patron and Pact of the Tome. He ended up telling some sort of secret that got his clan hurt and they exiled him. He ended up living in a dungeon he found, it was full of many treasures and even more dangers that he learned to avoid (dip into rogue for extra sneakiness) he ended up finding the Tome and made a deal with some sort of great old one.

Was discovered by some adventures that he ended up joining in their quest while they were exploring his dungeon.

Jarskan keeps secrets after the event with the clan.
    He likes to hoard gold (a habit he got in the dungeon) and wants to one day retire with his hoard.
    Is brass dragonborn.
    Likes to get close with Hex + sneak attack.
    Has high dex and a low str
    The demon's name mention (The Ancient One) - is a demon, that if you've read through this thread has appeared repeatedly...
    It's a demon based on my own game, that I thought I'd use - and tie some people's origins together (very loosely) and make it feel like a "unified Tawmis-Verse"...
    Hopefully you enjoy the origin story! I'd love to hear what you liked, loved, or even hated!
    Enjoy!
    ================================================== =======

I have lived my life surviving from day to day. Some nights I barely scrap by with just enough to prevent me from starving. I’ve learned to move through the streets and use the shadows to my advantage. Being a Brass Dragonborn does hamper my ability to squeeze into small shadows to prevent myself from being hidden, just so I might be able to steal a piece of fruit to hold me over for the night. I don’t like to steal from my own clan, but I do it for necessity’s sake. I have every intention of one day being free of this squandered life and repaying everyone in my clan with the glory of endless coin.

On one such night, where I was moving through the cover of night, through the village’s small streets, I was pushing myself against a tent to prevent a patrolling guardsman from seeing me, when I overheard what was clearly the Captain of the Guard, Bazathin Trollbane, and the daughter of Kortex, Sheelana. The sounds and discussion they were having were not one of Bazathin asking if Sheelana was all right; it was intimate and sexual in nature. Normally not an issue with two consenting adults, but both Bazathin and Sheelana were married – but not to one another.

I did not end up eating that night and spent the next three nights without food or water, without even realizing it, as I debated what to do. I finally came to the decision to tell Kortex, our Clan Leader, what I had heard between his daughter and Bazathin. When Kortex confronted her daughter, she confessed it was true, that the arranged marriage was not one of love, because she loved Bazathin, not her own husband. Bazathin was given the choice to die honorably or be banished from the Clain. Sheelana begged that he take the banishment as seeing him die would kill her, and so Bazathin brought further shame upon himself and family by taking the action of banishment.

Two nights later, they came; the trolls from High Pass Mountain. Cold, callous, malicious and killing for the thrill, they rampaged through out village destroying homes and killing many, including Kortex himself. When it was all said and done, nearly sixteen people were dead and Sheelana became the new ruler. Her first action was to forgive Bazathin and send a squadron after him to locate him. Her second action was to banish me, blaming me for the ill fortune of not having Bazathin in the village to defend us from the trolls, as he’d always done before.

I fled and wandered for many days, living off the land. I had eaten poisonous berries that nearly killed me and lay in bushes that burned my skin, as I learned how to survive in the wild. One night, I fell down the side of a hill and found myself staring at a small opening. As I dug around it, thinking I would use it for shelter I discovered that it was actually an opening to an ancient dungeon, long forgotten by time.

Making my way inside, it appeared to be a castle that sank into the land. Some rooms were full of mud and stone while others seemed untouched for centuries. Further down, the castle slanted and seemed to dip into an underwater lake that was full of Troglodytes.

An encounter with a Cave Fisher proved beneficial. The meat was edible, the filaments were harvested into ropes I used to get around where there were deep gaps in the fallen castle, and its diluted adhesive was used on my gloves to help with my grip when climbing. I used the chitinous shell to make some armor for myself.

And it was a week of surviving in this castle that I found what was clearly, a mage’s tower. The contents of the room were nothing but endless tomes, shattered vails, ancient scripture, and a wild assortment of what appeared to have once been spell components.

That’s when I heard a voice call to me. The voice came from behind me where I saw one tome, seemingly untouched, levitating, and its pages golden in color and glowing. I reached out – against my will – and touched the book and felt a surge of energy.

“Long have you strived to survive,” an ancient voice boomed in my head. “Long have I waited for one like you – a survivor – one who will do whatever it takes to survive. I can help you survive. I can give you what you need. My name is Bar'garius - Embrace my power and together we shall set the world right.”

I found myself uttering the words, “I accept.”

Another surge of energy through my body rendered me unconscious. When I awoke in the tower, the tome of shadows was bound to me. I looked at my hands as they crackled with new found arcane energy.
    Need a character origin written? Enjoyed what I wrote? How can you help me? Not required, but appreciated! <3

Check out my 5e The Secret of Havenfall Manor or my character back stories over at DMsGuild.com! (If you check it out - please rate, comment, and tell others!)

Subscribe to my D&D Channel on Youtube! (Come by and Sub)

2. - Top - End - #632

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops08 View Post
    Name: Vox
    Race: Changeling (male)
    Alignment: N (tending towards good, just not quite there yet)
    Character progression: Cleric 2, Divine Soul Sorcerer from there on)
    LOX
    Lox started life as a petty criminal loosely associated with the Tyrants in Sharn (a thieves guild specializing in forged identities, new faces. It is run by doppelganger masters and Changelings) . His parents are both guild members in good standing. Lox however was different; he had a wanderlust that led him to seek adventure in the world.
    Lox was fluent in both elven and goblin and was well studied on both cultures. Elves fascinate Lox and his preferred shape is elven. The forbidden nature of the Aerenal elves in particular drew him closer. Taking the guise of a Khorvaire elf seeking his roots, Lox talked his way onto the island of Aerenal. There he freely wandered libraries, entertainment and immersed himself into the culture. The ruse was working so well he talked his way into the academy of the Undying Court itself, where he learned the divine magics of the elves (actually he is a follower now…but the elves do not appreciate that). The brazen nature of a Changleing infiltrating a divine academy was ultimately doomed to failure. The Jig was up and Lox fled the island for his life. He did not leave empty handed; he had liberated enough gold to purchase a new identity with the Tyrants. Ultimately Lox will move into a Divine Soul Sorcerer, but again fortune will not smile on him. His family line was tainted. While Lox is a nice guy, his family and history with the Tyrants have tainted him, the celestial spark is dark, and his bonus spell will be “Inflict Wounds.” --In fact his build will be around the spell Inflict Wounds.
    Lox is unsure what the ultimate consequences will be, but he does have a number of religious texts and several holy symbols from Aerenal stashed at a safe house in Sharn. He has decided use his new identity to become an adventurer, keep moving for a while, and let the heat blow off. His main identity is Lox, a changeling. The elves, as far as he knows are clueless to this. His second, newer (purchased) Identity is Dorian Grell, an Aundarian human Veteran from the last war. Lox is planning several trips back to Sharn to purchase a few other identities when he gets the cash.
    Lox will arrange a secret signal for his compatriots. If he is disguised, will briefly flash a Blue “L” on his forehead or the palm of his hand.
    His fence is a safe house where his parents work for the tyrants. He knows the tyrants will take a 15% cut, plus the laundering fee. He may not be a tyrant but he will pay the dues as if her were (Family obligation). His specialty is document forgery. Lox used that a lot on Aerenal.
    The elves are still ferreting out all his impersonations. He even impersonated faculty members at the academy. At this point the elves are not sure how many Changelings were at the academy.
    Background: charlatan
    STR10, DEX 12, CON 16, INT 8, WIS 13, CHA 16
    ------------------------------------------
    and a word of explanation: The Undying court. The elves in Aerenal don't believe in death. They are into ancestor worship....and so the undying court are all the exceptional elves who in undeath still lead the elves. It is necromancy with positive energy instead of negative.
    weird but hey, it is in the book.
    Heh - you started it saying his name was Vox, but the rest says Lox - so I stuck with Lox.
    I had fun writing this because I had to do a little research as I've never played on the Eberron setting before.
    So I was unfamiliar with a few aspects of that's world's setting!
    So quick searches helped piece together hopefully enough correct information to make this right!
    I'd love to hear what you liked, loved, and/or even hated!
    Enjoy!
    =======================================

When others gaze into the mirror, who they see staring back at them is their own reflection.

For me, who I see is the disguise, or personality I am emulating.

I am far from what many would call normal – most fear and hate me and would kill me if they truly knew who or what I was.

My true name is Lox and my true form is that of a Changeling.

My parents both of whom serve with the Tyrants in Sharn (a local thieves guild specializing in forged identities and new faces, run by other Changlings such as ourselves and Dopplegangers), have been loyal to the guild their entire lives. They had dragged me into serving with the guild for my survival’s sake; and I served half-heartedly. I learned how to become an expert at forging documents and understood the concept of how to create identities through documentation, but living in the shadows was something that I never truly cared for. I enjoyed the deceit and the ability to shift into someone else to gain entrance to some place I would never otherwise be able to see – but I felt as though my calling lay elsewhere.

Through my work with the Tyrants, one such document that came across me caught my interest. The Elves of Aerenal; where apparently there was some understanding between life and the state of undeath, and that there was a Court of the Undying that ruled. All of this sounded too fantastic to accept as real and that’s when I felt the twist of the dagger inside of me turn; this is where I would go. This is what I would explore. This is where I would find my destiny.

Adopting the form of a Khorvaire Elf by the name of Garius Trollspear, I arrived at the docks of Aerenal, explaining that I was seeking the truth about my roots as Garius. I spent weeks slowly earning the trust of the Aerenal, moving slowly at first. I would speak with the locals; earn their trust, who would then in time, invite me to meet others, higher up the social ladder, until finally I had been widely welcomed. I freely walked around enjoying the entertainment, libraries and endless amounts of knowledge to be gleamed from the Aerenal, eventually working my way up to the Undying Court. Eventually I was welcomed and trained by the Undying Court, becoming a devout follower; but my luck would eventually catch up to me as I earned my way up the social ladder among the Undying Court, meeting a High Priest by the name of Valiran Highcourt, whose magical powers allowed him to see through my disguise. I quickly fled, changing my shape at every dark corner, to lose my pursuers, and used the gold I had acquired climbing the social ladder to book passage back to Sharn.

I made contact with the Tyrants and purchased a new identity – that of Dorian Grell an Aundarian Human Veteran from the last war. For now, that is who I am – I know the Aerenal are upset that they’d been infiltrated by a Changeling and from the news I have been hearing, Valiran is personally questioning everyone… and that he’s also sent a squadron out to find me specifically.
    Need a character origin written? Enjoyed what I wrote? How can you help me? Not required, but appreciated! <3

Check out my 5e The Secret of Havenfall Manor or my character back stories over at DMsGuild.com! (If you check it out - please rate, comment, and tell others!)

3. - Top - End - #633

Quote Originally Posted by Storyl View Post
    Half-Elf Warlock of The Great Old One
    Name: Therian Allas
    Background: Hermit
    Thanks for making this thread and I apologize for little to make off of I'm just interested of what you create feel free to make anything up
    I had just done a Changeling Warlock who was a part of a Thieves Guild... and wrote them very shadowy...
    So I wanted to do something different with yours... definitely focus on the Half-Elf aspect...
    And why he becomes a hermit...
    And the demon name mentioned, if you've read this thread (22 pages deep now!) - it's a name that frequently appears.
    Every time I write a demon I use his name to make this all a "shared" universe affectionately called "The Tawmis Verse"...
    I'd love to hear what you liked, loved, or even hated!
    Enjoy!
    ============================================

Make no mistake, I am thankful to be alive; however, I do curse my bloodline each and every night.

My father Jouren Allas was a hard working human; he spent each and every day at the forge crafting weapons to give to the guards of his village. He had a beautiful wife, Maylin Allas, who worked at the bakery, day in and day out, coming home exhausted and bringing back scraps of food that had not been used for the night. My father was strong, tanned, his hair grey, his eyes piercing blue. His wife was beautiful; blond hair with mixed strands of grey and eyes as green as a freshly grown field.

One day, a band of elves, having been attacked by the very brigands who often laid siege to our village, came in seeking help. A councilor’s daughter had been wounded. My father’s wife, Maylin, was a midwife and the most experienced at healing people in our village. She took this Elven maiden into their home to help her. She’d been gravely wounded and had spent nearly two weeks with my father and his wife. In that time, the elves had trained the people of my village how to use bows and swords to better defend themselves; but also in that time, my father and this Elf Maiden, a gorgeous woman named Danesa Goldenheart, had fallen in love, and while his wife was at the bakery, my father and Danesa made love. Only once, according to my father, before he realized what he’d done. But it only took once. Nine months later, Danesa returned with news of the child within her about to be born.

Outraged, Maylin threw my father out of the home. My father was ashamed for his actions, but the village needed him, because he was the weapon and armor maker for the entire village, and so the village, ashamed of their own need, provided him shelter, as well as Danesa who had been cast out from her own home, for the actions of consummating with a human.

Though I was widely loved by my mother and father, the rest of the village despised me. I was the symbol of temptation; and the village hated that they relied so heavily on my father and could not cast him out. This made making friends impossible as families refused to let their children play with me; so I grew up, very much alone, and socially awkward, with only company from my father and mother. Even I began to despise them for the life they’d given me, of utter loneliness, even as they continued to love and support me.

At a young age, unable to live with my parents, unable to find friends, I left and learned to live in the wild. I became what humans call “a hermit.” I found a cave in the mountains not too far from the village – even now I couldn’t seem to tear myself completely away. One night in the cave, a voice called out to me from far deeper into the cave. I began to follow it – had there been others? Was this cave the home of someone else? Was this some form of spirit? It drew me to a small statue far back in the cavern – demonic looking, which made me leery.

“I am ancient,” the voice from the statue seemed to speak to my mind. “I have seen time begin and I will be there to unravel the threads when time is undone. I have seen the past create the present and glimpsed the horrors of the future. A terrible thing comes and I can help you stop it from happening,” the voice said smoothly. “My name is Bar'garius and I can help you become far more than your tainted blood would ever allow you to become. Embrace me.”

I reached down to examine the statue and felt a surge of energy pierce my body, my soul and my mind. In the palm of my right hand was the burned tattoo of the statue forever a part of my skin.

“Good,” I heard the voice whisper, “now we are one.”

And just then my hands crackled with arcane energy.

“Let the training begin,” it whispered.

4. - Top - End - #634

Quote Originally Posted by No1ofIntrst View Post
    Vandryeen (Male)
    Bard (More focused on the storytelling than the singing/seducing part)
    Half-Elf
    Anthropologist
    True Neutral

Really interested in learning about different types of monsters and other "surface-level information" (oh, yeah, I speak Orc, but I only know how to say "could you pass the salt?") Not too outgoing, but not really shy. Knowledgeable, but not a bookworm (knows by experience, not by reading). Parents are really important to him. Knowledge. By understanding other races and cultures, we learn to understand ourselves. Doesn't really like horses
    Side note: thank you for making this!
    I actually enjoyed writing this one; because you mentioned the parents were important...
    They became a central figure for which the rest of your character's background information really spun out of.
    I added, what I hope, is a fun element about your dislike of horses for the character!
    I'd love to hear what you liked, loved, or even hated!
    Enjoy!
    ================================================== =

“… and so, the mighty, foul demon Bar'garius was defeated by the honorable and holy Paladin, Simwat Pureblood of the Holy Order of Neverending Nights!”

The crowd cheered and raised their tankards and clanked them together in celebration. My name is Vandryeen, and I am a Half-Elf Bard that’s spent most of my life traveling around the land “just to see what’s out there.” Something my mother, a beautiful human woman named Jeska, said came from my father’s sense of “wanderlust.” My father was an Elf by the name of Darthun Truestrike, and unlike other Elves, did not care to live in the trees. He’d wanted to experience the world beyond the woods, and that’s how and when he met my father – as she had been fending off bandits. Truth be told, according to both of my parents, my mother needed no help. She was a fierce fighter with soft brown hair and velvet soft green eyes, whose gaze could pierce you like an arrow. My father had been drawn to the fact that she easily downed three of the four bandits on her own.

My father developed a romantic relationship with her, which got him cast out from the Elves, and his surname revoked, due to the shame of romancing a human. When I was born into the world, they both filled me with endless amounts of love; as well as tell me the endless tales of their adventures. My father used to laugh at how sometimes he would simply sit back and let my mother do all the fighting and only step in if someone was trying to strike her from behind.

As I grew older, my parents continued to love me completely and fill my mind with more and more stories of their adventures. My father, who was well versed in the Orcish tongue taught me one phrase that always made him laugh, “Can you pass the salt.” I had asked when I would ever use such a phrase and he explained that when they found Orc encampments; that were always the first thing he’d say to the unsuspecting orcs to get their attention.

My parents bestowed upon me knowledge of their own encounters; everything from the subterranean Beholders and Mind Flayers, to the magically forged creatures such as Owlbears and Displacer Beasts; and even told me of the ways of the Giants – from Hill Giants to Storm Giants; it’d seemed my parents had led a full and glorious life.

I wanted what they had; someone to love so deeply, but also, the same experiences. To go out into the world and have adventures that would teach me about things; other cultures, so that when the day came that I brought a child into this world, I would have my own stories and knowledge to share with them.

