New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Portable River

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Portable River

It might sound incredibly stupid and a lot of people already probably have had the idea before but...

Is there a way to "transport" or be considered in a river at all time?

Obviously, I am trying to find a way to get bonus from Scion of Tem-et-nu without needing to stay close to a river forever.

Acorn of far travel might be a solution to obtain the benefits of

The River's Life Is Mine (Su): At 3rd level and higher, you gain fast healing 5 whenever you begin your turn in or adjacent to a square containing a river.
    But at fifth level you need to be submerged :

Divine Power (Sp): At 5th level, you gain the benefit of divine power, as the spell, once per day. Your caster level is equal to your class level. If you activate this ability while submerged up to your waist (or deeper) in a river, the amount of time you benefit from the ability does not count toward the duration of the effect until you move out of water of this depth. Once the duration begins to count down, however, it does not stop even if you proceed to immerse yourself in waist-deep water. At 10th level, you can use this ability twice per day.
    And you might be interestd in :

Restoring Immersion (Sp): When you attain 7th level, you become able to draw upon the power of Tem-Et-Nu once per day to benefit from a restoration effect if you immerse yourself completely in water for a short time. Restoring negative levels requires that you be immersed for 1 minute per negative level. Curing ability score damage requires 5 rounds per point, and restoring drained ability score points requires 1 minute per point. You can receive more than one benefit during each period of immersion you undergo. For example, you could restore three negative levels and four drained ability points by remaining immersed for 7 consecutive minutes. Your caster level for this ability is equal to your class level.
    Which seems to be a better version of naberius to heal ability drain but a worst version for ability damage.

I know this class have been talked about multiple time but I wonder, in 2024, if we could come up with something we haven't thought so far... Or if there is already a way to achieve that I do not know about.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Portable River

Acorn of Far Travel is the usual answer to location-based shenanigans, with its own proud history of claims and counterclaims dating back twenty years. Counting as 'subrmerged' might be trickier, though.

Having two pairs of ring gates should allow you to create a side branch of any river if you're within 100 miles of one. Have a tiny part of the river flow through gate 1A, out of gate 1B (on your person), through a tube into gate 2B (on your person) and back into the main river out of gate 2A. This creates a flow of water as continuous with the river as you're ever going to get, and especially if you're small-sized it should be possible to 'immerse' yourself in it.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Join the new Junkyard Wars round and build with Cloaked Dancer and a companion creature!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

A lot of Decanters of Endless water strung together??

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe you just live at the bottom of a river and do all your adventuring via astral projection.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Hm, I thought for sure that there was a variety of oak that lived continually submerged in water, like mangroves, but it looks like, while water oak and live oak are tolerant of occasional flooding, they still grow on mostly-dry land.

But then, this is D&D. Maybe we can find some way to slap an aquatic template on an oak tree.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Shrink Item on the top layer of a river, choosing a clothlike form. Fashion clothes snd/or a cloak from the shrunken river.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Acorn of Far Travel is the usual answer to location-based shenanigans, with its own proud history of claims and counterclaims dating back twenty years. Counting as 'subrmerged' might be trickier, though.

Having two pairs of ring gates should allow you to create a side branch of any river if you're within 100 miles of one. Have a tiny part of the river flow through gate 1A, out of gate 1B (on your person), through a tube into gate 2B (on your person) and back into the main river out of gate 2A. This creates a flow of water as continuous with the river as you're ever going to get, and especially if you're small-sized it should be possible to 'immerse' yourself in it.
    Ring Gates were my first thought too, but there's a 100-pound weight limit on material per day. A gallon of water is about 8.34 pounds, so for 100 pounds that would be just a tiny bit less than 12 gallons of water.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    Ring Gates were my first thought too, but there's a 100-pound weight limit on material per day. A gallon of water is about 8.34 pounds, so for 100 pounds that would be just a tiny bit less than 12 gallons of water.
    I'll admit I missed that on my first read-through, but even so you can probably bottleneck throughflow to the point where there's the barest trickle (about half a milliliter per second, if my math checks out) to try and squeeze a 'river' status out of the contraption. Maaaaybe having a weird setup where there's a large basin that just very slowly empties and fills could even allow you to reach immersion status.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Join the new Junkyard Wars round and build with Cloaked Dancer and a companion creature!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fero View Post
    Shrink Item on the top layer of a river, choosing a clothlike form. Fashion clothes snd/or a cloak from the shrunken river.
    Are you implying your could be... Wearing a river?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Condé View Post
    Are you implying your could be... Wearing a river?
    Why not? Weaving a river into cloths seems like the type of thing that would happen in mythology. I think some Egyptian myths state that the entire world was created by weaving. That said, wearing an entire river would take many castings. As such, the better bet is probably to just wear part of the river :p

