New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 163132333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1474
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery XVIII - Everyone's an Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    until there is new evidence
    The Giant clearly doesn't want to give new evidence to us. Blackwing is separated from the Order, because if he was here and Sunny got through his spell resistance, that would clearly show that Vaarsuvius's XL is low.

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Titan in the Playground

Uh, Sunny's eye rays are technically (Su) even though they replicate spells, so SR doesn't apply anyways. Also lucky rolls are a thing.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

3. - Top - End - #1203
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Uh, Sunny's eye rays are technically (Su) even though they replicate spells, so SR doesn't apply anyways. Also lucky rolls are a thing.
    "smothing somthing somthing as a copper piece harlot"

4. - Top - End - #1204
    Titan in the Playground

Actually, Blackwing only has SR equal to V's level +5 I think, which is really low. Even if the rays weren't (Su) Sunny'd still easily make the check most of the time.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

5. - Top - End - #1205
    Barbarian in the Playground

Y'know, I think that there's some truth in that we've put up some very arbitrary stats up in the first post. It might be worth it to go over the stat blocks and trim the fat.
    Just going over Roy's skills, I think we can strike at least 5 from his statblock because they just do not hold up to scrutiny:

Heal (comic). A Heal check isn't required to identify poison.
    Knowledge: Geography (comic). Using navigational tools is different from having knowledge about lands, terrain, climate, and/or people of a particular region.
    Knowledge: Planes, (comic). Considering that Roy was dead 5 strips before, I'm going to say that this isn't so much a skill rank as it is firsthand experience.
    Profession: Baseball Player (BRITF 810a). No evidence that playing sports requires a Profession skill.
    Profession: Goatherd (comic). No evidence that two semesters translates to a rank in a Profession skill.
    Last edited by Ortho; 2021-10-31 at 07:23 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1206
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mjp1050 View Post
    Y'know, I think that there's some truth in that we've put up some very arbitrary stats up in the first post. It might be worth it to go over the stat blocks and trim the fat.
    Just going over Roy's skills, I think we can strike at least 5 from his statblock because they just do not hold up to scrutiny:

Knowledge: Geography (comic). Using navigational tools is different from having knowledge about lands, terrain, climate, and/or people of a particular region.
    Knowledge: Planes, (comic). Considering that Roy was dead 5 strips before, I'm going to say that this isn't so much a skill rank as it is firsthand experience.
    Profession: Baseball Player (BRITF 810a). No evidence that playing sports requires a Profession skill.
    Profession: Goatherd (comic). No evidence that two semesters translates to a rank in a Profession skill.
    I'm with you for almost all of those except knowledge: Geography. An untrained Knowledge check is simply an Intelligence check. Without actual training, you know only common knowledge. The ability to use a sextant is not common knowledge. It's not a dead ringer for Know: Geo, but that's about the closest skill that fits, so far as I can tell. If you'd recommend a different skill that fits it better, (or any other way to explain specific, technical knowledge mechanically), I'd be interested in alternatives.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

7. - Top - End - #1207
    Orc in the Playground

I'd rather a more inclusive approach where we tend to keep the old stuff, but just add new stuff as well with a less rigourous burden of proof.

8. - Top - End - #1208
    Ogre in the Playground

Well actually you need a spell to detect poisons and then pass a DC 20 wisdom check to identify. So this implies Roy has quicken silent detect poison.

Jokes asides, I'm pretty sure there is a mundane, skill based way to identify poisons outside of core, but I cannot remember what book it was. Probably another book added an addendum to heal or it was answered in a FAQ on the old wizard's site. Maybe someone else has a source?
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    Old PF Initiative Build

9. - Top - End - #1209
    Ogre in the Playground

He didn't identify the poison, he identified that it was probably poison based on Elan acting like he'd been poisoned. Doesn't seem like a skill is needed for that.

10. - Top - End - #1210
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    He didn't identify the poison, he identified that it was probably poison based on Elan acting like he'd been poisoned. Doesn't seem like a skill is needed for that.
    No, in the antepenultimate panel he looks at the shuriken and identifies the poison as one that does Constitution damage. He's definitely using some sort of mechanic there, though I'm not sure what.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

11. - Top - End - #1211
    Colossus in the Playground

I'd tentatively suggest Knowledge (nature) or Knowledge (dungeoneering).

The Detect Poison spell uses Craft (alchemy) - but as written, you don't need to use the Detect Poison spell when it comes to treating a poison. A character with no ranks in Craft (alchemy) and lots in Heal, can treat a poison just fine despite making no effort to identify which poison it was.

Possibly a character with ranks in Craft (trapmaking) and ranks in Heal, who routinely crafts their own poison traps, ought to get a synergy bonus (or if they have Knowledge (Nature) or something similar) but there's no rules for it - it would be entirely DM fiat.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2021-11-01 at 07:55 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

12. - Top - End - #1212
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    I'd tentatively suggest Knowledge (nature) or Knowledge (dungeoneering).

The Detect Poison spell uses Craft (alchemy) - but as written, you don't need to use the Detect Poison spell when it comes to treating a poison. A character with no ranks in Craft (alchemy) and lots in Heal, can treat a poison just fine despite making no effort to identify which poison it was.

Possibly a character with ranks in Craft (trapmaking) and ranks in Heal, who routinely crafts their own poison traps, ought to get a synergy bonus (or if they have Knowledge (Nature) or something similar) but there's no rules for it - it would be entirely DM fiat.
    Since you need some idea of whats wrong with someone to properly treat it i would assume a heal check includes and/or can be used to diagnose the injuries someone is suffering from. That they are poisoned, (and what effects, but not necessarily which specific poison), is a reasonable thing to be able to diagnose.

My read is that the idea the shuriken where the source of the poison was speculation, whilst the fact that Elan was taking constitution damage was a result of some skill or feat. A heal check whilst not explicitly allowed to do this is a reasonable DM fiat thing it could do. If anyone can think of a good alternative go ahead however.

13. - Top - End - #1213
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

"No one cares about that stuff anymore"

Hah, good one, Belkar!
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

14. - Top - End - #1214

We do know that his memory of planar happenings waned somewhat after resurrection, so specific information probably still requires a rank.

Per Stormwrack (which might be in play, I dunno), a sextant provides a +2 circumstance bonus to Knowledge (Geography) and that same book sets DCs for piloting and course setting, which is probably highly relevant to the seafaring arc and the desert-navigation where we see Roy use a sextant.

On the other hand, we can't quite say without proof that such DCs were being used, so I dunno. Given Frostburn is in play, it might be reasonable to say that at least one other environmental supplement is being used.

15. - Top - End - #1215
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Wildstag View Post
    Per Stormwrack (which might be in play, I dunno), a sextant provides a +2 circumstance bonus to Knowledge (Geography) and that same book sets DCs for piloting and course setting, which is probably highly relevant to the seafaring arc and the desert-navigation where we see Roy use a sextant.
    Good to know! No wonder my QAD check didn't turn up anything for it.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

16. - Top - End - #1216

We do know that his memory of planar happenings waned somewhat after resurrection, so specific information probably still requires a rank.
    Roy's mostly being philosophical, though. I don't think that any specific information is being shared here at all. Aside from that Outsiders are unable to be resurrected, but he learned about that in 603

On the other hand, we can't quite say without proof that such DCs were being used, so I dunno. Given Frostburn is in play, it might be reasonable to say that at least one other environmental supplement is being used.
    Thanks for the input. I only have access to the SRD, so I can't double check the other books in play.

17. - Top - End - #1217
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    "No one cares about that stuff anymore"

Hah, good one, Belkar!
    Yet another sign the bar for proof on this thread should not be set so high.

NB: and look, V has yet again been split off from the party with Hayley and Belkar, and has been plot balled as well; any reason to not just cast grasping hand, like before they even separated, which she can't use her wand of dimension door to get out of? Of course not. V knows it would work, because Hayley grappled Serini, and it has a range of 280 feet for V.
    Last edited by TooSoon; 2021-11-01 at 03:29 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1218
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TooSoon View Post
    Is it, though? It's no mystery that the comic doesn't operate on strict rules, and neither does any plausible version of this thread, really. You seem to be advocating for establishing strict rules, but I don't think this is actually possible. I mean, really try to sit down and write a set of rules that cover every situation regarding the heirarchy of which pieces of evidence trump which other ones (in a way that isn't subject to multiple interpretations), and which sources should be used, and how, if multiple explanations are possible, to resolve which ones to use. I'll wait.

Of course it's not truly possible, and we just each have our own idea of how it should work. This is not, ultimately, a flaw in the rules, it's a flaw in what we're trying to do, so we have mostly carry a bias towards things that can be figured out, and also towards things that can be agreed on. This is squidgy, but there isn't actually an alternative world where we just nail it down to arbitrary rules--not only would the rules themselves be so cumbersome that we'd spend all our time arguing about how to interpret them, but the rules themselves would no doubt wind up being self-contradictory. This is just a feature of complex systems, and even if you could nail it down, the results would likely be highly unsatisfying from a "does this really make sense" perspective.

Once or twice a thread, we get bogged down in a really detailed argument about something controversial, and a few people get really worked up, and then we move on. In this case, I think you have presented a fairly compelling case, and maybe even have brought me personally around to the view that we ought to list V as level 17.

That said, the other side has a case, too, and it's pretty clear that we don't have consensus. A post-at-a-time forum isn't a fantastic tool for achieving consensus when there is real disagreement, so I would opine that we've arrived at a system where when we reach an impasse we just move on, and no amount of saying your argument over again (or louder) is really likely to convince anyone at this time, so I would suggest we just move on for now, and hopefully the comic will give us more information soon and then it will be a moot point.

In the meantime, what does V mean by casting weaker dispel magic?

19. - Top - End - #1219
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ephemera View Post
    In the meantime, what does V mean by casting weaker dispel magic?
    Dispel Magic rather than Greater Dispel Magic.

20. - Top - End - #1220

ClericGuy

NB: and look, V has yet again been split off from the party with Hayley and Belkar, and has been plot balled as well; any reason to not just cast grasping hand, like before they even separated, which she can't use her wand of dimension door to get out of? Of course not. V knows it would work, because Hayley grappled Serini, and it has a range of 280 feet for V.
    I read this more as "Look, the less important rules are not followed every time". Which would point out that you should not try to determine Vs level by the number of people included in a spell.

And I fail to see your point here. V is part of the action, chasing Serini who is very important for the plot since she knows a lot about the gates. V is not on a solo adventure or sidelined. It's rather the other way round. Roy and Durkon are down and out of focus, while Elan (probably) is busy using diplomacy on Sunny, off panel.

And the shell choice... maybe V thought a higher duration would be important, so they all have time to talk to Serini? Or she wanted to conserve her higher level spell slots?
    And how on earth should V have known that Serini has a magic item to get out of a magic prison?

V made a reasonable choice here.
    Spoiler: I'm a seer
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Unavenger View Post
    All the discussion of how weird the half-hour start is seems weirdly prescient, in retrospect.
    Can I use my prediction of the half an hour being used to set up Factional chats as proof I am the Seer?
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue_alchemist View Post
    only IRL, not as in game proof, as we all know that recruitment threads don't count for making IG decisions

21. - Top - End - #1221

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Carl View Post
    My read is that the idea the shuriken where the source of the poison was speculation, whilst the fact that Elan was taking constitution damage was a result of some skill or feat. A heal check whilst not explicitly allowed to do this is a reasonable DM fiat thing it could do. If anyone can think of a good alternative go ahead however.
    It kind of depends how you think about hitpoints and ability damage. You can look at somebody and see that they are injured without a check. How BADLY injured? no mechanic, although if unconscious the difference between bleeding out and dead is another grey area, barring something like Deathwatch active.

Some GMs require a spot check to see extent of injuries, some use heal. For a poison you might use Kn Nature if it is a spider or Kn Arcana if a Wyvern etc...Kn skill varies by source, although KN skill is more like 'wyvern poison does con damage and that is a wyvern that just stung Elan" as opposed to Per and/or Heal which might be "He's taking CON damage from SOMETHING and it is ongoing..."

In the OOTVerse, damage is visible (scrapes and whatnot), and poisons look a certain way (you go green with bubbles). Death is obvious from the X in the eyes barring disguise skill tricks. Con damage...not as visible to casual reader but Roy might have seen something. Both Per and Heal are untrained skills and Roy is supposed to have a non-negative wisdom score, so he might have just rolled either of those high.

And the shell choice... maybe V thought a higher duration would be important, so they all have time to talk to Serini? Or she wanted to conserve her higher level spell slots?
    While I agree, on basis of high rogue reflex saves alone, a grasping hand would have been a better call, there is always a reason why any wizard might not do something.

V prepared different 7th level spells today. No grasping hand today. We know V's spellbook, but not spells prepared on any given day.

V doesn't get very many high level spell slots, Forcecage is usually one of them (and has a steep material component cost so using the free, 4th level sphere first may have seemed like a better choice since V had 2 teammates nearby in case it failed)
    Last edited by Seward; 2021-11-01 at 04:44 PM.

22. - Top - End - #1222
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seward View Post

While I agree, on basis of high rogue reflex saves alone, a grasping hand would have been a better call, there is always a reason why any wizard might not do something.

V prepared different 7th level spells today. No grasping hand today. We know V's spellbook, but not spells prepared on any given day.

V doesn't get very many high level spell slots, Forcecage is usually one of them (and has a steep material component cost so using the free, 4th level sphere first may have seemed like a better choice since V had 2 teammates nearby in case it failed)
    V could STILL have cast grasping hand, who needs to "pursue" with flight when you can grab them from 280 feet away with grasping hand? Ok, maybe V did not prepare it (despite variations of it being V's most commonly used spell) but it seems unlikely. Even if you're trying to conserve higher spells with resilient sphere, why not just follow up with the grasping hand when she gets out of it. She has literally no escape from it. It's also not that valuable a slot, I mean V gets at least 4 level 7 spells per day, and if V is level 17 as I believe they have 3 level 8 spells and 2 level 9 spells above that. It feels like capturing Serini for 18 rounds merits its use. You'll assuredly burn even more spells if she gets more distance on you and can activate more built in traps and defenses, plus if Serini is in range of Resilient Sphere she's definitely in range of grasping hand. The former only has a range of 70 feet for a level 17 Wizard, while the latter has a 280 foot range. After she escapes the sphere just grasp her. End fight. That obviously didn't happen because it would have been unsatisfying for the plot.
    Last edited by TooSoon; 2021-11-01 at 07:08 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1223
    Troll in the Playground

V could STILL have cast grasping hand, who needs to "pursue" with flight when you can grab them from 280 feet away with grasping hand? Ok, maybe V did not prepare it (despite variations of it being V's most commonly used spell) but it seems unlikely. Even if you're trying to conserve higher spells with resilient sphere, why not just follow up with the grasping hand when she gets out of it. She has literally no escape from it. It's also not that valuable a slot, I mean V gets at least 4 level 7 spells per day, and if V is level 17 as I believe they have 3 level 8 spells and 2 level 9 spells above that. It feels like capturing Serini for 18 rounds merits its use. You'll assuredly burn even more spells if she gets more distance on you and can activate more built in traps and defenses, plus if Serini is in range of Resilient Sphere she's definitely in range of grasping hand. The former only has a range of 70 feet for a level 17 Wizard, while the latter has a 280 foot range. After she escapes the sphere just grasp her. End fight. That obviously didn't happen because it would have been unsatisfying for the plot.
    Why would V have to have the spell? The plan was never to capture Serini. Serini was never part of the equation for spell selection. If V had prepared a sonic spell, they could have been the evil trees earlier in the comic but he didn't either. It happens. V can't have every single spell ready.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

24. - Top - End - #1224
    Titan in the Playground

I mean, V was planning to fight Team Evil, not Serini. They have far less impressive Reflex saves than her, I’d wager.

Extended sig here.

25. - Top - End - #1225
    Orc in the Playground

I mean, V was planning to fight Team Evil, not Serini. They have far less impressive Reflex saves than her, I’d wager.
    I'd say some form of the hand spells is basically mandatory for V, given their past history (and given the usefulness of the spell). As long as one of the prepared ones is level 7 or higher, it can be used in the way Grasping Hand is, regardless of whether it's with an 8th or 9th spell slot.

26. - Top - End - #1226
    Titan in the Playground

Point of order: if V had 9th level slots then it’d be better to use Crushing Hand.

Also, this isn’t really important but it’s a huge bummer than Xykon is basically resistant or immune to… basically EVERYTHING the Order can do except Durkon’s hammer and maybe a Sunburst from V.

Extended sig here.

27. - Top - End - #1227
    Orc in the Playground

Point of order: if V had 9th level slots then it’d be better to use Crushing Hand.

Also, this isn’t really important but it’s a huge bummer than Xykon is basically resistant or immune to… basically EVERYTHING the Order can do except Durkon’s hammer and maybe a Sunburst from V.
    Except I don't think they want to hurt Serini, so you'd be using it as grasping hand functionally, so as to avoid actual crushing.

