New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Default What can we do to fix the Shalarin?

While doing some research, I came across the Shalarin (Monsters of Faerun p76, and the Player's Guide to Faerun Monster update. (Here if you don't have it). Stats are +4 to STR and +4 to DEX, no negative stats, and LA 0. There are two downsides to this: it can't breathe out of water, and has no land speed. So, great for an aquatic campaign, providing you don't ever expect or want to ever leave water.

The obvious question becomes: how can we make this usable in a non-aquatic campaign?

We can apply the Aquatic template to let us breathe out of water, and take a -2 to DEX, which still leaves us at a respectable +4 STR and +2 DEX, but what would be the best way to go about giving a Shalarin a land movement speed?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What can we do to fix the Shalarin?

Dip 1 level of druid, take the shapeshift ACF, be permanently in predator form. Your ability scores won't change, but you constantly get +4 natural armor, +4 enhancement to strength, a bite attack, and 'your base land speed becomes 50 feet'. See if some kind of ape counts as a predator who can still use humanoid equipment.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2024-05-25 at 07:32 AM.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Join the new Junkyard Wars round and build with Cloaked Dancer and a companion creature!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

There's a 2nd-level spell in SpC called Fins to Feet which lasts 1hr/level.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

A Dustform Incarnate Construct Shalarin would probably have land speed of 30 feet if I were to guess? Don't know about it's swim speed though. Also the abilities would change to +8 STR / +2 DEX

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pabelfly View Post
    While doing some research, I came across the Shalarin (Monsters of Faerun p76, and the Player's Guide to Faerun Monster update. (Here if you don't have it). Stats are +4 to STR and +4 to DEX, no negative stats, and LA 0...
    This is incorrect.

The monster update clearly says, "The shalarin presented here had the following ability scores before racial adjustments: Str 13, Dex 11, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 8."
    The one in the book has Str 14, Dex 14, Con 10, Int 11, Wis 11, Cha 10.
    That means, Str +1, Dex +3, Con -2, Int -1, Wis +2, Cha -2.
    If we ignore the odd numbers, it should have Dex +2, Con -2, Wis +2, Cha -2. Pretty normal for a +0 LA monster.

However, the Monster Manual errata says creatures with a 1st level feat that requires a +1 BAB but who do not have a +1 BAB at 1st level get that as a racial bonus feat, and gain a +2/+2 skill feat such as Alert as their 1st level feat. So this creature has Weapon Focus (Trident) as a racial bonus feat.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou View Post
    This is incorrect.

The monster update clearly says, "The shalarin presented here had the following ability scores before racial adjustments: Str 13, Dex 11, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 8."
    The one in the book has Str 14, Dex 14, Con 10, Int 11, Wis 11, Cha 10.
    That means, Str +1, Dex +3, Con -2, Int -1, Wis +2, Cha -2.
    If we ignore the odd numbers, it should have Dex +2, Con -2, Wis +2, Cha -2. Pretty normal for a +0 LA monster.

However, the Monster Manual errata says creatures with a 1st level feat that requires a +1 BAB but who do not have a +1 BAB at 1st level get that as a racial bonus feat, and gain a +2/+2 skill feat such as Alert as their 1st level feat. So this creature has Weapon Focus (Trident) as a racial bonus feat.
    The same monster update, four lines above, says:

Abilities change to Str 17, Dex 15, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 8
    Subtract the given array, and you get to +4 strength, +4 dexterity.

edit: As for your bonus feat claim, I do believe this is meant to be a 1st-level warrior, in line with all the other 1 HD humanoids and the fact that it clearly has +1 BAB calculated in its stats.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2024-05-25 at 09:36 AM.

Join the new Junkyard Wars round and build with Cloaked Dancer and a companion creature!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Dragonborn at 6+HD with the hover feat or a maneuverability improvement to 'good' (feat, spell, or item) can be a tolerable alternative to a ground move.

You might be able to manage with dragonborn at an earlier level. If you can get a 5' elevation, you can glide 20' and have a speed (generic term for any movement) of 30'. Hence, the DC for a 5' high jump after you glide 20' is 20. Dragonborn[Wings] provides jump+10, so the remaining +9 to reliably be able to maintain glide is +4(rankis)+5(Strength). The feats Leap of the Heavens (no need to move in a straight line for 20') and Vault (DC = 3 * height instead of 4 * height) could make a jump-sustained low level glide more viable.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Starting as a ghost will allow you play outside water, then gain levels in classes that grant any other movement speed and remove the need to breath, lastly resurrect yourself and keep playing
    am was here

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

confused Re: What can we do to fix the Shalarin?

By RAW a Clear Ioun Stone will work. It's feasible to have one by 5th level and a backup is cheap at higher levels. So it's not like not being able to breathe air is extremely detrimental for a mid-level to high level adventure.

That said, yes, adding the amphibious creature inherited template would work from level 1. For the low cost of -2 dex you get the amphibious quality. The problem? You still don't have a land speed. How do you get a land speed? Without one the only action you can take on land is the crawl action.

Thus you still need the fins to feet spell (which doesn't include breathing air).

