New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Prestige Classes for COMMONERS! [Peach?]

Insurgent
    Hit Die: d4.

Requirements
    To qualify to become an insurgent, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Saves
    Highest base save bonus must be lower than base attack bonus.

Skills
    Profession (farmer) 5 ranks or Profession (herder) 5 ranks.

Special
    Must have joined a peasant uprising at some point.

Class Skills
    The insurgent’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spot (Wis) and Use Rope (Dex).
    Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier.

Table: The Insurgent
    Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special
    1st +0 +0 +0 +2 Strength in numbers
    2nd +1 +0 +0 +3 Endurance
    3rd +2 +1 +1 +3 Toughness
    4th +3 +1 +1 +4 Dogged defiance

Class Features
    All of the following are class features of the insurgent.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
    Insurgents are proficient with the club, fauchard, torch, sling, straight scythe and pitchfork. Insurgents are proficient with padded and wicker armour, but not with shields.

Strength in Numbers (Ex)
    What they lack in skill and equipment is balanced by the insurgents' numbers and the confidence these grant. As long as an insurgent is adjacent to at least one other insurgent, she gains a +1 morale bonus on attack rolls, initiative checks and saving throws against charm, fear and compulsion effects for each adjacent insurgent. This bonus can never be higher than the number of insurgent levels she possesses.

Endurance
    At level 2, an insurgent gains Endurance as a bonus feat, alongside a growing determination to carry on, no matter what.

Toughness
    Hardened by the struggle, at level 3, an insurgent gains Toughness as a bonus feat.

Dogged Defiance (Ex)
    An insurgent who got this far has seen it all and fought many an uphill, losing battle. A 4th level insurgent can no longer be rendered shaken by any means mundane or magical.

New Weapons:
    Simple Weapons Cost Damage (S) Damage (M) Critical Range Increment Weight Type
    One-Handed Melee Weapon
    Pitchfork 1 gp 1d6 1d8 ×2 4 lb. Piercing
    Two-Handed Melee Weapon
    Scythe, straight 4 gp 1d6 1d8 ×2 8 lb. Piercing or slashing

Yes, I gave 'em Toughness. They're Commoners, damn it, they deserve the worst feats! Anyway, stay tuned if you will. More might come.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2023-11-11 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Decreased BAB, boosted SiN, as proposed.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Prestige Classes for COMMONERS! [Peach?]

If you’re in a group that rules you lose PrC features if you cease to meet the prerequisites, this class could be problematic. A Commoner 2 can qualify for Insurgent, but a Commoner 2 / Insurgent 1 no longer has a highest base save lower than their attack bonus.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    If you’re in a group that rules you lose PrC features if you cease to meet the prerequisites, this class could be problematic. A Commoner 2 can qualify for Insurgent, but a Commoner 2 / Insurgent 1 no longer has a highest base save lower than their attack bonus.
    Hrm. Yeah. The old Dragon Disciple issue. That's… There. I tried to take the Survivor's thing and make it really Commoner-exclusive, but I can see how that could precipitate much RAW-lawyering. Do you think I should just
    1. take the one good save away;
    2. assume people are reasonable and leave it as is; or
    3. change the requirement to match Survivor's and hope the d4 HD,Toughness and "you're a peasant with a pitchfork" makes it clear enough this is for lousy Commoners?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Hrm. Yeah. The old Dragon Disciple issue. That's… There. I tried to take the Survivor's thing and make it really Commoner-exclusive, but I can see how that could precipitate much RAW-lawyering. Do you think I should just
    1. take the one good save away;
    2. assume people are reasonable and leave it as is; or
    3. change the requirement to match Survivor's and hope the d4 HD,Toughness and "you're a peasant with a pitchfork" makes it clear enough this is for lousy Commoners?
    This is a known issue, as you point out with Dragon Disciple, so I would say it's fine to leave it as it is. I'm probably biased though, because it's just a clever little bit of wording that I appreciate...

5. - Top - End - #5

Wonderful, thank you! Further expert opinions continue to be welcome, of course, but I'm a firm believer in the best kind of work being the one I don't have to actually do.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I think they're still commoners, and aren't really trained in combat, relying instead on the adrenaline from being part of something greater. I'd make the BAB 1/2 an insurgent's level (or at most 3/4), but instead increase the Strength in Numbers bonus from 1 to 1/level (up to the number of adjacent commoners, so a 3rd level insurgent surrounded by 3 commoners would get +3, but only +2 if there's only two.)
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Beni-Kujaku View Post
    I think they're still commoners, and aren't really trained in combat, relying instead on the adrenaline from being part of something greater.
    Well, that is my exact rationale behind their only good save being Will.

I'd make the BAB 1/2 an insurgent's level (or at most 3/4)
    But then, at this point they are supposed to have done some fighting. 3/4 sounds like a good golden mean sort of point (and I do have this idea for a Peasant Hero continuation class, that could get the full BAB instead). I'll probably do that.

, but instead increase the Strength in Numbers bonus from 1 to 1/level (up to the number of adjacent commoners, so a 3rd level insurgent surrounded by 3 commoners would get +3, but only +2 if there's only two.)
    Hey, that sounds neat! A bit clunky, though, perhaps? Would some blander form of scaling such as +1/two levels (but the +2 requiring more than one adjacent Insurgent) do the job?
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2023-07-28 at 11:35 AM.