New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 51 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: Grrl Power V: Probably Not an Octopus

And I love his little comment on the whole dual citizenship thing...

Which comes down to: ready the team of superpowered lawyers!
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

2. - Top - End - #932
    Titan in the Playground

By the sounds of it, Max has had to issue that threat warning before.
    It sounded more like Max was extremely pissed at the whole situation to me.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

3. - Top - End - #933
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    It sounded more like Max was extremely pissed at the whole situation to me.
    Yeah, more of a "PLEASE dont further aggravate this entire situation." Especially since she DIDNT assault the agent in any way. She snuck up on him, took apart his gun, then gave him the pieces back. All in all a pretty restrained response.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

4. - Top - End - #934
    Titan in the Playground

Especially since she DIDNT assault the agent in any way. She snuck up on him, took apart his gun, then gave him the pieces back. All in all a pretty restrained response.
    If i snuck up behind you while you were having a conversation on your phone, cut the phone into 3 pieces, then gave you the bits back.
    Then im certain a lot of places would call it assult :P

In this case the offense was worse. Since its not a random civilian but a federal agent Vale is messing with.

5. - Top - End - #935
    Titan in the Playground

Depending on the context, sneaking up on someone, grabbing something out of their hand, and tearing it to pieces could easily be considered assault, bordering on battery.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

6. - Top - End - #936

Physical contact means it would be battery.

7. - Top - End - #937
    Titan in the Playground

Looking at the comic again, Max is using the word attack.
    Thats nicely without any legal definition as far as im aware. So i think its pretty accurate.
    I certainly think it can hardly be argued that Vale did threaten the agent. And/or escalate the situation further.

What im enjoying is the near sexual tension going on with vale and her earnest desire to fight maxima.
    This does seem more like a case of Vale yanking on Max's chain.

8. - Top - End - #938

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    If i snuck up behind you while you were having a conversation on your phone, cut the phone into 3 pieces, then gave you the bits back.
    Then im certain a lot of places would call it assult :P

In this case the offense was worse. Since its not a random civilian but a federal agent Vale is messing with.
    And if you were an armed man making vague threats against my boss, whom I am hired to keep safe, removing your ability to threaten us with a gun while not harming you in any way would be an incredibly restrained reaction from a bodyguard. And she didnt BREAK his gun, she took off part of it so it couldnt be used till he reassembled it. Then gave the piece back to him (Im assuming she just did one of those movie martial art tricks where they take apart a gun in one deft move, lethal weapon 4 as an example)

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

9. - Top - End - #939
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    And if you were an armed man making vague threats against my boss, whom I am hired to keep safe, removing your ability to threaten us with a gun while not harming you in any way would be an incredibly restrained reaction from a bodyguard. And she didnt BREAK his gun, she took off part of it so it couldnt be used till he reassembled it. Then gave the piece back to him (Im assuming she just did one of those movie martial art tricks where they take apart a gun in one deft move, lethal weapon 4 as an example)
    The gun didnt come out until after Vale snuck in and started threatening the guy. If he and/or Max really wanted to press the issue, that would almost certainly have been a crime on Vale's part.

Also, i really cant imagine how saying "dont try to arrest my boss or i will get violent with you." is anything other than an explicit threat against attempting to enforce the law. If this were a cop show rather than a superhero comic, Vale and Deus would be super in trouble at this point. As it is, he'll probably get away with it just because the plot isnt ready for an all out Max vs Vale fight yet.
    Last edited by Keltest; 2020-06-19 at 08:09 AM.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

10. - Top - End - #940

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    The gun didnt come out until after Vale snuck in and started threatening the guy. If he and/or Max really wanted to press the issue, that would almost certainly have been a crime on Vale's part.

Also, i really cant imagine how saying "dont try to arrest my boss or i will get violent with you." is anything other than an explicit threat against attempting to enforce the law. If this were a cop show rather than a superhero comic, Vale and Deus would be super in trouble at this point. As it is, he'll probably get away with it just because the plot isnt ready for an all out Max vs Vale fight yet.
    Considering I have yet to see an arrest warrant and deus has made several very pertinent arguments, threatening to take my client in anyways is also very much so not ok. Cia agents arent omnipotent gods authorized to do literally anything they want with no justification. You want to interview deus? Make an appointment. Dont try to flex nonexistent muscles then get angry when you get called out on it. if they had reason to bring him in, they would have a warrant. As things stand this is a hunt for information not an attempt to prosecute. As such deus is under no obligation to go anywhere with any of these agents. His status as whatever in gaylten has existed for literally months now, and he has spent much of that time in america, so if that was a crime, he would already be facing charges. The foreign nation of gaylten took in refugees into their borders. None of that is a crime that america has any say over whatsoever, so he cant be arrested for that. He has the paperwork for his alien companion that was floating around earlier so again, not arrested for that. So yeah, he is not being prosecuted for anything, he is not obliged to go with these agents when they show up out of nowhere and demand it.

