New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 45 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: World of Warcraft - Interbellum (OOC Thread)

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    Yep, not only is Isaera extremely squishy, but she hasn't even got her new frost armor ability up....

toughness: [roll0]

So that's three degrees of failure. Already staggered, and now a -1 penalty on top of that.

Can Mor'Lag reach the centaurs with her charge? I was thinking an attack roll from her was in order.

Oof...

Look on the bright side though...they were planning an ambush, so...Marion was right . That'll be comforting for Isaera, yeah?
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

2. - Top - End - #692
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MrAbdiel View Post
    And no, I don’t think Mor’Lag has any movement boosters. So she moved 30 and used her action to move another 20, getting up in the face of one and making herself a target.
    Says here: "You can combine a charge action with a move action, allowing you to move up to twice your speed (your speed rank as a move action, then your speed rank again when you charge)."

Quote Originally Posted by BananaPhone View Post
    Oof...

Look on the bright side though...they were planning an ambush, so...Marion was right . That'll be comforting for Isaera, yeah?
    I really disagree with that. Planning an ambush is not the same thing as having backup in case things go wrong.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2022-03-29 at 09:25 AM.

3. - Top - End - #693
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Yeah...they're just a notoriously aggressive, savage species knowing for plundering and enslaving others and almost driving the Tauren to extinction...brandishing weapons and arrayed and hiding in a semi-circle around us...I'm sure they had nothing but the friendliest of intentions .
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

4. - Top - End - #694
    Titan in the Playground

Also here is the full description of the perception modifier:

Non-Area?
    Perception: The effect works on anyone able to perceive the target point with a particular sense, chosen when you apply this extra, like a Sense-Dependent effect (see the Sense-Dependent modifier). Targets get a Dodge resistance check, as usual, but if the check is successful suffer no effect (rather than half). Concealment that prevents a target from perceiving the effect also blocks it. This modifier includes the Sense-Dependent flaw (see Flaws) so it cannot be applied again. If it is applied to an already Sense-Dependent effect, it costs 2 points per rank rather than 1.

Definitely Area:
    Perception: A perception area effect can be placed anywhere the user can accurately perceive. Perception area effects neither require an attack check nor allow a Dodge resistance check, although targets still get a normal resistance check against the effect. perception area effects are blocked by either concealment or cover; choose one when acquiring the effect. For concealment, if the attacker can’t accurately perceive a target in the area, it is unaffected. Thus even heavy smoke or darkness can block the effect. Effects blocked by cover are much like conventional area effects: solid barriers interfere with the effect, even if they are transparent, but the effect ignores concealment like darkness, shadows, or smoke. Only targets behind total cover are unaffected.

Example: Mindmaster has a Burst Area Affliction, allowing him to seize control of the minds of everyone in the affected area. He must be able to accurately perceive a target to control it; an invisible foe or one out of his line of sight, for example, would be unaffected, even if they were within the area of the burst. On the other hand, targets behind a glass wall or invisible force field are affected, since Mindmaster can perceive them. Conversely, Fright-Master has a Burst Area Affliction as well—his fear-inducing gas. Targets behind a solid barrier (such as on the other side of that glass wall or invisible shield) are unaffected, but the unseen or concealed target is, even though Fright-Master can’t perceive him, since the gas still reaches them.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2022-03-29 at 09:35 AM.

5. - Top - End - #695
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Making an Expertise roll for Summoning Varghast.

Expertise (Magic - Fel): (1D20+11)[21]

Ooop, scratch that, need Standard action this turn for Concentration Death and Decay.
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2022-03-29 at 09:47 AM.

6. - Top - End - #696
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by AreaPerceptionAhoy
    Spoiler: P.S. BananaPhone!
    Show
    Heads up, I think you'll find your Blastwave, Corruption and Death and Decay all have DC 5 less than your sheet describes. My proficiency with the system is increasing, and I'm learning things!

