New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Default Re: OOTS #1263 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I get that you want to die on this hill but maybe its fine to just be content that you dislike it and it's not worthwhile to try insisting that other people who like it really don't.
    No, everyone has to like the same things I like and anything I dislike is objectively bad and evil! That's the only way to reconcile different personal experiences, right?

Not very fond of tofu myself, but then, I'm also not fond of mushrooms, and plenty of people adore those. My wife can't stand peas (which I love) and she often dislikes pickles (also a thing I love). Plus, you know, I haven't had every variant of it under the sun and can't comment on whether or not everything would be better without tofu, even leaving aside that similar substances no doubt go into a lot of foods I do enjoy. I'll try anything once.
    "But it always seemed weird to me to get mad about things going wrong, as if everything turning out OK was promised to anyone, ever. There wouldn't need to be paladins if the world was, like, fair." -Lien

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Howard Johnson Dame_Mechanus is right
    I get to be a favorite today!

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

Potatoes, tomatoes, and chocolate are from the Americas
    I have had chocolate covered cherry tomatoes. While interesting as a 'tried it once' concept, strawberries are the better idea. I have never had chocolate covered potatoes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    I'm in the US South, where there is someone who will batter and fry anything.
    Yep. Texas State Fair some years ago saw the debut of deep fried ice cream, and the following year, IIRC, the winner was deep fried butter. One of the few breaded and fried things I'll eat, besides catfish, is deep fried greenbeans.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground

I get that you want to die on this hill but maybe its fine to just be content that you dislike it and it's not worthwhile to try insisting that other people who like it really don't.
    I think you've got Vikenlugaid confused with Brian333? Vikenlugaid just joined the tofu conversation.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I am quite obviously joking. I don't dislike tofu's non-flavor and its texture is not offensive. I understand that other people actively like tofu, and if it is in my hot and sour soup I don't spit it out. I rather thought the idea of a food with an alignment was droll and wouldn't be mistaken as anything else.

If you like tofu you like it, and nothing I post matters. If you don't like tofu, perhaps the enthusiasm of some of the posters has rekindled your curiosity and you'll try it again. I encourage everyone to be adventurous with food.

There is a lot of good food that people never try because it exists outside their experience and expectation. Be like Mikey. Try it, you might like it.

(Tofu is still EVIL!)

5. - Top - End - #305
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    I'm in the US South, where there is someone who will batter and fry anything.

We have fried butter, we have fried snickers bars, we have fried BLT sandwiches, we have hush puppies which are basically fried frying batter.

I can easily believe in fried rocks.
    To be honest here in Britain we do eat something we call "rock". Only it is actually made out of sugar. Oh and then there are "rock cakes".
    Last edited by Mad Humanist; 2022-08-08 at 12:16 PM.
    Ever wondered how many games are mentioned in the comic? I have listed them all in a geeklist: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2...es-order-stick

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Humanist View Post
    To be honest here in Britain we do eat something we call "rock". Only it is actually made out of sugar. Oh and then there are "rock cakes".
    Well, considering the notoriety of British cuisine...
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    (Tofu is still EVIL!)
    Spoiler: I dare you to say that again when looking one in the eyes
    Show

Making jokes no-one but you understand is self-love.
    Forum Wisdom

8. - Top - End - #308

Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Mechanus View Post
    If the next strip is Redcloak looking at the valley followed by a Family Circus-style dotted line showing everywhere Xykon has wandered I won't be sure whether that's impressive or horrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Spoiler: I dare you to say that again when looking one in the eyes
    Show

Making jokes no-one but you understand is self-love.
    Any word on whether/when another season might come out, perchance? Thank you again for the rec.
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    Founding (and so far, only) member of the Greyview Appreciation Society
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."

9. - Top - End - #309
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

d6 Re: OOTS #1263 - The Discussion Thread

I think you've got Vikenlugaid confused with Brian333? Vikenlugaid just joined the tofu conversation.
    I did, that's my fault for not paying attention. Vikenlugaid, I apologize.
    Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    I am quite obviously joking. I don't dislike tofu's non-flavor and its texture is not offensive. I understand that other people actively like tofu, and if it is in my hot and sour soup I don't spit it out. I rather thought the idea of a food with an alignment was droll and wouldn't be mistaken as anything else.

If you like tofu you like it, and nothing I post matters. If you don't like tofu, perhaps the enthusiasm of some of the posters has rekindled your curiosity and you'll try it again. I encourage everyone to be adventurous with food.

There is a lot of good food that people never try because it exists outside their experience and expectation. Be like Mikey. Try it, you might like it.

