New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Assigning a score to all the conditions (and beyond)

Hi all!

What score of power would you assign to each conditions if you would be able to apply it to a single target until the end of its turn?

I would like if you can include also the "unnamed conditions" like, for example, the ones present in these spells: mind sliver, mind whip, binding ice, silence, slow, synaptic static,...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default Re: Assigning a score to all the conditions (and beyond)

Blind: 7/10: provides adv on everyone's attack rolls, probable disadv on theirs
    Charmed: 2/10: very situational. might not do anything. best case, locks up their turn, but more likely they just change targets
    Deafened: 1/10: likely won't affect anything
    Exhaustion (assuming 1 level): 1/10: likely won't affect anything
    Frightened: 4/10: also situational, but a bit easier to exploit than charmed
    Grappled: 5/10: might take their turn, might do nothing. but easier to use than charm or fear
    Incapacitated: 6/10: takes their turn
    Invisible: 1/10: benefits them lol
    Paralyzed: 10/10: top tier condition
    Petrified: 10/10: assuming they're small enough, shove them over and break them
    Poisoned: 6/10: less impactful than blind, more likely to be immune
    Prone: 4/10: situational, and turn order dependent. melee characters will like it
    Restrained: 8/10: better than blind, as they also can't move
    Stunned: 9/10: takes their turn, makes them vulnerable to str and dex saves, adv to attack
    Unconscious: 10/10: paralyzed, for all intents and purposes

Dead: 11/10: the best condition to inflict

3. - Top - End - #3

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Skrum View Post
    Charmed: 2/10: very situational. might not do anything. best case, locks up their turn, but more likely they just change targets
    Charmed as per the dominate spell is even better than dead or paralyzed. You have taken their strength and added to your own and is even better when out of combat. Then you have suggestion which is a type of charm and you can tell people to go home and play with themselves even in a combat situation effectively taking them out without killing them. So 12/10 maybe?
    Optimizing vs Roleplay
    If the worlds greatest optimizer makes a character and hands it to the worlds greatest roleplayer who roleplays the character. What will happen? Will the Universe implode?

Roleplaying vs Fun
    If roleplaying is no fun then stop doing it. Unless of course you are roleplaying at gunpoint then you should roleplay like your life depended on it.

4. - Top - End - #4

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by RazorChain View Post
    Charmed as per the dominate spell is even better than dead or paralyzed. You have taken their strength and added to your own and is even better when out of combat. Then you have suggestion which is a type of charm and you can tell people to go home and play with themselves even in a combat situation effectively taking them out without killing them. So 12/10 maybe?
    I didn't rate suggestion or dominate; just the charmed condition. And all it does is prevent the charmed from attacking the charmer. 2/10.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Grappled: 5/10: might take their turn, might do nothing. but easier to use than charm or fear
    Prone: 4/10: situational, and turn order dependent. melee characters will like it
    Stunned: 9/10: takes their turn, makes them vulnerable to str and dex saves, adv to attack

Dead: 11/10: the best condition to inflict
    I get the impression you scored them assuming it lasts until the beginning of your next turn, given some of your reasonings. OP asked until the end of this turn, so Charmed, Grappled, or Incapacitated have no chance to take the opponents turn for instance.
    Last edited by Rukelnikov; 2024-05-26 at 11:01 PM.
    Wanna try the homebrew system me and my friends play? It was developed by a friend of mine and all you need to play is found here

6. - Top - End - #6

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Rukelnikov View Post
    I get the impression you scored them assuming it lasts until the beginning of your next turn, given some of your reasonings. OP asked until the end of this turn, so Charmed, Grappled, or Incapacitated have no chance to take the opponents turn for instance.
    End of its turn. And yes I did :).

Which, now that I think about it, might mean no one gets to take advantage of the ability (if it goes next). I don't think that changes my ratings? I was just comparing them to each other.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Blind can be much better than restrained against the right target, as it completely shuts down most spells and other magical abilities. Restrained does nothing at all to hinder the offense of a spellcaster who's not using attack-roll spells.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

End of its turn. And yes I did :).

Which, now that I think about it, might mean no one gets to take advantage of the ability (if it goes next). I don't think that changes my ratings? I was just comparing them to each other.
    You are right, I misread it :P
    Wanna try the homebrew system me and my friends play? It was developed by a friend of mine and all you need to play is found here

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Additional 'conditions'

Confused
    Slowed
    Enfeebled
    Banished
    Mind-whipped
    Mind-spiked
    Compelled-duel'd
    Sanctuary'd
    Unable-to-heal
    Denied-reactions
    Shrunk
    Silenced
    Cursed
    Dancing
    Last edited by Kane0; 2024-05-27 at 04:44 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

DrowGirl

Confused: 4/10: very random, always less impactful than I think it'll be.
    Slowed: 9/10: shuts down all meaningful offense
    Enfeebled: 3/10: enemy dependent, pretty underwhelming
    Banished: 7/10: entirely shuts them down, but also protects them. strategically strong though
    Mind-whipped: 6/10: nice little speedbump
    Mind-spiked: 3/10: pretty small potatoes, all said and done. legendary resist brute forces around it
    Compelled-duel'd: 3/10: situational
    Sanctuary'd: (assuming this is on an ally...) 6/10: very good defense
    Unable-to-heal: 3/10: usually does nothing, sometimes is integral
    Denied-reactions: 4/10: do they have counterspell?
    Shrunk: 2/10: underwhelming
    Silenced: 3/10: niche. very niche
    Cursed: (to lose actions?): 8/10: taking turns is really really good, and this doesn't rely on being used on a certain type of enemy
    Dancing: 8/10: it's restrained, but more ridiculous. YMMV on the latter part

These are harder to judge; they're much more enemy dependent. On one hand, most are quite good against the appropriate enemy. But on the other, they're quite useless against the wrong enemy. I rated them more based on how often they'd be good to use, rather than how good they are against the perfect enemy.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Skrum, thank you very much for your rating. It was exactly what I was looking for! :-)

Do you think, more or less, Restrained (you scored it 8) is twice as strong/effective as Frightened (you scored it 4)? This is just an example to understand the general meaning of your ranking system?

In general, how do you think we can translate (if possible) your scores in spell levels? A simple spell that only impose a score-4 condition to one target should be a level-X spell and a score-8 condition should be a level-Y spell?

P.S. What is the (pseudo-)condition cursed?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by yisopo View Post
    P.S. What is the (pseudo-)condition cursed?
    From Bestow Curse, one of:

- Choose one ability score. While cursed, the target has disadvantage on ability checks and saving throws made with that ability score.
    - While cursed, the target has disadvantage on attack rolls against you.
    - While cursed, the target must make a Wisdom saving throw at the start of each of its turns. If it fails, it wastes its action that turn doing nothing.
    - While the target is cursed, your attacks and spells deal an extra 1d8 necrotic damage to the target.

The first and third are the most common selections in my experience.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Skrum
    [...]
    Confused: 4/10: very random, always less impactful than I think it'll be.
    Slowed: 9/10: shuts down all meaningful offense
    Enfeebled: 3/10: enemy dependent, pretty underwhelming
    Banished: 7/10: entirely shuts them down, but also protects them. strategically strong though
    Mind-whipped: 6/10: nice little speedbump
    Mind-spiked: 3/10: pretty small potatoes, all said and done. legendary resist brute forces around it
    Compelled-duel'd: 3/10: situational
    Unable-to-heal: 3/10: usually does nothing, sometimes is integral
    Denied-reactions: 4/10: do they have counterspell?
    Shrunk: 2/10: underwhelming
    Silenced: 3/10: niche. very niche
    Cursed: (to lose actions?): 8/10: taking turns is really really good, and this doesn't rely on being used on a certain type of enemy
    Dancing: 8/10: it's restrained, but more ridiculous. YMMV on the latter part
    Shouldn't Frightened and Poisoned be with the same rank?

Shoudn't Mind-whipped lower than Incapacitated?

Anyway, could you rank also: mind-slivered, binding-iced and synaptic-staticed?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    From Bestow Curse, one of:

- Choose one ability score. While cursed, the target has disadvantage on ability checks and saving throws made with that ability score.
    - While cursed, the target has disadvantage on attack rolls against you.
    - While cursed, the target must make a Wisdom saving throw at the start of each of its turns. If it fails, it wastes its action that turn doing nothing.
    - While the target is cursed, your attacks and spells deal an extra 1d8 necrotic damage to the target.

The first and third are the most common selections in my experience.
    The first 6/10?

The third one is less strong than Incapacitated, so 5/10?

15. - Top - End - #15

DrowGirl

Skrum, thank you very much for your rating. It was exactly what I was looking for! :-)
    My pleasure :)

Do you think, more or less, Restrained (you scored it 8) is twice as strong/effective as Frightened (you scored it 4)? This is just an example to understand the general meaning of your ranking system?
    I wouldn't say it's twice as good; I more rated it for a combination of how applicable it is and how strong of an effect it is. If frightened is used against a character who's already in melee, all it does is disadv on their attack rolls. Or, if there's a target in the opposite direction from the source of the target's fear, they can just move to attack that target. It's both situational and not THAT powerful of an effect.

Restrained is more likely to steal turns (preventing all movement), gives the same disadvantage on attacks, and also gives adv on all attacks against them.

I will note though, I didn't think about Blind's power to shutdown most spells. Enemies that make attack rolls far outnumber the amount that can cast spells, but the ones that can cast spells are usually the more dangerous ones, so...YMMV. I rated Restrained slightly better than Blind because it's *more likely* to be the stronger effect on any given enemy, but the enemy that is hurt more by Blind is likely more powerful.

