New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: [D&D 5] Fight for your Right to Die

That is great to hear! That means that we just need to work out the curse, and I need to finish writing backstories and picking items.

About the curse...
    One key underlying question I keep running into is: How often do you see the changes occurring? My initial thought was 1/day, with the constant shifts in focus and goals being the curse(Not to mention the extremely inefficient allocation of feats for both sides). That said, I can also see how that frequency would make adventuring very difficult, since Jace might start an adventure that Elela would not care for, and simply abandon it.
    If the changes are frequent, the penalties should be relatively minor as the expectation will likely be continuing to adventure while under those penalties.
    If the changes are infrequent, more serious penalties can be used, as more time can be allocated for recovering.

Disadvantage on saving throws is exhaustion 2. I'm hoping/expecting that exhaustion will usually be kept lower than that, which is why I was thinking that disadvantage on saving throws(As a reflection of their mind being discombobulated from the switch) would be reasonable. Or else we could just do it as exhaustion 2 for 1d4 hours after switching, then exhaustion 1 for 1d4 hours after switching.

On the other hand, consuming an HD could also work(Maybe), depending on how often the switches occur. My initial thoughts were for it to be ~1 per day, which, well, would lead to the pair being effectively unable to heal naturally, since a long rest would recover 4 hd and take a week, which would not match the consumption rate without any need for healing.

On the other hand, I also know me: I will push for something that I know I can mitigate with a bit of effort, which is not what you want from the curses. (Some random thoughts for alternative curses I've had have been...
    Some sort of need to steal magic from others to recover spell slots(Which I've dismissed because it would impact Elela far more than Jace, and also because it may well be a buff. If I made Jace a magic rogue, it could apply to both, but the party already has a lot of casters.)
    Jace only able to do long rests in a city, whereas Elela can only do them in nature.(Dismissed due to my thoughts being 1 change a day, which may not make sense in a narrative sense and would prevent long resting and also being fairly trivial.)
    The two "fighting" and basically dumping the other's equipment(Dismissed because this is self destructive and would make adventuring effectively impossible)
    Only being able to do long rests in special groves(Dismissed because this would be way too crippling without knowing where these groves are(Said groves would be specifically related to the reason they got stuck together))

I'm hoping to complete the Elela's backstory(At least a first draft, rather than the current state of notes) and review Jace's backstory by this Friday. And also pick magical equipment(One is a spell focus, 1 will no doubt be armor, and one will be a something for Jace, depending on what I find interesting as I poke through the magic item lists)
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Jace/Elela, Right to Die

2. - Top - End - #62

GreenSorcererElf

I think that's a first pass fully completion(Pending agreement on the curse) of Jace/Elela.

Currently, the selected magical items are...
    Common: Moon Touched Rapier(Magic sword, it glows)
    +1 spell focus: Rod of the Pact Keeper(Refluffed into an Amber Bangle)
    Bag of Holding is bag of holding.
    Uncommon: Cloak of Elvenkind.

After buying spell components and a spell, I've got around 300 gold. Would that be sufficient to buy an additional magic item(Looking at shiftweave/+1 rapier/Weapon of Warning)? Or potions?(Kind of want to have a magical weapon for Jace to use that doesn't glow, even a +0 would be better.)
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Jace/Elela, Right to Die

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

I am thinking something like every time the character regains consciousness you roll a d20 and 6 or less you switch. I might have you roll other times if the character is under a significant amount of stress.

I allowed other players to use the Sane Magical Prices index to buy some potions with starting funds on discord. A mount and riding gear are also something that is frequently overlooked.

Hihi'irokane - Scarlet or crimson in color, harder than diamond, immune to rust, this metal is an excellent conductor of heat, and an even better conductor of souls/spiritual energy. Metal weapons forged from this can damage incorporeal creatures as if they were magical. Items made of hihi'irokane cost triple the normal price.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

4. - Top - End - #64

GreenSorcererElf

Perfect!

With a once every three days curse(As expected), something like exhaustion 1 for 1d4 hours + HD OR exhaustion 2 for 1d4 hours seems reasonable? With a cap that, well... the increased exhaustion won't push to 6.

A mount and tack would cost ~100 gold, but I think holding off on that until after game start, to see if it is needed may make more sense: Jace mostly worked cities, not country, and Elela was small.

With that,
    Swapping significant purchases to...
    Hihi'irokane Rapier: 75 gold
    Speak With animals scroll/Scribing: 110
    Pearl, Town Portal Gem, and an Undead Eyeball in a gem: 300 gold(Spell components)
    Potion of Invisibility: 180
    Common item: Shiftweave
    Uncommon Item: Cloak of Elvenkind
    Spell focus: Bangle of the Pact Keeper
    Bag of Holding.

That leaves 85 gold, which should be enough to get a mount if it makes sense to do so.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Jace/Elela, Right to Die

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Here is a fresh link to the Discord server https://discord.gg/Sznr6yUG jump on and introduce yourself.

Read up on the IC thread [D&D 5] Fight for your Right to Die, Part 1

We will introduce your character IC soon. Just need to give the sheet one last look over.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese