New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Fyraltari's Fiercely Friendly Random Banter Thread #226

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    To their credit, they tried to let me down easy. There's still enough vagueness that I'm not sure what I did do or didn't do. Mostly I just feel pathetic. I've been afraid for a long time that anything good I touch turns to garbage. I guess that was right after all. I'd feel a little less lonely about the whole thing if I could talk about to anyone in my friend group, but they've got too much going on as it is.

...Phew. I'll try to post something less depressing. Maybe some jokes, yeah? They won't be funny but still.
    Do they actually have too much going on or are you using that as an excuse to self isolate? It is okay to lean on people, you are worth it and your friends know that.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ok, slightly off topic question:

Since the local grocer is always sold out of heavy whipping cream for my coffee, My question for all the coffee and tea drinkers is thus,

What is/would be the go to alternative to cream if you use is if you [collectively] had lost access to it?

I am not asking for a friend. I am using whole milk and it is nowhere near the same.
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Do they actually have too much going on or are you using that as an excuse to self isolate? It is okay to lean on people, you are worth it and your friends know that.
    Right now they're worried about one of a few things: Whether my (now) ex is doing OK, Smash Bros, or Animal Crossing. Nobody has responded to me, nobody has reached out to me.

I was afraid something like this would happen. Things like this always happen. Eventually people in my life have no use for me. It's understandable but it still hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by Insane Jeenyus View Post

Since the local grocer is always sold out of heavy whipping cream for my coffee, My question for all the coffee and tea drinkers is thus,

What is/would be the go to alternative to cream if you use is if you [collectively] had lost access to it?

I am not asking for a friend. I am using whole milk and it is nowhere near the same.
    I'd use half and half if it's available.
    Last edited by The Fury; 2020-03-19 at 07:02 AM.

4. - Top - End - #64

Right now their worried about one of a few things: Whether my (now) ex is doing OK, Smash Bros, or Animal Crossing. Nobody has responded to me, nobody has reached out to me.

I was afraid something like this would happen. Things like this always happen. Eventually people in my life have no use for me. It's understandable but it still hurts.
    I am sorry, but all I can give you is e-uncle-hugs.

I'd use half and half if it's available.
    Thank you for your response. it is much appreciated.
    Last edited by Insane Jeenyus; 2020-03-19 at 07:00 AM.

Side employment:

sig thread is here

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

To their credit, they tried to let me down easy. There's still enough vagueness that I'm not sure what I did do or didn't do. Mostly I just feel pathetic. I've been afraid for a long time that anything good I touch turns to garbage. I guess that was right after all.

Sending you my best wishes. I really hate it when people do that at either end of a relationship, but I understand not everybody can bounce back from 'it's not me it's you' as well as I can. Your thoughts are not true, but they will feel true for anywhere from weeks to years, and the only thing you can do is fight them and find the things you haven't turned to garbage.

The one time I got dumped was also by text, and I was just insulted. I'd seen them the day beforehand, they had ample opportunity to dump me in person, and yet they tried to distance themselves from the action as much as possible. Anybody who won't look you in the eyes when doing it was garbage in the first place (heck, the only time I've admitted having a crush in anyway but in person was when they'd already guessed and started bringing it up).
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not familiar with American cream terminology but the idea of putting actual cream in tea horrifies me on some inexpressible level anyway. I do put milk in but I tend to prefer (for tea) the less creamy stuff.

These days though I am trying only to buy unhomogenised dairy milk (which is creamy) so that goes in. Or oat milk.

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    28-32mm is scale better suited for painting/modelling. (Myself, I don't play wargames to have an excuse to paint figures, I paint figures to play wargames.) It's okay for urban conflicts which are mostly infantry based, and of course roleplaying games.

At 6mm, you cannot have the requisite amount of terrain density to have a realisitic map to use proper real-world tactics. (I.e. really hard thinking exercises.) You can't do Maneouvre Group, which is basically a real-world tactics simulator, at 6mm scale; it's too fiddly. (Because you have to do thing like turn the tank turrets, because your tanks can't see everywhere.)

6mm (and close approximation) is fine for BattleTech (but that, in essence, is nearly 28mm just lensed differently, because your key elements are pretty much the same size/proportional board share).