Basic formula for attack stuff is damage powers have a resistance DC of 15+Rank because they incorporate an attack roll. Corruption, as a Perception based power, automatically hits; but the tradeoff for not having to roll to hit is the resistance DC of 10+Rank. Similarly, I've learned more about Area powers like Blastwave, and Death and Decay. With area effects, the impacted enemies get a Dodge Resistance at 10+Rank first. That's to determine if they're hit for full effect, or for half ranks (or none, in the case of a minion). After that, they get a resistance check - with no attack roll, the Resistance roll is the appropriate defence (Toughness, Fortitude or Will) at DC 10+Rank. (I had felt it was weird to be rolling dodge to avoid disease - now I read the rules again the whole thing makes so much more sense.) If you think I've misunderstood something, let me know!

Spoiler
    Show

Do you have where it mentions that, specifically? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I checked the SRD again, here https://www.d20herosrd.com/9-gamemas...ion-adventure/, and this was the entry:

PERCEPTION AND AREA EFFECTS
    Perception and Area effects do not require attack checks, they automatically affect a given target or area (see the Area extra in Powers). Because of this, these attacks cannot score critical hits or misses, nor do modifiers affecting the attack check—including various maneuvers—affect them.

The trade-off for perception/area effects is that you cannot crit nor effect the damage rank with modifiers (like Power Attack etc). In exchange, they auto-hit, barring the resistance, and do the normal DC 15 + Damage Rank (which in Death and Decay's instance is 3, so DC 18).

Also, as Death and Decay doesn't have a specified alternate Resistance, the default Resistance type is Dodge. So if this spell hits you, your only real chance is getting out of dodge before its effect takes place.

And even if they do successfully pass the initial Dodge check, they still take half the ranks worth of damage (so DC 15 + 1 = DC 16), as stated here:

AREA (+1 COST PER RANK)
    This extra allows an effect that normally works on a single target to affect an area. No attack check is needed; the effect simply fills the designated area, based on the type of modifier. Potential targets in the area are permitted a Dodge resistance check (DC 10 + effect rank) to avoid some of the effect (reflecting ducking for cover, dodging out of the way, and so forth). A successful resistance check reduces the Area effect to half its normal rank against that target (round down, minimum of 1 rank).

The Area effect in this case being the Damage 3, which is resisted by Toughness.

So she throws the spell at you, you get to make a Dodge check DC 13 (10 + Area Effect Rank, which is 3 in this case). If you pass then you've jumped out of the worst of it and only take a Toughness DC 16 (15 + 1, half the 3 effect rank), but if you fail then you take the brunt and have to roll a DC 18 (15 +3) Toughness check as your body starts to rot away.

Again, totally open to being wrong, but this is what I've read and gathered. Is there something I'm missing?

Bloop blorp. You are (both) correct and I am the dumb. I was mixing up the PL limit rule (Double the PL for the total of attack bonus and effect rank; straight PL for effect rank on things that don't make attack rolls). You're right; DCs are fine as they are. Fortunately (for me), the centaur gal passed her dodge check, then passed her resistance to the D&D. So she's fine, if wildly defoliative right now.

As for the death and decay thing, back when you used it last, I think I was substituting Fortitude as its resistance roll because the nature of the spell is attacking internal physiological integrity, like a poison or disease. Now that I'm a little clearer on things, you can tell me which way you want that to go, Bananaphone. There's gonna be the Dodge-For-Half part either way, but will you take the thematic sidegrade to Fortitude resistance, or stick with the vanilla Toughness resistance?

Quote Originally Posted by AmbushOrNah?
    Oof...

Says here: "You can combine a charge action with a move action, allowing you to move up to twice your speed (your speed rank as a move action, then your speed rank again when you charge)."

I really disagree with that. Planning an ambush is not the same thing as having backup in case things go wrong.
    Yeah...they're just a notoriously aggressive, savage species knowing for plundering and enslaving others and almost driving the Tauren to extinction...brandishing weapons and arrayed and hiding in a semi-circle around us...I'm sure they had nothing but the friendliest of intentions .
    Since your party struck the first blow, whether they were just being cautious expecting that you might be hostile, or whether they intended to get the first blow themselves, can only remain ambiguous! Alas, the fog of war.

ALSO Windstruck you are right, Mor'Lag can and should punch a centaur as part of the charge. I don't know why I assumed the charge rules wouldn't be standard d20.