Thus, you have the option of using F2F + a clear ioun stone or somehow getting all day usage of alter self or change shape (which gets rid of the advantages of being a shalarin). Gaining a flight speed would also work. Overland flight or the humanoid shape invocation are options. Taking one level of dragonfire adept and picking up the dragon wings feat at level 1 grants you the ability to pick up the improved dragon wings feat at level 6.
    Last edited by Darg; 2024-05-25 at 11:48 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think this edition has rules for wheelchairs, but I would be looking for something in that vein. Like, maybe sit on a Tenser's floating disk and have it float you around.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

I guess not having a movespeed doesn't prevent you from riding a mount, right?

Could be a simple solution.
    Last edited by Condé; 2024-05-25 at 11:47 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateWench

A lot of templates can give the ability to fly (liked Winged (LA+2) for example), but it seems pretty hard to find one that grants a land movement speed, since they assume you'll have one already. And most of the templates granting flight have too much LA, so that would be counter-productive for someone trying to take advantage of an LA +0 race with good stats.

Even the overpriced Earth Elemental Creature template (at +4 LA) doesn't grant normal walking on land abilities, but it does let you burrow.

However, a Lycanthrope (LA +2 or +3) can, in hybrid form, gain the speed of the base creature.

The Tauric Creature template could come in handy, but it only seems to have CR and not LA.

A Dark Creature (LA +1) gets +10' to all modes of movement, but you probably have to have that mode before you get the bonus.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Condé View Post
    I guess not having a movespeed doesn't prevent you from riding a mount, right?

Could be a simple solution.
    This seems nice, particularly if there is a large party member that can be a mount.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SimonMoon6 View Post
    A lot of templates can give the ability to fly (liked Winged (LA+2) for example), but it seems pretty hard to find one that grants a land movement speed, since they assume you'll have one already. And most of the templates granting flight have too much LA, so that would be counter-productive for someone trying to take advantage of an LA +0 race with good stats.
    If you're in it for the flight speed, Half-Fey is usually a better choice than winged. The ability bonuses are a bit different (less unequivocally positive, with -2 constitution and all), but you get the Fey type for immunity to the X person line and a heap of SLAs, all for the same +2 LA.

Another option is 6 levels of Dragonfire Adept casting (or 16th-level Warlock casting with the infernal adept feat) to get at-will Change Shape, keeping your stats while giving you a different humanoid's movement modes.

Also... you can get a mount: +4 strength +2 dexterity are very fine stats for a mounted charger. I'd actually prefer it over something like water orc just for not eating into my already-limited skill points and not having light sensitivity.

Extended signature!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    If you're in it for the flight speed, Half-Fey is usually a better choice than winged. The ability bonuses are a bit different (less unequivocally positive, with -2 constitution and all), but you get the Fey type for immunity to the X person line and a heap of SLAs, all for the same +2 LA.
    Well, yes, but the flight from Winged is very stupid if one can pump DEX high enough. (Aren't most ways to calculate a newly acquired flight speed numerically tied to land speed, though?)

and not having light sensitivity.
    …also known as the "do you have 10 gp for those Sundark Goggles" drawback. What do you have against mounted Orcs with cool shades, I wonder?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    …also known as the "do you have 10 gp for those Sundark Goggles" drawback. What do you have against mounted Orcs with cool shades, I wonder?
    Eh, I don't think sundark goggles are used in every game, I might as well bring it up in case someone in the future checks out this thread and finds it a relevant difference.

Extended signature!

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Eh, I don't think sundark goggles are used in every game, I might as well bring it up in case someone in the future checks out this thread and finds it a relevant difference.
    Instead of telling the world about Sundark Goggles? Cool shades for everyone, I say!

You are dead right on to something with Half-Fey, on the other hand. Unlike stuff like Winged or Fell Flight, it is worded in a way that allows for working from a swim speed.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2024-05-25 at 03:14 PM. Reason: I managed to randomly capitalize a word.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

How about to use Unseelie Fey to get Fly speed, and Races Of Air racial variant to fix the "can't breath air" problem?

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post
    How about to use Unseelie Fey to get Fly speed,
    Due to the vague wording with "your normal speed" it would work, yes, but it's generally considered a rather chesesy template.

and Races Of Air racial variant to fix the "can't breath air" problem?
    Am I missing something here? I keep seeing people treat Elemental Variants as templates, but I don't think they qualify as such by RAW.

20. - Top - End - #20

Stormwrack, page 130 has the Ring of Landwalking which grants the user a land speed of 30 feet and air breathing (Spell Compendium, page 8).

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by SirNibbles View Post
    Stormwrack, page 130 has the Ring of Landwalking which grants the user a land speed of 30 feet and air breathing (Spell Compendium, page 8).
    Ooooh. I have to keep that one in mind. For that price too, that's pretty solid.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

One more possibility is the Black Dragonspawn template: it's the same LA +2 as Half-Fey, and gives Water Subtype
    A water creature can breathe underwater and usually can breathe air as well.
    The only problem there is: it calculates its Fly speed from its land speed - which Shalarin don't have...
    Last edited by ShurikVch; 2024-05-28 at 05:42 PM.