When I was old enough to travel on my own my father purchased me a horse to travel on; a horse by the name of Aragus. Aragus and I have a very rocky relationship. He doesn’t always appreciate having someone riding on his back; and at times, will simply halt to eat food. This has caused me to have a general dislike of horses; but I’ve never gotten rid of Aragus.

Yet, anyway.

5. - Top - End - #635
    Pixie in the Playground

I’m working on making my first 5e character and my first one since 3.5 and I was a teenager. I’ve decided on either a scout from XGTE or more likely a ranger. I’m trying not to be too specific with the names of places since I want to work with the DM at my FLGS. They have adventures league on Wednesday night and that’s what I’ll be joining in on.

Any feedback would be appreciated! Most likely race is v. human.

NAME grew up a few miles near a town that served as a stopping point for merchants and other travelers. Despite his mother dying childbirth, NAME’S dad never held it against him and the two were very close. NAME’S father was a hunter and woodsman by trade, providing fresh meat for the butcher, skins for craftsmen and herbs for healers; he taught NAME what he knew from a young age. One day, name returned home from town to find his home on fire. His fathers’ body was found next day in the burnt ruins. With nothing left, NAME has wandered the lands selling his skills as a scout to various mercenary groups, armies, and adventurer parties.

6. - Top - End - #636
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    The demon that's mentioned (if you've read some of the other backgrounds here) is a reoccurring demon throughout several backgrounds...
    I set up the emotional state of your character being volatile by having the guilt of what happens between her parents...
    I also got in the part of the Coven... and at least one magical trinket ...
    As always, I'd love to hear any thoughts, feedback, you like it, hate it, love it, want something changed?
    ==================================================

Great writeup thanks so much, we tweaked it a little for fitting into the story but it was a great foundation.
    Ive got another game i am joining that Im stuck on care to give one of these a try to help me make the decision easier:

Scourge Aasimar Vengeance Paladin: Inspired by The man in the iron mask, hidden away from the world his aasimar heritage only revealing itself when he escaped? True Noble, had to be kept alive so that his face could be used by another who stole his title? A king or prince perhaps. A iron mask that he cannot yet undo, hides his face, but not his divine heritage. Probably lawful good and in fairly good spirits despite his circumstance
    or
    Tortle Shepherd Druid: Like all Gatekeepers you walk the lands protecting it from those creatures that dont belong within it, ensuring the ancient seals under the oldest of druid seals remain closed when others have forgotten they were even there. A bit monk like. His personality hasnt revealed himself to me yet, although his name (maybe) Kwali gives a Hawaiian vibe. Spritely for an older guy, and lean for a tortle. Gives off a monk vibe.
    or
    Warforged Rogue Scout: Last mission in a war long forgotten to the passage of time he was part of a team sent behind enemy lines. For some reason has been offline since. Has survivors guilt as the only survivor of previously mentioned mission. Look for a home, new family in this new world i think. I want to rp this character almost like he cant stand still, fidgety (think 11th doctor).
    Last edited by KyleG; 2019-12-29 at 01:40 PM.

7. - Top - End - #637
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Name: Navarr
    Race: Half-Elf (Drow) male
    Alignment: CG
    Class: Hexblade 1/Lore Bard 3
    Background: Faction Agent (Harpers)

Navarr was a slave to drow in the underdark. He has pale skin (Szarkai?) and white hair with a hint of silver. At some point he lost an eye. He had no arcane powers prior to the pact.
    He uses a Bow to shoot his Eldritch Blasts and his Patron replaced his bad eye with a new one that allows him to manipulate the weave and to cast spells/use his cutting words ability.
    He escaped the underdark and joined the Harpers which send him on several missions. The last one made him end up in Barovia (Curse of Strahd Adventure).
    His only musical instrument is a mithril horn. He likes to draw and sing.
    Do you have any idea how to connect it all?

8. - Top - End - #638

Quote Originally Posted by Arrg View Post
    I’m working on making my first 5e character and my first one since 3.5 and I was a teenager. I’ve decided on either a scout from XGTE or more likely a ranger. I’m trying not to be too specific with the names of places since I want to work with the DM at my FLGS. They have adventures league on Wednesday night and that’s what I’ll be joining in on.
    Any feedback would be appreciated! Most likely race is v. human.
    NAME grew up a few miles near a town that served as a stopping point for merchants and other travelers. Despite his mother dying childbirth, NAME’S dad never held it against him and the two were very close. NAME’S father was a hunter and woodsman by trade, providing fresh meat for the butcher, skins for craftsmen and herbs for healers; he taught NAME what he knew from a young age. One day, name returned home from town to find his home on fire. His fathers’ body was found next day in the burnt ruins. With nothing left, NAME has wandered the lands selling his skills as a scout to various mercenary groups, armies, and adventurer parties.
    I gave your character a name (one spot, so easy to change) and gave your place of where you grew up (Misty Forest), which can be changed if needed (it offered the easiest way to fit everything together).
    I left the ending with you heading to Daggerford (slightly major city, population 1,200 or so, I believe) - and left that open to whatever you wanted after that. Whether your character traveled with mercenaries and the such, to get clues to piece together what happened with your father.
    Anyway - look forward to hearing your thoughts - what you like, hate, loved - let me know!
    Enjoy!
    ===========================

The Misty Forest seemed to draw in the thunder and rain as the cooling temperatures from the western shores collided with the warmth of the High Moors to the east. Thunder rolled across the heavens like a stampede of wild horses while lightning split the skies like talons of pure light piercing the gloomy darkness. The rain came down nonstop, it’s cold touch shivering the bones of those that were exposed to it.

My name is Ellaron and I have spent all of my life living with my father, Bassinor in the Misty Forest. My father is a hunter and woodsman, has been all of his life. My mother, I sadly never got to know. She passed away giving birth to me, something that has always lingered in the back of my mind. My father assures me he does not blame me and indeed there’s no indication he ever has. Our relationship is wonderful and incredible as he teaches me how to survive in the woods, in hopes that one day I will pick up the trade he’s spent his whole life doing.

My father provides fresh meat to the butcher, skins to the craftsmen and leatherworkers, and herbs for the healers all of whom live in Julkoun, just north of the Misty Forest. To the west of the Misty Forest is a major trading route, called The Trade Way, where my father also trades with various merchants.

The problem is – along The Trade Way – you meet all kinds. The road is traveled by merchants just as much as it is mercenaries and bandits. To the south is the Dragonspear Castle, frequently used by bandits, and to the south east the Warlock’s Crypt – of the legendary lich-king, Larloch, the Shadow King, which often attracts mystics and sorcerers seeking “untold power.” All of which, use the Trade Way as the main roads for travel. To further complicate matters, the moors to the east of us – The High Moors are full of trolls and their ilk.

My father warned me that we must always be on the lookout – living out in the wild we were not given the luxury of having city guards or even a wall. There was only our home and the wild that surrounded us; so being familiar with the wild, it’s signs, what to eat and not to eat, was critical to survival.

However, there is always the unknown factor. My father had sent me to gather some herbs for his visit to Julkoun later tonight; but while I was out gathering them, I saw smoke drifting into the skies. Something told me that this was no ordinary fire.

I arrived back at my home and saw it up in flames. I cried out for my father but there was no reply. I tried everything to put out the fire – but our wooden home burned like an inferno. It took everything to stop the fire from spreading and by morning the next day, the fire had become searing hot embers and crackling wood. As the sun rose over the treetops, orange rays of the warming sun reflecting on the droplets of rain. Rain that had helped stop the fire from spreading; but had done nothing to stop the fire that consumed my home, and in the process my father.
    This was no natural fire. There was an assortment of tracks – ranging from human, to something bigger, as well as horses – all around the charred remains of my home. Someone had murdered my father, and I would find out why. I gathered several supplies from our shed and after burying my father next to where my mother had been buried, I set my path for the Trade Way, heading for Daggerford. I would begin there.

9. - Top - End - #639
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hello Tawmis!

Big fan of your work. :)

I've got a bit of an odd one, perhaps. Rather than looking for a character background, I need something more of a character mid-ground.

I currently play Nok, a goblin urchin living in Waterdeep, who has just had a bit of a rough day, so to say. He was being possessed by an elder aboleth, awakening his latent psionic powers, and was abducted to the Far Realm. Now we have a period of downtime, where a few years of time pass as Nok travels the Far Realm to escape the aboleth, explores his newfound powers, and eventually somehow manage to navigate away from the Far Realm through the outer planes to find some way to get back to the prime material. Maybe he encountered a githyanki raiding party and hitched a ride with them, finding more regular civilization and paying for passage back, etc?

