New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: New LotR movie incoming - 2026

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    Anything you do with the blue wizards, Harad, etc is going to hit the Rings of Power problem but even worse; there's simply no source material to pull from. For the blue wizards I think there's almost literally zero, they exist, they went east, they did some unspecified but not successful stuff. IIRC that's all there is to go on.
    But one of the problems with the current projects is their clash with established lore! Or being too restricted if they actually try to honor the established events and characters. If there is no lore, you can make up what you want. There are several hooks already, and contrary to popular belief, Hollywood writers are not contractually obligated to tell bad stories. That only happens so frequently because the stories are either made by a committee of managers; or because the producers really do skimp on writing talent, trusting in brand appeal and special effects, instead.

I am sure people would like to head a good(!) story about a wizard trying to resist an evil overlord. You can let them fail outright in the end, or have some small victory. The Wainriders and other Easterlings offer potential for a culturally interesting setting. And you can have a story about the Entwives for a fantastical element.
    Last edited by Seppl; 2024-05-22 at 03:04 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    LotR movies I would rather watch:

• Gandalf: The Lost Years
    • Aragorn: The Later Years
    • Merry & Pippin Go To The Pub Four Times in One Day
    • Tom Bombadil - The Musical!
    • The Two Towers Again But Everyone Is Played By Sir Patrick Stewart
    • Farmer Maggot: The Early Years
    • How Legolas's Father's Mother's Sister's Cousin's Former Roommate Did Something Important, Probably, I Bet It's All There In Appendix Q-A5C
    • Two and a Half Hours of Sam Gardening
    • Faramir: The Early Years
    • The Entire Courtship of Sam and Rosie Cotton
    • The Last Ten Minutes of the Lives of Fifteen Random Victims of Shelob (Horror)
    • The Last Ten Minutes of the Lives of Fifteen Random Victims of Shelob (Comedy)
    • The Last Ten Minutes of the Lives of Fifteen Random Carrots Grown by Farmer Maggot (Horror/Comedy)

Thanks for the giggle, I laughed the whole way through that list. Especially the last 3.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Looking forward to Orlando shattering his foot again.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Seppl
    I am sure people would like to hea[r] a good(!) story about a wizard trying to resist an evil overlord. You can let them fail outright in the end, or have some small victory…. And you can have a story about the Entwives for a fantastical element.
    Indeed. Just because the Blues failed to stop Sauron doesn’t mean they failed entirely. Stories in far-distant realms can provide opportunities for the Blues to have made meaningful contributions to other peoples and nations, even if they weren’t able to stop Sauron’s broader machinations.

And the Entwives could well be a part of that—perhaps with the Blues helping to create a secret refuge/homeland for them, against the day when Sauron was finally destroyed.

Originally Posted by Buufreak
    Looking forward to Orlando shattering his foot again.
    That was Viggo, unless you’re referencing a joke of some sort.

Although Orlando did break his trusty bow.

Originally Posted by Ionathus
    Two and a Half Hours of Sam Gardening
    We need a Sam Gamgee cooking and gardening show.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

One thing to consider when talking about the Blue Wizards is whether they'd go with what Tolkien initially wrote (ie. that they fell not unlike Saruman, even if in different ways) or what he considered "true" closer to the end of his life (published in the History of Middle-Earth), where they went East to help those willing to rebel against Sauron, and actually had a lot of success in doing that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Letter 211
    I really do not know anything clearly about the other two [wizards] – since they do not concern the history of the N[orth].W[est]. I think they went as emissaries to distant regions, East and South, far out of Númenórean range: missionaries to 'enemy-occupied' lands, as it were. What success they had I do not know; but I fear that they failed, as Saruman did, though doubtless in different ways; and I suspect they were founders or beginners of secret cults and 'magic' traditions that outlasted the fall of Sauron.
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Writings
    Their task was to circumvent Sauron: to bring help to the few tribes of Men that had rebelled from Melkor-worship, to stir up rebellion ... and after his first fall to search out his hiding (in which they failed) and to cause [?dissension and disarray] among the dark East ... They must have had very great influence on the history of the Second Age and Third Age in weakening and disarraying the forces of East ... who would both in the Second Age and Third Age otherwise have ... outnumbered the West.
    These two do paint quite a different picture, even if they share the base idea of going East, deep into enemy territory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    I

That was Viggo, unless you’re referencing a joke of some sort.

Although Orlando did break his trusty bow.
    Was it not Legolas in the post battle scene where he punts a helmet out of frustration? If yes, the take they used in the film, the actor broke his foot after shooting the same scene a few dozen times.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

No, it was Aragorn, the son of Arathorn.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Buufreak View Post
    Was it not Legolas in the post battle scene where he punts a helmet out of frustration? If yes, the take they used in the film, the actor broke his foot after shooting the same scene a few dozen times.
    It was Viggo in the scene where they find the burnt orc bodies. He wanted to kick the helm to emphasize the feelings Aragorn had, didn't realize the helm would be hard enough to hurt his foot :D
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Precure View Post
    No, it was Aragorn, the son of Arathorn.
    Yeah, the biggest injury Orlando Bloom got is a broken rib from falling off a horse or something and the rest of the cast teased him something terrible about how much he complained about the pain.
    "Don't think of it as dying," said Death,
    "Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush."

10. - Top - End - #40
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Meanwhile Sean Bean walked two hours up the mountain every day to avoid having to go in a helicopter.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Indeed. Just because the Blues failed to stop Sauron doesn’t mean they failed entirely. Stories in far-distant realms can provide opportunities for the Blues to have made meaningful contributions to other peoples and nations, even if they weren’t able to stop Sauron’s broader machinations.
    Even a story of complete defeat can be worthwhile, if it inspires others in their struggle. No one remembers Spartacus ? There's one line at the end which still haunts me ...

Spoiler
    Show

Charlton Heston (playing Spartacus) :
    Just by fighting them, we won something. When just one man says "No, I won't," Rome begins to fear. We were tens of thousands who said no. That was the wonder of it.

There's no reason we would have to make the outcome a complete defeat, of course. There can be a bajillion stories about The Resistance even if it never succeeds in overthrowing the Empire.

Of course, what the world really needs is a show where Smeagol acts as wellness and nutrition advisor. He's remarkably fit for his age, and doesn't have a kilogram of fat anywhere on him. Next episode: Goblin sashimi with chef Smeagol!

Tongue-in-cheek,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

"As for the rest, I'd like to take a moment to compliment your dedication to rational discussion. You are a gentleperson and a scholar, and I salute you."
    -- DaedalusMkV

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Fun story on the Viggo helmet kick: my most recent rewatch was with a bunch of superfans and when we got to that moment we had this lovely exchange:

*Aragorn goes to kick the helmet*
    Friend 1: Hey did you guys kn---
    Friend 2: (Simultaneous) We know.
    Me: (Simultaneous) YES.
    Friend 3: (Simultaneous) The foot thing, yeah
    Friend 4: (Simultaneous) WE KNOW.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Meanwhile Sean Bean walked two hours up the mountain every day to avoid having to go in a helicopter.
    Given what happened to Stevie Ray Vaughan, and Rick Morrow, I can't say I blame him.

Also, for pendell:
    Spartacus was played by Kirk Douglas, not Charlton Heston.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2024-05-23 at 01:39 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Given what happened to Stevie Ray Vaughan, and Rick Morrow, I can't say I blame him.

Also, for pendell:
    Spartacus was played by Kirk Douglas, not Charlton Heston.
    Although, I do believe that Heston said "You damned dirty ape...*I* am Spartacus!".

- M
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Holhokki Tapio - GitP Blood Bowl New Era Season I Champion
    Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season V-VI-VII

15. - Top - End - #45
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    Fun story on the Viggo helmet kick: my most recent rewatch was with a bunch of superfans and when we got to that moment we had this lovely exchange:
    Something similar happens with my family when we see the knife being deflected.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

I like Gollum as a character, but I am not sure he needs an entire video game and movie dedicated to him. I would much prefer a show about the life of Aragorn/Stryder before the trilogy, which I guess this movie will be, kind of.
    DMing: