New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1269 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by alceryes View Post
    Both are inconsistent with a wisdom score of 22+.
    It's in the realm of Sense Motive, which is a Wisdom-based skill that I can completely believe Durkon has never put a single point into. +6 and bad rolls are enough to justify how often he misses others' social cues.
    Last edited by Emmit Svenson; 2022-10-26 at 01:01 PM.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Emmit Svenson View Post
    It's in the realm of Sense Motive, which is a Wisdom-based skill that I can completely believe Durkon has never put a single point into. +6 and bad rolls are enough to justify how often he misses others' social cues.
    The thread has moved on. We're now discussing the Librarianship of Second Age Archivists.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    That'd explain why it took Gandalf 17 years of research if Numenorians wrote everything down on long-life magical paper. All those receipts for bad copper...
    Ah yes, Eä-Narsil.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    In comparison, Galadriel is handed a scroll by an archivist in Numenor a few hours after she gives him a request; he was the curator of a huge archive filled with scrolls. (Scene from Rings of Power).
    Sir. SIR.

(I sorta kinda liked the series but still)
    ungelic is us

4. - Top - End - #244
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

The Librarian's last day:

"Sir? A Mr.Isildur has an overdue copy of The Care And Feeding Of White Trees. Shall I impose late fees on his account?"

"Let's give him a few days."

"But, Sir, if we don't maintain strict return policies..."

"What's the worst that can happen? The island won't sink beneath the waves over an overdue library book."

*rumblerumblerumbleRUMBLE!*

5. - Top - End - #245
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm thinking that Tolkien would actually have a pretty good idea how long it takes to find references to something in a thousand year old scroll, being as that his profession involved thousand year old texts.
    The thing is the Azurites don't use a single color; they use a single hue. The use light blue, dark blue, black, white, glossy blue, off-white with a bluish tint. They sky's the limit, as long as it's blue.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quizatzhaderac View Post
    I'm thinking that Tolkien would actually have a pretty good idea how long it takes to find references to something in a thousand year old scroll, being as that his profession involved thousand year old texts.
    He was also, as a pipe smoker, very familiar with the blowing of smoke rings.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

7. - Top - End - #247
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    Isildur was a Numenorian. They were famous for their casual use of magic items and their knowledge of how their world works. He wasn't jotting down notes on mass-produced loose leaf college ruled paper.

My headcanon is that he, casually and without thinking too much about it, used magically treated parchment and ink. That's just the way they did things, back then.

Numenorians didn't cast spells, but they learned their writing system, including how to manufacture their tools, from the elves. Most of the elves who survived the battle with Sauron were still alive, and they would have wanted their notebooks to remain readable at least until they sailed into the West.
    I'm thinking perhaps a race with lifespans of 1,000-3,000 years might have a significant stabilising effect on linguistic drift. On the other hand they are few in number compared to humans, and might not want to be prescriptivists.

Also I just realized they have their own language, and barely a handful actually bothered to learn the languages of men through the ages. Still, I don't think we can make comparisons with our reality, it's clear Middle Earth had far superior preservation (magically enhanced or otherwise). Perhaps it's just something we shouldn't look at too closely.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dave_smith354 View Post
    I'm thinking perhaps a race with lifespans of 1,000-3,000 years might have a significant stabilising effect on linguistic drift.
    300-500 years. Elros died in about 450 SA. Nobody else was as long lived as he. His reign lasted 410 years.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2022-10-28 at 06:22 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

9. - Top - End - #249

300-500 years. Elros died in about 450 SA. Nobody else was as long lived as he. His reign lasted 410 years.
    Long live the king ;-)

10. - Top - End - #250
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

And elves don't die at all unless they are killed. Galadriel lived at least from before the crossing of the ice until the defeat of Sauron. My guess is 5000 years, and still kicking. Legolas' father probably remembered the first stars being set in the sky.

11. - Top - End - #251

And elves don't die at all unless they are killed. Galadriel lived at least from before the crossing of the ice until the defeat of Sauron. My guess is 5000 years, and still kicking. Legolas' father probably remembered the first stars being set in the sky.
    According to the big LotR wiki, Galadriel lived for 138 years in the Years of the Trees, then through the 590 years, 3441 years, and 3021 years of the First, Second, and Third ages respectively.

"Call these stars? They're nothing like the stars we had when I was a lad..."
    Last edited by bunsen_h; 2022-10-29 at 12:15 AM.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

I thought people died when they're killed? :D
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

13. - Top - End - #253

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    I thought people died when they're killed? :D
    Yes, but Tolkien's Elves don't die of "natural causes". Which category doesn't include venoms, gravity, vicious animals, etc.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

Legolas' father probably remembered the first stars being set in the sky.
    Nah, Thranduil's at least a second generation Elf since we know he had a father, one Oropher. The first Elves woke up when Varda placed the very last stars in the sky.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    Yes, but Tolkien's Elves don't die of "natural causes". Which category doesn't include venoms, gravity, vicious animals, etc.
    *grumblegrumblethatwasareferencegrumble*

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

16. - Top - End - #256

*grumblegrumblethatwasareferencegrumble*
    If you mean the "People die when are killed" meme, other than being old, it is a memetic mutation of a more plain phrase. It's popularity is largely based on cropping out the context.
    Running naked in the playground!