Would you be able to apply your excellent background story writing skills to help tell the story of how Nok escapes the Aboleth and finds his way back home over the course of a few years of travel and adventures? :)
    Last edited by Appleheart; 2020-01-09 at 05:23 AM.

10. - Top - End - #640

I missed one (because it was quoted, so it didn't catch my eye - but was brought to my attention! My apologies) -

But the current order is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Great Dragon View Post
    PM to Tawmis
    Here's my Current Birthright Character:
    Mekmernox - The Kobold Conquest Paladin of Tiamat: Lv 6
    Out to unite the Five Scattered Kobold Tribes and then set out to conquer as much territory as possible on his way to claim the Throne and become the High King!!
    I'm going with "Draconic Heritage" for his Birthright Bloodline.
    This gives him AC 13 +5 dex mod = AC 18. With the potential of "thicker scales" at 10th level.
    He uses a Longsword two handed and has Great Weapon Fighting Style.
    I will probably do all three of these... though one at a time... and may do someone else's after doing the first, to be fair, and come back to the others (remind me if I forget)...

Quote Originally Posted by KyleG View Post
    Scourge Aasimar Vengeance Paladin: Inspired by The man in the iron mask, hidden away from the world his aasimar heritage only revealing itself when he escaped? True Noble, had to be kept alive so that his face could be used by another who stole his title? A king or prince perhaps. A iron mask that he cannot yet undo, hides his face, but not his divine heritage. Probably lawful good and in fairly good spirits despite his circumstance
    or
    Tortle Shepherd Druid: Like all Gatekeepers you walk the lands protecting it from those creatures that dont belong within it, ensuring the ancient seals under the oldest of druid seals remain closed when others have forgotten they were even there. A bit monk like. His personality hasnt revealed himself to me yet, although his name (maybe) Kwali gives a Hawaiian vibe. Spritely for an older guy, and lean for a tortle. Gives off a monk vibe.
    or
    Warforged Rogue Scout: Last mission in a war long forgotten to the passage of time he was part of a team sent behind enemy lines. For some reason has been offline since. Has survivors guilt as the only survivor of previously mentioned mission. Look for a home, new family in this new world i think. I want to rp this character almost like he cant stand still, fidgety (think 11th doctor).
    Then...

Quote Originally Posted by Tmii View Post

Navarr was a slave to drow in the underdark. He has pale skin (Szarkai?) and white hair with a hint of silver. At some point he lost an eye. He had no arcane powers prior to the pact.
    He uses a Bow to shoot his Eldritch Blasts and his Patron replaced his bad eye with a new one that allows him to manipulate the weave and to cast spells/use his cutting words ability.
    He escaped the underdark and joined the Harpers which send him on several missions. The last one made him end up in Barovia (Curse of Strahd Adventure).
    And then...

I can definitely work with what you got here...

Quote Originally Posted by Appleheart View Post
    Hello Tawmis!
    Big fan of your work. :)
    I've got a bit of an odd one, perhaps. Rather than looking for a character background, I need something more of a character mid-ground.
    I currently play Nok, a goblin urchin living in Waterdeep, who has just had a bit of a rough day, so to say. He was being possessed by an elder aboleth, awakening his latent psionic powers, and was abducted to the Far Realm. Now we have a period of downtime, where a few years of time pass as Nok travels the Far Realm to escape the aboleth, explores his newfound powers, and eventually somehow manage to navigate away from the Far Realm through the outer planes to find some way to get back to the prime material. Maybe he encountered a githyanki raiding party and hitched a ride with them, finding more regular civilization and paying for passage back, etc?
    Would you be able to apply your excellent background story writing skills to help tell the story of how Nok escapes the Aboleth and finds his way back home over the course of a few years of travel and adventures? :)
    I took two weeks off from work (which is why I disappeared from here; did some disconnecting) - so I am in "catch up" mode at work... but caught up on my projects at home, so I may start knocking these out tonight when I get home...
    Last edited by Tawmis; 2020-01-17 at 04:57 PM.

11. - Top - End - #641

ElfWarriorGuy

Sounds like a good plan. Mine are certainly not any sort of priority just love to see ideas that one can used/expand on/tweak, ready for the day they get called up.

12. - Top - End - #642

PM to Tawmis
    Here's my Current Birthright Character:
    Mekmernox - The Kobold Conquest Paladin of Tiamat: Lv 6
    Out to unite the Five Scattered Kobold Tribes and then set out to conquer as much territory as possible on his way to claim the Throne and become the High King!!
    I'm going with "Draconic Heritage" for his Birthright Bloodline.
    This gives him AC 13 +5 dex mod = AC 18. With the potential of "thicker scales" at 10th level.
    He uses a Longsword two handed and has Great Weapon Fighting Style.
    This was a lot of fun to write!
    I didn't get too much backstory for the character...
    But delved into his motivation... his plan... gave names to the dragons...
    One of which will probably be familiar...
    Took some liberties (associated him with blue) which you may need to change...
    Hope you enjoy!
    =======================================

The sun’s orange rays began to pierce the night sky as the moon fled into the distance. Orange rays reached up, tearing the skies open, like talons of a massive dragon. Mekmernox, his Kobold eyes squinting as more of the daylight began to drive away the shadows and darkness. As a faithful Paladin of the Great Tiamat, Queen of the Dragons, Master of the Shadows, he imaged the rays of sunlight being Tiamat once again entering the Prime Material Plane from the Gates of Hell.

Mekmernox came from Draconic Heritage, his scales a slight hue of blue. As such he served along side Kalice the Blue, a mighty ancient blue dragon, loyal to the great Tiamat. As the sun burst over the horizon, Mekmernox turned his back and entered the cave where the cool shadows welcomed him. The familiar dripping sound of water from an underwater lake that echoed throughout the cave was a sound he’d become accustomed to.

As a loyal follower of Kalice, who barked down commands given to her by Tiamat herself, Mekmernox had gained Kalice’s trust and respect. They had formed an understanding – a bond – that allowed them to be truthful with one another. Kalice rarely hid Tiamat’s plans from him and he was free to speak to Kalice openly – though, respectfully. Others who questioned Kalice usually found their lives extinguished with a thundering bolt of lightning from Kalice’s maw.

Mekmernox had a dream, that Kalice agreed with. He wanted to unite what he called “The Five Scattered” – which was five largest tribes of Kobolds – each, loyal to a different colored dragon. There was the Red Tribe, loyal to Singe the Red. Vicious, cruel and deceptive, Singe was an ancient dragon that looked out for himself only – even at the cost of betraying others, all except Tiamat. There was the Green Tribe, under the leadership of Emereth, the ancient green dragon. Perhaps the most vicious, and perhaps the oldest of them all, Emereth had little regard for anything; including those Kobolds who pledged themselves loyally to her. There was Khoul the Black, one of the youngest of the five, who wanted to prove herself the most loyal to Tiamat, often risking herself and her followers, in hopes of gaining Tiamat’s favor. And finally, there was the most reclusive of them all, Fraust the White. She and her followers stayed to the far North and trusted no one, partially due to Emereth who once clawed out Fraust’s right eye, which to this day, was never healed. Fraust treats everyone with great suspicion, even her own followers, who she suspects may be conspiring against her. She was ancient, and only slightly younger than her hated enemy, Emereth.

Aside from finding a way to unite five very diverse – Mekmernox had a greater dream. After uniting the Five Scattered and bring the five dragons, who served as lieutenants to the great Tiamat, Mekmernox would be crowned the High King.

13. - Top - End - #643

This was an interesting ride to take...
    Finding a reason for the Iron Mask... and the heritage ...
    And how and why the iron mask can't be removed...
    Hopefully I hit all the marks you wanted.
    Would love to hear your thoughts!
    Enjoy!
    =====================

I was taken when I was thirteen years old; a bag thrown over my head and stolen away in the night. On the back of a caravan, I bounced on the floor, my hands restrained behind my back. When the caravan finally came to a stop, the bag had slid off my head ever so slightly, and I saw, as lightning split the sky, a castle on the top of a cliffside. In the not so far distance I could hear the roar of waves pounding viciously against the stone wall that held the castle up, like a vicious wolf tearing at a fence, trying to get to its prey. I was thrown into the cell with such callousness, as if I were a murderer of children. Shortly after, another man came into the cell holding an iron mask. He smiled as he looked down at me and simply said, “This is going to hurt you. A lot.”

Then he placed the mask on my face, spoke some magical words; and the iron mask bound magically to my face, feeling as if a thousand needles were injected into every nerve of my body.