(Tofu is still EVIL!)
    I getcha. The two big things I had issues with were some of it sounding exactly like poeple who have never tried tofu (which, admittedly in hindsight, perfectly fits hyperbolozing it), and the claim that it can be replaced by meats, which doesn't work with vegetarian dishes (or, IMO, many other dishes, but veggie ones were a cheap and easy rebuttal).

Theres this Korean tofu stew my wife's taught me to make which is amazing, and there's nothing like good hot and sour soup.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Yep. Texas State Fair some years ago saw the debut of deep fried ice cream, and the following year, IIRC, the winner was deep fried butter.
    Toss some poultry in there and you got Chicken Kiev.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

10. - Top - End - #310

and there's nothing like good hot and sour soup.
    One of the very few things I miss about Alabama (other than people) is the hot and sour soup that they served in a restaurant named China Town, just south of Five Points in Birmingham. Godly flavor, and a perfect remedy for colds and sinus infections to boot. (^_~)

*googles* Woohoo! They still exist apparently, named "New China Town". If you get a chance, I'd recommend it (and their General Tso's chicken).
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    Founding (and so far, only) member of the Greyview Appreciation Society
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arimareiji View Post
    Any word on whether/when another season might come out, perchance? Thank you again for the rec.
    You're welcome, glad you liked it!
    Season 4 (really the second half of season 3) spent a good amount of time in development hell, because of lack of funding (typical, really) but there was a kickstarter last year (or the one before? Time flies from me) that went over its intended target for 13 episodes and two specials (one of which focused on Oropo's backstory). Ankama hasn't realeased any date yet but rumor has it : late 2023 for the Oropo special, early 2024 for the rest.

Spoiler: Here's the teaser for season 4
    Show

They're also finishing an unrelated mini-serie, called Count Lance-Dur's last adventure set 30 years later with a much darker tone featuring a group of ageing adventurers looking for a worthy death.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2022-08-08 at 01:20 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

12. - Top - End - #312

Quote Originally Posted by arimareiji View Post
    One of the very few things I miss about Alabama (other than people) is the hot and sour soup that they served in a restaurant named China Town, just south of Five Points in Birmingham. Godly flavor, and a perfect remedy for colds and sinus infections to boot. (^_~)

*googles* Woohoo! They still exist apparently, named "New China Town". If you get a chance, I'd recommend it (and their General Tso's chicken).
    I generally hate going to Five Points (despite my deep love of the fountain) but I love hit and sour soup much more.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

Theres this Korean tofu stew my wife's taught me to make which is amazing, and there's nothing like good hot and sour soup.
    Sundubu-jjigae?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

14. - Top - End - #314

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Sundubu-jjigae?
    Sort of but not quite. I asked my wife what the name of it was and this was her reply: "
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Peelee
    So... It's kind of my mom's recipe, I think. It's like Soondubu Jjigae, but it had beef broth powder, right?
    Also, yes, it's beef broth and anchovy powder. And it uses extra firm tofu, not soft. Never soft.

But it's a similar flavor to standard sundubu jjigae.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pearl jam View Post
    Yes. I thought the suggestion of eating fried rocks would be transparently silly enough not to require blue text. lol
    I have found a recipe that uses mineral (or sparkly) water for the tempura dough.
    Avatar by Shoreward. See his comic, here on forum, Cursed of course.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

Minerals? In food? Preposterous!
    *Proceeds to add salt to the pasta*
    Forum Wisdom

17. - Top - End - #317
    Barbarian in the Playground

*Proceeds to add salt to the pasta*
    Ehm. You don't add salt to the pasta. You add salt to the water you cook the pasta into.
    Do not make me go full italian-o on you.
    *"The Godfather"'s theme music intensifies*
    Running naked in the playground!

[email protected]

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Laurentio III View Post
    Ehm. You don't add salt to the pasta. You add salt to the water you cook the pasta into.
    Do not make me go full italian-o on you.
    *"The Godfather"'s theme music intensifies*
    Aye, my ancestors look with disdain upon my workplace's restaurant, tis be true.
    Forum Wisdom

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ogre in the Playground

At some point it's like yo Italians let people enjoy things, why should this bother you, like do you think your sacred recipes popped into existence as is ex nihilo
    ungelic is us

20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hroþila View Post
    At some point it's like yo Italians let people enjoy things, why should this bother you, like do you think your sacred recipes popped into existence as is ex nihilo
    I mean, adding salt in the water makes the saltiness uniform across the pasta while adding it later makes some more salty than others.

Also, something something cultural identity. And getting uppity over food is hardly an Italian-only thing. See the whole steak with(out) gravy thing upthread.
    Forum Wisdom

21. - Top - End - #321

HalflingRogueGuy

I didn't say I dislike it. I like, or at least try, all the food that i find. I am not talking about my tastes. But I think that tofu doesn't have a flavour, so you can like it or dislike ir depending on the flavour that you put on it, isn't that true?

Antway the "bad fame" of tofu is obviously because there was a time when we have this tendency to use tofu as a meat sustitute... And doesn't work like that, not in tastes. I am not a vegetarian but most of my diet is based on vegetables (and fish) but I find an error to try to imitate meat, because it will never really work, it will always taste weird.
    People is happier when they eat one kind food without thinking it is another kind of food.
    Last edited by Vikenlugaid; 2022-08-09 at 05:11 AM.

22. - Top - End - #322

Quote Originally Posted by hroþila View Post
    If you are serious at this, let this italian person say that most of the time italians on the internet get triggered by food discussion for comedic purpose. Or, to say it briefly, we italians like to play the "mama mia, imma an italian!" card.
    Personally I don't really care if you put pineapple on a pizza. I don't like, but I like barbecued pineapple on meat.
    I assumed that "Godfather's theme song intensified" was a giveaway about humorness. I'll work a more heavyhanded punchline next time.

Now, to relax a little, I'm going to dunk some pizza in a cup of tea in front of an englishman.

Bonus content: argument to trigger internet italians:
    - Mona Lisa (it SHOULD belong to Italy, damned French!)
    - carbonara (while all italians will swear there is only ONE true recipe, there are plenty)
    - pesto alla genovese ("Genoese pesto", there actually just one single correct recipe, but everyone gets it wrong)
    - winning in sports, any sport, but soccer is the king (to most italian, Italy ALWAYS was going to win whatever competition, but referees are a corrupted bunch of liars)

[email protected]

23. - Top - End - #323

HalflingRogueGuy

- winning in sports, any sport, but soccer is the king (to most italian, Italy ALWAYS was going to win whatever competition, but referees are a corrupted bunch of liars)
    Hey!! That's spanish!!

24. - Top - End - #324

I'll work a more heavyhanded punchline next time.
    As heavy handed as Italian sauces? HEYO!
    Now, to relax a little, I'm going to dunk some pizza in a cup of tea in front of an englishman
    I like the cut of your jib.
    Mona Lisa is highly overrated. This is one time I am not actually joking.
    - carbonara (while all italians will swear there is only ONE true recipe, there are plenty)
    Psh. Northern Italians can't even agree with southern italians about what "food" is, having them agree on a specific recipe? Fuggedaboudit.
    It would help if italians were any good at it.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ettin in the Playground

I assumed that "Godfather's theme song intensified" was a giveaway about humorness. I'll work a more heavyhanded punchline next time.
    I got it, even if my Italian-ness is only by heritage.

I think that one's pretty universal.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Titan in the Playground

Hey now, we got it fair and square(r than usual)!

Mona Lisa is highly overrated. This is one time I am not actually joking.
    Agreed. The most it's got going for it is having been stolen that one time.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2022-08-09 at 06:48 AM.

27. - Top - End - #327

Agreed. The most it's got going for it is having been stolen that one time.
    Which I'm fairly certain is why it's so famous. Art is too often just as much about the story than it is about the art itself.

28. - Top - End - #328

Psh. Northern Italians can't even agree with southern italians about what "food" is, having them agree on a specific recipe? Fuggedaboudit.
    Well well well... carbonara is carbonara. To start, everyone agrees that pasta must be "al dente" (not fully cooked).
    Then, that pork cheek is essential, while bacon or ham is for eretics (but someone will use it, netherless).
    The main discussion is about how raw the eggs (i like them very raw), if you use the whites or not (I do), and which cheese you are allowed to use (pecorino, or sheep aged cheese).
    Not that it's so important at all, less than a dozen people are killed each year for carbonara-related discussion.
    Using almonds in the pesto is much more insulting.

It would help if italians were any good at it.
    We used to be.
    We used... to be... good at... *crying in old italian*

(OOT: forum lacks a crying icon. Too lazy to search for a crying gif)
    Last edited by Laurentio III; 2022-08-09 at 07:17 AM.

[email protected]

29. - Top - End - #329

My mom was from Austria. She had.... Thoughts on northern Italy, let's just say, and I like to carry those on as a memorial to her. So of course I take potshots at northern Italian cooking vs southern Italian when I can.
    We used to be.
    We used... to be... good at... *crying in old italian*

(OOT: forum lacks a crying icon. Too lazy to search for a crying gif)
    My parents lived in Italy for a year shortly before I was born. I remember my dad used to talk about how you didn't go for a walk during the World Cup because of the danger of being hit by a TV being tossed out the window after a loss.

What I'm saying is, look at the bright side: TVs are much more lightweight now!
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-08-09 at 07:17 AM.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

What I'm saying is, look at the bright side: TVs are much more lightweight now!
    So, an even bigger exclusion zone around houses? Because people can throw their TVs further?
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman