New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default 3e [Epic] - LeShay Class Levels?

The leShay (from the ELH) have the following ability:

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    LeShay Weapons (Su)
    Each leShay carries two personal melee weapons that he or she manifests from his or her own life essence. The weapon can change form as he or she shifts from class to class, typically appearing as a bastard sword (one in each hand). When not in combat, the weapons simply do not exist, but leShay can “draw” their weapons from nowhere as a free action. LeShay weapons are considered light weapons for a leShay, regardless of their size.
    What does the underlined bit mean? LeShay don't have any listed class levels, nor do they appear to have any ability that allows them to mimic them, even in the fluff text.

Is the highlighted bit some sort of legacy error or am I missing something?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: 3e [Epic] - LeShay Class Levels?

I have no answers here, I only came in to immaturely post that I read "Eshay" for "LeShay" and immediately started thinking of bard builds.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Any creature with Int 3 or more can theoretically take class levels. It might be what they were referencing there, but I doubt it. There is something weird about the LeShay : its advancement is "None". For such a humanoid monster, it's very unusual. If the Uvuudaum in the same book has "advancement : by character class", the fact that what is essentially a mega elf does not definitely means something. Combined with the "shifts from class to class" and the fact that the picture has a bow rather than the bastard swords, I personally believe that the original version of the LeShay actually had an ability to emulate high-level class abilities and shift through them, considering they are so old that they actually studied every single field of study during their life (thus explaining why they have nothing left to learn and cannot advance at all), but it was probably scrapped for being a hassle to run.
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Especially weird, considering the same book has a Leshay NPC with 20 class levels: Anifer Unglum, leader of the Garrote, is a Rogue 6/Assassin 14 Leshay, making her the second strongest NPC statted out there, at least in terms of HD.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    I have no answers here, I only came in to immaturely post that I read "Eshay" for "LeShay" and immediately started thinking of bard builds.
    What do drug-users or hoodie-wearing teenagers have to do with anything?
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2024-05-24 at 08:32 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

The advancement line is not an absolute limit. Any monster can progress as a class. The lack of LA also just means that it's not really suitable for player characters.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darg View Post
    The advancement line is not an absolute limit. Any monster can progress as a class. The lack of LA also just means that it's not really suitable for player characters.
    Actually, The Leshay is LA +0: 50 Racial Hit Dice (Fey), and an ECL of 50 given at the start of the chapter.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    The leShay (from the ELH) have the following ability:

What does the underlined bit mean? LeShay don't have any listed class levels, nor do they appear to have any ability that allows them to mimic them, even in the fluff text.

Is the highlighted bit some sort of legacy error or am I missing something?
    I think it was a legacy error. It was brought up here where they suggested it was an artifact of an earlier draft and nobody replied to say otherwise.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    What do drug-users or hoodie-wearing teenagers have to do with anything?
    ... demographics most likely to want to run a drow PC?