I learned to adapt in this prison, where four stone walls kept vigilant guard. A steel door three feet thick ensured I would never burst through there. Food was slid under the small slit beneath the door. On one of the days, my glass of water I was provided was knocked over, and I could see my own reflection – the iron mask glowed faintly with small runes etched on it.

Without much to do, I spent my days and nights, my head pressed against the wall, listening to the guards that patrolled the halls. This prison held hardened criminals and murders; but what had I done that warranted this treatment?

For awhile I kept track of the sun rising and falling through the small slit that passed for a window, barely thick enough to put my index finger through; but after three years of this, I stopped caring how many days I had spent trapped between those four walls. In order to prevent my body from failing me, I began exercising vigorously.

One night, I heard the guards shouting, which woke me from my sleep. I peered out the small hole in the back of the cell and knew it was nighttime. I pressed my head against the steel wall to try and hear what was happening; and I could hear men’s cries. Suddenly a loud bang on my steel door sent me scampering away to the far corner. The steel door swung open and a man adorned in plate-mail lifted his visor. “Prince Aragast.”

He saw the iron mask. “What have they done to you?”

“I heard them,” I explained, standing, “long ago. They put these masks on so that no one can ever see our face, and the runes allow them to track any who might try to escape. It can not be removed without the proper magic. To attempt so… will lead to the severing of my own head.”

The man extended his hand, “My name is Bennar. I am here to rescue you and restore you to the throne. Your Uncles had taken over and the one responsible for your imprisonment. We must get you back on the throne. He murdered your father and has in turn forced your mother to marry him.”

“I can not go back,” I said, “not until I find a way to remove this mask. So that the people know I am not guilty of whatever hideous crime my uncle has accused me of.”

“Then I will train you in the ways of light,” Bennar replied. “And when you are ready, we shall reclaim the throne.”

I traveled for weeks with Bennar and learned that my father was not human as I believed. He’d been an angelic being who had been sent to watch over my mother, because her destiny was something that was attached to some form of prophecy, which meant I was an Aasimar. Soon, my own body seemed to surge with incredible power.

I began to realize my mother’s destiny was tied directly to the angel who had come down to watch her; I was her destiny.

I began sending messengers to secretly communicate with my mother; to let her know I was coming for my Uncle, and that she would be set free, once the Mask was removed.

14. - Top - End - #644

Quote Originally Posted by Tmii View Post
    I was wondering how I would tie this together...
    When I realized... Seeing that you were a Half-Elf Drow...
    An idea popped into my head...
    In this thread, I've written about several people's Drow characters...
    So I decided to tie yours into one of them (linked in the story)...
    Now naturally, it's just a cool like thing to do... You and the other person don't need to agree on this...
    It's essentially a way to "tie my universe" of character submissions together...
    So that in your version, she ends up being your mother...
    Anyway, read on - hope you enjoy - and please leave feedback!
    Keeps the thread alive and keeps the moderators happy!
    Enjoy!
    ===============================

I’ve led an unusual life.

My mother, Sureena Pyre’sin – my mother – was a Drow, formerly completely faithful to the Drow goddess, Lolth, who, while pursuing slaves who had attempted to escape, fallen off a ledge, and become paralyzed. She was saved by humans who preached the word of Eilistraee who embraced beauty, song, dance, freedom and hunting. She was everything that Lolth was not. My mother, paralyzed, refused to embrace Eilistraee; and was told by the human who tended to her, that she would never walk again because of her belief not because of her bodie’s condition. So long as she believed in Lolth, her body would remain a prisoner to itself.

One night, desperate, tired of being tended to, and paralyzed, my mother prayed to Eilistraee who came to her in a dream and kissed her forehead and explained she was now free. My mother awoke from the dream, startled, and had not initially realized that she had sat up as she awoke from the dream. (See Sureena’s story here)

My mother learned to walk again, recovering her strength, and trained to be a great warrior. In the village, she met a human named Darnasius. He had been the one who helped her train and regain her strength once she’d embraced Eilistraee. Together, not only did her strength grow because of him; but so did her love and affection for him.

That’s when I came into the world. My mother and father continued to preach the ways of Eilistraee, so I learned to appreciate beauty and the art of both song and dance. My father saw, by the age of ten that I was gifted with the ways of song and storytelling and gave me his father’s horn – a mithril horn.

When I was eighteen years old, I embarked on my own. My head was full of love and joy, song and beauty and I thought – in my nativity - that I could visit my mother’s side – the Drow – and see if I could bring this light to them.

This unfortunately, led to my capture and torture as they recognized me to be my mother’s son, since I bore many of her features. For weeks I was forced into manual labor with very little food. I could not believe that my mother was like these people at time. When one of the Slavers was whipping a pregnant halfling, I stepped between the whip and the target, and for that, lost my left eye.

But that was also the night that changed my life forever. As I drifted to sleep, my hand over my missing eye, a voice called out to me – spoke to me about how my heart was a beacon of light in the vile darkness – and that if I embraced the power that the voice offered – it could help me escape. When I spoke – to myself, as far as I could tell, since the voice had only been in my head – I said I could not leave without my father’s mithril horn.

A moment later, I found that my head was resting on the mithril horn rather than a pillow; and in that moment, knew I could trust this mysterious voice and accepted the offer. My body suddenly surged with power, and I used magic to escape, tumbling down the same cliffside my mother had fallen down many years before, though I did not break my back.

When I did regain consciousness however, I was completely exhausted as if I had been running for weeks without stopping. Every limb ached and burned, and I thought, like a star streaking through the sky, I had burned out all the power that had helped me escape.

As I glanced at my hands, sparks flew between my fingertips and I knew the magical power was still surging inside of me.

15. - Top - End - #645

BlackDragon

@Tawmis

Great! Just a little tweaking, and off I go!!

When I give you a N/PC idea, I try to give all the factual (mechanics) information about them as I can.

Usually I only have a Vague Idea about their personality, and no clue At All about their Backstory.

Like in this case, because of Birthright's Lore, the Bloodline that can be gotten is actually a Divine Spark - a piece of a Deity that was Killed in the Last God War. Which actually took place on the World, and not with Avatars.

So, I was thinking that with this "Bloodline" Mekmernox had - was more than a Dragonwrought, which is related to only one kind of Dragon. It was actually a Spark from a Lesser Dragon Deity (need a gender/name) under Tiamat that died, and thus had a 'relation' to all the Chromatic Dragons. Thus, he could be considered the Rainbow Kobold.

Now, I didn't mention this, mostly because it was just a hint of a thought when I posted Mekmernox. And, once posted, I was more curious in what you would create and where you would go with the info given.

Mekmernox already being in cahoots with an Ancient Blue Dragon is great.

If you have any questions about any of my characters, just send me a PM and I'll respond ASAP.

Because no one is responding to any of my Posts, I'm only checking here maybe twice a week.

Comment
    No offense meant, but while Emereth makes a great Villain, she's your BBEG OC.
    As such, while I can take an Ancient Green Dragon, make it female (need a Name !!), and give her the same basic behavior, she won't be the same as you would write Emereth.

All the other Ancient Dragons are just fine.
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2020-01-18 at 12:36 AM.
    My Knowledge, Understanding, and Opinion on things can be changed
    No offense is intended by anything I post.
    *Limited Playtest Group - I'm mostly Stuck in the White Room.
    *I am learning valuable things, here. So thanks, everyone!

16. - Top - End - #646

ElfWarriorGuy

This was an interesting ride to take...
    Finding a reason for the Iron Mask... and the heritage ...
    And how and why the iron mask can't be removed...
    Hopefully I hit all the marks you wanted.
    Would love to hear your thoughts!
    Enjoy!
    =====================
    Fantastic. I'm curious why you think he was kept alive for all those years?

17. - Top - End - #647

Great! Just a little tweaking, and off I go!!
    Awesome. :)
    No offense meant, but while Emereth makes a great Villain, she's your BBEG OC.
    As such, while I can take an Ancient Green Dragon, make it female (need a Name !!), and give her the same basic behavior, she won't be the same as you would write Emereth.
    All the other Ancient Dragons are just fine.
    Sir, rest assured - I do not expect anyone to use my own creations as I would. I simply inject them for others to take and run with. To me, injecting my own monsters is like when they made D&D. There's probably no two Forgotten Realms campaigns that go the same in a module. So, use Emereth as you would with no regard to how I've used her in the past. :)

I've also used the demon Bal'garius repeatedly for people - and don't expect anyone to use him the same between each other. It's all just ways to make this whole thread a "Tawmis-Verse" where things can appear to be all connected and existing in the same world, which they're not because everyone's D&D campaign is their own. :)

Fantastic. I'm curious why you think he was kept alive for all those years?
    The way I see it (it would be up to you and your DM) if you wanted to come up with a crime that your character (supposedly) committed (so that your Uncle could remove you from the throne) - but I was hinting that your Uncle framed you for your father's murder (so he could get your father out of the way, and then get you out of the way by blaming you, then take the throne for himself). As to why you were kept alive; could be because you are indeed royalty that they did not see killing you as something you deserved; but to remain alive, to "suffer the consequences" of killing your father (so they believe).
    Last edited by Tawmis; 2020-01-18 at 12:59 PM.

