New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: New Sonic trailer, with updated design

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    It's not like there's anything else to see, anyway.
    This is my reaction too. The trailers didn't wow me, but it might be a good enough excuse to get out of the house for a bit. As long as I don't regret seeing it afterwards, it'll be a win.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

It was perfectly fine, which I guess is close to perfection for a video game movie.
    Sadly, I think this might have been the first movie in a long time I've seen in German because nobody's airing a kids movie in English here..
    But I hardly minded. Was it perfect? No. But it was entertaining enough for 90 minutes and Mr Carrey got me nostalgic more than Sonic did, to be honest. I could still list a bunch of problems but for a kids movie and a video game movie I won't complain.

(not sure how I'd compare it to the obvious (?) genre rival Detective Pikachu but going with my gut I'd say they are about on par)
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Watched it this weekend.

Turned out to be pretty entertaining. Not amazing, but fun enough for me to enjoy my time.
    And it looks like it'll make a hefty chunk of money... Who would have imagined that listening to your audience would be more profitable than antagonizing and gaslighting them, huh?

Oh, right... EVERYONE. EVERYONE KNEW THAT. But apparently Hollywood has to learn this basic lesson again... And sadly, they aren't the only ones...
    Homebrew Stuff:

4. - Top - End - #64
    Firbolg in the Playground

Oh, right... EVERYONE. EVERYONE KNEW THAT. But apparently Hollywood has to learn this basic lesson again... And sadly, they aren't the only ones...
    Scott.
    Pilgrim.

There's a ton of old baggage about properties with strong geek-culture attachment that comes straight from that movie's failure. It reviewed well with both audiences and critics, nobody saw it, then it was a big piracy target when it hit video.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Scott.
    Pilgrim.

There's a ton of old baggage about properties with strong geek-culture attachment that comes straight from that movie's failure. It reviewed well with both audiences and critics, nobody saw it, then it was a big piracy target when it hit video.
    I think that was more a case of Scott Pilgrim being a relatively unknown franchise. It was popular, but not as popular as they thought, IMHO. I know plenty of geeks who barely knew anything about the series at the time (myself included).

I still maintain that trying to listen and please your audience will far more often than not be much more profitable than antagonizing, gas-lighting and slandering them. Turns out, people don't like that, and are less than eager to spend their hard-earned money to be lectured by multi-billionaire corporations and out-of-touch celebrities and cry-bullies.

But, hey... They can keep trying. I'm perfectly fine keeping my money in my wallet. And I'm clearly not alone in that.
    Homebrew Stuff:

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

I still maintain that trying to listen and please your audience will far more often than not be much more profitable than antagonizing, gas-lighting and slandering them. Turns out, people don't like that, and are less than eager to spend their hard-earned money to be lectured by multi-billionaire corporations and out-of-touch celebrities and cry-bullies.
    Second this. This is part of why I swore off ESO for the year.
    Last edited by Kareeah_Indaga; 2020-03-03 at 06:00 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    Second this. This is part of why I swore off ESO for the year.
    Elder Scrolls Online?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Spoiler: Finally done saw it
    Show
    So it was way better than I expected (which was a very low bar, to be fair), but there were two issues I had pretty much the entire time. The first being that characters seemed to have audience knowledge throughout; for example, Robotnik never showed any credentials, but the sheriff believed him 100%, despite Robotnik starting off by lying about who he was.
    Or Tom knowing Robotnik's name, despite (I believe) him never hearing it. Things like that.

Then there was the hanging chad of Tom being openly labelled as a terrorist, with a national broadcast, and then not being recognized as such by anyone but his sister-in-law and the government or media never revoking said status.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Spoiler: Finally done saw it
    Show
    So it was way better than I expected (which was a very low bar, to be fair), but there were two issues I had pretty much the entire time. The first being that characters seemed to have audience knowledge throughout; for example, Robotnik never showed any credentials, but the sheriff believed him 100%, despite Robotnik starting off by lying about who he was.
    Or Tom knowing Robotnik's name, despite (I believe) him never hearing it. Things like that.

