New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1480
  1. - Top - End - #1111
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

Lizuga restores some more of Lebwen's strength, steps to flank the nearest shadow and cleaves it for 7 damage, leaving a visible gap. Iris sprays a flask of holy water on that same shadow for 2 damage. By this point you can see that the shadow is barely holding itself together. Adalbert and Justin do their best, but the high hopes are on Lebwen.

Spoiler
    Show
    Justin does not flank with Lebwen (Lizuga flanks first), but he does provide a +2 against that same shadow.

=> Lebwen

2. - Top - End - #1112
    Ettin in the Playground

Lebwen's stands a little taller as his strength partially returns. Again attacking the shadow to his left, then casting a spell and attacking again.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

str 9 (16-12+3-1+3)

attack vs N20
    (1d20+10)[28]3BAB, -1 str, +2 naturalist, +1 weapon, +1 AP enhancement, +2 flank, +2 assist (I think that's everything) *subtract -2 for combat casting
    (1d8+1)[3]-1str, +1 weapon, +1AP enhancement
    (1d6)[6] fire damage, assuming elemental touch does anything in this case, not working for the extra attack

elemental touch round 3/4

from OOC
    cast defensively
    (1d20+16)[19](+4 combat casting, +4 caster level, +4 int modifier) vs DC17 (15+ 2x1 spell level)

"free" attack from spellstrike, assuming the defensive casting passes
    (1d20+8)[11]3BAB, -1 str, +2 naturalist, +1 weapon, +1 AP enhancement, +2 flank, +2 assist, -2 spell combat(I think that's everything)
    (1d8+1)[7]-1str, +1 weapon, +1AP enhancement
    (1d6)[5] elemental touch
    (4d6)[18] shocking grasp

*of course rolled 2 3s in a row, my d6s are rolling higher than the d20s

So the spell goes off. I think the spell has to come before the attack, so I can't do the first attack and then cast the spell and get the free attack, so the shocking grasp would actually hit on the hit that lands first.
    "magus can choose to cast the spell first or make the weapon attacks first, but if he has more than one attack, he cannot cast the spell between weapon attacks."
    but the wording of spellstrike: "whenever a magus casts a spell with a range of “touch” from the magus spell list, he can deliver the spell through any weapon he is wielding as part of a melee attack. Instead of the free melee touch attack normally allowed to deliver the spell, a magus can make one free melee attack with his weapon (at his highest base attack bonus) as part of casting this spell." Sort of muddies that, in that the extra attack comes from the spell, which it explicitly says can be cast after the standard attacks.

So if the spell can go last then the shocking grasp will not be used if the second hit misses, but if it has to be before to get the second attack then the shocking grasp will be on the first attack that lands. Really only matters if the wounded one would die from the normal attack without the shocking grasp added damage.
    Last edited by Erloas; 2020-04-17 at 03:19 PM.

3. - Top - End - #1113
    Ettin in the Playground

Lebwen casts a spell then makes a normal attack against the shadow to his left. He hits it for 4 total damage and the shadow slowly dissolves in the air. Lebwen then tries to hit another shadow with the sword and the spell. He misses, but he is still holding the charge. The shadows attack him, sapping more of his strength. They do not seem to be affected by Justin's attempt at diversion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Shadow: (1d20+4)[19] touch for (1d6)[4] strength
    Shadow: (1d20+4)[21] touch for (1d6)[2] strength
    Lebwen now has just 3 points of strength by my count.

=> Party (everyone, any order)

4. - Top - End - #1114
    Troll in the Playground

Lizuga Manescu
    AC 18+2, Touch 11+2, FF 19, CMD 17|Fort +5+2 Ref +2+2 Will +7+2|HP: 31/31

Lizuga steps in besides Lebwen, shoring up his strength once more. "BACK! You will NOT take him", she roars, as she cleaves through one of the shadows again.

Triage 1/4. Maneuvers readied: Oaken Shield, Piercing Strike, Armor-piercing Thrust, Curate's Strike. Spoils of War Stance.