18. - Top - End - #648

BlackDragon

Sir, rest assured - I do not expect anyone to use my own creations as I would. I simply inject them for others to take and run with. To me, injecting my own monsters is like when they made D&D. There's probably no two Forgotten Realms campaigns that go the same in a module. So, use Emereth as you would with no regard to how I've used her in the past. :)

I've also used the demon Bal'garius repeatedly for people - and don't expect anyone to use him the same between each other. It's all just ways to make this whole thread a "Tawmis-Verse" where things can appear to be all connected and existing in the same world, which they're not because everyone's D&D campaign is their own. :)
    Oh, I have no trouble using the same personality types/behaviors that you put in, as an overall guide.

I just need different Names, so that I don't seem/feel that I'm outright stealing your work.
    I do give you credit in my games.
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2020-01-19 at 05:26 AM.
    My Knowledge, Understanding, and Opinion on things can be changed
    No offense is intended by anything I post.
    *Limited Playtest Group - I'm mostly Stuck in the White Room.
    *I am learning valuable things, here. So thanks, everyone!

19. - Top - End - #649

Oh, I have no trouble using the same personality types/behaviors that you put in, as an overall guide.
    I just need different Names, so that I don't seem/feel that I'm outright stealing your work.
    I do give you credit in my games.
    A name is just a name. :)

But if you want another name, Klore would do.

How I came up with the other names...
    Kalice the Blue = Callous the Blue. I was going to do Bholt (as in Bolt) but as Blues are my favorite - I wanted a cooler sounding name.
    Emereth, you know - but if you go with Klore, stands for Chlorine. (Since Green Dragons breathe poison)
    Khoul the Black = Coal the Black.
    Fraust the White = Frost the White
    Singe the Red = Singe the Red.

20. - Top - End - #650

Quote Originally Posted by Appleheart View Post
    Hello Tawmis!

Heh - so the entire concept of what you provided me... I couldn't help but take a slightly fun twist with this.
    I gave your goblin a voice of some sarcasm in how he (she?) handles things.
    You'd mentioned Urchin (but not really a class), so I strayed away from specifics (other than stealing some gold and such to survive; so almost Rogue'ish, but really Urchin).
    I hope you enjoy what I did; I've love to hear your feedback!
    Enjoy!
    ==================================================

The day started out like any other day.

Absolutely horrible.

My name is Nok and I live at the poverty level of Waterdeep. That’s not even the worse part.

I’m a goblin.

Oh, don’t get me wrong. I love being a goblin. But goblins in Waterdeep aren’t exactly welcomed by the general populace of Waterdeep. Goblins, such as myself, have a notorious reputation for thievery and destruction (and mind you, it’s rightly earned).

So why live in Waterdeep you ask? Why endure the cursed words, mud being kicked at me, and general harassment? Well, as it turns out – I am actually wanted by former clan. I slept with the Chief’s daughter – in the Chief’s hut – in the Chief’s bed. The night before the Chief – Chief Wukondoa – was going to hand over his daughter to the great Hobgoblin Warrior, Bookar.

So, I ran for my life and eventually ended up in Waterdeep.

Living in Waterdeep, and being so disliked, I did what I could to basically survive by remaining unseen. Most of what I did, I did at night, whether that was picking trash for food or cutting a coin purse or two from a drunken passerby from the shadows. During the day, I tended to stick to the sewers; but even that wasn’t always safe, because Waterdeep was like a pumpkin left in the sun. Oh, on the outside it may look mostly bright and beautiful with a few rough patches; but below it was a fetid mess.

That’s also where I inadvertently met Gagorian, the Eye Tyrant. While living in the sewers I’d heard of Gagorian - but never seen him (I think it’s a him, I am not sure if you can really tell the gender of a Beholder – or get close enough, before one tries to kill you). Gagorian had experimented upon himself to extend his life and his power with various items he had his servants acquire. He was also the very definition of the word megalomaniac who also, strangely suffered from lepidopterophobia (yes, the fear of Butterflies) and spectrophobia (the fear of his own reflection; which this one, I understand as a bad incident when he used one of his rays on an adventurer and they reflected it back with a mirror).

I, foolishly, tried to “acquire” some of Gagorian’s treasure – and he chased me down, blasting wildly – one of his blasts opened a shimmering portal in front of me. Moving too fast to stop, I flung myself through the portal.

I thought I was as good as dead.

As if it couldn’t get worse; it did.

It turned out I was floating aimlessly in the Far Realm. Now, if you don’t know what the Far Realm is; it’s essentially thousands – maybe millions? – of layers that make up a plane known for madness. The Far Realm was also known for twisting unfortunate visitors into gruesome monsters. My body drifted between white, flowing rivers that flowed and changed direction as quickly as I could take a breath.

It was there that Kru’naw the Aboleth sensed me and seized my mind. I had become a servant to Kru’naw, doing what she demanded of me, sometimes against my will; but her voice was always whispering in my mind (even when she wasn’t having me doing anything). I learned that she had latched on to me because she’d sensed Psionic powers in me.

I can’t tell if it was minutes, hours, days, weeks, or even years; since keeping track of time in the Far Realm is impossible.

It was the boom of a Githyanki vessel bursting through the Far Realm that caught my attention. Apparently they were fleeing from a colony of Aboleth’s and using the Far Realm to short cut the distance they needed to jump. I just so happened to be in the way that one of the lines on the ship snared me and pulled me along the vessel as it burst into the Prime Material Plane launching me deep into the middle of the ocean.

For several days, I survived on an island, no bigger than 100 feet. I lived off plants and fish.

A vessel made a stop and I managed to sneak aboard below deck. The ship docked in a bustling town and I crawled out, undetected.

Not entirely surprised that I was in Waterdeep again.

21. - Top - End - #651
    Halfling in the Playground

A new character to help keep this in recent- A human fighter, born blind. My table uses the Unearthed Arcana for swapping features, so he uses the Blind Fighting fighting style, and my DM has a home-brew rule for characters born blind- Along with the downsides of being blind, you have advantage on perception based on hearing.

Race: Human
    Name: Jonathan Rasade
    Class: Fighter, Champion

Jonathan's story begins prior to his birth- 1 month before it. His mother, Alice, was a beautiful woman, married to a kind man named Wolfgang. But one day, her sense of vanity was her downfall- the gods cursed her to become a Gorgon (Medusa, not metal bull) and her husband was right in front of her as it happened- Her first victim, the first turned to stone, the one she had loved. She ran, going into a cave, and one month later, she gave birth to Jonathan. She tried to not look at him, but his babbling made her so happy. She looked at him, and saw his silver-grey eyes; He was blind, and thus immune to her petrifying glare. She hugs him, crying in joy with the knowledge that at least one god was on her side. A few years later, and Jonathan takes a blade from a man who had been sent to kill his mother, and learned the art of blind combat. Every now and then, he goes to his mothers cave and alerts her of his presence- 1 echoing tap of a sword on the floor if its just him, 3 if he has guests so she can put on a blindfold, and to make sure no one can trick her, he also hums a melody she taught him so she knows its him.

22. - Top - End - #652
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

AWESOME idea for a thread. I was considering doing something like it, but I don't wanna take any credit, lol.

Could you help me with an idea I have? This is an idea for an NPC, who will be interacting with the characters heavily.

Cauthon the Mad is his "nickname," but chefs choice for true name. He is a Human Warlock of the Fiend, who worships the Devil of overgrowth, Rosantra. ( a homebrew devil, might be a little hard to work with... sorry!)

He has been partially taken over with bark, and parasitic fungus, a "gift," from Rosantra.

Knock yourself out.

23. - Top - End - #653
    Pixie in the Playground

Hello Tawmis,

first of all: awesome thread, thank you very much!

I'm getting (after pretty much 3/4 year break) finally back into the game.
    I know you just did a goblin, but maybe you won't mind another one:

Haven't picked a name yet, but that hardly matters, let's go with Tuboox.
    What I have:
    Name: Tuboox (male)
    Class: Sorcerer (Divine Soul), Hexblade
    Alignment: Chaotic Good
    He lost his mother early on during a raid of some adventurers, which made him want to be able to protect those he cares about (and left him with slight mother-issues and a weak spot for any martrichal figure).
    While becoming an adult he took part in a raid, as goblins tend to do, but was shocked when he found out that his comrades where killing women, too! To make it worse: some have been mothers!
    So he distained himself from his tribe and (somehow) found religion. We're about to start Rise of Tiamat, I only read some about the gods there and haven't made my final pick. I thought Sune, Selune or Tamara would be fitting.

