New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Girl Genius: XXXenophile Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    They died, yes, but they still might have fought very well - better than most I imagine, since they were all four-armed.
    Yeah but we all know its better to be forewarned than four armed.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

2. - Top - End - #182
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    No, no - being forwarned is being forearmed - therefore they weren't just priestesses, they were prophetesses!

(Well, there is the matter of Chump - I bet they didn't see him coming)
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

3. - Top - End - #183
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Today's page refers to Araucaria araucana acrostica, which appears to be a crossword puzzle tree. In the real world, Araucaria araucana, of South America, has the common name "monkey puzzle tree".

4. - Top - End - #184

Have we noticed before that Lady Steelgarter has four eyebrows as well as four arms? Or is it only visible in today's non-coloured page?
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

I think it's an art error, or something that was going to be coloured over (they look to be behind the hair). That, or Lady Steelgarter wears glasses.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

(Well, there is the matter of Chump - I bet they didn't see him coming)
    I doubt many did.
    Considering what he singlehandedly did to Europe.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

7. - Top - End - #187
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    I doubt many did.
    Considering what he singlehandedly did to Europe.
    He is a one-man Spanish inquisition!

New theory about Steelgarter: she has an ancestress who was a priestess and wrote down the 4-arm ritual and a description of skifander. So she isn't from Skifander, but she thinks she will have power if she goes there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post

New theory about Steelgarter: she has an ancestress who was a priestess and wrote down the 4-arm ritual and a description of skifander. So she isn't from Skifander, but she thinks she will have power if she goes there.
    Too be fair, if she does it right, she wouldnt be wrong. If you go to a nation that prides itself on its culture and say, "Hey, you know that large chunk of culture you lost awhile back? I have records on how everything was done and am a descendant of said group" She could probably parley that into legit high priestess type power if she plays her cards right. Maybe not ruler of a nation power, but certainly a powerful and important position.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

9. - Top - End - #189

I think it's an art error, or something that was going to be coloured over (they look to be behind the hair). That, or Lady Steelgarter wears glasses.
    Phil regularly draws eyebrows overlapping the hair (see Colette in the last panel of the previous page). Phil's characters have very expressive eyebrows, and I don't think he would have picked two separate positions for the same set of eyebrows, nor accidentally inked them both. I wouldn't be surprised if he draws the face and eyebrows before adding the hair, and deliberately puts the hair behind the eyebrows. I don't think the picture shows glasses either.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post
    Phil regularly draws eyebrows overlapping the hair (see Colette in the last panel of the previous page). Phil's characters have very expressive eyebrows, and I don't think he would have picked two separate positions for the same set of eyebrows, nor accidentally inked them both. I wouldn't be surprised if he draws the face and eyebrows before adding the hair, and deliberately puts the hair behind the eyebrows. I don't think the picture shows glasses either.
    It looks to me like she has two eyebrows above her right eye but only one above her left, which I think makes it more likely to be an art error.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

11. - Top - End - #191

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    It looks to me like she has two eyebrows above her right eye but only one above her left, which I think makes it more likely to be an art error.
    Right. I thought I saw four, but looking more closely, the upper one above her left eye seems to be only the outer half of an eyebrow, which is half covering a bauble. We'll see what Cheyenne makes of it, I guess.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post
    I don't think the picture shows glasses either.
    Spoiler: Language!
    Show
    Four-eyes is an old slang term for someone who wears glasses.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The problem I have with Skifander being on Mars or the Moon, as some have speculated, is that the explorer Steelgarter hired reached it. And he came back via a way that the pirates caught them. If he had plans or believed he had a way to Mars or wherever, I'm sure Steelgarter would have mentioned it when she first met Zeetha.
    I'm currently headcannoning that it is in the artic or antarctic, in a hidden/protected jungle biome :)

14. - Top - End - #194

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Appropriate based on this thread title, if I'm getting the reference :)

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

There's likely much more to it than that. If she wanted to get to skifander she could have simply cooperated with Zeetha, but she very specifically decided to go behind her back by trying to steal one of her belongings. She wanted to find a way to skifander but she didn't want zeetha to be part of it

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    There's likely much more to it than that. If she wanted to get to skifander she could have simply cooperated with Zeetha, but she very specifically decided to go behind her back by trying to steal one of her belongings. She wanted to find a way to skifander but she didn't want zeetha to be part of it
    Zeetha wouldn't be of much help beyond providing a skifandrian item for the gate to work with, which is something I'd assume Steelgarter wouldn't want to share information about with anyone outside of her co-conspirators.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

