New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Ionathus's Random Banter #249 -- Directionless Rambling Is Now Mandatory

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    To quote Belkar 'eh, the bear's probably fine'.
    It was actually a quote from Durkon while in the afterlife.

Also, I echo Zodi's appreciation: those posters are cool. (...something something, as per my signature I've got to end my sentence with a word with an odd number of letters).
    On a fateful evening, I foolishly sworn myself to follow Xykon's updated speech rule ...thing. The twelve gods know that I regretted my decision ...since then ...multiple times.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Ionathus's Random Banter #249 -- Directionless Rambling Is Now Mandatory

Quote Originally Posted by Coppercloud View Post
    It was actually a quote from Durkon while in the afterlife.

Also, I echo Zodi's appreciation: those posters are cool. (...something something, as per my signature I've got to end my sentence with a word with an odd number of letters).
    Could always go out on "Carthago delenda est".
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

3. - Top - End - #273
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Yeah, but Carthage has already been destroyed, so you'd have to substitute another city for it.

4. - Top - End - #274

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    Yeah, but Carthage has already been destroyed, so you'd have to substitute another city for it.
    Well, you're Dutch, so you're a bit spoiled for choice.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Orc in the Playground

Thank you! From now on, when I can't find a good reformulation in Xykonspeech, I might just do that. ...very thing.
    On a fateful evening, I foolishly sworn myself to follow Xykon's updated speech rule ...thing. The twelve gods know that I regretted my decision ...since then ...multiple times.

6. - Top - End - #276

Quote Originally Posted by Coppercloud View Post
    Thank you! From now on, when I can't find a good reformulation in Xykonspeech, I might just do that. ...very thing.
    I'm not sure about French, but it even works in English, and Carthage must be destroyed.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2024-05-16 at 02:09 PM.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I don't believe in perfection. No one is perfect, not even me.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Not even I!
    Last edited by halfeye; 2024-05-17 at 09:01 AM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

Blasphemy! Clearly Abigail Thorn has no faults!

For everynody else though you're spot on. Even Peelee seems to have the issue of liking Star Wars more than Star Trek.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Colossus in the Playground

Give me some time: I'll make you believe.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Blasphemy! Clearly Abigail Thorn has no faults!
    I feel that on film Munroe definitely exceeded Bo Derek.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Orc in the Playground

I'm not sure about French, but it even works in English, and Carthage must be destroyed.
    It doesn't work in French ("Carthage doit être détruite") but... Did you get the impression that I abided to this language rule outside of this very forum? I certainly have issues, but this is not among those.

Actually the reasoning behind my self-imposed restriction is similar to the Quinton's explanation. It forces me to consider my words before writing, and to keep quiet when I wouldn't have anything of value to add to the conversation - if my post isn't worth the hassle of finding a rephrasing, it probably isn't worth reading in the first place. Plus it forces me to look up synonyms and such, which is good since I'm much more used to reading English.

Also it was an impulsive idea I had while in sleep debt almost two years ago.

13. - Top - End - #283

Nonsense, for I am perfect! Feast your eyes on my divine form! Bask in my sublime radiance! Be in awe of my grand magnificence! And I'm so very modest too!

For everynody else though you're spot on. Even Peelee seems to have the issue of liking Star Wars more than Star Trek.
    ... y'all don't give Babylon 5 enough love.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    ... y'all don't give Babylon 5 enough love.
    Just take the Farscape approach and assume that's because it's too good for them anyway

15. - Top - End - #285

I alluded to this elsewhere but I'm bored so I'm going to tell you the story of how I was made an accessory to kidnapping a dog.

A friend of my mom's lived in one of the more run-down corners of our suburban sprawl of houses (this is not an admonishment, even the fanciest houses in this suburbs were shipped up on trailer-trucks) and as a result, was forced to interact with her neighbors frequently. One pair of neighbors had a dog, Tucker, a little ****zu baby that they clearly just did not care for. She cared, in the way most people would, about the poor animal... and then learned said neighbors were leaving town, and just gonna let the dog stay in their now abandoned house.

Said friend of my mom's then did the most natural and normal thing ever; during one instance of the two leaving to go get some stuff, she hopped the fence, scooped up the dog, hopped back over, and drove all the way to the bar my mom owned at the time, and was like "Aya's Mom, Aya's Mom, I have stolen this dog but cannot take care of it myself."

My Mom, who hates animals of all sorts and despises her partner's ****zu Gizmo, who at this point was getting on in years, was like "oh sure I love dogs" and took him in. And so he was ours for the rest of his life, which was the normal amount for a well loved dog. Being around the old man helped him recover from his abuses, and he was a very loving and kind dog.

