New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Backporting/Sideporting Rules - what do you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Pugwampy View Post
    I converted some 4e dragonborn into 3rd edition stats . I dont recall anything too troubling
    How did you do that? I've been debating adding them into Pathfinder (1e), though I'm on the fence on whether I want to do a straight port of them from 5e/4e or come up with something more variable, like Aasimar and Tieflings as of Blood of Angels/Fiends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

I've been toying with implimenting something close to Legendary Actions into PF2e. I don't think Legendary Resistance can work in PF2e's framework; no-selling a save is a bit too much when you'd naturally use them when you crit-fail, which is when spells and effects are actually super impactful.

Regardless of Resistance, Legendary Actions in PF2e would be something like a suite of Reactions, with the same minimum requirement "Must be at the end of an enemy's turn" and then so many Reactions dedicated to just that suite of Reactions. These reactions would have their numbers toned down, so they are not back breaking. Unsure, yet, at what relative number they should be though.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    The use of the word mindless was intentional.

You also appear to have completely missed the point.
    Points, lacking any size, tend to have a really high AC.

Mine was that, even for "mindful" creatures, "morale" doesn't always fail, and running away has some specific triggers for gamers that other implementations of "failed morale" / "realization of inevitability of defeat" don't, so even if other creatures "fail morale", Players will tend to overthink "why is this monster fleeing?" whenever they encounter that specific behavior.

Now, sure, whether I'm using 2e rules or my own eyeballing it, I don't produce results anywhere near the apparent norm of "battles / wars historically often end after one side suffers 10% casualties" or whatever. so my fantasy denizens are "unrealistically" brave; then again, whether because they enjoy playing out a winning scenario or just don't think of it, most murderhobos IME don't offer their foes the opportunity to surrender. Shrug. Too many different concerns for me to fully analyze exactly what causes all the behaviors, but "they're running away -> the GM may want them to sound an alarm -> we MUST kill them ALL" doesn't look that different from "they're worth XP -> we MUST kill them ALL" in practice; either produces some odd targeting priorities.
    Last edited by Quertus; 2024-05-18 at 09:06 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    How did you do that? I've been debating adding them into Pathfinder (1e), though I'm on the fence on whether I want to do a straight port of them from 5e/4e or come up with something more variable, like Aasimar and Tieflings as of Blood of Angels/Fiends.
    That reminds me, when they shut down DDi I was in the midst of a 4e campaign. Since we relied on the CB for character creation/advancement and did not have all the books to do it by hand, continuing would have been very difficult. So we ported the campaign back to PF1 and continued that way.

To that end, I created enough PF1 homebrew to recreate all but one of the previous characters with reasonable fidelity. Specifically:
    • The Warden became a Ranger with a custom Archetype
    • The Artificer became and Artificer with a custom Archetype
    • The Psion became a Psychic with a custom Archetype (mainly to represent their dream-themed Paragon Path)
    • The Rogue became a Slayer/Swashbuckler, but I had to port back his Fey Beast Tamer theme so his pet did not disappear.
    • The Warlord became a custom class I named "Captain".
    • I also backported the 4e-style ritual system and a bunch of rituals, since both the Artificer and Psion were Ritual casters and used them extensively.

There was also a Dragonborn Paladin (Blackguard), but that player decided to make a new character - just as well as it turned out, because I just had time to sort the other five in the Christmas break.

The stuff I created worked for the immediate purpose, but I am no longer happy with it - I do not think it stands up for general use.
    (He/him or they/them)

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    First i would like to remind you there is 3rd edition dragonborn rules .

Here is my homebrew 2009 I assume anything i did not understand i skipped on .

Dragonborn

+2 str + 2 cha speed 30 ft medium

Skills knowledge history +2
    Inimidate + 2

Dragon born fury . +1 attack when bloodied . I assume bloodied is damaged
    Draconic heritage Heal 1/4 max hp + con modifier . I assume once per day ?

Dragon Breath lvl 1 1d6 plus con modifier . enemy needs to make a ref save DC 10 + 2 + your highest Con or Str or Dex modifier , depending on your min max stats of your class .

dragon breath damage and DC increases at lvl 11 2d6 + con DC 10 +4 + mod

and lvl 21 3d6 +con DC 10 + 6 + mod
    Last edited by Pugwampy; 2024-05-19 at 07:56 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

First i would like to remind you there is 3rd edition dragonborn rules .

Here is my homebrew 2009 I assume anything i did not understand i skipped on .

Dragonborn

+2 str + 2 cha speed 30 ft medium

Skills knowledge history +2
    Inimidate + 2

Dragon born fury . +1 attack when bloodied . I assume bloodied is damaged
    Draconic heritage Heal 1/4 max hp + con modifier . I assume once per day ?

Dragon Breath lvl 1 1d6 plus con modifier . enemy needs to make a ref save DC 10 + 2 + your highest Con or Str or Dex modifier , depending on your min max stats of your class .

dragon breath damage and DC increases at lvl 11 2d6 + con DC 10 +4 + mod

and lvl 21 3d6 +con DC 10 + 6 + mod
    Be a silverblood human and take dragon tail and dragon wings at first level, at third take any feat and then undergo the rite losing your 3rd level feat. If you take heart you've now got a dragon breath, wings, and tail. At 6th level you can take a feat for true flight or turn your tail into a third arm. Just an interesting character concept.

The 3.5 rules is you get +2 con and -2 dex, immunity to frightful presence, dragonblood subtype, and +2 AC vs dragons and creatures of the dragonbloood subtype. On top of that you get to chose between a breath weapon, wings, or better vision and immunities. I don't know what the 4e benefits are, but 3e ones are pretty good already.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

First i would like to remind you there is 3rd edition dragonborn rules
    They did have something called "dragonborn" but it was not really the same thing as 4e dragonborn.
    (He/him or they/them)

8. - Top - End - #38
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by glass View Post
    They did have something called "dragonborn" but it was not really the same thing as 4e dragonborn.
    Not the same yes but close enough .