New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Rater's Ridiculously Rambunctious Random Ranter #229

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    All that's gonna happen whether you get old or not. The only way to not see that happen is to die first.
    Sure, but it'll happen again and again and again. And I'm pretty sure I couldn't take that. It's already been clear that we have different views on the matter, so I think it's probably best to simply agree to disagree, and leave it be. Since we're not going to convince the other, nor will it likely be a productive discussion.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Do anyone ever beg other people to subscribe to their Youtube channel? I was just being curious because I don't beg other people to subscribe to my Youtube channel?
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Do anyone ever beg other people to subscribe to their Youtube channel? I was just being curious because I don't beg other people to subscribe to my Youtube channel?
    How are you defining begging? I hsven't set up.my Youtube channel yet, but throwing in a "like, comment, share and subscribe" is pretty standard.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    How are you defining begging? I hsven't set up.my Youtube channel yet, but throwing in a "like, comment, share and subscribe" is pretty standard.
    People who comment on other videos by saying please subscribed to my Youtube channel is self-promoting and begging.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

People who comment on other videos by saying please subscribed to my Youtube channel is self-promoting and begging.
    Well, if you've seen people do it, then I would say you can answer your own question.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #96
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    If be good with eternal youth until I die. Don't need immortality.
    Sounds like how it works in the novel "Brave New World"--from what I recall, in that people retain their youthful vitality until they hit their 60s, then they decline very rapidly and die.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

It's pretty normal to ask people to follow you, or subscribe when you post stuff online, not just with Youtube. You ask people to do the same thing on your YouTube page - you ask them to follow you (which is the definition of the word 'beg'), and have a subscribe button. Why are you annoyed?

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tarmor View Post
    It's pretty normal to ask people to follow you, or subscribe when you post stuff online, not just with Youtube. You ask people to do the same thing on your YouTube page - you ask them to follow you (which is the definition of the word 'beg') and have a subscribe button. Why are you annoyed?
    One, I don't force people to subscribe to my Youtube channel, it's up to the people who have interested if they like my channel. Two as I mentioned before people always self-promoted themselves saying I want to achieve my goal saying the number of subscribers in other videos comments section, it's annoying.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Sounds like how it works in the novel "Brave New World"--from what I recall, in that people retain their youthful vitality until they hit their 60s, then they decline very rapidly and die.
    Pretty much, your choices are either perfect health until you rapidly die at about sixty or imperfect health but the chance to live to your nineties or older. It's also not clear if dying at sixty is a social or economic thing, but that's not the focus of the story*.

There is a good argument that we should be focusing on extending healthspans over lifespans, and which you support basically comes down to your economic views and if you fear death or decrepitude more. Although honestly increasing healthspan is probably the more logical move. Replacing the past twenty or thirty years of life with ten with better health might actually be the right thing to do, but compared to the rest of the things the society in the book does to people is actually a relatively equal choice.

* Dying at sixty for economic reasons is the focus of Paradise Lost in Cyberspace, and I highly recommend listening to it.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

One, I don't force people to subscribe to my Youtube channel, it's up to the people who have interested if they like my channel. Two as I mentioned before people always self-promoted themselves saying I want to achieve my goal saying the number of subscribers in other videos comments section, it's annoying.
    I feel like you're making a mountain out of a molehill here.

If you can curate comments on your videos, just remove these when they pop up.

On other channels...honestly, just don't read the comments.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I feel like you're making a mountain out of a molehill here.

If you can curate comments on your videos, just remove these when they pop up.

On other channels...honestly, just don't read the comments.
    Trust me. I do remove these types of comments and as the second one, I continue to ignore and scroll it.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Trust me. I do remove these types of comments and as the second one, I continue to ignore and scroll it.
    But you aren't ignoring it. You're telling all of us about the problem, which not only doesn't solve it, but may even convince readers this is an effective way of spreading their name.

This may actively do the opposite of what you want.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2020-10-19 at 01:17 PM.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

But you aren't ignoring it. You're telling all of us about the problem, which not only doesn't solve it, but may even convince readers this is an effective way of spreading their name.