I bring up this final fact about the normal happy life Tucker had because Gizmo would die a few years later, but since he was a grouchy old man and very anti-social no one actually TOLD him that, so instead he lived for ten or so more years despite being about 12 when Tucker arrived. Tucker was not taught the secrets to necromancy and thus did not live an abnormally long life.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I support A.I. and I stand by what I said. Sorry, not sorry.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Troll in the Playground

Generative AI is built off the theft of peoples' work - whether that's written, visual, or audio - and is being used to attempt to push those same creators out of their own spaces.

You can support it, sure, but if you do, you're effectively saying "I don't believe writers/artists/voice actors deserve to be compensated fairly - or at all - for their work."
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Generative AI is built off the theft of peoples' work - whether that's written, visual, or audio - and is being used to attempt to push those same creators out of their own spaces.

You can support it, sure, but if you do, you're effectively saying "I don't believe writers/artists/voice actors deserve to be compensated fairly - or at all - for their work."
    I understand people have their opinion about A.I. but this is 2024. Times have changed and so is technology and I have nothing against human writers/artist/voice actors and etc. Everyone have a voice to do their work and I strongly support technology by way including A.I.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2024-05-18 at 01:02 AM.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post

Bartmanhomer has long had a habit of spontaneously expressing opinions that somehow seem (treading as lightly as I am able, here) to both arbitrarily add unneeded compromise and resist any at all.

This isn't new. One time he just said "I believe in the lie-detector test."
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

20. - Top - End - #290

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Bartmanhomer has long had a habit of spontaneously expressing opinions that somehow seem (treading as lightly as I am able, here) to both arbitrarily add unneeded compromise and resist any at all.

With respect if I didn't like, fundamentally know he is a true, real, existent person who I have physically seen pictures of due to looking at the thumbnails of his videos, my instinct that he's actually a highly advanced markov bot would completely override every single solitary interaction I've ever seen of him. I know SOME people set those up on forums as testing, so it wouldn't be impossible.

He's not of course, he's a real flesh and blood human who exists and is real. Sometimes he just says random things and whatever the purpose of said things is to be determined on a later date.

Anyway **** art thieves and the idiots who use machine learning to amplify their theft. All my homies hate art thieves.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2024-05-18 at 01:40 AM.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post

That opinion has changed about the lie detector test though.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ettin in the Playground

That opinion has changed about the lie detector test though.
    Good to hear. Hopefully we'll be able to convince you to change this one too.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    With respect if I didn't like, fundamentally know he is a true, real, existent person who I have physically seen pictures of due to looking at the thumbnails of his videos, my instinct that he's actually a highly advanced markov bot would completely override every single solitary interaction I've ever seen of him. I know SOME people set those up on forums as testing, so it wouldn't be impossible.

He's not of course, he's a real flesh and blood human who exists and is real. Sometimes he just says random things and whatever the purpose of said things is to be determined on a later date.

Anyway **** art thieves and the idiots who use machine learning to amplify their theft. All my homies hate art thieves.
    I'mma be honest, I thought he was a bot who had fooled everyone for the longest time and if you hadn't confirmed that he was a flesh and blood human I would've still suspected it, but I guess he's real?

However, I am one of Zodi's homies and I do hate art thieves, so this is definitely a true statement I can confirm.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

24. - Top - End - #294
    Firbolg in the Playground

I support AI as well. And no, I don't care if it jepordizes people's livelihoods. Every great invention in the history of mankind, and even major refinements of existing technologies, has either made some profession obsolete or else driven it into a limited niche market.

We no longer have or need the iceman or the lamplighter or the coachman or the elevator operator or the cornjerker or the village blacksmith or the guy who makes tools out of animal bones, and we're better off for it.

And as for intellectual property, intellectual property is just as much of a deplorable scam as any other form of artificial scarcity.

EDIT:
    That said, I don't think AI even really threatens the art and writing industries. It will likely do no more than bring us back to the state of the industry as it existed in the 20th century and earlier before the combination of online monetization and the spirit of Mammon rising up from the third circle of Hell enabled any random Tom, ****, or Harriet to slap together a bunch of shovelware and expect to make a profit

EDIT:
    Arrrgh! Lousy S****horpe problem!
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2024-05-18 at 04:11 AM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

25. - Top - End - #295

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    I support AI as well. And no, I don't care if it jepordizes people's livelihoods. Every great invention in the history of mankind, and even major refinements of existing technologies, has either made some profession obsolete or else driven it into a limited niche market.