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

You could just spend all your time half in and half out of the Ring Gates. Leave your lower body in the river while your upper body goes adventuring. You’d probably want wings or something since you won’t have your legs with you. The transportation limit isn’t an issue. The real problem is that the Ring Gates need to be within 100 miles of each other. You might want to adventure somewhere more than 100 miles from a river. That leaves Planar Ring Gates, which are very expensive and inconveniently large.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGuy

Depending on your DMs definition of river, you could ask if growing to colossal size would let you count your blood vessels as rivers
    am was here

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

Somehow induce planar bleed to an area with a river? Or maybe spin around really fast with one of those like, water-contained-in-projected-force weapons (forget the name of the material)?
    Sometimes, I have strong opinions on seemingly inconsequential matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis21 View Post
    Phhase he played four
    He played nick nack on my door
    With a nick nack paddy whack
    Give a dog a bone
    Phhase came rolling home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventruenox View Post
    You found a way to backstab... with a ballista...

I want to play at your table.
    Spoiler: How to have a Good Idea
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Buy a lava lamp, it more than doubles the rate of good ideas :p
    Better yet, buy this lava lamp.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

How does Tem-Et-Nu feel about this?

Don't want to be bitten by a hippo...

Tell me why this plan doesn't work:

Create a Water Elemental from a river

Be carried around inside that Water Elemental

Or:

The Styx and the Oceanus are both rivers, so Planar Bubble or anything similar should work

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

I have contiguous question. Is there way use swim speed while being out of water?
    Do you want to become Epic? You are welcome: Zinc Saucier XLVI: Greatest of All Men

Spoiler: For purposes of clarity
    Show
    1109 is September, 11 - my birthday.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Condé View Post
    Divine Power (Sp): At 5th level, you gain the benefit of divine power, as the spell, once per day. Your caster level is equal to your class level. If you activate this ability while submerged up to your waist (or deeper) in a river, the amount of time you benefit from the ability does not count toward the duration of the effect until you move out of water of this depth. Once the duration begins to count down, however, it does not stop even if you proceed to immerse yourself in waist-deep water. At 10th level, you can use this ability twice per day.
    This is definitely past the "You will get books thrown at you" line. Don't expect this to actually work. (It is better than the Riverine idea I was thinking of earlier, at least give me that.)

You need to be submerged up to your waist in a river, but the duration starts when you move out of water. So, if you activate it in a river of lava/blood/quicksilver/whatever, and then never enter water, your duration never starts ticking down as you never exited water. Doesn't help Restoring Immersion, though.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Couldn't you make a custom magic belt, a small gate tied to the elemental plane of water. activate it and it opens the gate, producing a river that submerges your torso.

Edit : After thought. You could have adjustable strength for the flow of said river, potentiallly using it as a mode of trasportation.
    Last edited by EndocrineBandit; 2024-06-03 at 08:59 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    D'oh! I never noticed that restriction. That makes the item considerably less useful (and makes our snaffling an extra-large dragon hoard twenty-ish years ago accidental cheating.

Quote Originally Posted by loky1109 View Post
    I have contiguous question. Is there way use swim speed while being out of water?
    If Pathfinder content is on the table, there is the sky swim spell. I don't know of anything in pure 3.5, but I would not be surprised if something similar existed.
    (He/him or they/them)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Fero View Post
    1. Shrink item on river layer, into cloth.
    2. Get a man to stand and extend right foot.
    3. Turn a man into stone, then shrink item.
    4. Put river (cloth) on table. Put man (shrunk petrified) on table, lean him so that right foot touches the river (cloth).
    5. Repeat step 4.

Ha! Yes, Heracletus, *this* man stepped in the same river twice and they are both the same! Checkmate!

I'm sorry.
    Chaos is I.
    Evil is Me.
    Good is Us.
    Law is We.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGuy

A dvati pair can share personal spells, if your DM is ok with counting self buffing SLAs as personal spells, you could have one twin to cast it from inside a river and share the effect with the dry twin
    am was here