New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

Quote Originally Posted by arimareiji View Post
    Well, I guess if we're going for the jackpot on silly then obviously the Giant was talking about Roy who has only "appeared" once (as a result of being resurrected). If the definitions "was physically present", "reflected photons in the visible light spectrum", "was presented to the public", and "seems likely" are all equally credible, then I guess "popped into existence" is fair game as well. (^_^)b
    And as for the elf–
    ungelic is us

2. - Top - End - #812
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

All right then. I have a few guesses for this regarding who can be the supposed major ally based on singular page appearance and unexpectedness. They're going into the spoiler tags.

Spoiler: Most Likely
    Show
    - Juta. She's a female Barbarian who appeared in only 1 page. Specficially, in Start of Darkness as one of the adventuring companions of Eugene. When we saw the flashback of Eugene regarding the oath, she was the one absent from the page. We partially saw Myrtok and he was mentioned by Eugene while we also saw Keeno there as the elf. So seeing her once fulfils the requirement stipulated.

Why Her?: Well, it would make sense for one of Eugene's old buddies to help and fulfill the oath that Eugene gave, especially if things are getting bad. Additionally, I suspect she would be there to give some perspective for Roy and likely help his character development. After all, Myrtok we know was close to the Greenhilts and we don't know anything of Keeno the Elf Rogue. Given what Eugene thought of just fighters and so on, I would expect a fallout or something happening between him and Juta. I expect she would help Roy's character development regarding his issues with Eugene and on being considered "dumb muscle". Roy's beef with Thog, while largely based on differing morality and Thog's crimes, also consists of Roy projecting his issues on how fighters and the like are viewed, as seen in their final fight in colosseum. Juta could help provide a contrasting point and provide commentary on the matter in the way Rich does well. Roy would become more comfortable with who he is and help bring about a good sense of closure.

Spoiler: Semi-Likely And Unexpected
    Show
    - The King of Nowhere. He only appeared in one page technically, in a flashback of Thanh's.

Why Him?: We know that Thanh visited him as we saw in a panel, so he is aware of the issues with Azure city. Additionally, he would see himself perhaps being in Roy's debt because of how he accidentally prevented him from being assassinated. It would also be like Rich to take a "joke" character and suddenly make them more prominent once more. Additionally, fleshing out the information of Nowhere and Somewhere (which we know are in the Northern continent) could be pretty interesting, especially if it could be where Serini comes from. While he himself may not help much, it could be in the same sense like Lord Shojo and have reinforcements to assist them.

Spoiler: Silly, Pretty Unexpected
    Show
    - Giggles The Clown, God of Slapstick. He only appeared once.

Why Him?: Well, given how it's all hands at deck as the gods scramble and panic, we could see them trying to make a move. While I don't see that much with Banjo given how he has one Elan, Giggles might grow stronger from having one island of orcs along with potential others of the Azurites made trade agreements with them. Additionally, it would be the sort of humor for Giggles to rise in prominence as the others recall Odin's near moment with Banjo and it snowballs from there. I mean, Banjo has been downplayed for a long while possibly to discourage from considering him or Giggles in potential prominence. Plus, given his coloration of orange, maybe their belief grants him an orange quiddity.
    Last edited by CountDVB; 2021-02-21 at 05:14 PM.

3. - Top - End - #813
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CountDVB View Post
    Spoiler: Most Likely
    Show
    - Juta. She's a female Barbarian who appeared in only 1 page. Specficially, in Start of Darkness as one of the adventuring companions of Eugene. When we saw the flashback of Eugene regarding the oath, she was the one absent from the page. We partially saw Myrtok and he was mentioned by Eugene while we also saw Keeno there as the elf. So seeing her once fulfils the requirement stipulated.

Why Her?: Well, it would make sense for one of Eugene's old buddies to help and fulfill the oath that Eugene gave, especially if things are getting bad. Additionally, I suspect she would be there to give some perspective for Roy and likely help his character development. After all, Myrtok we know was close to the Greenhilts and we don't know anything of Keeno the Elf Rogue. Given what Eugene thought of just fighters and so on, I would expect a fallout or something happening between him and Juta. I expect she would help Roy's character development regarding his issues with Eugene and on being considered "dumb muscle". Roy's beef with Thog, while largely based on differing morality and Thog's crimes, also consists of Roy projecting his issues on how fighters and the like are viewed, as seen in their final fight in colosseum. Juta could help provide a contrasting point and provide commentary on the matter in the way Rich does well. Roy would become more comfortable with who he is and help bring about a good sense of closure.
    I like this. I had her in my second most likely group, but your explanation makes sense. Of course it not clear what an aging adventurer would think she would do against an epic sorcerer lich, even if she did manage to track him to the north pole (and she certainly doesn't seem likely to have any reason to be there on her own).

As for your other selections, we know from the map in Utterly Dwarfed that the Halfling Lands are on the other side of the continent from Nowhere, though of course there's no reason Sereni had to have been from the Halfling Lands, and she's certainly traveled regardless. I don't think we'll see his highness here though.

And on the final one, I believe this reasoning is still valid: https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1027.html

4. - Top - End - #814
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by facw View Post
    And on the final one, I believe this reasoning is still valid: https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1027.html
    "Third: He's a puppet." XD

But wouldn't it make an awesome "Don't judge a book by its cover" moment, if one of Giggles' priests were actually a prodigy who's been leveling like mad? And were somehow enough of a genius to have independently deduced the shenanigans with Xykon and the Snarl, and built a spaceship to fly him up to the North Pole.

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, assessing relative probability can be fun. (^_~)

5. - Top - End - #815
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

I like this. I had her in my second most likely group, but your explanation makes sense. Of course it not clear what an aging adventurer would think she would do against an epic sorcerer lich, even if she did manage to track him to the north pole (and she certainly doesn't seem likely to have any reason to be there on her own).

As for your other selections, we know from the map in Utterly Dwarfed that the Halfling Lands are on the other side of the continent from Nowhere, though of course there's no reason Sereni had to have been from the Halfling Lands, and she's certainly traveled regardless. I don't think we'll see his highness here though.

Well, we don't know where she lived or where she came from, hence the opportunity. Just that she was a Barbarian and likely of the Northern continent. It could be that she either took a level in a caster class or perhaps her age halted because she was resurrected years later. There's differing ways of extending life or remaining prominent in old age. Even then, a strong support role helps.

Didn't know that, but it's still possible to play a role. I mean, would definitely be unexpected yet we did have some pretty good set-up with that diplomatic mission.

As for the last one, well, one of the biggest epics had just a ring be the big thing after all XD. If enough believe, then it may happen.

6. - Top - End - #816
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    I do think Serini is not someone who could be considered an "unexpected ally," given that the only reason we know who she is at all is that she was part of an adventuring team decades ago that was attempting essentially the same mission as the Order is here.
    I don't have a strong stance on whether she qualifies as appearing on only one page. I will say, however, that the Giant didn't say the person would be an unexpected ally, just that the person who'd hardly appeared becoming an ally would be an unexpected event, which is a subtle but important difference. So we might be able to disqualify Serini based on her appearances but we can't based on whether or not her being on the Order's side is expected once she appears.

We'll have to see what happens in the next few strips--it's not yet at all clear that she's going to be an ally at all...

7. - Top - End - #817
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arimareiji View Post
    1189, which shows the mysterious green-voiced assailant, was the last comic in book 6.
    We're talking about the book 6 commentary.
    Most people seem to now agree that Serini was the mysterious green-voiced assailant in 1189, not that that necessarily makes it certain.
    That doesn't work. The comment in question was made the page before strip #1178 and the green voice did not shop up until 1189, so that cannot count as an appearance "in the story so far"

8. - Top - End - #818

It occurs to me that if I had put as much dedication into making things work no matter what as some people do into their cherished beliefs, I would probably still be married. (^_^)°
    (In my case probably not a good thing, but that's entirely another matter. Here, it's a good thing that people can be that attached to the story they believe in.)

9. - Top - End - #819
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    That doesn't work. The comment in question was made the page before strip #1178 and the green voice did not shop up until 1189, so that cannot count as an appearance "in the story so far"
    Of course 1189 had already been published online when the book was released, so I would assume it counts. The webcomics are obviously part of the story so far, and even in the print books the Giant encourages people to read the comics before the commentary if they haven't already. Regardless, "green voice" appears on two pages so it can't count (especially now that we know, or at least have reason to suspect, that it Serini, who has several other appearances). "Orange voice " appears only on one page, but I'm not sure being invisible is really appearing, and in any event, it would be pretty lame, and not very surprising for the answer to that hint to be "some new character who appears on the last page", so I'm expecting someone from earlier in the story.

10. - Top - End - #820
    Pixie in the Playground

Post Re: Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

I myself am betting that Serini is the major character.
    She's only appeared once before now(in 1189) and the Giant said the character was going to appear in the first half of the book.
    get dunked on lol

Epic avatar by linkele

Currently DMing: Curse of (super sexy) Strahd

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you are reading this, then you have some serious dedication.

11. - Top - End - #821
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by georger0171 View Post
    She's only appeared once before now(in 1189)
    She has appeared serverap other times, as early as 196.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

12. - Top - End - #822
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by georger0171 View Post
    She's only appeared once before now(in 1189) and the Giant said the character was going to appear in the first half of the book.
    Yeah, sure. What's more, she's also the IFCC's vessel, Redcloak's niece and possessed by a survivor from the Eastern Pantheon.
    Back on topic: even if you discount the crayon/drawn appearences (which I don't think you should), there's the thing that
    Quote Originally Posted by Yanisa View Post
    the original statement talks about pages, not comics, not strips but indeed pages. The Green Voice appears on multiple pages.