Then there was the hanging chad of Tom being openly labelled as a terrorist, with a national broadcast, and then not being recognized as such by anyone but his sister-in-law and the government or media never revoking said status.
    I didn't notice the first thing, maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention. But yes, the second was a big issue.
    Putting aside whether they want to keep this kind of secret or start a(n inter)national manhunt, nobody recognizing him was extremely weird, even if it was only a short time.
    I guess they might have revoked it after the finale, though, but not sure how well that would work.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    I didn't notice the first thing, maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe a better example would be Robotnik seizing the quill immediately and using it as proof that Donut Lord was harboring Sonic. Robotnik, at that point, had a footprint. Why does he see the quill as anything other than an unknown item lying around? He's never seen Sonic at that point. But it's all the proof he needs somehow.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe a better example would be Robotnik seizing the quill immediately and using it as proof that Donut Lord was harboring Sonic. Robotnik, at that point, had a footprint. Why does he see the quill as anything other than an unknown item lying around? He's never seen Sonic at that point. But it's all the proof he needs somehow.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Because the quill is very unusual and in close proximity to Sonic’s last position so it is likely that the two are connected. And if they aren’t the only consequence would be to have inconvenienced Tom, which Robotnik won’t lose sleep over.

Also he is very cocky.
    Forum Wisdom

12. - Top - End - #72
    Spamalot in the Playground

Saw the movie over last weekend and laughed a lot more than I expected. Jim Carey really gave it his A game humor.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Saw it today. Impressions as follows:

1.) I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.
    2.) Jim Carrey was not a good fit for Robotnik.
    3.) I desperately want to see a crossover between this and Iron Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Elder Scrolls Online?
    Correct.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe I was imagining things, but I thought I saw footprints in the driveway gravel leading up to Donut Lord's house when Robotnik was walking up. Presumably they were Sonic's. And then the quill would have just been obviously out-of-place enough to act as confirmation.
    Last edited by Kareeah_Indaga; 2020-03-07 at 02:15 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Correct.
    I will probably regret asking but what do you mean exactly?
    Forum Wisdom

15. - Top - End - #75
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I will probably regret asking but what do you mean exactly?
    Im guessing but I assume the devs kept ignoring the customers and changing stuff in terrible ways, ticking off the player base. I still remember the good old days of everquest, when they nerfed monks so hard it spawned literally thousands upon thousands of pages of rage on the class message board. Everything from carefully gathered evidence of exactly how many ways the nerf messed the class up to inventive screaming about how and in what painful time frame they wanted the devs to die. They literally had to create an entire section for monk rage posts on the class forum to contain it all so it wouldnt bury everything else on the message board. I mean, every time a class gets a nerf the class complains about how unfair it is, but this was such a massive backlash I tend to think the devs only kept it in place for as long as they did out of spite and some strange desire to not make it look like they could be forced to backtrack by the players.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Im guessing but I assume the devs kept ignoring the customers and changing stuff in terrible ways, ticking off the player base.
    In general yes. In the interest of not derailing this further please go to the Elder Scrolls thread and I'll answer there.

ON TOPIC...was it just me or were the bad guys at the beginning

Spoiler
    Show
    Echidnas?

Because this raises questions about how they're going to do Knuckles.
    Last edited by Kareeah_Indaga; 2020-03-08 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Updating the link to point to the actual relevant post instead of the thread

17. - Top - End - #77
    Spamalot in the Playground

ON TOPIC...was it just me or were the bad guys at the beginning
    Spoiler
    Show
    Echidnas?

Because this raises questions about how they're going to do Knuckles.
    They seemed
    Spoiler
    Show
    to be Echidnas to me. Sounds like a good setup to show Knuckles' antagonist side against Sonic.

With Tails at the end looking for Sonic, my guess is there's a small resistance movement fighting back against that tribe back in Sonic's home dimension.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

18. - Top - End - #78
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    They seemed
    Spoiler
    Show
    to be Echidnas to me. Sounds like a good setup to show Knuckles' antagonist side against Sonic.

With Tails at the end looking for Sonic, my guess is there's a small resistance movement fighting back against that tribe back in Sonic's home dimension.
    Spoiler: upon the subject of sequels
    Show

I actually hope Jimbotnik is the ultimate threat at the end via Metal Sonic. I think that's the endpoint for the quill anyway. One of the cool things about the (minimalist) story in Sonic 3 was pulling back after the Sonic vs Knuckles fight and seeing the scale of Robotnik's plans.

Plus it would provide closure for Sonic's personal arc to, with his friends, fight the sociopathic embodiment of what other people would do with his powers.
    Then for a third movie Carrey would be perfect to play an over-the-edge madman that would either have the ruby from Mania or try and control Chaos. Wait no that last storyline draws too close to introducing Big the Cat.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC