New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Three New 5e Settings Confirmed

https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/du...ting-books-5e/

Within the next "year or two", we can expect the return of three classic 5E settings.

Spelljammer Confirmed?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Three New 5e Settings Confirmed

Very interesting to see which 3 it'll be.

Planescape and/or Spelljammer seems like a given. Would they do both though, or just the one? They occupy a somewhat similar style and thematic space.

Dark Sun still feels like a likely option, especially when/if we see more Psionics published.

Could we get a proper Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting? SCAG wasn't great, and it has been commented on in the past how its a possibility at least.

Or maybe Ravenloft?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Any of Planescape, Darksun, or Spelljammer sounds great - I confess I am most interested in Darksun, though it has been an age since I've read any sourcebooks for it.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Appleheart View Post
    Very interesting to see which 3 it'll be.

Planescape and/or Spelljammer seems like a given. Would they do both though, or just the one? They occupy a somewhat similar style and thematic space.

Dark Sun still feels like a likely option, especially when/if we see more Psionics published.

Could we get a proper Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting? SCAG wasn't great, and it has been commented on in the past how its a possibility at least.

Or maybe Ravenloft?
    I believe Ravenloft is all but confirmed now with the knowledge from the dungeons and diversity article mentioning Vistani would be in upcoming books.

Spell Jammer, Dark Sun and Ravenloft make the most sense with what bits of development and hints we've seen from WotC.

So I'm pretty excited for Greyhawk, Dragonlance and SCAG 2
    Last edited by ProsecutorGodot; 2020-09-21 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Typo, missing words

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm hoping for Spelljammer personally.

Transitive settings like Spelljammer and Planescape seem like the easiest to tie in relevance to other settings, so even if they only have the one setting book, it can be used as a jumping off point or a link between other existing or future settings. Add a portal in Sigil over here, a crystal sphere over there...

I do hope there's a chance for Darksun considering all the clamouring I hear for it. But with my barest surface level understanding of some of the more common themes in Darksun, and the current ... climate ... of the modern day, I think that one might be shelved for a bit longer

Dragonlance or Greyhawk?

If they go for another MtG setting, Innistrad seems like an easy place to pair in some Barrovia themed content considering the attention that has gotten recently.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot View Post
    I believe ravenloft is all but confirmed now with the knowledge from the dungeons and diversity article mentioning they would be in upcoming books.

Spell hammer, Dark Sun and Ravenloft make the most sense with what bits of development and hints we've seen from WotC.

Oh good call-out! I had forgotten about that already.

Yeah, Spelljammer/Planescape, Dark Sun, and Ravenloft then.

Fingers crossed! :D

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

All the previous planeshift MTG pdfs are being expanded into full setting books? Great!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

I'd love to see Spelljammer and Dragonlance.

Maybe Al-Qadim? I think there is still a lot of nostalgia there, we only recently had a live action Aladdin from Disney and Zakhara is conveniently also on Toril.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

I read somewhere a while ago that Mystara was being considered, but it may have been just a nostalgic rumor.

Dragonlance is extremely tied to the Chronicles storyline, it would be weird playing before clerics returned and from there to the end of the trilogy it was maybe one year if I recall correctly, may be slightly more. I played as DM the original campaign using the books' characters (there were 12 playable ones) with AD&D 2e and it wasn't very exciting, considering half the table knew the story inside out.

10. - Top - End - #10

GnomeWizardGuy

I think the newest "spooky" UA subclasses are prep for Ravenloft.

I will be curious to see how much psionic support they kept in Tasha's.
    Confirmed already: Mind Sliver and Mind Thrust (as Tasha's Mind Whip), psionic sorcerer.
    UAed and IMO likely: psionic fighter and rogue.
    UA without strong evidence either way (again, IMO): psionic feats, some common psionic mechanic, other psionic spells
    If they kept enough support, Dark Sun becomes a real possibility.

I don't have any good educated guess about the third.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Spelljammer stuff has been showing in a lot of adventures and books lately, so I'd say it's likely it goes in.

Psionics getting in the game with Tasha's Cauldron of Everything means Darksun is also likely

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Bad news: All three settings are different versions of the Forgotten Realms, all set during different time periods

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Appleheart View Post
    Oh good call-out! I had forgotten about that already.

Yeah, Spelljammer/Planescape, Dark Sun, and Ravenloft then.

Fingers crossed! :D
    Ravenloft isn't likely as one of the three I'd think. They've already done Ravenloft this edition, and it sounded more like they were talking about previously unvisited settings.

The panel in the article is on the Dungeons & Dragons youtube page, uploaded just now, and under the title "Inside the D&D Studio | Panel | D&D Celebration".