13. - Top - End - #823
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Tony the Celestial or the King of Nowhere would be fun, but I don't see how either one would happen or why.

There's so little to go on that I have trouble hooking on to anything that would make sense for one option or another.
    Durkon or Minrah casts summon planar ally, Tony answers the call, sticks around longer than the casting time because he's invested in the gates?

14. - Top - End - #824
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Yeah, sure. What's more, she's also the IFCC's vessel, Redcloak's niece and possessed by a survivor from the Eastern Pantheon.
    Back on topic: even if you discount the crayon/drawn appearences (which I don't think you should), there's the thing that
    While I agree she can't be the "major character" due to having appeared on more than one page, I'm actually leaning toward her being *half-Redcloak's neice*
    You found the secret message! Don't forget to edit the wiki!

15. - Top - End - #825
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    Of course 1189 had already been published online when the book was released, so I would assume it counts. The webcomics are obviously part of the story so far, and even in the print books the Giant encourages people to read the comics before the commentary if they haven't already. Regardless, "green voice" appears on two pages so it can't count (especially now that we know, or at least have reason to suspect, that it Serini, who has several other appearances). "Orange voice " appears only on one page, but I'm not sure being invisible is really appearing, and in any event, it would be pretty lame, and not very surprising for the answer to that hint to be "some new character who appears on the last page", so I'm expecting someone from earlier in the story.
    1189 was published in the book where Rich makes the comment, so I think it's safe to say it's included in his tally.

Quote Originally Posted by Patterned_Pike View Post
    Durkon or Minrah casts summon planar ally, Tony answers the call, sticks around longer than the casting time because he's invested in the gates?
    I think it would be even funnier if he decides to stick around just because he doesn't want Eugene hanging out on the cloud anymore after the crap he's already pulled.

16. - Top - End - #826
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

this trying to convince people of certain characters who have appeared more that once, especially some obscure random character that has appeared only recently, strikes me as some strange hill to make a last stand and die upon.
    It's "locksmith of LOVE!" not "LO!"

17. - Top - End - #827

I also like Juta.

It could also bring a new perspective, and depth, to Eugene. So far, we've only had pretty negative depictions of him, the input of all the people who didn't really relate well with him.

I wasn't really expecting more of Eugene, but given how the oath of revenge is pretty central to the plot, throwing in new twists regarding it would... fit pretty well, actually.

So "one of Eugene's former buddies" rings pretty well with me.
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

18. - Top - End - #828
    Ogre in the Playground

Has anyone guessed the Half-dragon Troll that killed Durkon's father?

I deem it unlikely, but Serini has troll allies and the dwarves don't live far from here.

He could also be the orange voice that helped Serini, but then I would have to disqualify it by my own rules.
    Last edited by Yanisa; 2021-02-25 at 09:40 AM.
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    Old PF Initiative Build

19. - Top - End - #829
    Titan in the Playground

I deem it unlikely, but Serini has troll allies and the dwarves don't live far from here.
    The dwarves do live far from there. Two days of travel by airship and the bugbears are there precisely because the dwarves won't come near the place (panel 8).
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

20. - Top - End - #830
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    The dwarves do live far from there. Two days of travel by airship and the bugbears are there precisely because the dwarves won't come near the place (panel 8).
    The fact dwarves don't come near here might even be a point in my favor. This Half-dragon troll had a huge fight with the dwarves, must have spend some time regeneration and then clawing his way out of the rock tomb he found him self in. Then he fled away from the dwarves, and somewhere along that he got picked up by Serini.

Distance doesn't really matter, or else we could exclude a lot more characters. I just meant it's relativize close enough to give it some narrative sense, like I did above.

The main reason this is most likely isn't because it sort of ruins the story of Durkon's mother and father. Especially after an entire book focused on Durkon growth as a character and his family bonds. Most importantly, it would bring into question the whole "I ne'er let go" moment. If the troll escaped, is that really true?
    Last edited by Yanisa; 2021-02-25 at 01:56 PM.
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    Old PF Initiative Build

21. - Top - End - #831
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin_Priest View Post
    I also like Juta.

It could also bring a new perspective, and depth, to Eugene. So far, we've only had pretty negative depictions of him, the input of all the people who didn't really relate well with him.

I wasn't really expecting more of Eugene, but given how the oath of revenge is pretty central to the plot, throwing in new twists regarding it would... fit pretty well, actually.

So "one of Eugene's former buddies" rings pretty well with me.
    Also, would make sense given how alot of the books do have character focuses on them. Usually one character and followed with another. Durkon was a main focus with a lesser extent of Belkar for Utterly Dwarved. Blood Runs in the Family is one for Elan and to a lesser extent Haley. As such, I imagine this final arc would be a focus on Belkar and Roy, especially with the former's implied demise and well, Roy being leader.

As for Eugene's party, we don't know much except Myrtok the Cleric became an honorary uncle while Keeno was the tracker. The former doesn't appear to be alive and we don't know what happened with Myrtok. I said Juta because she only appeared once before in Start of Darknesswhile Keeno and Myrtok appeared both there and in the flashback with Eugene.

I do admit the issue with Juta is that if she is human, she would be quite old and given how Eugene and possibly Myrtok are dead, she likely would be if she was a human unless there was circumstances. She could be half elf though. While we do see Keeno's pointy ears, this could be explained by Rich doing the "half-elf = one pointy ear" joke and that it's on her right side, being covered up by her axe.

Granted, I know little of D&D 3.5's race/class penalities or one the numerous races, so she could be a different race if she is the mystery character spoken of. Maybe she's a maenad? That is in the SRD of 3.5 I think and would fit the barbarian route along with her looking human.

An interesting thing of note is that she only appeared in one panel and wasn't seen interacting with Eugene or the others, so it raises the possibility she wasn't in contact due to Eugene's... opinions. So culd be quite fascinating to see here on her

22. - Top - End - #832
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

The comic where the red voice is "shown" is called wait and see. For a moment I thought it was "weight and see". a call back to the fat dragon tarquin was working with.

was there a skinnier dragon shown in a flash back? for 1 panel? I swear it'd be funny as heck if the dragon had a brother working for serini and the reveal chapter was called weight and see.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0725.html

maybe this is a different dragon, though I always assumed it was the lady dragon before she got fat.
    Last edited by WolvesbaneIII; 2021-02-25 at 10:41 PM.
    Vae Victus!

23. - Top - End - #833
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by locksmith of lo View Post
    this trying to convince people of certain characters who have appeared more that once, especially some obscure random character that has appeared only recently, strikes me as some strange hill to make a last stand and die upon.
    Which obscure random character? Like, I though Serini until that point, because she was neither obscure nor random, so I assume you don't mean her.

Also,on an unrelated note, a hundred gold on "not a dragon". Not discounting half dragons or anything, but defo not a full dragon.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

24. - Top - End - #834
    Titan in the Playground

Distance doesn't really matter, or else we could exclude a lot more characters.
    We should. A character that doesn't have a reason to be at the North Pole is unlikely to be an ally for the first half of the book, so any proposal of a character that isn't already there that doesn't explain how and why they would get there has a severe flaw.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

25. - Top - End - #835

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    We should. A character that doesn't have a reason to be at the North Pole is unlikely to be an ally for the first half of the book, so any proposal of a character that isn't already there that doesn't explain how and why they would get there has a severe flaw.
    Before Hilgya reappeared, one of the main arguments people used to show that she was definitely not going to reappear was that she had no reason to be in Dwarven Lands.

26. - Top - End - #836
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Norbert View Post
    Before Hilgya reappeared, one of the main arguments people used to show that she was definitely not going to reappear was that she had no reason to be in Dwarven Lands.
    I didn't actually think she was coming back, but I would certainly say that a Dwarf, who lived in the Dwarven Lands, could be expected to be there (though she did burn some bridges, or at least try to, when she left).

Certainly if any of our one appearance characters are from the north pole, I would expect their chances to greatly increase. But regardless a character who has some plausible reason to be at the pole seems more likely than one who has none.

27. - Top - End - #837
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

But regardless a character who has some plausible reason to be at the pole seems more likely than one who has none.
    How the halibut do we tell who has a plausible reason to be at the north pole? The main valid reason has to be "they're in this bit", and then The giant wrote a reason.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

28. - Top - End - #838

I would bet real actual money that it is Serini and Rich is not counting or forgot about some appearances.

And the fact that people are here saying "Oh no but you can't NOT COUNT X appearance" as if it was life or death, is in my mind indication that I am right, since Rich has many times said that his readers are way more caught up in such minutiae than he is.
    Nothing to see here, move along.

29. - Top - End - #839
    Ogre in the Playground

Certainly if any of our one appearance characters are from the north pole, I would expect their chances to greatly increase. But regardless a character who has some plausible reason to be at the pole seems more likely than one who has none.
    Who says the book will take place entirely or mostly at the Pole? Books 2-6 have seen the Order travel to multiple locations. I expect the same in book 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Xapi View Post
    I would bet real actual money that it is Serini and Rich is not counting or forgot about some appearances.
    And I would take that bet.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

30. - Top - End - #840
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xapi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    And I would take that bet.
    I would too.