Step to N20. Swift (Triage) to heal Lebwen for 3 Str damage. 5' step to O20. Attack whichever Shadow is most wounded. attack - (1d20+10)[15], damage - (1d10+7)[13]
    Semper ludens.

5. - Top - End - #1115
    Titan in the Playground

Justen seeing Lizuga once more prop up Lebwen and buoyed by the disappearance of one of the shadows rolls around one of the nearest shadows, "Get this one Lebwen, I'll distract it.." Seeking to roll behind the nearest one to Lebewn he tries to drive his blades through the shadow to entice it to turn to him rather than further weaken his stricken companion

Show

Move to flank with Lebwn
    Acrobatics if needed (1d20+11)[30]
    Assist his attack roll (1d20+9)[18] vs DC 10 to give him +2 to hit (on top of the flanking)
    If attacked and hit I'll counter by dancing out the way (1d20+11)[30] vs attack roll
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

6. - Top - End - #1116
    Titan in the Playground

You'll have to go through me first. His hand glows with the magical light of healing, as the scholar tries to grasp a part of the shadow.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting CLW offensively (unsure if I can cast to hold a charge, move and touch in the same turn so): Concentration (1d20+7)[21]
    Attack: (1d20+3)[23]
    Damage: (1d8+4)[5]

7. - Top - End - #1117
    Ettin in the Playground

Iris

Iris pops the cork of the flask with her teeth and, seeing an opportunity, dashes forward into the melee after Justin.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Standard: Switch Teamwork Feat (Friendly Fire Maneuvers -> Escape Route)
    Move: Move to N22 to flank w Lizuga (if that space is available) or O22 (flank with Lebwen). No AoO due to Escape Route if Lizuga is at N20. Not entirely sure if the holy water can actually be used to threaten/ flank, but the will is there.

8. - Top - End - #1118
    Ettin in the Playground

Feeling a little more confident after the first one dissipates, but still very weak, Lebwen attacks again at another shadow.

Show

str 6 after the strength heal.
    round 4/4 for elemental touch

Attacking whichever I have the flank bonus against
    (1d20+9)[14] 3BAB, -2 str, +2 naturalist, +1 weapon, +1 AP enhancement, +2 flank, +2 assist
    (1d8)[1]-2str, +1 weapon, +1AP enhancement
    (1d6)[6] elemental touch - fire
    (4d6)[14] shocking grasp

I'm pretty sure the "free attack" from the shocking grasp is only the turn I cast it, not every turn until it hits, correct?

9. - Top - End - #1119
    Ettin in the Playground

Lizuga heals Lebwen's strength again and hits the western shadow for 6 damage. Adalbert touches another one with positive energy for 2 damage. Iris and Justin nimbly move around the shadows, trying to distract them and help Lebwen attack. One shadow gets momentarily distracted and is hit by Lebwen's flaming shocking sword for 10 total damage. It dissipates in the air. The remaining shadow hisses at Lizuga, but attacks Lebwen anyway. It hits again and Lebwen finds himself weaker and barely able to stand.

Spoiler
    Show
    I think Lizuga's second step back to O20 is in error and a copy-pasting artifact. No crits without ghost touch if I remember correctly. You could not flank with a flask of holy water, but you can aid another with it, if you later want to. It seems the magus' "extra" attack is just him making a two-weapon full attack with a spell in one hand and weapon in another hand (with somewhat weird option to substitute weapon attack for touch attack). So, as long as you have a weapon and a charge, you can make said full attack. That said, Lebwen barely hits and adding there -2 for two-weapon attack would not make things any better, so I will proceed with just one attack for this round.

Shadow: (1d20+4)[17] touch for (1d6)[4] => Lebwen's at 2

10. - Top - End - #1120
    Troll in the Playground

Lizuga Manescu

Lizuga puts a hand on Lebwen's back to restore his strength. She slips by the shadow, trying to surround it even further. But her focus is on her friend, not her enemy, and her sword misses the mark.

Triage 0/4. Maneuvers readied: Oaken Shield, Piercing Strike, Armor-piercing Thrust, Curate's Strike. Spoils of War Stance.