144 is the ideal scale for moderns/sci-fi, since vehicles are sensibly small enough (which also makes them a goodly chunk cheaper) you can have a reasonable number and still have room to maneouvre. (And I mean "maneouvre," not "be incapable of moving far enough to cross the board in less than 10 bounds" like a large number of wargames rules.) But which are big enough to allow you to turn the turrets sensibly. With village template and fold-flat buildings, you can locate an urban area enough to be able to properly fight over it (urban areas should have at least ten buildings, and far more buildings than infantry units) which priorly, you'd have to fight at 25/28. (This is becase at the klarger scales, you can afford to have a mm or two displacement in putting troop into or out of your building, where as at small scale, your margin for error is far less).
    Depends what period you're playing, I think. What I collect and in principle (though in practice rarely actually) play is either skirmish games or big-battalions historicals: specifically ancients and English Civil War, where relatively featureless battlefields are pretty much expected. For moderns (by which I mean anything 20th century or later) or sci-fi gaming then yeah, 6mm isn't going to work.
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2020-03-19 at 08:31 AM.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

7. - Top - End - #67
    Colossus in the Playground

Ugh. Deliberately avoiding my dumb brand of humor and talking about how upset I'm feeling isn't working. Especially since I just got dumped over text and I have nowhere else to talk about it.
    *sends hugs* I don't really have any advice for this, sorry, but you've got my support.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Ugh. Deliberately avoiding my dumb brand of humor and talking about how upset I'm feeling isn't working. Especially since I just got dumped over text and I have nowhere else to talk about it.
    You have my sympathy.
    To their credit, they tried to let me down easy. There's still enough vagueness that I'm not sure what I did do or didn't do. Mostly I just feel pathetic. I've been afraid for a long time that anything good I touch turns to garbage. I guess that was right after all. I'd feel a little less lonely about the whole thing if I could talk about to anyone in my friend group, but they've got too much going on as it is.

...Phew. I'll try to post something less depressing. Maybe some jokes, yeah? They won't be funny but still.
    Sometimes things just don't work out, and it's not really anyone's fault. And, just like all people, you deserve to have something better than that, even if you may disagree at the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    I'm not familiar with American cream terminology but the idea of putting actual cream in tea horrifies me on some inexpressible level anyway. I do put milk in but I tend to prefer (for tea) the less creamy stuff.
    So am I, so I looked and found this handy guide!

UK cream guide
    NAME MIN MILK FAT MAIN USES
    Clotted cream 55% Spooned, or spread like butter. A traditional part of a cream tea.
    Extra-thick double cream 48% Thickest available fresh cream, spooned onto pies, puddings, and desserts (cannot be poured due to its consistency)
    Double cream 48% Whips easily and thickest for puddings and desserts, can be piped once whipped
    Whipping cream 35% Whips well but lighter, can be piped once whipped
    Whipped cream 35% Decorations on cakes, topping for ice cream, fruit and so on.
    Sterilized cream 23% ?
    Cream/Single cream 18% Poured over puddings, used in sauces and added to coffee.
    Sterilized half cream 12% ?
    Half cream ? Some cocktails

US cream guide
    Half and half >10.5% To whiten coffee (and tea).
    Light cream/Table cream/Coffee cream >18% An old style product for whitening coffee and also as an enriching ingredient in sauces and other recipes
    Whipping cream >30% <36% Used in sauces and soups and as a pourable or whipped garnish. Whipping will only attain soft peaks. Some products labeled "whipping cream" contain small amounts of gelatin as an added stabilizer for improved whipping.
    Heavy cream/Heavy whipping cream >36% For whipping when small stable peaks are desired. Also used as a luxurious pourable garnish on fresh fruit and hot cereals.
    Manufacturer's cream >40% Used in commercial and professional production applications. Not generally available at retail until recently.

If you go to the store, the most common one you'll find is heavy whipping cream. At least, in the dairy aisle. It's what I use in cooking, like when I make stroganoff. Seems like y'all Brits got us handily beat on the cream front, I may need to check out this other Birmingham sometime.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Where's evaporated milk, otherwise known as the pudding equvilent of tomato sauce?

Depends what period you're playing, I think. What I collect and in principle (though in practice rarely actually) play is either skirmish games or big-battalions historicals: specifically ancients and English Civil War, where relatively featureless battlefields are pretty much expected. For moderns (by which I mean anything 20th century or later) or sci-fi gaming then yeah, 6mm isn't going to work.
    Fair. Yes, ECW and such are definitely less dependant on needing the terrain density, and the figure scale for those games tends to be more or less an abstraction anyway, because you're never using one-to-one anyway (we played 15mm using DBM and Horde of the Things (well, in the end, because we are talking BLEAKBANE here, we played DBM-H, which was a conversion of HotT to DBM-scale.)

(Dad tried 15mm sci-fi early on, but decided it didn't work in place of 25 and late, when he and his mate wrote Maneouvre Group, found 12mm is a much better fit.)

10. - Top - End - #70

Where's evaporated milk, otherwise known as the pudding equvilent of tomato sauce?
    Off with the other milks, since this is about types of cream.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Off with the other milks, since this is about types of cream.
    Cream is basically fancy milk.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

12. - Top - End - #72

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Cream is basically fancy milk.
    So those tables are the fancy tables, and the condensed milk still isn't fancy enough.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

So those tables are the fancy tables, and the condensed milk still isn't fancy enough.
    I mean, sure, but what about evaporated milk?
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

14. - Top - End - #74

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I mean, sure, but what about evaporated milk?
    Still not fancy enough. I don't think evaporated milk even knows what a tuxedo is!