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    Bad news: All three settings are different versions of the Forgotten Realms, all set during different time periods
    I can see that being cool. Like forgotten realms but with modern technology.
    Last son of the Lu-Ching dynasty

thog is the champion, thog's friends! and thog keeps on fighting to the end!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

With the horror themed UA and all the focus on psionics for tashas, I would assume Ravenloft (even if curse of stradh already exists) and dark sun.

I would rather want Spelljammer, Dark Sun, and Dragonlance though. The first two for their odd out their flavor and the third for being closer to my classical view of fantasy and all the knights and stupid things in the setting would be great fun for the 5e. Who doesn't want to play a gully dwarf? And Lord Soth requires a proper adventure! And yeah, the old adventures seemed a bit railroady and played it to close to the novels.
    Last edited by Fnissalot; 2020-09-21 at 11:35 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

I would also like a completely new setting too.
    Last son of the Lu-Ching dynasty

thog is the champion, thog's friends! and thog keeps on fighting to the end!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wildstag View Post
    Ravenloft isn't likely as one of the three I'd think. They've already done Ravenloft this edition, and it sounded more like they were talking about previously unvisited settings.

The panel in the article is on the Dungeons & Dragons youtube page, uploaded just now, and under the title "Inside the D&D Studio | Panel | D&D Celebration".
    I disagree, we already know there will be new books (two of them) featuring Vistani. Curse of Strahd doesn't necessarily give enough information to call it a setting guide. My assumption is that we'll have a setting guide and another adventure set there, either an exploration into actually destroying Strahd for good or fighting the Dark Power in a plane of dread.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Miele View Post
    I read somewhere a while ago that Mystara was being considered, but it may have been just a nostalgic rumor.
    A guy named Glen Welch has been working on a Mystara guide, and hoping to be allowed to release it on DM's Guild or similar. That might be what you heard. I've looked at an early draft, it looks like an interpretation of what Mystara should be (not sure that something like Mystara even has a definitive version).

Dragonlance is extremely tied to the Chronicles storyline, it would be weird playing before clerics returned and from there to the end of the trilogy it was maybe one year if I recall correctly, may be slightly more. I played as DM the original campaign using the books' characters (there were 12 playable ones) with AD&D 2e and it wasn't very exciting, considering half the table knew the story inside out.
    I had the 1e campaign setting. It was fine as a base background world if you wanted to play after clerics returned, assuming you were willing to jettison any meta-plot of 'what-comes-next.' I just don't know anyone that has strong feelings about the setting anymore. I feel that its heyday was in the 80s, while most of the rest carried on better in the 90s (or even had a 3e/4e revival).

Honestly, though. Dark Sun and Spelljammer seem like they are best designed as places where the PCs can actually do stuff. Ravenloft was the most crippling in that regards (nothing you do matters, the lords and mists control all and stop your best efforts, etc. etc.) so I assume they are going to do major surgery to that one. Planescape might be more popular than Spelljammer, so it might take precedence. So my guess would be Dark Sun, Planescape, and Ravenloft.

19. - Top - End - #19

DruidGuy

Here's hoping for Spelljammer, then Darksun, then Dragonlance.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

My personal bets are as follows:

Ravenloft
    Sigil
    Spelljammer

They already alluded to a Ravenloft setting, though that could be an update to the Return to Castle Ravenloft adventure. But that’s my first pick.

Perkins loves Sigil. He’s said numerous times it was his favorite setting.

Spelljammer is high on people’s lists.

I know so many want Dark Sun. I know! But I think them releasing Psionics is enough to say, “You already know the setting, now you have the mechanics, you don’t need us to do more to run it”.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Within the next "year or two", we can expect the return of three classic 5E settings. Spelljammer Confirmed?
    I hope not, but I expect so given that Eberron got the nod.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot View Post
    I believe Ravenloft ...
    Likely. I would prefer Dark Sun.
    Dragonlance: let it stay in the dustbin of history. Fun for a few novels, but otherwise not a fan.

Greyhawk: I'd be cool with that, but given the violence already done to the original setting since the EGG's departure, I'd likely not be happy with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by RossN View Post
    I'd love to see Spelljammer and Dragonlance.
    Our tastes differ, and if I have to have one of those two, Spelljammer it is. Pirates of the Astral Plane!
    Maybe Al-Qadim?
    Really?
    Not sure why you put that into blue text, it looks like something WoTC/Hasbro would do.

And heck, why not flesh out Cormyr, Kara Tur, and Thay?
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-09-21 at 12:19 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by zinycor View Post
    I would also like a completely new setting too.
    I'd love for something that breaks out of the FR/legacy mold. Not just re-using a setting designed for another IP (either an earlier D&D edition or another game entirely). Something like what Eberron did for 3e--showing what a "built for 5e" setting would look like, without any of the legacy/outside cruft.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    I'd love for something that breaks out of the FR/legacy mold. Not just re-using a setting designed for another IP (either an earlier D&D edition or another game entirely). Something like what Eberron did for 3e--showing what a "built for 5e" setting would look like, without any of the legacy/outside cruft.
    Heh, I wish they'd do a contest. I have a setting that might just fit what they need.

Arcane Casters are limited to: Warlocks. (No hexblades, yes Genii, fix Undying)
    Divine Casters are limited to: Druids
    No Bards. (If you make a Rogue with Entertainer Background, and with Expertise in Performance and Persuasion, you've got a bard already ...)

There are no deities; there are elemental forces, Forces and Philosophies, the Positive and Negative material Planes, and there are the forces of Law and Chaos separated by the cosmic borderlands / no mans land of Neutrality.
    The two axis model is dispensed with.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-09-21 at 12:25 PM.
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Actually I legitimately think the 2e version of Netheril was a very cool setting.

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Really?
    Yes, why not?

I don't expect Al-Qadim to come back, even with the appearance of the Noble Genie Warlock Patron but it is a fun setting with a lot of adventure opportunity.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Heh, I wish they'd do a contest. I have a setting that might just fit what they need.

Arcane Casters are limited to: Warlocks. (No hexblades, yes Genii, fix Undying)
    Divine Casters are limited to: Druids
    No Bards. (If you make a Rogue with Entertainer Background, and with Expertise in Performance and Persuasion, you've got a bard already ...)

There are no deities; there are elemental forces, Forces and Philosophies, and there are the forces of Law, Chaos, and the cosmic borderlands Neutrality. The two axis model is dispensed with.
    I have one as well, but they'd never take it because it does total violence to the "standard multiverse" planar model. It's a 5e kitchen sink, but coherent (I hope). Basically a total lore reboot, but mechanically compliant with minimal changes.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RossN View Post
    Yes, why not?
    I get the feeling that they don't predict a market for that, at least under that name, just as "Oriental Adventures" is likely low on their list of "let's resurrect this" for a variety or reasons.
    I do agree with you in re the Genie Warlock being a nice addition. And if they do it, well color me surprised and it could be great fun, yeah.
    The first person who names their Bard, College of Whispers, Jafar needs to be drawn and quartered, however. I remember when every sorcerer in Diablo (on battle.net, OG Diablo) seemed to be named Raistlin{number}.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-09-21 at 12:31 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffon

1) Al-Qadim - already played a converted 5e campaign up to 5, love to see it taken further!
    2) Dark Sun - never played it and really curious
    3) Planescape - interesting setting with loads of options and epic scope

I could live with Greyhawk or Dragonlance as well.

Question: I played a spelljammer campaign once as a player. I known nothing of the lore, or how good it was executed. But it felt a bit - dunno, ill-fitting. Could people who know it explain a bit what's good about it?

28. - Top - End - #28

I remember that recently WotC announced a MtG set taking from the Forgotten Realms lore. Knowing this, would you think that, then, a new FR setting book is...

1. more probable to be released, as this will allow WotC to tie more closely its top-selling products;
    2. less probable, considering that there's already one flagship dealing with it;
    3. not influenced, publicationwise, by the MtG FR card set.

Pick your poison.
    Even if I know that it has become a messfest, I have fond memories of the FR, and would love to have something new to chew on.
    Last edited by Cicciograna; 2020-09-21 at 12:54 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Clearly, the three settings are going to be The Council of Wyrms, Ghostwalk, and Mahasapra.

Actually, in all seriousness, I'd love a 5e Ghostwalk. The original version was released in that weird transitional period between 3.0 and 3.5, so the mechanics were very rough.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

30. - Top - End - #30

RedWizardGuy

I'd assume we would see more psionics playtesting if Dark Sun were to come out. I suppose they could have just the one subclass of sorcerer as the "psion," and then disallow all the other sorcerer subclasses. And then have preserver/defiler wizard subclasses, and only have those. It's a little kludgey, but could work. Personally, I'd rather have a spell point variant sort of like the mystic, but I long ago learned to expect disappointment from them.

A revised and *significantly* more detailed Forgotten Realms setting, more along the lines of the Wildemont or Eberron books than SCAG, could be coming. It's not like they don't have a ton of material already printed from previous editions that can be pretty easily updated. This would also let them do things like introduce non-EVIL drow into the setting, as an actual force rather than refugees. "Oh, yeah, those Lloth-worshipping freaks? (Sigh) Ruining our name for generations. We try not to have anything to do with them. Jerks.". And they can synergize it with their publishing arm, too, get a nice push from that.