Heal Lebwen for 3 Str. Step to O21. attack - (1d20+10)[11], damage - (1d10+7)[15]
    Last edited by CasualViking; 2020-04-18 at 11:49 PM.
    Semper ludens.

11. - Top - End - #1121
    Ettin in the Playground

Feeling weak and desperate, Lebwen uses some energy to recall his spell then casts it again, attacking with all he has left.

Show

use arcane pool to spell recall shocking grasp, as a swift action
    then full attack with spell combat, casting shocking grasp

str 5 with heal

(1d20+6)[15]3BAB, -3 str, +2 naturalist, +1 weapon, +1 AP enhancement, +2 flank, +2 assist, -2 spell combat
    (1d8-1)[7]-3str, +1 weapon, +1AP enhancement
    (4d6)[17] shocking grasp

(1d20+6)[25]3BAB, -3 str, +2 naturalist, +1 weapon, +1 AP enhancement, +2 flank, +2 assist, -2 spell combat
    (1d8-1)[6]-3str, +1 weapon, +1AP enhancement
    (4d6)[15] shocking grasp

Of course shocking grasp will only go off on the first hit that lands.

edit: that one seems to be a potential crit, but since they can't be crit'd I guess it doesn't matter
    Last edited by Erloas; 2020-04-18 at 11:59 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1122
    Titan in the Playground

Justin

Well done Lebwen, well done Lizuga, keep it up" Justin shouts to the two colleagues with magical weapons able to harm these creatures. He slides in front of the last shadow tying to shield Lebwen with his body

Show

Move to be beside Lebwen
    Acrobatics if needed (1d20+11)[24]
    Assist his AC (1d20+9)[12] vs DC 10 to give him +2 to AC
    If attacked and hit I'll counter by dancing out the way (1d20+11)[13] vs attack roll

13. - Top - End - #1123
    Ettin in the Playground

Iris

With only one of the evil spirits remaining Iris again scatters holy water towards it, absently humming a tuneful hymn to help steady her nerves as she does.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Swift: Judgment -> Justice (+1 sacred to attack rolls)
    Standard: Holy water vs Ranged touch (no AoO) (1d20+10)[24] (+3 BAB, +4 Dex, +2 Naturalist +1 Judgment) damage (2d4)[3]

14. - Top - End - #1124
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, you, with the shady face. Adalbert says as he stabs at the shadow.

Spoiler
    Show
    Aid another for Lebwen: +4 if I hit AC 10 (1d20+3)[10]

15. - Top - End - #1125
    Ettin in the Playground

Lizuga misses. Lebwen almost misses, but thanks to Adalbert's destraction of the shadow he hits. The problem is, he fails the spell in the first place so he only deals 3 damage, which is not nearly enough. Iris sprinkles the shadow for 1 more damage. The shadow reaches out towards Lebwen again... it misses.

Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure if you can zap on both attacks, but anyway you get only one because no spell...

Shadow: (1d20+4)[10] touch for (1d6)[5]

16. - Top - End - #1126
    Titan in the Playground

Change of plans, why don't you drain someone half your size, eh? Adalbert taunts the creature.

Spoiler
    Show
    Aid Another, this time for +4 AC for Lebwen(1d20+3)[23]
    Naturalist still rolling.

17. - Top - End - #1127
    Troll in the Playground

Lizuga Manescu

"Lebwen. Get out". Lizuga carves another piece off the shadow.

Triage 0/4. Maneuvers readied: Oaken Shield, Piercing Strike, Armor-piercing Thrust, Curate's Strike. Spoils of War Stance.

attack - (1d20+10)[16], damage - (1d10+7)[11]
    Last edited by CasualViking; 2020-04-21 at 12:45 AM.
    Semper ludens.

18. - Top - End - #1128
    Ettin in the Playground

Iris

Iris throws the empty vials to one side and pulls out her morning star, waving and lunging with it trying to draw the spirits attention.

Spoiler: actions
    Show
    Move: Draw morning star
    Aid Another: (1d20+5)[25] vs DC 10 to give Lebwen +2 to attack

19. - Top - End - #1129
    Ettin in the Playground

"I'm too weak to run, I may as well go down swinging" Lebwen tries to yell, but comes out weak and strained. Again drawing on his power to cast a spell and attack the creature again.

Show

I'm over max load with just my armor at this point, so no running.

Use arcane pool to spell recall shocking grasp, as a swift action, there didn't seem to be any restriction on using it on the same spell or how often it can be used. 5/8 points remaining.
    then full attack with spell combat, casting shocking grasp

str 5

cast defensively
    (1d20+12)[19] DC 17 (+4 CL, +4 Int, +4 Concentration feat)

attack 1
    (1d20+6)[16]3BAB, -3 str, +2 naturalist, +1 weapon, +1 AP enhancement, +2 flank, +2 assist, -2 spell combat
    (1d8-1)[5]-3str, +1 weapon, +1AP enhancement

attack 2
    (1d20+6)[8]3BAB, -3 str, +2 naturalist, +1 weapon, +1 AP enhancement, +2 flank, +2 assist, -2 spell combat
    (1d8-1)[1]-3str, +1 weapon, +1AP enhancement

(4d6)[8] shocking grasp - add to whichever hits, assuming concentration works

20. - Top - End - #1130
    Ettin in the Playground

Lizuga swings the sword and leaves a visible gash in the shadow for 5 damage. Adalbert and Iris, lacking any real means to affect the shadow, do their best to help. Lebwen casts a spell again and strikes the shadow for 6 total damage. The cut and shocked shadow slowly dissolves in the air. You seem to have won.

Spoiler
    Show
    This was a CR 6 fight for your barely CR 4 party. I think it comes out as a brilliant example of substituting raw mechanical power for proper planning and preparation (I mean, it's not like you haven't been warned*).

*As things seems to go, I think I might have to say this again.

21. - Top - End - #1131
    Titan in the Playground

Justin

Justin steps forward, offering a shoulder to Lebwen and helping the man down to the floor gently. "Thank the Gods we they have gone." He glances around, just double checking the corners to see if there are additional shadows lurking in the edges of the room before he scouts around some more looking for anymore clear signs of danger.

Spoiler: Perception
    Show

(1d20+7)[17]

22. - Top - End - #1132
    Titan in the Playground

That is the hallway of shadows done. Adalbert notes. I am so sorry. I forgot the remember the notes in the diaries of Nualia's party. Two other things to note is any and all water down here can be cursed. And where there is a runewell, there must be these vile abominations we fought yesterday. Luckily, apparently we are more brutal than they are. The halfling shrugs, then scours the room.

I want every light source we can find to check this hallway. We don't want a simple pitfall trap getting us while we have a friend that can barely lift his belongings. he says using the two glowing kukris, the four flaming skulls and his own light spell to try and evenly light up the complete hallway. While this is done, he does check for traps thoroughly.

23. - Top - End - #1133
    Ettin in the Playground

Iris

Iris retrieves her bow and casts light to help with the illumination of the room. "Yes. It seems Nualia may have badly understated some of the dangers ahead. Here, let Shelyn help us." As everyone recovers and inspects the area Iris sings a soft tune and touches each of the group imbuing a brief blessing. She then turns her attention to helping with the search.

Spoiler: actions
    Show
    Cast Guidance on everyone in turn (Lasts 1 minute. +1 to a skill check, save or attack).

Cast detect magic & scan room.

Aid in the mundane search of the room (1d20+11)[31] (incl. +1 guidance)

24. - Top - End - #1134
    Ettin in the Playground

Adalbert takes some time to check carefully for traps. There seems to be none anywhere in the room. Iris focuses her attention on anything else that might be of interest. The carvings on the walls seem to depict the same man that was the model for the statue in the center of the chamber. A cerrain part of them on the western wall seems particularly pushable. Looking closer, Iris thinks she can see the contour of a secret door camuflaged as a fancy carved border of a fragment of carving.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing in the room seems magical other than what you have brought along.
    Last edited by u-b; 2020-04-25 at 05:35 AM.