7. - Top - End - #697
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Bloop blorp. You are (both) correct and I am the dumb. I was mixing up the PL limit rule (Double the PL for the total of attack bonus and effect rank; straight PL for effect rank on things that don't make attack rolls). You're right; DCs are fine as they are. Fortunately (for me), the centaur gal passed her dodge check, then passed her resistance to the D&D. So she's fine, if wildly defoliative right now.

As for the death and decay thing, back when you used it last, I think I was substituting Fortitude as its resistance roll because the nature of the spell is attacking internal physiological integrity, like a poison or disease. Now that I'm a little clearer on things, you can tell me which way you want that to go, Bananaphone. There's gonna be the Dodge-For-Half part either way, but will you take the thematic sidegrade to Fortitude resistance, or stick with the vanilla Toughness resistance?
    Oh Toughness, definitely. I don't want Undead being immune to my best spell .

Toughness is the check they need to make against it.

Since your party struck the first blow, whether they were just being cautious expecting that you might be hostile, or whether they intended to get the first blow themselves, can only remain ambiguous! Alas, the fog of war.
    Pigs arse, fog of war lol. If I went into the hills of Afghanistan and I was suddenly surrounded by 3 Taliban hiding in the bushes with guns drawn and ready, I wouldn't be thinking oO(Ohh maybe they're just being cautious and they're just looking for directions or something...).
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2022-03-29 at 09:53 AM.

8. - Top - End - #698
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Edit: Sorry fellows, posted in the wrong thread.
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2022-03-29 at 09:57 AM.

9. - Top - End - #699
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Oh Toughness, definitely. I don't want Undead being immune to my best spell .

Toughness is the check they need to make against it.
    Oh, yeah. I hadn't thought of that. Makes sense!

Pigs arse, fog of war lol. They were goons there to ambush us and nothing can convince me otherwise hah.
    "It's time to come in from the cold, Marion. The war is over!"

It will be very rewarding to see Marion's emotional breakdown some day when she is allowed to unclench her Running-For-Her-Life muscles.

10. - Top - End - #700
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Toughened her up. Good cardio too .

11. - Top - End - #701
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

... If I went into the hills of Afghanistan and I was suddenly surrounded by 3 Taliban hiding in the bushes with guns drawn and ready, I wouldn't be thinking oO(Ohh maybe they're just being cautious and they're just looking for directions or something...).
    Then you'd be arrested and executed for attacking government officials. The 2020's are really making a run to be the most garbage of decades!

12. - Top - End - #702
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I still remember my FB being alive on 2019 New Years Day with gifs from the 1920s, and optimistic cheers of the reliving a 'Swinging 20s'.

Sweet summer children...

13. - Top - End - #703
    Titan in the Playground

Pigs arse, fog of war lol. If I went into the hills of Afghanistan and I was suddenly surrounded by 3 Taliban hiding in the bushes with guns drawn and ready, I wouldn't be thinking oO(Ohh maybe they're just being cautious and they're just looking for directions or something...).
    Still a really bad analogy. But I really don't care to discuss it anymore. Either way, you're just predisposed to think the centaurs are evil and were plotting something, so literally nothing I'm going to be able to do to convince you otherwise.

edit: oh yes, bonus points for killing off the plant life in the oasis.

Anyway, I think for area effects it would make sense to substitute dodge for fortitude since they're relatively interchangeable. So in other words, it's an effect you can't really 'dodge' but something your body resists. Then the toughness check would come after, either way.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2022-03-29 at 10:43 AM.

14. - Top - End - #704
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I honestly wasn't sure how M&M handled charges. Honestly, I'm pretty fuzzy on the whole system.

I'll roll an attack, taking a -2 for power attack and a -2 for charging

(1d20+6)[7]
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    Survived Total War: Mandate of Heaven as The Witch-Doctors
    Thrived in Empire! 7 as the Sakura-Jin

15. - Top - End - #705
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Feathersnow View Post
    I honestly wasn't sure how M&M handled charges. Honestly, I'm pretty fuzzy on the whole system.

I'll roll an attack, taking a -2 for power attack and a -2 for charging

[roll0]
    Ah, the troublesome Nat1. Alas.

16. - Top - End - #706
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

edit: oh yes, bonus points for killing off the plant life in the oasis.
    It'll grow back .
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2022-03-29 at 07:13 PM.

