New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1239 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by CorruptUser View Post
    The comic has a lot of Deus ex Machina moments, but as we all know, "Awesome" makes a great way to pave over plot holes, especially if we have a reveal that seems obvious in retrospect but is otherwise difficult to guess.

Order weakened, surrounded by Tarquin's army and no escape possible? Airship to the rescue!
    Order defeated, about to be devoured by vampires? Durkon retakes control!
    Neither of these are Dei ex Machinis.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mic_128 View Post
    He'd probably stay large enough for long enough for Belkar to climb him to jump at the bee holder.
    And now I'm thinking about the Beeserker (http://www.beeserker.com/).

Also, more relevant, I wonder if the crossbow bolts are poisoned, and how many excellent observations Minrah could make while she is the last to be taken down.

3. - Top - End - #63

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Thecommander236 View Post
    Is Polymorph affected by anti-magic? It is a permanent effect.
    Pretty sure it would be. It's instantaneous effects that would not be affected by anti-magic or dispels.
    Last edited by TRH; 2021-07-07 at 11:06 AM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    And I note that in the last panel, Haley just took an arrow (bolt?) to the knee arch.
    The arrowhead is still visible, so I'm certain that it didn't hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    The way the arrows wobble midair is a bit strange though. It's this just an artistic way to show them being not aimed at all, or is this the effect of some kind of magical protection?
    It could be Sunny using telekinesis.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Quester View Post
    I really expected that someone would still have a mundane source of light on them, though. Most games I have had one at low levels, and never got around to removing it when everyone’s casting light spells.
    Oh, they probably do... stuffed into Bags of Holding.

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    From the SRD:

So if The Giant is being strict Bloodfeast better hope not too much time has passed since he was last sealed inside.
    I can easily imagine that Rich's take would be that it makes very little sense for the amount of air, and the time to suffocation, to be independent of the kind of creature inside the bag. Unless, I suppose, that's an intentional aspect of the enchantment that creates the bag, but I find it hard to believe that someone would intentionally build that factor in.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Gravity is a nice mistress?
    Heh.

Quote Originally Posted by Quizatzhaderac View Post
    Arrows wobble in real life, it's just arrows are typically moving too fast to see clearly.
    I think I'd call that a "wiggle" or "flex" rather than a "wobble". "Wobble" implies a more chaotic motion, it seems to me. At any rate, I think the arrow on the right of panel 6 is clearly being deflected.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Neither of these are Dei ex Machinis.
    I like how the pluralization suggests that this hypothetical ancient theatre keeps separate machines for each god that will pop up at different points in the narrative.
    ungelic is us

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote0715 View Post
    Oh well. I was hoping to see Bloodfeast. Maybe next time....
    hopefully this means that the giant is planning on using the return of bloodfeast one day!
    my avatar is my gaian avatar, it changes whenever i change on gaia.

^ help the order of the stick wiki out? ^

RIP grandmom 1931-2020 T_T
    RIP rocky the pug 2012-2022...

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Also didn't Mercer DM 5e?mever saw but I imagine he would have done the current edition.
    Yes, he morphed his existent Pathfinder (1e) campaign into D&D 5e, and he homebrews heavily. FWIW, the time limit for air in a BoH is the same in 5e as it is in 3.5e.
    Quote Originally Posted by MartianInvader View Post
    Edit: Also, Serini thinks Haley is the leader. A tantalizing bit of information that she doesn't have complete intelligence on the order.
    Haley is certainly a leader in the OoTS. With Roy incapacitated by poison, it's very much "the deputy takes over for the marshal" kind of situation.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

8. - Top - End - #68
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

What do we know about the information she has on the Order? It could be that her information is from when Roy was dead, therefore she thinks he's a new addition. Also just be that she's a strong independant female and sees the same traits in Haley. Not sure how they get out of this without detecting the door shenanigans. Does the AMF effect Elans bard songs?

9. - Top - End - #69
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

How long has it been (in game time) since Roy was resurrected? Possible she did most of her scrying during the time he was dead?

10. - Top - End - #70
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kaed View Post
    I can understand why it's being done, but it is funny to me how conspicuously they are avoiding saying the word '[REDACTED]'.
    I am only mildly disappointed that Belkar's announcement did not include a verbal pause. As in "Behold! er... what's going on?"
    Last edited by LasVegasLawyer; 2021-07-07 at 11:38 AM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hroşila View Post
    I like how the pluralization suggests that this hypothetical ancient theatre keeps separate machines for each god that will pop up at different points in the narrative.
    "While the play does a more than laudable work in exploring its hero's tortured psyche as the consequences for his initial hybris pile on, it really shines thanks to its use of cutting-edge technology. The effects simply fade seamlessly into the spectacle."
    Gn. Felix Labienus, theater critic
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2021-07-07 at 11:35 AM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Belkar: Behold!
    Sunny: What do you think I am doing?

Also can Sunny actually see them in the dark?
    60' darkvision is part of the default for aberrations, so if they are within 60' it can.

13. - Top - End - #73

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by RicB76 View Post
    What do we know about the information she has on the Order? It could be that her information is from when Roy was dead, therefore she thinks he's a new addition. Also just be that she's a strong independant female and sees the same traits in Haley. Not sure how they get out of this without detecting the door shenanigans. Does the AMF effect Elans bard songs?
    It's kind of freaky exactly how precise her knowledge of the Sapphire Guard was, to the point where she knew that O-Chul tried to destroy Soon's gem, and presumably that he was prevented from doing so. Seems a little improbable that she would have personally snuck into Azure City just to watch it happen, so it seems safe to assume she either has access to a lot of scrying spells, or else that she's been in contact with someone who does.

Actually, that makes me wonder if she's talked to Eugene at all, because he's got the scrying power, the knowledge of and interest in the Gates and a comparable level of confidence in Roy's ability to beat Xykon.

14. - Top - End - #74

Quote Originally Posted by TRH View Post
    It's kind of freaky exactly how precise her knowledge of the Sapphire Guard was, to the point where she knew that O-Chul tried to destroy Soon's gem, and presumably that he was prevented from doing so.
    I’m not so sure she had positive knowledge of O-Chul’s past actions so much as she has a highly developed awareness of how a paladin’s mind works and got sort of lucky in her phrasing. She says “promise me you would never destroy a gate under any circumstances” and O-Chul being honorable, and having attempted to destroy a gate in the past, balks.

Edit: wait, never mind. I was forgetting the final panel of that page
    Last edited by Obscuraphile; 2021-07-07 at 12:00 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Obscuraphile View Post
    I’m not so sure she had positive knowledge of O-Chul’s past actions so much as she has a highly developed awareness of how a paladin’s mind works and got sort of lucky in her phrasing. She says “promise me you would never destroy a gate under any circumstances” and O-Chul being honorable, and having attempted to destroy a gate in the past, balks.
    She specifically mentioned that his katana did it, but not that he did it with his katana.

16. - Top - End - #76

Quote Originally Posted by TRH View Post
    It's kind of freaky exactly how precise her knowledge of the Sapphire Guard was ...
    Any rogue, especially an epic (or near-) one, can seem more knowledgeable than they are. How much of her mistaken impressions are ignorance and how much bias isn't yet clear.

17. - Top - End - #77

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Windscion View Post
    Any rogue, especially an epic (or near-) one, can seem more knowledgeable than they are. How much of her mistaken impressions are ignorance and how much bias isn't yet clear.
    Knowing that his weapon destroyed the Gate without him actually doing it is neither biased nor ignorant. That's a pretty specific truth.

18. - Top - End - #78

It looks like Mr Scruffy noticed something in the penultimate panel and is trying to warn Belkar about it in the final one, I wonder what he noticed.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

19. - Top - End - #79

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    I think I'd call that a "wiggle" or "flex" rather than a "wobble". "Wobble" implies a more chaotic motion, it seems to me. At any rate, I think the arrow on the right of panel 6 is clearly being deflected.
    My interpretation is that it's the top of a parabola, with the added oscillatory motion of the arrows added haphazardly.
    The thing is the Azurites don't use a single color; they use a single hue. The use light blue, dark blue, black, white, glossy blue, off-white with a bluish tint. They sky's the limit, as long as it's blue.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Pixie in the Playground

What do we know about the information she has on the Order? It could be that her information is from when Roy was dead,...
    Dammit, you beat to it while I was making the account just to say that!!!!! Haley was indeed the leader at the time, and she made a good job there.
    Well, I'll just add that it means she has a backdoor in the cloister spell (and that's consistent with what we know so far)

21. - Top - End - #81

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Quizatzhaderac View Post
    My interpretation is that it's the top of a parabola, with the added oscillatory motion of the arrows added haphazardly.
    Now that you mention this...
    This would require the maximum range of the arrows to be nearly the same than the maximum range of the hammer (without all the magic enchanting the hammer throw).

This seems to be unlikely...

22. - Top - End - #82

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    It looks like Mr Scruffy noticed something in the penultimate panel and is trying to warn Belkar about it in the final one, I wonder what he noticed.
    My interpretation was just Mr. Scruffy being concerned about where his nap buddy went.

23. - Top - End - #83

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Yeah, she's basically pulling that Tarquin thing when he believed that the member of the Order that resembles him the most must also be the leader. And frankly, that's just sad.
    It's also keeping with the character flaw of every member of the Order of the Scribble; believing that they are the most superior class and refusing to work together to complement their abilities and cover weaknesses.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    I can easily imagine that Rich's take would be that it makes very little sense for the amount of air, and the time to suffocation, to be independent of the kind of creature inside the bag. Unless, I suppose, that's an intentional aspect of the enchantment that creates the bag, but I find it hard to believe that someone would intentionally build that factor in.
    It does have the benefit of giving all creatures their own 10 minutes which could be useful.

We also know that potions scale to size so if magic discounts size for potion impact then it seems reasonable that magic would discount size for bags of holding - and that the text of 10 minutes would remain regardless of creature type/size etc.

Not that I think The Giant is going to 'gotta' Belkar and give have Bloodfeast suffocate - I would see no point in him doing so at least.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

cool Re: OOTS #1239 - The Discussion Thread

Well, since Serini took out the fighter first... I guess it's time for Minrah and her super secret fighter powers to come to the rescue!

Let's see what this kid can do!
    Last edited by DLcygnet; 2021-07-07 at 12:35 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by NerdyKris View Post
    It's also keeping with the character flaw of every member of the Order of the Scribble; believing that they are the most superior class and refusing to work together to complement their abilities and cover weaknesses.
    I always thought the Class-based chauvinism was just a Soon and Dorukan thing. Girard was more about the power of family than of class, and Lirian just seemed kind of lackadaisical in general. I can't imagine any of the others taking Gate-stealers alive and not even guarding them.

27. - Top - End - #87

ElfWarriorGuy

But then she'd only know about Haley and Belkar, since Roy's period of being dead almost exactly coincided with the Order being split up. If she knows anything about Elan, V or Durkon it'd be evidence she was using Bluff and Sense Motive against O'chul rather than having been scrying on people.

I personally think either is possible. An Epic Rogue is capable of just about anything, but a semi-maimed grandma might also not want to work THAT hard if she doesn't have to.

Edit - An epic rogue would also be capable of epic shirking.
    Last edited by Crusher; 2021-07-07 at 12:47 PM.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

28. - Top - End - #88

Seeing high level PCs shut down when you turn off the magic never gets old.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    The professionally offended will always find something to be angry about.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Can Belkar still release Bloodfeast by just throwing the bag of holding up high enough for it to leave the antimagic cone? If he throws it pointing downwards, Bloodfeast could fall out of it and into the antimagic cone.

'Course, that'd require a conscious member of the Order to actually be strong enough to throw a bag that high without magical assistance.
    Last edited by ATHATH; 2021-07-07 at 01:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ATHATH View Post
    Can Belkar still release Bloodfeast by just throwing the bag of holding up high enough for it to leave the antimagic cone? If he throws it pointing downards, Bloodfeast could fall out and into the antimagic cone.
    If things could just fall out that way, there's no guarantee Bloodfeast would fall out first. Unless the bag of holding is otherwise remarkably empty.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    roof dad got laid