24. - Top - End - #654
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Name: Grumgar
    Race: Mountain Dwarf
    Alignment: N
    Class: Path of the Beast Barbarian/Open Hand Monk
    Background: Outlander (Bounty hunter)

Born from the womb of a mother Killed by a werewolf. Takes dead or alive jobs mostly and they never come back alive.

The rest I leave up to you
    Last edited by OzDragon; 2020-02-22 at 07:55 AM.

25. - Top - End - #655
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Tawmis, it's been awhile since I've asked for your help, but I have a new idea I really want to see you write.
    I have an idea for a warlock named Tenkin Malbrook, his subclass and pact can be whatever you want. Here's the basis of his backstory: his parents for some reason made a contract with a fiend that promised her their first born sons hand in marriage when he turned 18, I don't know why that's up to you. Tenkin grows up knowing nothing of this contract and wants to travel and see the world. Somehow he learns of the contract(maybe his parents tell him or something) and he decides leave home now before he turns 25, when the contract goes into affect. His warlock pact features and invocations are gifts from his betrothed to try and make him feel better about her. Also last bit, she doesn't really care if he dies during his adventure because of he does, the contract ensures that he'll simply spend his afterlife with her anyways.
    I trust that you'll be able to write motives for both the fiend and parents, and once again thank you!

26. - Top - End - #656

Quote Originally Posted by Undyne View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ThornTheDruid View Post
    Could you help me with an idea I have? This is an idea for an NPC, who will be interacting with the characters heavily.
    Cauthon the Mad is his "nickname," but chefs choice for true name. He is a Human Warlock of the Fiend, who worships the Devil of overgrowth, Rosantra. ( a homebrew devil, might be a little hard to work with... sorry!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shako View Post
    Name: Tuboox (male)
    Class: Sorcerer (Divine Soul), Hexblade
    Alignment: Chaotic Good
    Quote Originally Posted by OzDragon View Post
    Name: Grumgar
    Race: Mountain Dwarf
    Alignment: N
    Class: Path of the Beast Barbarian/Open Hand Monk
    Background: Outlander (Bounty hunter)
    Quote Originally Posted by moonfly7 View Post
    I have an idea for a warlock named Tenkin Malbrook, his subclass and pact can be whatever you want.
    Consider all of these added to the list to do! Wow! Forum's back and there's some stuff for me to write! This is glorious!

27. - Top - End - #657
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateWench

NICE forum's back!

I've been playing Lily pretty much since you wrote her up (Ty!) but my group's been on hiatus for a bit and my DM recommended I get some more characters written up in case Senshi maaaaaybe shows up sometime soon.
    She's really enjoyed playing Furea and Kosai so I wanted to flesh out their background and Lily's with a whole bunch of other harem girls at once, and then I found this picture and I got a whole lot of ideas at once!

Spoiler
    Show

SO going from left to right here's what I've got:

1 and 2 Entered Senshi's harem under the cover of being gifts from his grateful peasants, but in reality are tribute from the ninja clan that serves his family. Under the pretense of being a pair of flighty, ditsy, argumentative bimbos, usually scantily and brightly clad, they've successfully broken the cover of no less than four assassins disguised as concubines, killed ninja trying to kill Senshi in his sleep and several times prevented many of his children from being kidnapped. They were friends with Lily before she ran away, but I doubt they were close because I think she'd have fallen for the ditz act and gotten more than a little tired of them arguing over which one's prettier.
    The one on the left has 7 levels of rogue and three of monk, she's the Thief archetype (for climbing and jumping on rooftops) and an Open Hand monk (for scattering fools!) with her Expertise in Stealth, Deception, Acrobatics and Athletics.
    Number 2 there has 6 levels of Glamour Bard, 1 of Rogue (expertise in Deception and Performance) and 3 of Shadow Monk.
    I'm thinking that Senshi would usually only take one of these two to bed at a time under the excuse of them being bad at sharing but it really being so he's got one bodyguard as close as possible to protect the girls with him if he doesn't wake up in time to do so while the other one patrols and keeps watch.
    Also 1 is 26 and 2 is 27, they both joined at about 18 (like Lily!) and they've both got about three to five kids who they're looking forward to teaching their sneaky ways. I haven't decided on either of their out of character personalities though.
    Number 3 is an EXTREMELY tough girl who used to be one of the harem guards (can't have male guards for obvious reasons) who had a serious case of hero worship for Senshi (I'm not sure why? Maybe her dad fought alongside him? Idk you decide!) and for whatever reason ended up one of his girls. She's got 8 levels of Champion Fighter, 1 of Rogue (Athletics and Acrobatics Expertise) and 1 of Monk. Also she's 24.
    Number 4 there is 30 years old and has 8 levels of druid, one of rogue and one of monk. I've got NO IDEAS for her yet besides the fact that she spends a lot of time in the form of a black cat (OOH! Maybe Lily used to talk to her in cat form because she didn't know she was a person??).
    5 is a diviner and midwife, I'm not sure what else! I think she's 35-40 and one of Senshi's first concubines. MAYBE Lily used to talk to her about what it was like to have kids CAUSE SHE WANTS TO HAVE KIDS that fits I'm a genius.
    6 was an assassin who fell in love with Senshi and now she's in hiding in the harem. She helps out 1 and 2 but I'm not sure if they trust her or not. 20 years old.
    7 is a priestess of fertility (life cleric, at least level 5-10) lover not a fighter, has like 10 kids, at least 4 of whom are sets of twins, maybe she has triplets? She's 24.
    8 is a gift, the daughter of a Lady who's been trying to woo Senshi for some time now. I'd say she's got 1 level of Rogue (persuasion + Athletics expertise) 2 levels of fighter and 5 of open hand monk. She's 19 so maybe she was friends with Lily cause of their similar ages?
    9 is the assistant and student of number 11, she's a level 7 conjurer who specializes in Galder's tower, she's 20.
    10 is the queen of a gang of bandits Senshi captured, she offered herself in exchange for the freedom of her gang. Senshi accepted and even hired her gang so they could earn an honest living. She's 32 and has 10 levels of Brute Fighter.
    11 is a level 12 Conjurer who fell in love with Senshi and made a new wing on his harem with repeated castings of Galder's tower. She's 24.

That's all I've got! I'll be grateful for anything you write!
    Official girltoy of O-Chul's harem. Join the harem here! http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...-harem-sign-up!

Haley and Therkla + Elan = Perfect

28. - Top - End - #658

Quote Originally Posted by Undyne View Post
    A new character to help keep this in recent- A human fighter, born blind. My table uses the Unearthed Arcana for swapping features, so he uses the Blind Fighting fighting style, and my DM has a home-brew rule for characters born blind- Along with the downsides of being blind, you have advantage on perception based on hearing.
    Jonathan's story begins prior to his birth- 1 month before it. His mother, Alice, was a beautiful woman, married to a kind man named Wolfgang. But one day, her sense of vanity was her downfall- the gods cursed her to become a Gorgon (Medusa, not metal bull) and her husband was right in front of her as it happened- Her first victim, the first turned to stone, the one she had loved. She ran, going into a cave, and one month later, she gave birth to Jonathan. She tried to not look at him, but his babbling made her so happy. She looked at him, and saw his silver-grey eyes; He was blind, and thus immune to her petrifying glare. She hugs him, crying in joy with the knowledge that at least one god was on her side. A few years later, and Jonathan takes a blade from a man who had been sent to kill his mother, and learned the art of blind combat. Every now and then, he goes to his mothers cave and alerts her of his presence- 1 echoing tap of a sword on the floor if its just him, 3 if he has guests so she can put on a blindfold, and to make sure no one can trick her, he also hums a melody she taught him so she knows its him.
    I really did a deep dive of your mother - because I feel like that's everything that drives your character.
    From protecting her - to the "mission" I give your character for a reason to be traveling.
    This was a lot of fun to write (clearly, as it ventured into 3 pages in length!)
    Hope you enjoy it - would love to hear feedback! (Helps me, and helps keep this thread alive!)
    Enjoy!
    ================

Everyone knew the name Avaleena Starway; the story had been that she’d been touched by the gods themselves. Her fiery red locks of hair seemed to capture the rays of the sun and draped well past her knees; her green eyes were like the blooming pastures of the grasslands; her skin was soft to the touch, like the most expensive silk, and she seemed to move with the grace of a cat, with hips that seemed to move like a slithering snake. Some even suggested that she might be the personification of Sune, the goddess of beauty and love, herself.

