New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: xkcd

1. - Top - End - #751
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: xkcd

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    Exactly. We know from the dinosaur-impact meteor that a large impact causes a "bell ringing" effect at the other end of the planet which can trigger volcanoes.

So, you kill 90+% of the population from evacuation, and the rest suffer a massive volcano explosion.
    Thing is, the meteor that killed the dino's is estimated to be a couple of order of magnitudes heavier than all of humanity (7 billion times 70 kg gets you in the order of 10^11 kg), and hits a far smaller surface area then all of humanity jumping would. So all of humanity jumping likely wouldn't do all that much.

edit: and far more importantly, that impactor also hit the earth far harder than a jumping human would. A jumping human could maybe hit at 2 m/s or something like that? That meteor hit at about 20 km/s.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2020-08-17 at 02:51 PM.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

2. - Top - End - #752
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

"My cabbages!"
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Ettin in the Playground

"My cabbages!"
    Man, I missed that reference. Thanks for pointing it out!
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

4. - Top - End - #754

What reference is that?
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post
    What reference is that?
    This guy is the one you want:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

6. - Top - End - #756

Today's page feels like a reprise of a previous comic about hurricanes.

7. - Top - End - #757

BlackDragon

Star Types (https://xkcd.com/2360/) is completely missing things like the silent star, the radio star, the magnetic star, and the tempermental ones that explode regularly.

As well as objects in the sky that have nothing special, or give off massive radio waves, or magnetospheres, or the type-1a (do I have that right?) nova pairs.

What? I'm thinking Hollywood, radio, Broadway, old Vaudeville, etc.
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

8. - Top - End - #758
    Troll in the Playground

Star Types (https://xkcd.com/2360/) is completely missing things like the silent star, the radio star, the magnetic star, and the tempermental ones that explode regularly.

As well as objects in the sky that have nothing special, or give off massive radio waves, or magnetospheres, or the type-1a (do I have that right?) nova pairs.

What? I'm thinking Hollywood, radio, Broadway, old Vaudeville, etc.
    Some of those indeed should have made the list, but radio star? Video killed that quite a while ago.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

9. - Top - End - #759

BlackDragon

https://xkcd.com/2363/

I'm not the only one to commit thread necromancy resurrection.

10. - Top - End - #760

https://xkcd.com/2363/

I'm not the only one to commit thread necromancy resurrection.
    I am honestly impressed that the 13-year-old figured out how to do that. I am more surprised that a niche board on mopeds is still running after 20 years.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

11. - Top - End - #761

BlackDragon

The combination scan - shred function, if the scan is actually guaranteed to be good, is very useful.

Sadly, I can't think of a single scanner I've ever used that I trust that much.

Serious question: We have cameras that take multiple exposures, and combine them for a high resolution / high detail / high dynamic range. Why do we not have multipass scanners for better capture?

I mean, a scanner bed isn't moving, so it's more accurate than an HDR camera capture.

12. - Top - End - #762
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I wish I had this recording every time turn-based tactics games are discussed. So many people think an 80% chance is a guaranteed hit and two 80% misses in a row means the computer is cheating.

13. - Top - End - #763
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    I wish I had this recording every time turn-based tactics games are discussed. So many people think an 80% chance is a guaranteed hit and two 80% misses in a row means the computer is cheating.
    Two or three misses in a row?
    Nah, it happens.
    Even with a few more I'm gonna be annoyed and grumble a bit, but I'd call it a streak of bad luck.

If it keeps happening and/or the computer keeps nailing those 20% chances?
    I might get suspicious.

But yeah, how did the joke go?
    The teacher tells his class: „40% of you don't understand percentages.“
    A student replies: „But sir, there aren't that many students in this class.”
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

14. - Top - End - #764
    Troll in the Playground

Screen time report.

Reading articles and watching videos that just confirm the opponent of my candidate is a duck: 216d19h03m. Yes, "duck" is used to avoid the profanity filter.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2020-10-13 at 04:38 AM.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

15. - Top - End - #765

BlackDragon

Thinking back to Masks https://xkcd.com/2367/

The mouseover text (... hmm, how do you display those on mobile phones?) syas (... ok, how do you copy/paste it?) something aboutevil masks that bind to your skin and turn you evil.

Isn't that the black spiderman mask? Well, the mouseover claims 80%, and it's already listed higher than cloth and less than n95.

16. - Top - End - #766
    Ettin in the Playground

Thinking back to Masks https://xkcd.com/2367/

The mouseover text (... hmm, how do you display those on mobile phones?) syas (... ok, how do you copy/paste it?) something aboutevil masks that bind to your skin and turn you evil.

Isn't that the black spiderman mask? Well, the mouseover claims 80%, and it's already listed higher than cloth and less than n95.
    Spoiler: The R.L. Stine bit gives a hint
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

17. - Top - End - #767
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The dialect quiz threw me a bit because the answers to the first question were almost legitimate. "Hey You" does work for a group of people that are together, although I would typically add a "guys" on there. I still use "Y'all" for a group of people although that isn't correct terminology either. The correct usage is "Y'all" for a single person and "All Y'all" for a group.

18. - Top - End - #768
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    The dialect quiz threw me a bit because the answers to the first question were almost legitimate.
    That's pretty on-brand.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

19. - Top - End - #769

To the last question I say "Gezundheit" the first time, "Salud" the second, "Dinar" the third, "Amor" the fourth, "gato" the fifth, "mas gato" the sixth, and "seniora vieha con gatos" the seventh. Actually, I am liable to say "gesundheit" and then explain the rest if someone sneezes once in my presence.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

20. - Top - End - #770

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    Screen time report.

Reading articles and watching videos that just confirm the opponent of my candidate is a duck: 216d19h03m. Yes, "duck" is used to avoid the profanity filter.
    But The Duck is Lord!

21. - Top - End - #771

BlackDragon

That map (1688) is really interesting. Especially if you go two lines down from the start, to where there's a "what?" response, and then say "no" to the next one.

The rest of this really looks like a lot of research went into the construction.

22. - Top - End - #772
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh lordy why did I google worst ladder? Those are just... auuuuuugggggghhhhhhhh why
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

23. - Top - End - #773
    Troll in the Playground

I'm missing something in the new comic. If the probability of a randomly drawn scrabble tile beating a d6 roll is 14%, how are the odds of a random scrabble tile beating a random dice roll 71%? Randall has a whole bunch of d2's, so he has an 80% chance of rolling one of those? Does the wording random rather than randomly drawn mean that the odds of getting a Y are now the same as tgose of getting an E?
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2020-10-31 at 03:24 AM.

24. - Top - End - #774

MindFlayer

I haven't run those numbers, but explainxkcd.com says this is an error, and that the 71% is the probability that the die roll will beat the tile, with the remaining probability of 100% - (14% + 71%) being the probability of the die roll equaling the point value of the tile.

25. - Top - End - #775
    Barbarian in the Playground

Has anyone else ever seen Seth Meyers's "The kind of story we need right now" bit, because this:
    https://xkcd.com/2386
    It is so sweet, and I am so happy for them.
    I will now go off to smilecry.
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

26. - Top - End - #776

Came here to see if anyone else had posted about this, but also to laugh at the alt-text.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

27. - Top - End - #777

Yep, I'm also happy for them. There had been a page on this when it started long ago. It's good that it's going well.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

28. - Top - End - #778

BlackDragon

Forgive my ignorance, but is this the state of his actual wife?

29. - Top - End - #779
    Barbarian in the Playground

Forgive my ignorance, but is this the state of his actual wife?
    Yes. She was diagnosed in 2010, after which there was a string of somewhat morbid but heartfelt and well researched comics on cancer survival rates and the importance of trusting science (as well as a detailed blog post explaining why the comic had relatively suddenly turned to focus on cancer), which eventually turned into intermittent, very hopeful and happy comics about his wife's continued survival and success against the disease.

EDIT: Also, on a completely unrelated note but because I can't stop thinking about it because I am so excited, DeTess, I notice your avatar. Are you as excited about Rhythm of War as I am?
    Last edited by Personification; 2020-11-17 at 03:29 PM.
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

30. - Top - End - #780
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

So the alt text of https://xkcd.com/903/ says "Wikipedia trivia: if you take any article, click on the first link in the article text not in parentheses or italics, and then repeat, you will eventually end up at "Philosophy""

To be honest my first thought was "there's no way that works" but I got it in 19 clicks on the first try.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
    - Douglas Adams