New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Default Whats the coolest thing your DM did in your campaign ?

This is what my favorite DM did that shot me to cloud 9 . He created a helms deep siege type of combat scenario .

We only played a minor part , techinically he kinda played out the whole scene all by himself . We were behind battlements. 1 npc cleric level 9 . The enemy was literally 300 lvl 1 Barbarians and 5 wizards .

Basically the cleric caste blade barrier and DM fed all the barbarians into it but slowly i think like 10 or 20 barbarians per round ran into it and were minced .
    we all rolled initiative and had our turns but we made little difference in this fight . Mainly it was DM clerics vs th enemy .
    He used a felt tip pen on a business board for his walls and as much tokens as he had .

My mind was absolutely blown . He became my DM god and i was totally hooked on DND .

I myself inspired created my own siege defend games . I created 5 or 6 mini battlements in my lifetime . I use only 25 or 30 miniatures with ladders and a batering ram and the players get a free ballistae 3d8 damage which one of the players takes control . castle walls is just plus 1 attack for high ground and plus 4 AC for cover.
    Its an amazing experience but its about 20 plus round marathon encounter.

DND is infinite you can do anything . The downside is some classes fare better than others . Dungeons are equalizers of all classes .

These are some of my set ups i did in the past . My DM inspired me .

Heroes attack Orc Fort

Heroes attack Gob Fort .
    Last edited by Pugwampy; 2024-05-22 at 06:38 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: Whats the coolest thing your DM did in your campaign ?

The DM that is the coolest is one that doesn't confuse his name for Richard, and remembers the real-life DM and real-life players are on the same team.

3. - Top - End - #3

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by RNightstalker View Post
    The DM that is the coolest is one that doesn't confuse his name for Richard, and remembers the real-life DM and real-life players are on the same team.

Not what i asked bro . I dont care who is the best in the world.

What was the most epic thing YOUR DM ever did for you as a player ?
    Last edited by Pugwampy; 2024-05-22 at 11:53 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pugwampy View Post
    Not what i asked bro . I dont care who is the best in the world.

What was the most epic thing YOUR DM ever did for you as a player ?
    Might not be the answer you wanted, but I've played under some pretty bad, mainly insecure, DM's in my time and it's epic to me...waiting more than a decade to finish some character arcs.

5. - Top - End - #5

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by RNightstalker View Post
    Might not be the answer you wanted, but I've played under some pretty bad, mainly insecure, DM's in my time and it's epic to me...waiting more than a decade to finish some character arcs.
    Umm you waiting for a bad DM to finish his game with you ?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Ran an encounter where the PCs were front and center and their actions were what actually mattered, instead of showing off his ability to make anything happen in this narrative where he can make anything happen. That was pretty cool.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Join the new Junkyard Wars round and build with Cloaked Dancer and a companion creature!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

For the 8 kinds of Fun, Sensory is one that can hit or miss with me. But I do really enjoy the kind of war game setup you describe, and I’m actually kinda sad that, while some of my GM’s definitely have the minis and sweet set pieces to make things like what you described and showed, I don’t really remember them doing much with them in RPGs. In War games, yeah, but somehow it didn’t really make the transition into the media where IMO it’d be much cooler.

8. - Top - End - #8

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pugwampy View Post
    Umm you waiting for a bad DM to finish his game with you ?
    Bad DM's were both hims and hers, but it was more like stepping away hoping another chance came around, and it did

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Going way back to before I was the regular DM, after some shenanigans, one of our players had a Warforged Barbarian character who was killed, and semi-accidentally brought back reincarnated as a Dwarf.

Player: So, does he come back exactly as he was?
    DM: Yeah, why do you ask?
    Player: Because he doesn't usually wear pants.
    Everybody: [groans]
    DM: He comes back wearing purple pants. The gods are merciful.

One of the most epic laughs we ever had.

10. - Top - End - #10

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Quertus View Post
    For the 8 kinds of Fun, Sensory is one that can hit or miss with me. But I do really enjoy the kind of war game setup you describe, and I’m actually kinda sad that, while some of my GM’s definitely have the minis and sweet set pieces to make things like what you described and showed, I don’t really remember them doing much with them in RPGs. In War games, yeah, but somehow it didn’t really make the transition into the media where IMO it’d be much cooler.
    I can relate to that. Sat in with a group of players , the DM had 300 minis on a shelf behind him , crate of map tiles and little building made of cardboard all within arms reach.
    After taking their Money ....because he was a self style professional DM . He ran a decent story but his encounter monsters and the heroes were ....dice on an empty table .

One of the most epic laughs we ever had.
    A good in session joke lasts forever .

Ran an encounter where the PCs were front and center and their actions were what actually mattered, instead of showing off his ability to make anything happen in this narrative where he can make anything happen. That was pretty cool.
    Were you a player or DM ? Well thats a shame , stuck only doing dungeons . Everybody does that .
    I never regret having new experiences like kill things in a forest where if i was not on watch i would have to fight without my medium armour or that siege . Yes i did little in that scenario but that was no less amazing for me .
    Last edited by Pugwampy; 2024-05-27 at 08:54 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

While most of epic fight I remember and enjoyed happened to me behind DM screen.

On a player side. I think the best thing a DM did was roll with the punches. One time we fought a tarrasque two rolled poorly in initiative and got blown up before taking a turn, with afew resourcess burned, but still, One turn K.O. He immdatlly summoned 3 more. In the same camping we deliver maga-nuke to a gathering evil gods and finished it off by driving unbreakable drill at the speed of teleport stright into the walls of our crystal sphere