Despite this, Avaleena was humble and married a young farmer by the name of Korien Rasade. Korien was a simple man who loved Avaleena because she frequently told him that he was much better than the “simple person” he believed himself to be. Koiren could never understand how Avaleena, who could have married anyone; including some of the richest men in the neighboring lands, had chosen him.

They lived happily for a year; until one day, a band of brigands made their way to the town and caused disturbances and trouble throughout the town. One of them had seen Avaleena and taken an interest in her. Koiren stepped into the tavern just as he saw the brigand handling her. With all that Avaleena had said to him in the past year; Koiren felt confident he could handle a single brigand. He turned and locked the door to the tavern, which shocked others in the tavern who’d always known Koiren to be quiet and reclusive. Koiren reached for the sword on the wall and pointed at the brigand, “You will unhand my wife and leave this place; alive or dead, the choice is yours.”

The brigand named, Gorgus Bloodbane, stood and laughed. He was a large fellow, with as many cuts and scars on his skin so that it looked like an old parchment of a well-traveled city.

Still, Koiren did not back down, despite the screams and protests of Avaleena.

Despite Koiren’s courage, that battle was over, before it began, with Gorgus blocking the clumpy thrust, and impaling Koiren to the wall – to the gasps and horrors of those who watched. It was Avaleena who took Gorgus’ dagger from his own belt and plunged it into the brigand’s back who howled in fury and pain and back handed her. He grabbed her by her fiery red hair and threatened to slit her throat, but thought it would be better that she go on living, knowing that her husband died in front of her eyes; and with that, Gorgus left.

The town buried Koiren as a hero, and Avaleena soon learned she was pregnant with his child. Despite her ever growing belly, the people of the town still catered to her every need; some who perhaps felt sorry that she had lost Koiren, others who had hoped to gain favor with her, and win her hand; and others still, who continued to believe she was a representation of Sune. The compliments were never ending when it came to speaking to Avaleena.

Knowing that she would soon be giving birth to a child, she accepted the hand of a local baron who would be able to provide for her financially. She did this so that her child could have the best life ahead of them, without having to work a farm or worry where their next meal might come from. The baron – a human by the name of Baron Marcus Castlemaine – promised that the unborn child would be treated and considered as family.

For eight months, Avaleena was dotted on by Baron Marcus Castlemaine and his servants. He ensured her every need was met, and that a servant was at her side, every moment of her life. Avaleena’s servants continued the influx of compliments, some of the male assistances, fighting to be the one to help her; some working well beyond what one would consider healthy.

Even one month before she was going to give birth, Avaleena still looked incredibly beautiful; perhaps even more so now than ever; as her skin seemed to radiate that motherly glow. And perhaps it was the gods – perhaps a jealous woman – but on the night of the full moon, Avaleena’s life changed forever.

She awoke one day and peered over at Baron Marcus Castlemaine – and to her surprise, he had let out a scream – before his flesh turned to stone. His guards rushed in to see what was going on – and even they too – turned to stone. Avaleena soon discovered, anyone who could see into her eyes, had their flesh turned to stone. She’d been cursed!

She, though still pregnant, quickly hid her eyes, and fled to a nearby cave, where she lived on whatever she could find for food, before delivering her own child into the world. Fearful that she would turn her own child to stone, she did not look at him; even as he cried for his mother. Days went by and she knew not what to do, and finally realized, that turning him to stone would end his misery; for there was no way for her to bring him to someone to tend to him. She would not risk entering the town and turning anyone else to stone.

She took a deep breath, and picked up her weak child, and to her surprise, the infant’s giggles continued. She looked closely and saw – perhaps a blessing or a curse – that her son was blind. The mark of the silvery white eyes! She pressed him close to her body, fed him from the milk of her breast and hunted for him, killing animals to feed him.

The boy, for which she named Jonathan, learned to grow up with his blindness. Where he could not see, he could hear and taste things better than those gifted with sight. And those senses would come into play; after all, despite it being sixteen years since she’d fled – the world had not forgotten and had placed a bounty on Avaleena’s head – for the murder of Baron Marcus Castlemaine.

One such bounty hunter had finally picked up the pieces, heard the rumors of the “woman in the caves” and decided to come calling. Jonathon knew of his mother’s story; she – in a weeping tale – explained the tragedy of Jonathan’s father and the curse that had befallen his mother. And Jonathon vowed to find out who had cursed her – whether mortal or deity – and find a way for the curse to be undone.

But first, the bounty hunter.

Jonathan used his ability to know the caves inside and out, using the darkness to lure the bounty hunter away from his mother; using his sense of hearing to always know where the bounty hunter was. He had made a trap that – once triggered – would release a boulder crushing the opponent. Jonathan effortlessly led the Bounty Hunter here, triggering the trap – and killing the man who had come collect his mother’s head. Jonathan then felt around until he found the man’s body and took from him what he could (the armor had been crushed, but the sword had been tossed aside as the boulder came for the man). Jonathan trained to use the sword for a year, before he told his mother his plan – to find a way to break the curse.

But before he did that – there was one more thing he had to do.

In an old town, miles away, Jonathan opened a door. Using the tip of the sword, to tap on the ground, to guide him as he walked, his sightless eyes looked around the room. “Gorgus Bloodbane,” he smiled, though he could not see his opponent. An older, weathered man, stood, still towering, still intimidating – if one could see him.

“Do I know you, boy?”

“Me?” Jonathan shook his head. “No. But you knew my father.”

“Oh? What’s his name?” the large man named Gorgus eyed Jonathan.

“Koiren,” Jonathan replied, “Koiren Rasade.”

“Doesn’t ring a bell,” the man shrugged.

“You murdered him,” Jonathan said, as he lifted his sword. “And I’ve come to kill you.”

“You? A blind boy?” Gorgus laughed and waved the boy away. “Don’t be foolish. I am giving you one chance to walk away.”

“I thank you and decline your offer to walk away,” Jonathan smiled. “Tonight, I send your soul to the planes of hell to burn forever. You started the curse – and so I must kill you.”

“I don’t know what curse you speak of,” Gorgus drew his massive blade, “but I’ve had enough of you.” He lunged forward, but Jonathan could hear the whistling of the sword and easily stepped to the side and with one quick slice brought his blade down, slitting Gorgus’ throat. He collapsed to the ground grasping his neck as blood exploded between his fingers.

Jonathan kneeled down, next to the sound he could hear the gurgling, and waited until it stopped. He cut the purse off of Gorgus’ belt and threw it in the direction he could hear the labored breathing of those who had just witnessed this. “Take his gold to pay for the clean up. Good day to you all,” and with that, Jonathan sheathed his sword and walked out the door.
    Last edited by Tawmis; 2020-02-24 at 04:50 PM.

29. - Top - End - #659
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I absolutely love what you're doing here because I like creating new characters but I'm not as good at writing them a proper backstory

The one i'd love a backstory for is a high elf noble who's 1 level arcana cleric followed by divination wizard
    My idea is that he's always been decently proficient with magic and is given power by a god and a mission that he needs to do sometime in the future after improving upon his powers. He's too arrogant to receive powers from a god or anyone for that matter however and decides to become a divination wizard instead, still training to complete the mission that he knows he someday must complete.

Thanks in advance for doing this, i hope you around to doing my character.

30. - Top - End - #660

Quote Originally Posted by Barebarian View Post
    NICE forum's back!
    I've been playing Lily pretty much since you wrote her up (Ty!) but my group's been on hiatus for a bit and my DM recommended I get some more characters written up in case Senshi maaaaaybe shows up sometime soon.
    She's really enjoyed playing Furea and Kosai so I wanted to flesh out their background and Lily's with a whole bunch of other harem girls at once, and then I found this picture and I got a whole lot of ideas at once!
    1 and 2 Entered Senshi's harem.......
    That's all I've got! I'll be grateful for anything you write!
    Added; but I will probably do others before yours (even if they come after), especially first time requestors since your primary one is done and this will be fluff.

For example, I would do this one before yours:
    Quote Originally Posted by Svantis View Post
    I absolutely love what you're doing here because I like creating new characters but I'm not as good at writing them a proper backstory

The one i'd love a backstory for is a high elf noble who's 1 level arcana cleric followed by divination wizard
    My idea is that he's always been decently proficient with magic and is given power by a god and a mission that he needs to do sometime in the future after improving upon his powers. He's too arrogant to receive powers from a god or anyone for that matter however and decides to become a divination wizard instead, still training to complete the mission that he knows he someday must complete.

Thanks in advance for doing this, i hope you around to doing my character.
    Consider this added. :)