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

Evaporated milk is just whole milk with some water removed. Whole milk is roughly 4%.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Evaporated/condensed milk only comes in cans (that I know of), it's more liquid than cream, but it is very concentrated and may have a higher fat and sugar content.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Colossus in the Playground

I went for a walk today, to get some fresh air and to banish the leg demons. I decided to take some pictures, of which I will share one; of the cool wood portal thing we have down town.

Behold; a hole in space and time.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I went for a walk today, to get some fresh air and to banish the leg demons. I decided to take some pictures, of which I will share one; of the cool wood portal thing we have down town.

Very nice indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #79

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post

It must be a hole through time because there's snow around it! We haven't had snow in months.

I mean, I live in low-land California, we haven't had snow in years. But we also haven't had snow in months.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

You have my sympathy.

Sometimes things just don't work out, and it's not really anyone's fault. And, just like all people, you deserve to have something better than that, even if you may disagree at the time.

<snip>

If you go to the store, the most common one you'll find is heavy whipping cream. At least, in the dairy aisle. It's what I use in cooking, like when I make stroganoff. Seems like y'all Brits got us handily beat on the cream front, I may need to check out this other Birmingham sometime.
    That is curious: it seems that our cream is indeed "creamier" than yours. When I think of cream, I don't tend to picture anything lighter than single cream, and I don't really use anything lighter than double cream at home. Which is probably why the idea of putting cream in tea/coffee seems weird to me, because when I think "cream" I'm picturing something much heavier-duty than is actually used - whereas in fact it's probably not far off the unhomogenised milk that I now use (including for tea).
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

21. - Top - End - #81

Well, for my coffee or making roux I use heavy whipping cream

Side employment:

sig thread is here

22. - Top - End - #82

That is curious: it seems that our cream is indeed "creamier" than yours. When I think of cream, I don't tend to picture anything lighter than single cream, and I don't really use anything lighter than double cream at home.
    I've never heard of light cream or "whipping cream" without the heavy over here (and obviously manufacturers cream). Half and Half is supposed to be half milk, half cream, and I never questioned the "cream" part until now. But if someone in the US says cream, they pretty much mean heavy whipping cream.
    Well, for my coffee or making roux I use heavy whipping cream
    Case in point!

23. - Top - End - #83
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

I'd never heard of "hard cider" until there was a need to distinguish "cider" from "sparkling juice (aka soft cider)".
    Last edited by Rawhide; 2020-03-19 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Y'all killed Twilight

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

24. - Top - End - #84

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    I'd never heard of "hard cider" until there was a need to distinguish "cider" from "sparkling juice (aka soft cider)".
    Y'all got carbonated non-alcoholic cider?

25. - Top - End - #85

Y'all got carbonated non-alcoholic cider?
    I do not understand.

Here cider is alcoholic. Over in the US, they are such weaklings that they had to make non-alcoholic cider, thus the need to distinguish "hard cider".

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

26. - Top - End - #86

I do not understand.

Here cider is alcoholic. Over in the US, they are such weaklings that they had to make non-alcoholic cider, thus the need to distinguish "hard cider".
    I mean if I go to the store and grab a jug of apple cider, I'm getting apple juice that hasn't been pasteurized and filtered. It's definitely not "sparkling".

27. - Top - End - #87

I mean if I go to the store and grab a jug of apple cider, I'm getting apple juice that hasn't been pasteurized and filtered. It's definitely not "sparkling".
    Ok, fine, not sparkling.

But this is worse, it's just plain old juice. And it's not even consistent across the US! There's pasteurised and/or filtered apple cider, and unpasteurised and/or unfiltered apple juice. Some are even sparkling!

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

And it's not even consistent across the US!
    To be fair, I feel like half of America's jollies come from confusing most Commonwealth countries with their stuff. (And vice versa for said Commonwealth countries.)

29. - Top - End - #89

Ok, fine, not sparkling.

But this is worse, it's just plain old juice. And it's not even consistent across the US! There's pasteurised and/or filtered apple cider, and unpasteurised and/or unfiltered apple juice.
    Last I knew it was standardized; filtered and pasteurized is juice, in for both is cider, fermented is hard cider.

Also, on that "weak Americans" bit... this is how I imagine all Aussies talking to Americans.

ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    To be fair, I feel like half of America's jollies come from confusing most Commonwealth countries with their stuff. (And vice versa for said Commonwealth countries.)
    And I'd show you how I imagine Canadians if youtube had that Corner Gas clip where Hank is confused about when to use metric vs American Customary Units.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-03-19 at 10:01 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90

Last I knew it was standardized; filtered and pasteurized is juice, in for both is cider
    Not standardised, not a legal distinction. Some companies capitalise on this...