17. - Top - End - #197
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    The problem I have with Skifander being on Mars or the Moon, as some have speculated, is that the explorer Steelgarter hired reached it. And he came back via a way that the pirates caught them. If he had plans or believed he had a way to Mars or wherever, I'm sure Steelgarter would have mentioned it when she first met Zeetha.
    I'm currently headcannoning that it is in the artic or antarctic, in a hidden/protected jungle biome :)
    The biggest reason I suspect an "off-Earth" location for Skifander (Mars makes the most sense, but Venus could work just as easily - either would fit the sometimes pulp sensibility of GG) is Lucrezia's utter shock that Klaus both returned and did so in only a few years.

There's no reason to think Lucrezia was under any misunderstanding of Klaus' abilities, so she really did send him somewhere she expected him to be unable to return from, and certainly did not expect him back after less than a decade. I cannot believe that she would confidently expect anywhere on Earth (or beneath it) to delay him for more than a year or two at most. So we're left with Skifander being Mars or its equivalent.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by runeghost View Post
    There's no reason to think Lucrezia was under any misunderstanding of Klaus' abilities, so she really did send him somewhere she expected him to be unable to return from, and certainly did not expect him back after less than a decade. I cannot believe that she would confidently expect anywhere on Earth (or beneath it) to delay him for more than a year or two at most. So we're left with Skifander being Mars or its equivalent.
    The trouble is that the arguement reduces to "Lucrezia took (or sent) Klaus to location X because it was far enough delay him for Y years", and ignores that no matter where X is, Lucrezia (or her agent) also has to go to X and back.

(Yes, in the case of an agent it is possible for the agent to have "destroy ship and stay" orders, but word still has to get back somehow or she is trusting to luck that they made it there, and with Klaus involved I don't think Lucrezia would be that stupid)

You can make a better arguement for sending him through time, since Klaus doesn't have the technology; but we don't know if Lucrezia had that technology at that point.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The trouble is that the arguement reduces to "Lucrezia took (or sent) Klaus to location X because it was far enough delay him for Y years", and ignores that no matter where X is, Lucrezia (or her agent) also has to go to X and back.

(Yes, in the case of an agent it is possible for the agent to have "destroy ship and stay" orders, but word still has to get back somehow or she is trusting to luck that they made it there, and with Klaus involved I don't think Lucrezia would be that stupid)

You can make a better arguement for sending him through time, since Klaus doesn't have the technology; but we don't know if Lucrezia had that technology at that point.
    I've never considered the possibility that Lucrezia used a person to wrangle Klaus to his destination. My original thought on reading the strip I linked was that she'd stuffed him in some sort of combination pod/prison/airship/rocket, probably while comatose. (A minon can't be trusted to effectively handle Klaus effectively, and a Spark simply can't be trusted.) Once we found out about the portals, I assumed she used a portal to dump him on Skifander (with Lu confident he couldn't use the portal for a return trip for reasons we don't quite understand yet - obviously she was wrong).

20. - Top - End - #200

I cannot fault Lucrezia's assessment of Albia. Albia is complacent in her power. Also, I suspect the age of queens was barely a hundred years long: barely a blip when history is concerned.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Also, I suspect the age of queens was barely a hundred years long: barely a blip when history is concerned.
    Albia's memories go back far longer than that.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Troll in the Playground

Wild Theory: The Age of Queens corresponds to the Bronze Age - since the pre-Queen Albia appears wearing extensive bronze ornamentation. The destruction of the Queens would therefore correspond to the Bronze Age Collapse. This follows the 'before Rome' line, since Rome was founded sometime in the 8th Century BCE.

Also, since Albia's memories are stored in the 'Queen's Henge' which is probably a facsimile for Stonehenge, constructed some time between 3000-2000 BCE (with main construction of the big stones around 2500 BCE), this would also match up with the Bronze Age period for the Age of Queens, assuming Albia did not take power until at least several centuries had already passed.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

23. - Top - End - #203

SamuraiGirl

There is a (probably wrong) theory that all Bronze Age civilizations where matriarchies, which might be where the Foglios got the idea for the Age of Queens. So it would fit that this is the Spark version of the Bronze Age.

