New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Strange wi-fi problem. Inability to connect jumps from device to device

For the past month or so we've been having a strange issue with the wi-fi at my house. At most times, one or two devices will be able to connect to the wi-fi network but not be able to actually access the internet. It isn't always the same devices and disconnecting one of the working devices from the network doesn't seem to enable the non-working ones to connect.

Does anybody have any idea what could be causing the problem?
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Strange wi-fi problem. Inability to connect jumps from device to device

Normally I would suggest that this is a channel issue, but if you are connecting to the router then it isn't that.

Off the top of my head:

• Do you have devices directly wired to the router, and are they getting through to the internet (ie, is this specifically a problem with the wireless part rather than the actual internet connection)?
    • Have you tried restarting the router to reset the connection? It is possible that the internet connection has simply been dropped.
    • Is your ISP reporting any problems? It might not even be your router's fault!
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Strange wi-fi problem. Inability to connect jumps from device to device

How many devices do you typically have connected to the router? Are they all connected via wifi or are some connected via ethernet? It could be caused by an IP address conflict on your network.

Spoiler: Good luck
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Usually in this situation the Router gives the devices their IP addresses, so there shouldn't be a conflict unless the devices have been specifically set up with manually assigned IP addresses and are ignoring the Router (which is unlikley).

My network does have a couple of static IPs, but they are defined at the router.

(But yes, as always XKCD shows the way...)
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; 2024-05-27 at 12:52 PM.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Hyoi View Post
    How many devices do you typically have connected to the router? Are they all connected via wifi or are some connected via ethernet? It could be caused by an IP address conflict on your network.

Spoiler: Good luck
    Show
    One device is connected via ethernet, the rest are wi-fi.

Also, for some reason we have two modems, one of which has built-in wi-fi and the other of which is connected to a seperate wi-fi router. I don't know why. I still live at my parents house; But they don't remember how it got set up that way either. But the problem occurs with both of them

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    Do you have devices directly wired to the router, and are they getting through to the internet (ie, is this specifically a problem with the wireless part rather than the actual internet connection)?
    The ethernet one apparently loses connectivity sometimes too, according to my mom, whose computer it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    Have you tried restarting the router to reset the connection?
    Several times. Sometimes if helps, sometimes it doesn't.
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2024-05-27 at 07:34 PM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    One device is connected via ethernet, the rest are wi-fi.

Also, for some reason we have two modems, one of which has built-in wi-fi and the other of which is connected to a seperate wi-fi router. I don't know why. I still live at my parents house; But they don't remember how it got set up that way either. But the problem occurs with both of them

The ethernet one apparently loses connectivity sometimes too, according to my mom, whose computer it is.

Several times. Sometimes if helps, sometimes it doesn't.
    It's worth checking the individual IP addresses on the devices, then. If you had a single Modem/Router then you should be OK, but if you have multiple ones then they might be giving out conflicting IP addresses as Hyoi suggested.

In that case the first thing I would suggest is removing other routers/modems from the equation - disconnect them and connect only to the main modem/router - the one that connects to the external line.

If the wired and wireless connections are both failing to connect to the internet, but succeeding in connecting to the router, then it suggests a line fault rather than a router issue. If you can access the router log it should tell you whether the connection itself is failing.

And as I suggested, check with your service provider - there may be faults upstream. I used to have regular issues that mysteriously went away when the engineer decided to just replace the (very old) house cable.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Another thing to check would be multiple DHCP Servers in your LAN. DHCP is strictly "first come, first serve", and if you have a rogue one in your subnet that just answers faster every now and then and is otherwise configured wrongly (say, with an invalid gateway), that might lead to such intermittent problems.

Maybe check your routers guest wifi, if it has one, maybe there's a subnet overlap there or something.

8. - Top - End - #8

My folks had the cable guy in today and he disconnected one of the modems and that seemed to fix the problem for everything EXCEPT my laptop, which can now no longer detect the network AT ALL, even though it could previously detect and connect to (but not necessarily access internet with) both modems and even thougn it can still detect seemingly every other network in the neighborhood

EDIT:
    Update: I switched to a different version of the wi-fi driver as per the advice here but don't know why it was suddenly necessary
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2024-06-04 at 01:55 AM.

Omegaupdate Forum