17. - Top - End - #707
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

I seems that it's Jakk'ari's turn to act.
    I think the status of the party overall is Isaera is bleeding out causing her to be hindered and dazed, Marion is buffed by demon armor, Emelia is untouched but in the area, and Mor'Lag is in melee with the centaur.
    The enemy seems to have summoned an elemental, the female centaur is running out of the corruption zone, and the male centaur are in a semicircle.

Jakk'ari is going to move right in front of Isaera to hopefully act as a troll shield for her while also attacking the centaur who hit Isaera with a Blast attack.
    Also if possible Jakk'ari will spend a VP to use Leadership to remove dazed from Isaera. The page I am looking at doesn't say using it requires a standard action. Also I'm assuming that everyone got their VP reset to 1 after weeks of not adventuring.

Leadership description: https://www.d20herosrd.com/5-advanta...RSHIP-FORTUNE-

Rolling for blast: *Assuming the centaur is in mid range. (1d20+6)[18]

18. - Top - End - #708
    Titan in the Playground

Well Isaera should be well within the cave now, since I also decided to use some extra effort to take more movement.

I'm not entirely sure if you can cure her staggered condition simply by curing dazed. Like, in a way staggered = dazed+hindered mechanically, but it was inflicted essentially by taking a lot of damage (failing a toughness save by a lot).

Wait. Since hindered. No, that's really bad. Getting staggered effectively cuts your speed down by a quarter then. Even with expending extra effort to move faster, that would mean she only makes it to the entrance of the cave. Gee, thanks!
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2022-03-30 at 01:07 AM.

19. - Top - End - #709
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

The intent was to just cure the dazed component of staggered and possibly cure the hindered condition later with healing later. I don't know if healing and leadership allows characters to heal components of conditions. Leadership only allows the removal of dazed, fatigued, or stunned. So, if healing components of a condition aren't allowed I'll retract the use of leadership and use healing later.

20. - Top - End - #710
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Well Isaera should be well within the cave now, since I also decided to use some extra effort to take more movement.

I'm not entirely sure if you can cure her staggered condition simply by curing dazed. Like, in a way staggered = dazed+hindered mechanically, but it was inflicted essentially by taking a lot of damage (failing a toughness save by a lot).

Wait. Since hindered. No, that's really bad. Getting staggered effectively cuts your speed down by a quarter then. Even with expending extra effort to move faster, that would mean she only makes it to the entrance of the cave. Gee, thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plaids View Post
    The intent was to just cure the dazed component of staggered and possibly cure the hindered condition later with healing later. I don't know if healing and leadership allows characters to heal components of conditions. Leadership only allows the removal of dazed, fatigued, or stunned. So, if healing components of a condition aren't allowed I'll retract the use of leadership and use healing later.

Turns out the SRD suggests, fortunately, addresses this directly: "The individual conditions making up a combined condition can be resolved individually. For example, if an effect that removes the dazed condition is used on a staggered character (who is dazed and hindered), then the character is no longer dazed, only hindered." So you can, in fact, decompose compound conditions into their parts. But you're not wrong, Windstruck; the condition is suggesting that Isaera is debilitated with pain and genuine injury. A leadership use would be a morale recovering, causing someone to focus and push through the pain with cinematic commitment to action; with genuine healing waiting in the wings. It might result in the kind of situation where someone is technically uninjured, but still sporting cinematic cuts, bruises, and arrow shafts.

Fortunately, Plaids is RPing Jakk'ari's Leadership talent as blended with his troll spiritual gifting. So the removal of that dazed condition is, in this case, a certain amount of his regenerative heritage as a troll being supernaturally parcelled out to an ally, for a long enough moment to make the difference. I'll acknowledge the interesting nature of that gift when I do the IC roundup of the actions, but for now, the use works. Isaera is now just hindered, and with a -1 injury.

A couple of things to untangle quickly; all the result of playing a game that is designed to be chattered out over a table in periodic posting.