Xykon's resistances are annoying, but there's actually a tonne of stuff he can still be hurt by. We had that whole list on ways V could theoretically beat him in 1 round by himself. There are some shockingly easy ways the Order could beat Xykon, including just pinning him down with an AMF ironically enough. None of them will happen, because it'll be unenjoyable for the plot, but there are plenty of theoretical ways. Xykon wouldn't even survive a fight with the Ancient Black Dragon, let alone bigger guns we've seen like the Vector Legion who would probably crush him given their hinted at levels and apparent optimization. The only thing keeping Xykon alive to this point has been plot armour. There are doubtless a tonne of beings in this world who can crush him (high level dragons for eg). He already lost to a 9th level fighter, the Ghost of Soon, and a random Silver Dragon.
    Last edited by TooSoon; 2021-11-02 at 12:13 AM.

28. - Top - End - #1228
    Titan in the Playground

Except I don't think they want to hurt Serini, so you'd be using it as grasping hand functionally, so as to avoid actual crushing.
    I think Crushing Hand has a higher Str? But yeah, it can be used like the lower end Hand spells IIRC.

Xykon's resistances are annoying, but there's actually a tonne of stuff he can still be hurt by. We had that whole list on ways V could theoretically beat him in 1 round by himself. There are some shockingly easy ways the Order could beat Xykon, including just pinning him down with an AMF ironically enough. None of them will happen, because it'll be unenjoyable for the plot, but there are plenty of theoretical ways. Xykon wouldn't even survive a fight with the Ancient Black Dragon, let alone bigger guns we've seen like the Vector Legion who would probably crush him given their hinted at levels and apparent optimization. The only thing keeping Xykon alive to this point has been plot armour. There are doubtless a tonne of beings in this world who can crush him (high level dragons for eg). He already lost to a 9th level fighter, the Ghost of Soon, and a random Silver Dragon.
    AMF is valid(granted that goes for a lot of pure caster types). Roy beating him only worked because Xykon was arrogant enough to not do much until he got yeeted into the Pure Heart Rune, though, and losing a grapple check against a Fighter really isn't implausible for a single-classed Sorcerer.

The only real thing that easily damages him on the Order's side is the hammer and a Sunburst though, maybe a Disintegrate. He's immune to V's energy and Hand spells, Durkon has like half his character levels, Roy can probably hurt him but undead use their Charisma scores for Concentration so I'm not confident the Splinterspell Maneuver will even work, and the rest of the party can't even scratch him, though they'd be able to hurt his allies a lot.

Extended sig here.

29. - Top - End - #1229
    Orc in the Playground

I think Crushing Hand has a higher Str? But yeah, it can be used like the lower end Hand spells IIRC.

AMF is valid(granted that goes for a lot of pure caster types). Roy beating him only worked because Xykon was arrogant enough to not do much until he got yeeted into the Pure Heart Rune, though, and losing a grapple check against a Fighter really isn't implausible for a single-classed Sorcerer.

The only real thing that easily damages him on the Order's side is the hammer and a Sunburst though, maybe a Disintegrate. He's immune to V's energy and Hand spells, Durkon has like half his character levels, Roy can probably hurt him but undead use their Charisma scores for Concentration so I'm not confident the Splinterspell Maneuver will even work, and the rest of the party can't even scratch him, though they'd be able to hurt his allies a lot.
    Once we assume V is level 17 that opens up a lot of ways for V to handle Xykon, especially if V took a level in Archmage since then (or more than 1). For instance, with mastery of elements V could cast Meteor Swarm and then change the output to Sonic or something that will hurt him, and then chain that with a quickened disintegrate or other quickened empowered spell. V could use arcane reach to hit him with a 1 shot spell like Imprisonment from 30 feet or more away. V could use shapechange to great effect. As the thread discussed, there are many ways V can mess Xykon up, especially with spells we haven't seen, but which are in theory within their ability to now possess. Of course none of this will happen, because it's boring, but I think Xykon is being overrated as a threat significantly.

30. - Top - End - #1230
    Titan in the Playground

Assuming levels in a specific PrC is kinda silly, especially when precisely one member of the party has one at all and that was a one-level dip. And not every arcane caster takes Archmage either(if only because some are essentially full casting progression with class features for no drawback; Archmage is good but does have a legitimate cost).

I don't think V has to personally hurt Xykon to contribute greatly, though; buffs and battlefield control are usually even more effective than just straight up blasting.

Extended sig here.