This may actively do the opposite of what you want.
    You got a point there.

14. - Top - End - #104

It is the time of all things spooky, so Imma bring up some trivia about spooky historical events.

Everyone, at least in North America, has heard of the Donner Party who got trapped in what is now known as Donner Pass during a very harsh winter while trying to head west and had to resort to cannibalism once they ran out of food(which allegedly didn't take long) and there have been occasional accusations that some members of the party didn't wait for starvation, freezing, or natural causes.

A few months ago I learned, and I was recently reminded, that one of the Washoe tribes in the area found them and tried to help them out by bringing them food. The first time, the Donner's shot at them. The second time, the representatives saw a corpse being prepared for eating, and between the two the tribe decided "screw that."

So in addition to the previous of "don't take untested shortcuts" and "pack extra supplies and ration them carefully on long trips," we can add "don't shoot at someone until you're sure they're trying to hurt you" to the lessons we can learn from the Donners.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Well, I finally block the two problematic trolls on my Youtube videos. I give these two idiots every opportunity to act like mature adults on my videos but they're incapable of doing so.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Rater, I was reading a silly fluff article today with an exchange that reminded me of you.

"This teacher saved the life of her student by donating a kidney to the little girl!"

"My teacher marked me as absent even though I was in the classroom."

17. - Top - End - #107

Rater, I was reading a silly fluff article today with an exchange that reminded me of you.

"This teacher saved the life of her student by donating a kidney to the little girl!"

For a second I thought that was going to go the way of the lady who donated a kidney to help her boss get one and got fired shortly afterwards.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

For a second I thought that was going to go the way of the lady who donated a kidney to help her boss get one and got fired shortly afterwards.
    Yeah, I try to keep things at least theoretically amusing. That just makes me want extremely unpleasant things to happen to that boss.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Yeah I didn't see the new thread the first time! Now I have Mock exams!!! AHHHH!
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Lizard View Post
    Yeah I didn't see the new thread the first time! Now I have Mock exams!!! AHHHH!
    Don't worry, we'll help you revise. The three standard types of mocking are:
    • Ability (e.g. "You fight like a dairy farmer")
    • Loved ones (e.g. "Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries")
    • Appearance (e.g. "You're as repulsive as a monkey in a negligee")

21. - Top - End - #111

I can do one better: One day, in elementary school, during work time, half the class was getting loud talking to each other. I was sitting quietly and doing my work.

The whole class gets punished(pro-tip, collective punishments are complete horsecrap. They don't unite the students in hatred of you, the bad students think it's funny that they brought the good ones down with them and the good ones resent you.)

I was naturally upset about being punished for the actions of other people: Especially since this was over halfway through the year and nobody had ever been punished for talking during class work time before.

I voice my complaint about being punished for something I didn't do, and the teacher looks me right in the eye and, with a completly straight face, tells me that I was too talking. Despite my seat having been right in the teacher's line of sight.

The bitch didn't apologize for overreacting. Didn't apologize for punishing me for something that I didn't do... she tried to gaslight me into thinking I'd been misbehaving when I hadn't.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I can do one better: One day, in elementary school, during work time, half the class was getting loud talking to each other. I was sitting quietly and doing my work.

The whole class gets punished(pro-tip, collective punishments are complete horsecrap. They don't unite the students in hatred of you, the bad students think it's funny that they brought the good ones down with them and the good ones resent you.)

I was naturally upset about being punished for the actions of other people: Especially since this was over halfway through the year and nobody had ever been punished for talking during class work time before.

I voice my complaint about being punished for something I didn't do, and the teacher looks me right in the eye and, with a completly straight face, tells me that I was too talking. Despite my seat having been right in the teacher's line of sight.

The bitch didn't apologize for overreacting. Didn't apologize for punishing me for something that I didn't do... she tried to gaslight me into thinking I'd been misbehaving when I hadn't.
    That's not right what she did to you. I'm so sorry that you've to experience the unfair treatment that your teacher give to you.