[email protected]

17. - Top - End - #257
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

I should perhaps have made it clearer that I was referring to elves, not Numenoreans. It's been a while since I read the appendices.

18. - Top - End - #258

Quote Originally Posted by Laurentio III View Post
    If you mean the "People die when are killed" meme, other than being old, it is a memetic mutation of a more plain phrase. It's popularity is largely based on cropping out the context.
    My understanding is that "People die if they are killed" grew out of an awkward translation of Fate: Stay Night, and its initial* popularity grew from amusingly encapsulating a tendency for shounen protagonists to have more passion than common sense. https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/peopl...hey-are-killed

* - I just don't want to cause a Dragon*Con incident. (I recently saw a bunch of younger people get mad at someone who contradicted their knowledge that it's always been primarily a sci-fi convention.)
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    Founding (and so far, only) member of the Greyview Appreciation Society
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

It's more or less both.

In Japanese phrases like that are relatively common, while sounding strange to English speakers (see also a common phrase in shonen anime: "He wouldn't die, even if you killed him.") A better translation that involved context would have been "People should die when they are killed", but even with the translation they actually used it's understandable what was meant if you, well, take it in context.

20. - Top - End - #260

Quote Originally Posted by Tzardok View Post
    It's more or less both.

In Japanese phrases like that are relatively common, while sounding strange to English speakers (see also a common phrase in shonen anime: "He wouldn't die, even if you killed him.") A better translation that involved context would have been "People should die when they are killed", but even with the translation they actually used it's understandable what was meant if you, well, take it in context.
    Individual mileage may vary. (^_^)

When I watched FSN, Shirou came across as one of the best/worst examples in existence of a protagonist with more passion than common sense. One scene (before he started leveling up in any way) left a vivid impression of "You're a girl, so even though you're a heroic spirit (bordering on demigod) who can take far more punishment than my frail mortal body, I'll jump between you and another heroic spirit to protect you!" (o_0)
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arimareiji View Post
    Individual mileage may vary. (^_^)

When I watched FSN, Shirou came across as one of the best/worst examples in existence of a protagonist with more passion than common sense. One scene (before he started leveling up in any way) left a vivid impression of "You're a girl, so even though you're a heroic spirit (bordering on demigod) who can take far more punishment than my frail mortal body, I'll jump between you and another heroic spirit to protect you!" (o_0)
    Spoiler: Same vibe, but inverted
    Show
    Forum Wisdom

22. - Top - End - #262

Flumph

(Why didn't Minrah get stuck?)
    She's more sensitive and fast.

23. - Top - End - #263

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Spoiler: Same vibe, but inverted
    Show
    Spoiler: Well...
    Show
    Thing is, there are some weapons that would hurt Superman but not Lois -- kryptonite-based ray guns, say. And I'm pretty sure that on at least one occasion, Supes' powers were temporarily transferred to Lois.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Thing is, there are some weapons that would hurt Superman but not Lois -- kryptonite-based ray guns, say. And I'm pretty sure that on at least one occasion, Supes' powers were temporarily transferred to Lois.
    Yeah. This isn't Lois and this isn't one of those. That woman died and that thing wouldn't have hurt him.
    Forum Wisdom

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Ignoring that sufficient amounts of anything would be bad for your health, doesn't kryptonite cause cancer in humans with long exposure. Or was that just JLA?

Extended sig here.

26. - Top - End - #266

Ignoring that sufficient amounts of anything would be bad for your health, doesn't kryptonite cause cancer in humans with long exposure. Or was that just JLA?
    Just extrapolating, that sounds like a completely-logical development for an element that emits radiation which can penetrate every substance but lead... but also sounds a great deal like a one-off plot device that was rarely if ever used again. XD

(Googled, and it appears to bear out - this property is mentioned on wikipedia, but there are far more mentions of all the various permutations of kryptonite that have been similarly contrived as plot devices.)

27. - Top - End - #267
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by arimareiji View Post
    Just extrapolating, that sounds like a completely-logical development for an element that emits radiation which can penetrate every substance but lead...
    Speaking of, superman's vision sounds carcinogenic.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    roof dad got laid

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Speaking of, superman's vision sounds carcinogenic.
    Isn't that an SMBC page?
    Forum Wisdom

29. - Top - End - #269
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Isn't that an SMBC page?
    I could be mistaken, but not that I recall. Wienersmith tends to be more depressing with his Superman takes.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    roof dad got laid

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I could be mistaken, but not that I recall. Wienersmith tends to be more depressing with his Superman takes.
    That may not be an SMBC joke, but I definitely remember reading a comic about superman working as a cancerologist who keeps finding tumors wherever he looked at in his patients.
    Forum Wisdom