New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default D&D Subclass Contest XV Voting Thread

Fifteenth contest done, with 10 complete entries this time!

Simple rules. Vote for your top three picks in order. You can't vote for yourself. A number 1 vote is worth 3 points, a number 2 vote is worth 2, and a number 3 vote is worth one.

Entry Creator 1st 2nd 3rd
    Fighter: The Calligrapher Lvl45DM! 0 0 0
    Barbarian: Runebound Thane MrStabby 0 0 2
    Artificer: Volumancer Damon_Tor 2 1 1
    Bard: College of Law sengmeng 0 1 0
    Wizard: Qualitherate BerzerkerUnit 1 1 1
    Monk: Way of the Shrine Guardian nickl_2000 3 1 1
    Barbarian: Path of the Bureaucrat RickAsWritten 0 1 1
    Warlock: The Forbidden Ones Phhase 0 1 0
    Bard: College of the Brush thisdude9001 0 0 1
    Fighter: The Constellar MoleMage 2 2 1

Classes unrepresented in Context XV: Cleric, Druid, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, Sorcerer

And for our themes, The Band carries over as last contest's runner up, alongside four randomly chosen themes. For the first time since this contest started, old themes are getting mixed into the pool again, so long as they are at least 9 contests old (approximately one year). Pick your top two in order, a number one vote is worth 2 and a number 2 vote is worth one point.

Theme Description 1st 2nd
    The Band Musical subclasses 2 1
    It Came From Beyond Subclasses which deal with the beyond 2 3
    Hold the Line Stationary subclasses 3 0
    Bigger is Better Subclasses with something bigger about them 0 1
    So You Don't Have To Support subclasses 1 2

This voting thread will stay open until the end of the day on June 7 June 14. The following day I will post with the tallied results and declare a winner, then post the next contest thread. Good luck everyone!
    Last edited by MoleMage; 2020-06-15 at 12:10 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: D&D Subclass Contest XV Voting Thread

1: Shrine guardian: Deadset on theme and fun and flavourful. 9/10 would play.

2: The Constellar: I like stars and this does a good job of working in their identities.

3: Qualitherate: Not exactly what i hoped for with the class, but still a great concept

A hearty and vigorous vote for From Beyond for the next one
    I Am A:Neutral Good Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

1. Volumancer - I love the scroll creation and this fills is some holes that needed filling in 5e.
    2. Martial Archetype: The Constellar - I'm always a sucker for a good martial subclass. This one gives lots of great options, which I really like
    3. Bardic College of the Brush - A really cool concept and something super unique.

1) It Came From Beyond
    2) The Band
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

1. Way of the Shrine Guardian: A well-worn trope that deserves representation, and it's done well here. The Omamori Charms are a great mechanic.
    2. The Forbidden Ones: Frenzy, as an "insanity" mechanic, is pretty good. A theme of weaponizing truth is exactly the right amount of terrifying.
    3. Runebound Thane: I have some balance quibbles, but I enjoy the pseudo oath-of-enmity that comes with the rage.

1. The Band
    2. Bigger is Better

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

1. nickl_2000's Monk: Way of the Shrine Guardian
    2. Damon_Tor's Artificer: Volumancer
    3. MoleMage's Fighter: The Constellar

Next Theme Vote:

1. The Band
    2. It Came From Beyond
    Spoiler: Homebrew Subclasses by RickAsWritten
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

*rubs hands together*

BerzerkerUnit's Qualitherate Wizard - "What ho, Qualith Wizard! Might you cast us a spell?" "Ho ho ho ho! Of course young adventurer." I CAST F̶̣͐Í̶̞̒͝Ŕ̸͕̄Ȩ̵̯̯̐̈B̶͍͖́Ạ̶̊̎̇Ļ̵̛̝̱͓̀͆̾L̶͖͚͒͌̓ ͚

Sengmeng's College of Law - I like the flavor, and designating someone as a familiar has some VERY interesting potential....

RickAsWritten's Path of the Bureaucrat - Angry bureaucrats tickle my funny bone. Also, the only possible way the 6th level feature could be any better is if it made the targets vulnerable to lightning damage or gave them save disadvantage, I love it.

1. Hold the Line: I have an interesting idea.
    2. It Came From Beyond: I'm all about this sort of thing.
    Sometimes, I have strong opinions on seemingly inconsequential matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis21 View Post
    Phhase he played four
    He played nick nack on my door
    With a nick nack paddy whack
    Give a dog a bone
    Phhase came rolling home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventruenox View Post
    You found a way to backstab... with a ballista...

I want to play at your table.
    Spoiler: How to have a Good Idea
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Buy a lava lamp, it more than doubles the rate of good ideas :p
    Better yet, buy this lava lamp.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm extending this thread another week because we only have half of our participants voted so far.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Thanks for the extension. I got super burned out and the protests/police brutality news has had me preoccupied. I’ll try to revisit all the entries again tonight.
    Edit:
    1. The Constellar- wow that’s a lot of options and gives me a real agent of fate, warrior for destiny type feel. I can immediately conjure up a grizzled vet that’s looking for “The Judge of the next age” etc.

2. Shrine Protector- love the aesthetic and mechanics. Ki scaling might be a little off for some spell effects but since it’s notoriously bad (4 elements) it’s probably fine.

3. By a narrow margin, the Runebound Thane- a little easier to see as playable.

Honorable mention: the Volumancer which I really liked aesthetically but seemed like you’d really need to sacrifice a lot of what sets Artificer apart from Wizard to make it more like a Wizard.

Next contest: Support or From Beyond.
    Last edited by BerzerkerUnit; 2020-06-08 at 04:16 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Subclasses
    1. The Constellar
    2. The Qualitherate Wizard
    3. Volumancer

Next Contest
    1. Hold the Line
    2. So you don't have to

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

1. Artificer: Volumancer. I feel like spell scrolls are underutilized in 5e (though maybe the problem is 3.5 overutilized them and I got used to it); this goes a long way towards making them appealing again.
    2. Path of the Bureaucrat. It definitely caught me off guard, but I think it's hilarious and it also works, feature wise.
    3. Shrine Guardian. I swear I hadn't read this yet when I was writing the Constellar, but I do feel a certain kinship with it.

1. Hold the Line. We just did stationery combat, and I feel the need to juxtapose it with stationary combat.
    2. So You Don't Have To. Wanting to put together a subclass collection for my homebrew setting, and I think a couple of my ideas would fit this theme.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

The ink has dried, and it's time to call this contest finished!

In 3rd place, with a total of 9 points earned, we have Damon_Tor's Volumancer! It's scrolls all the way down with this artificer subclass.

In 2nd place, with a total of 10 points earned, we have MoleMage's Constellar! Your star sign might not say a lot about your future but it does say something about how you fight.

And our winner, 1st place, with a total of 11 points earned, it's nickl_2000's Way of the Shrine Guardian! Paint Omamori charms then use them to cast spells, get passive boosts, and just generally be versatile at subduing evil spirits.

Our theme votes came out with a clear winner in It Came From Beyond, and a clear runner up in Hold the Line which stays in the voting pool for next time. Look for Contest XVI soon!

Spoiler
    Show