23. - Top - End - #113

Eh... Unless something unfortunate happens I'll outlive all the teachers and other authority figures who via ignorance or malice inflicted on myself and others harm instead of doing their god damn jobs and with any luck by the time I die I'll have done something more meaningful with my life than they did with theirs.

As I get older, my outlook on life becomes more and more nihilistic/existentialist. Stuff that used to seem important isn't, right and wrong get less and less objective, and more and more I figure that instead of worrying about things I can't control that I should take control of what I can, focus on what makes me happy, and try to find productive or meaningful uses of my time whenever I can.

I'm not there yet, I still suffer a lot of anxiety over things that I know I shouldn't worry about... But I'm getting there, inch by inch...

Of course, I'd burn it all down in a heartbeat for ten-minutes with the complete Infinity Gauntlet because I have some grivences with ho the universe runs, but that's never gonna happen... And honestly, who doesn't have grievances like that?

(Reminder: If it turns out superpowers are real, you don't want me to get them. I have done an inventory of my psychological state and I will go mad with power more or less instantly.)

My ultimate goal in life, is that when I die(and barring a miraculous scientific breakthrough, it will happen,) that I can arrange to play Dixie Wailin' at the service and it won't feel out of place.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

24. - Top - End - #114

If you're capable of realizing you'd go mad with power, you won't. That sorta thing sneaks up on people.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    If you're capable of realizing you'd go mad with power, you won't. That sorta thing sneaks up on people.
    If course, acording to this, if you manage to convince rater than they won't, then they might.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

26. - Top - End - #116

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Inadvertently going mad with power sneaks up on people.

If someone tells you who they are, believe them.

OK, I kind of take issue with this. This is a remarkably Rater-centric view. The teacher very likely could not get an exact and accurate accounting for every single student who was acting out and who was quiet and behaving. Is punishing the entire class the ethically right thing to do? No. But it's a ridiculously minor issue; we're not exactly talking about war crimes here. The kids acting up had to know that was unacceptable behavior. If you said "but "I wasn't doing it", then someone else could do, who she would be unsure of (and this is assuming she knew you weren't, which, despite your protests, is not a given). She could not possibly rule accurately, and on top of it, the vast majority would likely claim innocence and the ordeal would stretch out unnecessarily long. And this all completely ignores the possibility that your teacher may not have known whether you were talking or not and wanted to shut the argument down regardless. Teachers aren't perfect, and I have a rather large issue with how certain teaching is done and how certain teachers act across the spectrum of schools and academia, but teachers are also typically underpaid and overworked. Some form of classroom discipline and decorum has to take place, they have to be able to exert authority over the class to be effective. Honestly thinking the teacher was gaslighting you seems like a grossly inordinate characterization when she was most likely just not caring about guilt or innocence that she probably had no way of verifying and it was significantly more efficient and effective to just shut it down for one kid in order to control the class as a whole, which is her job. The world isn't black and white. This isn't killing one person to save a hundred. This is you getting recess* taken away for the teacher to be able to do her job.

*You didn't say what the punishment was, so this is more metaphorical than anything.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-10-21 at 10:46 AM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

My ultimate goal in life, is that when I die(and barring a miraculous scientific breakthrough, it will happen,) that I can arrange to play Dixie Wailin' at the service and it won't feel out of place.
    Ever since I heard that My Way is the most common funeral song over here I've been planning on specifying that the Christopher Lee version be played at mine.

Followed by Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead. I think it's the most appropriate.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

New phone, New autocorrect. Expectations tout sera Manu more randomisés French words un mystère poste as well as misspellings of people's usernames for a while.
    Forum Wisdom

29. - Top - End - #119

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    New phone, New autocorrect. Expectations tout sera Manu more randomisés French words un mystère poste as well as misspellings of people's usernames for a while.
    Oooh, what kind? I've had my eye on the S20 Ultra for a bit now.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Oooh, what kind? I've had my eye on the S20 Ultra for a bit now.
    Oppo Reno 2Z. 249 euros for twice the battery and memory capacity of my old iphone 7, my muscle memory is still playing tricks on me but I make progress.

Did not expect so much Google in my phone though.
    Forum Wisdom