A rough explanation for the ratings -
    1-3: low applicability and/or very weak effects (this category can be misleading, power-wise; I rated Silence here, though it might be extremely useful against the right enemy. Silence + grapple is extremely potent against most casters, for instance)
    4-6: moderate effects with low to moderate applicability
    7-8: moderate effects with high applicability
    9-10: strong effects with high applicability

In general, how do you think we can translate (if possible) your scores in spell levels? A simple spell that only impose a score-4 condition to one target should be a level-X spell and a score-8 condition should be a level-Y spell?
    Oh boy, there's a lot of variables there. Range, targets/AoE, saving throw targeted, and duration would all be large factors (especially the middle two).

Off the top of my head, with the caveat that this should probably be considered individually....?
    For just a general ranking, let's assume we're taking about a spell that targets a single creature at up to 30 ft range and hits one of the main saving throws (Dex, Con, or Wis).
    1-8: 1st level spell
    9 or 10: 2nd level spell

Hitting a large area would definitely be worth at least +1 spell level
    Targeting a less common save or not allowing a save at all, same deal

Shouldn't Frightened and Poisoned be with the same rank?
    Yeah lol, if not switched...Frightened does everything Poisoned does, and more, and creatures are less likely to be immune to fear. Poisoned 4 and Frightened 5 seems more appropriate.

Shoudn't Mind-whipped lower than Incapacitated?
    Yeah, for sure. This is what happens when I do the two lists separately. Upon review, I'd probably leave Incapacitate at 6 and bump Mind Whipped down to 4.

Anyway, could you rank also: mind-slivered, binding-iced and synaptic-staticed?
    Hmm I thought mind spike was mind slivered. Slivered (-1d4 on next saving throw) I would keep at 3. Spiked (know their location, can't benefit from invisibility in regards to the caster is a 2 at best. Probably a 1 though, this is incredibly situational.

Static'd: 4
    Blinding Ice: 5. It's effectively grappled
    Last edited by Skrum; 2024-05-28 at 09:24 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

All the information I asked and more, thank you again! :-)

Two very minor observations.

1) Prone and Denied-reaction may be 3/10. This has implications on the next point.

2) My proposal of matching between scores and spell-levels:
    1-3: cantrip
    4-8: 1st level spell
    9-10: 2nd level spell

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

As a point of discussion, Sanctuary and the Charmed Condition are performing very similar functions: both are forcing an attacker to target another person. In the case of Sanctuary there is a Saving Throw for each attempt, in the case of the Charmed Condition, once the effect lands, the condition alters the targeted creature's behavior, Legendary Resistance be damned.

As a DM, I remember at least 4 separate occurrences in which a creature was unable to drop an AoE on the party, due to being Charmed, and the charmer positioned themselves in such a way as to force an action change.

Advantage on Social Interactions is also not shabby, especially if the game follows the changing Attitude rules in the DMG.

I think I would consider the Charmed Condition to be closer in power to Sanctuary.
    In terms of overall Condition Ranking, I agree with the position you have slotted it. Charmed is better against spell casters, Frightened can be devastating against melee focused combatants.
    Last edited by Blatant Beast; 2024-05-28 at 12:22 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Blatant Beast View Post
    As a point of discussion, Sanctuary and the Charmed Condition are performing very similar functions: both are forcing an attacker to target another person. In the case of Sanctuary there is a Saving Throw for each attempt, in the case of the Charmed Condition, once the effect lands, the condition alters the targeted creature's behavior, Legendary Resistance be damned.

As a DM, I remember at least 4 separate occurrences in which a creature was unable to drop an AoE on the party, due to being Charmed, and the charmer positioned themselves in such a way as to force an action change.

Advantage on Social Interactions is also not shabby, especially if the game follows the changing Attitude rules in the DMG.

I think I would consider the Charmed Condition to be closer in power to Sanctuary.
    In terms of overall Condition Ranking, I agree with the position you have slotted it. Charmed is better against spell casters, Frightened can be devastating against melee focused combatants.
    Fair enough; could def see the argument that they should be closer together. I rated Sanc higher cause it works against ALL enemies, providing strong protection for one character. Charmed works on a single enemy; I just find it to be a much more situational thing. Granted, when it works it probably has higher highs than Sanc.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blatant Beast View Post
    Never thought about that. Very situational but very interesting too.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground

The Charmed Condition and Sanctuary work well in tandem. One of the games I ran, had a Open Hand Monk and a Lore Bard.

Target can not attack the bard, because of Charm, and the Target can not attack the monk, because the monk had their Sanctuary up.

Sanctuary, a scout's best friend.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

I want to thank everyone. All the valuable advice received here has contributed to the refinement of the latest version of my homebrew class, The Tactician - The mundane caster.
    Last edited by yisopo; 2024-06-06 at 05:19 AM.