We no longer have or need the iceman or the lamplighter or the coachman or the elevator operator or the cornjerker or the village blacksmith or the guy who makes tools out of animal bones, and we're better off for it.

And as for intellectual property, intellectual property is just as much of a deplorable scam as any other form of artificial scarcity.
    Easy for you to say if it's not your livelihood that's threatened by it, but excuse me if some of us are less than enthusiastic about being made obsolete and forced into poverty for the sake of corporate greed. And with artists' own work being used to do so even! It's not so simple as AI = bad/good. It's that this is just another cycle of corporate executives maximizing profit at the expense of both workers, who will be left with less pay or without employment, and consumers, who now likely have to make do with a lesser version of a product.

A.I. tools used by artists to enable them to do their work is fine. Generative A.I. fed by artists' work to churn out large quantities of uninspired and regurgitated pieces of 'art' is a different matter.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

The issue to me is more the drawbacks outweigh the positives. AI technology as it currently stands has a few interesting ethical applications...all of which have already been in use for years.

Anything the "art" provides is niche enough for me not to care. Sure, AI voice memes are funny and art generators are useful for making character tokens for RPGs...but that's about it. In terms of entertainment it's a novelty I can live without.

The societal impacts of how AI impersonations are accelerating the already critical levels of misinformation we're constantly inundated with aren't worth a couple of chuckles every now and then. AI sucks for any practical purpose at the moment, but every industry is already trying to force it into the role to save money. People are losing their jobs and livelihoods to tools that don't even work right and while I'm fine holding out until a year or so from now when these dumbass companies are in shambles and I have to come in and fix their documentation just like I did a few years back after they tried outsourcing the work to the lowest bidders in Nigeria and India, it doesn't help in the here and now, and not everybody is in as good of a position as I am. And mine's precarious at the moment as it is.

Every conversation I've had with you on the subject Bohandas has always started with an "I don't care about XYZ" remark from you which makes me wonder why I should give a fat flying **** about your own opinion on the subject. If you've got no dog in this race your opinion on the subject is easily the least relevant.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2024-05-18 at 04:29 AM.

27. - Top - End - #297

Also, the art and writing sites, as well as the internet in general, were better before they were invaded by professionals. I liked things better when it was just communities of people looking to share their projects and creativity.

But somewhere in the past decade or so it seems like everybody developed the mentality of a villain:

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    The societal impacts of how AI impersonations are accelerating the already critical levels of misinformation we're constantly inundated with aren't worth a couple of chuckles every now and then. AI sucks for any practical purpose at the moment, but every industry is already trying to force it into the role to save money. People are losing their jobs and livelihoods to tools that don't even work right and while I'm fine holding out until a year or so from now when these dumbass companies are in shambles and I have to come in and fix their documentation just like I did a few years back after they tried outsourcing the work to the lowest bidders in Nigeria and India, it doesn't help in the here and now, and not everybody is in as good of a position as I am. And mine's precarious at the moment as it is.
    I wholeheartedly agree with you that It shouldn't be used for information. I was talking in an art and writing context.

AI as it exists now and for the forseeable near future is highly prone to extreme flights of fancy which make it terrible at any thing factual but quite functional at fiction
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2024-05-18 at 04:43 AM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

So why is it that you think you're entitled to the sweat of somebody's brow without compensating them for it? Free art is a gift, not an expectation.

If we're quoting random things out of context: [Artists are] not your bitch.

29. - Top - End - #299

And that's why a machine had been built for it. So that it can be produced without human effort.

I wish that we had Star Trek style replicators. Then we could produce everything without the the sweat of someone's brow. (edit: especially food. I want to live to see the day when agriculture becomes obsolete. I probably won't, but one can dream) (Edit: With recent advances in fusion research and increasing adoption of electric cars maybe I can at least live to see fire become obsolete)
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2024-05-18 at 04:53 AM.

Omegaupdate Forum

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

the only good use for AI generated art stuff I've seen is helping Dougdoug make funny videos. and he is a streamer/youtuber whose entire tagline is "we solve problems nobody has", is incredibly niche and a bit of an anomaly in terms of how streaming and content creators work. half the humor comes from how insane his chat is anyways, AI is just this third element that adds a different kind of insanity to the mix but honestly isn't vital for what he does, since he's a programmer and can just make a new silly bit of code for whatever project he has in mind next and his chat will patiently wait for him to get it working for hours on stream.

so.....yeah not seeing how all this AI nonsense is improving anything else.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2024-05-18 at 04:49 AM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".