New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Most underrated video games of all time (ever)

The title explains it. please say a game, it's system, and why it was so good.

for me, it is, without a doubt, "Cell Damage," for the Gamecube and the XBox. This game has it all. Huge explosions, hilarious one liners ("Me show you how lawnmower works--hold still!"), cartoony antict, and missles being shot out of a car. This beutifully animated car combat features cell shading. You know, the type of animation done in the Zelda game Wind waker. This game kept me and my friends entertained for countless hours on end, and the only reason we stopped playing is "Mario Kart: Double Dash" Anybody who likes any sort of multiplayer videogames should have an obligation to at least rent this. AND YET, the critics thought it was abysmally average!!!!!!!!!! horrendous. Who else played this?

Anyway, please respond.
    How strange it is to be anything at all...
    --In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, Neutral Milk Hotel

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live...
    --Albus Dumbledore

Be who you are and say what you think, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.
    --Dr. Seuss

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Most underrated video games of all time (ever)

Baldur's Gate 2 (PC) was underrated. I don't care how high you rated it, it was still too low.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Shadow Hearts

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cell damage was the best! Dynamite crossbow, lawnmower, everything Gotta love the crazy
    Save vs GM powered thunderbolt!

Kattira, Anja Khemari and Elderguard Tyrius. Thanks to The Stoney One for Avvies!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Phantom Crash for the XBox...Without a doubt one of the best games I've ever played, but it was so underrated...Literally no one even know's what it is...Let alone how damn awesome it is...

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Bor the Barbarian Monk View Post
    Dis...As far as I can tell, you are a cool frood who knows where his towel is.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Run, little Aussie artist man. Your doom will be swift and silent -
    - like the owl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    *Hands Dizzy his SwoongunTM*
    Which is a hairdrier full of ether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulion View Post
    ...Dispozition...you rock so hard I feel like throwing you my underwear in appreciation just so you can know how much that rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emlyn View Post
    Dis, I love you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    Your quotes rawk.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nethack. It's been around for 20 years now, and it's still a great game. It will run on practically any computer hardware, it's free software, it's got everything: challenge(maybe more than is needed), Liches, Leprechauns, a D&D basis and the extremely important OotS reference.

More seriously this game is so underrated because people these days care more about flashy graphics than challenging and thoughtful game play, and it has no corporation to make press releases. I'd say that it is as good as Baldurs Gate 2, not as good graphics, not as varied locales, smaller party, but so much more you can do (genociding Leprechauns comes to mind).

Also, it's had 20 years to be underrated. That helps if we are looking over 'all time'.
    GitP Forum User#21642 and Honorary Defender of the ASCII

This post was entirely written in binary. You are lucky that this site automatically translates it for you (usually).

Elan's Lawful Conscience advises that you "•Ek"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Earthbound is the most underrated game I have played. It's timing was bad, as it fell right in at the time when an RPG was supposed to have swords and magic, rather than baseball bats and PSI. Still the humour is fantastic.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Arc the Lad: Twilight of Spirits for PS2. It was awesome. I loved the simplicity, yet complexity of the new combat system, coupled with a storyline that, imo, is on par with Final Fantasy VI. Absolutely great game.
    Druid-Ninjatar by the sensuous Serpentine.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Vampire Bloodlines. Best RPG in the past few years.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Majesty. This game captured the spirit of an adventurer's world without being an RPG which is an accomplishment in and of itself. But its also a really fun game.
    Last edited by jjpickar; 2007-04-30 at 09:32 AM.
    Ask a Ninja Ninja: "Soylent Green is Kermit"
    Risus for Solars:http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...0#post11188890

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jjpickar View Post
    Majesty. This game captured the spirit of an adventurer's world without being an RPG which is an accomplishment in and of itself. But its also a really fun game.
    Cool. I got this for free recently. I'll make sure to check it out when I have more time.

For me, it's the Legacy of Kain Series. Specifically Soul Reaver 1&2. I don't know why more people haven't played this one. Excellent adventure game (though combat in the second one can grow stale), a suprisingly intricate plot with good twists and turns (in a good way, not a Metal Gear Solid 2 way), and hands down the best voice acting in any videogame ever. SR2 is on my list of top 5 games, though the others on it are more well known.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current Games:
    PC: Dungeons and Dragons Online
    PS: Chrono Cross
    DS: Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney - Justice for All

Current Books:
    Not Currently Reading Anything

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Inigo_Carmine View Post
    ...a suprisingly intricate plot with good twists and turns (in a good way, not a Metal Gear Solid 2 way),....

Aww, MGS2's plot twists were awesome. I'm hurt D:
    Druid-Ninjatar by the sensuous Serpentine.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Sword of the Samurai, PC 386 era gaming.

In this game, you play an aspiring samurai trying to gain enough honor and prestige in the eye of your lord to finally succeed him and hope to one day become the new Daimyo. Great game with lots of arcade action.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ranis View Post
    Aww, MGS2's plot twists were awesome. I'm hurt D:
    Eww.

Uh... I always thought Viewtiful Joe never got the recognition it deserved. I love that game pretty hard.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    Earthbound is the most underrated game I have played. It's timing was bad, as it fell right in at the time when an RPG was supposed to have swords and magic, rather than baseball bats and PSI. Still the humour is fantastic.
    I was gonna say that. First game that came to mind when I saw this thread.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

16. - Top - End - #16

It's hard to say because sometimes you think something's unheard of only to find that it's more popular than you thought. And there's relativity to how underrated something is... but...

Planescape: Torment - This is a weird one because in some ways I think it has more vocal fans now than when it came out in 1999. It won RPG of the Year but didn't sell well; now tons of people are trying to find a copy. Awesome game that should have been marketed better.

The Suikoden Series - Depending on who I'm talking to, it seems like this is either really popular or extremely obscure. At any rate, I'm not a massive JRPG fan, but this is a series I've really enjoyed. In a world where it seems of console RPGs all that anyone seems to talk about is Final Fantasy, Suikoden offers some of the best of that genre while also offering a really unique world and some very cool ideas and wonderful characters.

Shadow Hearts Covenant - Just played this a little while ago and wondering why I seem to be the only person who's heard of it. Another JRPG, but with a very different feel than the others I've played, set in an alternate World War I era Earth with fantasy elements.

I second another poster's mention of Nethack. Good old Roguelikes.

Titan Quest -- This is a fairly recent game, having come out last summer, but didn't get widely marketed. It's very Diablo-like in gameplay, with an "ancient-worlds" setting. It's well-written and paced; the interface is nothing new if you've played Diablo, but it's a well-done game and should get some credit where it's due.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Shining Force II for Sega Genisis. Remarkably good for your typical save-the-world RPG.

I agree with Nethack, for its endless playability. Since you tend to die a lot.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Geneforge series (from Spiderweb Software). It has one of the coolest settings, and a very good plot.

Any game where you are attacked by a pack of genetically enhanced cows is cool.
    Founder of the Fanclub of the (Late) Chief of Cliffport Police Department (He shall live forever in our hearts)
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!
    Shameless shill:

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Although I agree with Nethack, I think ADOM is far better.

I second Majesty too, it was truly an unique game.

And if I would add a nominee myself, it would be Gangsters. Basically, it was a X-COM type game in early 1900's, where you ran a mafia gang along several other rival gangs. Anyone heard or played it?
    Last edited by Assasinater; 2007-04-30 at 01:49 PM.
    \"Ring is on, ring is off!\"

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cnsvnc View Post
    Any game where you are attacked by a pack of genetically enhanced cows is cool.
    You mean like, Diablo 2?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

I like Nethack, but think as a whole the roguelike genre has been grossly underrated. Only a small amount of people have been exposed to it, and I can easily say they are among the best I have ever played. What you give up for in graphics, you get back in gameplay (and depending on which, plot).

22. - Top - End - #22

NecromancerGuy

I'm gonna go with The Dig as my nomination. Excellent point-and-click adventure game with an interesting and original plot, and decent puzzles to boot.

Baldur's Gate for me was overrated. If it was half as long then it wouldn't be, but the game just drags in my opinion. I agree with the Planescape and Soul Reaver nominations though - excellent games that for some strange reason have only become as popular as they deserve in more recent times. Funny how some things go.

23. - Top - End - #23

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem. A hidden gem on the GameCube. Amongst the first 20 to be released, but none of my friends had even heard of it until I told them about it.

I will not rest until Eternal Darkness is granted the credit it deserves.

Oh, and I'm on the Cel Damage bandwagon. That game rules. "What do you expect? I'm EVIL!"
    Thanks to Tape Measure for my avatar!

Steam Name- [GitP] Dragor. Captain of the random disconnect, Lieutenant of the 'Uncloaking in front of somebody' Brigade.
    League of Legends- Supernaturalist

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Colonization. Magnificent game, dating back to about the same time as the first Civ game (and made by the same people if I'm not mistaken). You play as one of the European powers and build a trade/religious/military empire, the objective of the game being achieving independence from your original european nation.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragor View Post
    Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem. A hidden gem on the GameCube. Amongst the first 20 to be released, but none of my friends had even heard of it until I told them about it.

I will not rest until Eternal Darkness is granted the credit it deserves.
    To quote Tycho of Penny Arcade: "... it had an extremely overwrought title. Fortunately, the game itself is wrought to exacting specifications."
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kung Fu Chaos. Great 3D fighting game, tons of maps, characters, and alterable bits to keep it fresh.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

Star Control. The setting is way too creative to die out!

Zilargo Linguist made by Simius

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob_Gallagher View Post
    Kung Fu Chaos. Great 3D fighting game, tons of maps, characters, and alterable bits to keep it fresh.
    my friend used to own that game. I gotta be honest, it was really fun in the beginning. But after about 2 hours of playing the game, it got old really quick. (Especially since the fighting system itself is not very solid.)

29. - Top - End - #29

I agree that Bloodlines is underrated. Some games, like Planescape: Torment and the Thief series were never very successful in terms of sales, but they do have some very vocal and devoted fans (like me).

Still, I see more people who know about Torment or the Thief series than who know about Bloodlines, which deserves a better cult following than it seems to have.

30. - Top - End - #30

EvilClericGuy

The Secret of Evermore. Too many people couldn't get over the fact that it wasn't Secret of Mana 2 to give it a chance. They missed out on a great game.

Earthworm Jim 64. Overlooked, but the humour was every bit as good as it was in the first two Earthworm Jim games.
    "Well, as Captain Leif Meldrock says in Mars Needs Lumberjacks, I'm ready for anything."
    ~The Hero, The Secret of Evermore