25. - Top - End - #1135
    Ettin in the Playground

"I'm still feeling really weak, not sure how long it is going to take to recover from whatever those shadows did to me. I'll be slow but I can manage if someone can take my backpack. I'll also see what I can do to help with the lights." Lebwen puts the morningstar in the backpack, then casts a spell and a few lights start bouncing around, which he sends ahead of whichever way the group heads.

Show

cast dancing lights

backpack weights 42.5lbs. I'm going to have to be at heavy load, as medium is 33lbs and I'm at more than that with just my clothes, armor, and weapon.

26. - Top - End - #1136
    Titan in the Playground

Justin

Justin kneels by the block that the cunning halfling has noticed. "Well spotted. That's impressive, clearly Nuala has not seen this before and it mus be a secret passage concealed for many, many years." He looks at the others, and heads back to pick up the still glowing sunrod. "Shall we head in? Lebwen, do you want to leave your pack here and we can collect it on the way out. If the area below looks to be extensive we can rest and let you ecover first, but it may jst be a single vault or something like that?"

With the axe tucked into his belt and the shortsword and sunrod in hand he kicks the brick to open the door

27. - Top - End - #1137
    Troll in the Playground

Lizuga Manescu
    AC 20, Touch 11, FF 19, CMD 17|Fort +5 Ref +2 Will +7|HP: 31/31

Lizuga sheathes her sword and readies her familiar shield and hammer before going in.

Triage 4/4. Maneuvers readied: Oaken Shield, Piercing Strike, Armor-piercing Thrust, Curate's Strike. Phalanx Lancer Stance.
    Semper ludens.

28. - Top - End - #1138
    Ettin in the Playground

Iris

Iris steps back from the secret door and readies her bow to cover Justin & Lizuga. Light shines from her golden holy symbol. As they enter she casts detect magic scanning ahead. "Careful there. I don't think we can handle many more of those undead shadows."

29. - Top - End - #1139
    Ettin in the Playground

You open the secret door and enter the naturally dark, but well-illuminated now by variety of your methods, corridor beyond. The corridor splits in two and both ways seem to lead somewhere north and downstairs. Whatever path you choose*, it leads through a closed door, that is neither locked nor trapped, into a mostly flooded room, the western part of which has mostly collapsed into the water. What few walls do remain intact here bear detailed and impressive carvings of incredible treasuries filled to overflowing with coins, gems, jewelry, and other items of value. To the east, the walls depict a carving of a towering mountain, its peak carved in the shape of a stern face just above a great palace. Below, the side of the mountain’s valley cradles an immense city of spires.

In the pool, the remains of what must have once been an incredible treasury lie in the sloshing waters. Shattered urns, crumbled stone chests, rusted bits of once-beautiful armor and weapons, and other long-ruined treasures from an ancient past lie below. Most impressive of them all is a large, coral-encrusted helmet sized for a giant; the helm measures nearly 5 feet across, and its full-face guard bears an expression of twisted rage and fangs. The helm itself appears to be made of gold.

Spoiler
    Show
    *Please do choose.

30. - Top - End - #1140
    Titan in the Playground

I assume the western door leads to some kind of sunken treasury while the eastern door leads to a main room of sorts, maybe a ritual chamber, maybe a royal court. I do assume further that the Barghest is imprisoned in what I call the ritual chamber. But the other chamber might hold items which could aid us in dominating the demon. The runelords also dealt with them, and I assume they were no fools. On the other hand, the supposed treasury could be a ruse to trick greedy invaders.

Before deciding, Adalbert studies the wall murals for some hidden meaning. Maybe there are hints in hidden in Ancient Thassilonian. The

Spoiler
    Show
    Linguistics to find out more details in the walls: (1d20+9)[19]
    Also Knowledge Dungeoneering: taking 20 (1/day ability), casting Heightened Awareness for +2: 20+10 = 30 to extrapolate the dungeon layout.