I'm surprised that Lucrezia thinks that Albia has never really tried to understand the gates - trying to understand and improve any shiny thing that crosses their path is pretty much part of the definition of being a spark. Either Lucrezia is just trying to insult Albia or she severely underestimating her (in my opinion). Considering how surprised and insulted she is every time someone manages to defeat her, she's probably underestimating everyone.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alandra View Post
    There is a (probably wrong) theory that all Bronze Age civilizations where matriarchies, which might be where the Foglios got the idea for the Age of Queens. So it would fit that this is the Spark version of the Bronze Age.

I'm surprised that Lucrezia thinks that Albia has never really tried to understand the gates - trying to understand and improve any shiny thing that crosses their path is pretty much part of the definition of being a spark. Either Lucrezia is just trying to insult Albia or she severely underestimating her (in my opinion). Considering how surprised and insulted she is every time someone manages to defeat her, she's probably underestimating everyone.
    Albia might have a good reason to keep the gates disabled. After all, they were shut down hard because of a deadly threat to all the queens.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

25. - Top - End - #205

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by runeghost View Post
    The biggest reason I suspect an "off-Earth" location for Skifander (Mars makes the most sense, but Venus could work just as easily - either would fit the sometimes pulp sensibility of GG) is Lucrezia's utter shock that Klaus both returned and did so in only a few years.

I think Lucrezia expected Klaus to die in the place she sent him, but by someone else's hand, allowing her to pretend to be "good". Remember she saw being good as a technique toward winning and gaining power, not worthwhile in its own right. "Hypocrisy is the tribute vice pays to virtue".

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    Albia might have a good reason to keep the gates disabled. After all, they were shut down hard because of a deadly threat to all the queens.
    I do believe we saw Queen-killer Lucrezia use them, so yes, a hard shut down would be appropriate.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

We know the Queen slaughter happened "nearly five thousand years ago" and Albia ascended "before the channel", so around 8000 years before the current events. And the Queens predate that of course...
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

27. - Top - End - #207

Quote Originally Posted by Divayth Fyr View Post
    We know the Queen slaughter happened "nearly five thousand years ago" and Albia ascended "before the channel", so around 8000 years before the current events. And the Queens predate that of course...
    That sounds like a good rebuttle to my claim that the age of Queens only lasted 100 years.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

I think Lucrezia expected Klaus to die in the place she sent him, but by someone else's hand, allowing her to pretend to be "good". Remember she saw being good as a technique toward winning and gaining power, not worthwhile in its own right. "Hypocrisy is the tribute vice pays to virtue".
    Thats extremely unlikely to be the case. For a start Lucrezia were/is fond of Klaus in her own twisted way. He was just a complication that needed to be sidelined for a while.
    And if you want to get rid of Klaus, sending him to a place regular humans survive and thrive is about as likely to work as sending him a stack of waffles then hope he would choke on them.

On the other hand, if you just want him our of your hair, skipping off to a wild land where he can have strange exotic adventures, explore, fight and so on.
    Well then you can clearly do a lot worse than Skiffander. Honestly the plan was close to perfect.
    Lucrezia -would- have gotten rid of Klaus. He would by all account have stayed at Skiff, had it not been for the extremely unlikely case of Klaus's wife giving birth to a boy/girl pair of twins.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

29. - Top - End - #209

Thats extremely unlikely to be the case. For a start Lucrezia were/is fond of Klaus in her own twisted way. He was just a complication that needed to be sidelined for a while.
    And if you want to get rid of Klaus, sending him to a place regular humans survive and thrive is about as likely to work as sending him a stack of waffles then hope he would choke on them.

On the other hand, if you just want him our of your hair, skipping off to a wild land where he can have strange exotic adventures, explore, fight and so on.
    Well then you can clearly do a lot worse than Skiffander. Honestly the plan was close to perfect.
    Lucrezia -would- have gotten rid of Klaus. He would by all account have stayed at Skiff, had it not been for the extremely unlikely case of Klaus's wife giving birth to a boy/girl pair of twins.
    Lucrezia was surprised not because Klaus could come back, but because he found a reason to? Well now, that is both a more satisfying explanation and a less convoluted one.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

I think Klaus would have eventually come back regardless of twins or no twins. The man is nothing if not stubborn and wasn't going to give up on helping his friends just because he ended up in a fun place. Skifander was a distraction.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.