The spear injured Isaera, but I hadn't necessarily imagined it had actually transfixed her. More like it gouged deeply along her waist, creating a painful, bleeding wound as it clipped her. However, I'm happy to let Windstruck decide the specific quality of the injury. So she might not have actually keeled over with the spear in her; more like she took the wound, staggered back, and shuffled desperately off toward the cave. Technically Isaera acts before Jakk'ari; but since there's no interleafed enemy actions, I'm happy to say the sequence is something like:

Mor'Lag explodes across the ground to engage the centre-most centaur, making herself an obvious and aggressive distraction.
    Jakk'ari dispenses a geyser of flame at the leftmost centaur, then rushes over to Isaera as she staggers from the injury.
    Jakk'ari lays a hand on the side of her face and imparts a supernatural gift of trollish healing, not to mention emptying another cupful of water from the ocean of hostility between elves and trolls across the world.
    Isaera, now only Hindered and not also Dazed, she is free to double-move over to the cave and inside its protective shelter.
    Marion keeps pace, conducting her magics as she goes as a rearguard action.

... And then it's Emilia's turn!

P.S. Plaids: the centauress isn't summoning an elemental as much as seeking the aid of an elemental spirit she brought with her. It's not manifesting as an opponent; it's just on the unmanifested side of things, being the cause of her Elemental Control right now.

21. - Top - End - #711
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Jakk'ari's attack flattens one of the centaurs; and between a fair assessment of their odds and Emilia offering the international sign for "no bully plz", the remaining centaurs flee under cover of the cloud! They move faster than anyone in the group, but if someone has range and is desperate for parting shots, they are entitled to take them. Otherwise, we're out of combat!

22. - Top - End - #712
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Two rounds of DC 16/19 toughness checks on the centauress and no effect?

That's worrying. Have to buff the spell somehow.

23. - Top - End - #713
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

She passed the first one, and fled out of the zone immediately in that turn. I thought it was cool if the contagion 'followed' her to kill all the plants around her, but strictly speaking she wasn't subject to a second round of attempted damage. And even though it's killing the plants, the plants do not become contagious and pass it back because... that would be completely mechanically insane and would eliminate the world's entire biosphere! But she did pass the reflex to half the ranks and then the toughness to tank the damage. So she was hit, and has suffered; but not sufficient to qualify for a mechanical penalty!

Edit: You don't need to buff the spell. It's mad powerful! What you need is some way to cause dice to always roll favorably. :D
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2022-04-02 at 07:24 AM.

24. - Top - End - #714
    Titan in the Playground

So Luck Control?

25. - Top - End - #715
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Edit: You don't need to buff the spell. It's mad powerful! What you need is some way to cause dice to always roll favorably. :D
    So Luck Control?

Heeey, that's not a bad idea! Some type of Feature where you have to roll twice on your saves and take the worst result .

26. - Top - End - #716
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Heeey, that's not a bad idea! Some type of Feature where you have to roll twice on your saves and take the worst result .
    >_<. Oh you!

Interestingly the Luck advantage seems to be one of the most commonly banned advantages I see in M&M because it’s such a no brainer. In this game, Mor’Lag has it with the specific flavour that it’s for use in situations where two heads are better than one; and anyone can win me over quickly with good flavour excuses. But otherwise I’m applying hiiiigh scrutiny to Luck!

27. - Top - End - #717
    Titan in the Playground

I was thinking it was unreasonable for any of us who have not lived in Kalimdor before to know much if anything about the centaurs. But in case we have heard things or read up on anything lately...

history: (1d20+8)[15]

Also, there would be multiple different tribes of them, yes?

28. - Top - End - #718
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I would've imagined the 'stay away from the centaurs' would've been a relatively common theme during our 3-week acclimatization to the area, particularly as one of the missions involved them?

29. - Top - End - #719
    Titan in the Playground

If you recall, that mission dealt with taking out one specific chieftain who seems responsible for making the tribe more warlike and unruly.

It was not to wipe all the centaurs out or kill as many as possible. Or to free slaves or whathaveyou.

I hope that distinction may actually start to give you some doubts.

30. - Top - End - #720
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Not to go to war and genocide them all, but a warning about them . They war constantly with everyone around them (including other centaur), and pushed the Tauren to the brink of extinction until the arrival of the orcs helped them out, and they're known for cannibalism within their own tribes .
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2022-04-04 at 04:17 AM.