11. - Top - End - #941
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Considering I have yet to see an arrest warrant and deus has made several very pertinent arguments, threatening to take my client in anyways is also very much so not ok. Cia agents arent omnipotent gods authorized to do literally anything they want with no justification. You want to interview deus? Make an appointment. Dont try to flex nonexistent muscles then get angry when you get called out on it. if they had reason to bring him in, they would have a warrant. As things stand this is a hunt for information not an attempt to prosecute. As such deus is under no obligation to go anywhere with any of these agents. His status as whatever in gaylten has existed for literally months now, and he has spent much of that time in america, so if that was a crime, he would already be facing charges. The foreign nation of gaylten took in refugees into their borders. None of that is a crime that america has any say over whatsoever, so he cant be arrested for that. He has the paperwork for his alien companion that was floating around earlier so again, not arrested for that. So yeah, he is not being prosecuted for anything, he is not obliged to go with these agents when they show up out of nowhere and demand it.
    As a general rule, assaulting anybody, especially a federal officer, is a crime. MAYBE they had no ability to compel him to meet with them before, but Vale, as Maxima called out there, has just assaulted somebody in plain view of a law enforcement officer (ie Max). She has, apparently, done this on Deus' payroll as part of her explicit job description. Like i said, in a more serious work, that would have been a huge misstep on Vale's part that almost certainly would have moved Deus from "totally safe" to "i need a bunker made of laywers to survive this".
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

12. - Top - End - #942
    Troll in the Playground

Yea the situation leading up to that was largely posturing, but the moment she attacked an officer a lot of that goes out the window and she just defaults to being flat in the wrong and leaves Deus legally vulnerable.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

13. - Top - End - #943
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Don't forget a destruction of government property charge.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

14. - Top - End - #944
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Don't forget a destruction of government property charge.
    That one is dubious because the gun was disassembled rather than destroyed (i think. Its a little hard to tell).

15. - Top - End - #945
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah. It can be a complete lack of gun experience.
    But in my eyes that gun wasnt neatly disassembled. It was sliced into 3.
    The bit Vale hands back certainly looks sliced.

It can be it was just posturing. We really dont know what Sunglasses had prepared before Vale escalated stuff.

16. - Top - End - #946
    Titan in the Playground

Look up what happens to bodyguards who assault federal agents for "threatening" their boss in real life.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

17. - Top - End - #947

That one is dubious because the gun was disassembled rather than destroyed (i think. Its a little hard to tell).
    The front barrel was sliced off. The weapon has been destroyed.

edit: Also, concerning
    I have yet to see an arrest warrant
    they don't need a warrant if they have probable cause, which Deus gave them on an international broadcast. Several of these people could've just walked up to him and cuffed him instead of talking. There's a reason smart business people make sure they run every pronouncement possible past their legal team and the default answer is always 'no comment'.
    Last edited by Rogar Demonblud; 2020-06-19 at 02:47 PM.

18. - Top - End - #948
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Max has been hanging out with Dabbler too much. Either that or she really has Vale's number.

19. - Top - End - #949
    Ogre in the Playground

Max has been hanging out with Dabbler too much. Either that or she really has Vale's number.
    Is Vale human even?

20. - Top - End - #950
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    Is Vale human even?
    Is Max human even? The definition of humanity may be somewhat stretched here.

21. - Top - End - #951
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Max is an altered human, but still very much a human being. Vale is physically very inhuman, but mentally she doesn't seem that different.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

22. - Top - End - #952
    Titan in the Playground

So.. back to peaceful gags for a little while.
    This one was decent enough. Interesting how quickly Jabberwocky has meshed in with the rest of the team.

23. - Top - End - #953

I think our favorite horny author just realized its been far too many comic updates since we got lingerie scenes. And decided to change it up by taking it out of the shower stalls and dressing rooms for a change.

24. - Top - End - #954
    Titan in the Playground

I cant see what this update has to do with the authors assumed state of horniness
    They are just playing strip poker.

25. - Top - End - #955

It gives him an excuse to draw attractive women in lingerie. For a comic with multiple female lead characters, Grrlpower is oddly deprotagonizing the women.

Also, Sydney is really bad at poker.

26. - Top - End - #956
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    It gives him an excuse to draw attractive women in lingerie. For a comic with multiple female lead characters, Grrlpower is oddly deprotagonizing the women.

Personally i would have found it funnier if Sydney was actually bluffing there, counting on everybody's preconceptions of her to get out of a bad hand.

Plus it would help show that she knows she's a goof and has a bit of a better handle on it than people give her credit for.

27. - Top - End - #957
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah i call bs on that.
    Firstly the only protagonists are we really have are female.
    Secondly i dont think lingerie makes anyone more or less of a protagonist.
    And third its not as if there wasnt naked guys present as well.

28. - Top - End - #958
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Then why does she keep on winning?

29. - Top - End - #959
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Then why does she keep on winning?
    Im given to understand this is actually a legitimate phenomenon in poker, and other similar games, where experienced players who have trained to look for specific cues and tells will genuinely be unable to beat novices who have not established the patterns that the skilled players look for.

Basically, nobody knows how to play with Sydney.

30. - Top - End - #960
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

A very conservative player can win by overbetting on good hands and folding on bad hands, it's just suboptimal because it relies on luck and takes ages.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.