Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

cool Re: Vote Up a Monster (3.X) #7: Voting Takes Manhattan

Thank you. That's all I needed.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Vote Up a Monster (3.X) #7: Voting Takes Manhattan

The votes are tallied, & the winner is: CR12!

So lastly, I need you guys (& girls) to vote on the creature's Special Abilities. Votes will be tallied regularly. Please only vote for 2 Special Abilities maximum, & please peruse the voting rules. Thank you for voting.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sonic Attacks
    Swallow Whole

Go go gadget extraplanar lungfish!

4. - Top - End - #124
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sonic Attack and Spells/SLAs!

5. - Top - End - #125

Sonic Attacks and Paralysis.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

Swallow Whole and Planar Pounce

Planar Pounce: The [creature name] is able to easily traverse between the planes both wholly and partially. It often exploits this to hunt for prey, traversing the planes only enough to see if there is any prey, while it lays in wait. Upon seeing the prey it may lunge partially or fully into the plane as a move action. If it successfully grapples (swallows) its target after only partially entering the plane, it may retreat back into the other plane as a swift action taking its prey with it.

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

7. - Top - End - #127
    Barbarian in the Playground

I vötë für Swallow Whole and Death Attacks.

8. - Top - End - #128

Regeneration and Telepathy.
    Hey. Do you want to help make a game?

Due to real life issues, I have been gon without warning for a while. I seem to be back now until further notice.

Thanks to Szilard for the Avatar!

If I am ever wrong, feel free to correct me. Learning is awesomesauce.

I like to edit my posts. A lot. As you may see, most of my posts will be edited, so if one is not, and you care about what I said, you may want to check it again a minute later.

Yes.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Pounce (not the Planar kind) and Paralysis.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ethereal Jaunt (to make it a native of the Ethereal Plane) and Screams from the Otherworld

Screams from the Otherworld (Su): The [Magical Beast] is infused with the odd energies of the Ethereal Plane, and it can tap into the curious swirls and eddies that power ghosts and other ethereal undead. As a standard action, the [Magical Beast], while on the Ethereal Plane, can throw back its head and howl. All within sixty feet on either the Material or Ethereal plane hear the howling as the screams and shrieks of dying men and women, and must succeed at a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 hit die + cha modifier) or be shaken. This is a mind-affecting, fear effect.

Furthermore, any incorporeal creature in the radius is rendered corporeal for a number of rounds equal to the [Magical Beast]'s charisma modifier. If they are currently inside an object, they are shunted to the nearest open space and dealt 1d6 points of damage per five feet moved this way.
    Last edited by Lord_Gareth; 2009-03-05 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I guess I'm now going to have to vote for Screams from the Otherworld and Ethereal Jaunt.

write-ins for the win!

12. - Top - End - #132

Edited for wording/tags.

Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

13. - Top - End - #133
    Dwarf in the Playground

Blast, stupid internet problems made me miss the CR vote. **Raaaage**

Ah, well, it was a CR I would've gone with anyway.

Ahem, for special abilities...

Sonic Attack and Trample
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyeudo View Post
    You know you're doing something wrong when your work causes people to try to figure out the plural of Deus Ex Machina.

14. - Top - End - #134

Screams from the Otherworld and planar pounce
    write-ins for the win indeed
    Remember: Hope springs eternal. The dark days will pass and the sun will shine again.

The best way to learn something is to ask, so ask without shame.

Many thanks to smuchmuch for the awesome Ponytar.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

All votes are currently tallied.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

Screams from the Otherworld (Su) and planar pounce
    Spoiler
    Show

played the Space Pope in Total War 2125
    ..and the Papal States of Luna in Total War 2260

Playing
    The Gears Chosen in Total Way: Broken City

The Spindleshanks Crusade in Total War: 40K

Dragon Avatar by Serp

Darkness Fell, and with it Light

17. - Top - End - #137

EvilClericGuy

Ethereal Jaunt and Sonic Attack
    Quote Originally Posted by ToySoldierCPlus View Post
    Now you're attempting to model physics when arguing your case for armor made by a guy who explicitly tells the laws of physics to sit down and shut up whenever he starts tinkering stacking with regular armor. Stop that.
    Miny city!
    Industrial miny city!
    transportation!
    round one, fight!

18. - Top - End - #138

Definately Screams from the Otherworld and Planar Pounce.

19. - Top - End - #139

Zeta, just wondering when this round will end. I haven't decided what I want to vote for yet but don't want to not vote!

20. - Top - End - #140

Regeneration & Fast Healing
    Having trouble writing up hard stat blocks but I'm doing a lot of sharing ideas and soft mechanics lately.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Planar Pounce and Swallow Whole
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground

All votes are currently tallied. This poll will conclude tonight, @ ~10PM EST.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll go with Sonic Attacks. My other vote will probably appear once I decide on it.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

All votes are tallied (sorry, Juhn), & the winners are: Sonic Attacks, Planar Pounce, & Screams of the Otherworld!

All votes have been tallied. Voting is concluded at this point. The resultant creature, the Ethereal Shrieker (working title), will be posted on Monday, March 9th. Thanks to everyone who voted.

25. - Top - End - #145

Yay! I love this contest ^_^

(By the by, Zeta, it's FROM the Otherworld, not OF)

My extended homebrew sig

26. - Top - End - #146
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cooool...and nice name, there. Makes me think of a falcon's cry (that "screeee" sound they make).
    You know you're doing something wrong when your work causes people to try to figure out the plural of Deus Ex Machina.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

Due to illness, I doubt I will be able to complete this monster tonight. I'm working on it, but I'm still under the weather. I will complete this beastie ASAP. I apologize for my tardiness, & for breaking my word.

28. - Top - End - #148

Don't worry Zeta, nobody blames you for getting sick. I hope you get well soon, and complete the monster whenever it's convenient for you.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

Ethereal Shrieker
    Spoiler
    Show

A pair of shriekers on patrol, far from their native mists.

Large Magical Beast (Extraplanar)
    Hit Dice: 15d10+30 (112HP)
    Initiative: +5
    Speed: Fly 30’ (6 squares, perfect maneuverability)
    Armor Class: 22 (-1 size, +5 Dex, +8 natural); touch 14; flat-footed 17
    Base Attack/Grapple: +15/+22
    Attack: Fin Slap +17 melee (1d8+3)
    Full Attack: 4 Fin Slaps +17 melee (1d8+3) & Bite +12 melee (1d6+1)
    Space/Reach: 10’/5’
    Special Attacks: Improved Grab, Planar Pounce, Screams from the Otherworld, Shriek, Swallow Whole
    Special Qualities: Darkvision 60’, Ethereal Jaunt, Extraplanar traits, Magical Beast traits
    Saves: Fort +11, Ref +14, Will +6
    Abilities: Str 16 (+3), Dex 21 (+5), Con 14 (+2), Int 11 (+0), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 19 (+4)
    Skills: Hide +8, Listen +8, Move Silently +12, Search +5, Spot +8, Survival +6
    Feats: Alertness, Dodge, Improved Initiative, Mobility, Spring Attack, Stealthy
    Environment: any land or underground (Ethereal Plane)
    Organization: solitary, pair, screech (3-5), or cacophony (6-20)
    Challenge Rating: 12
    Treasure: ½ standard
    Alignment: usually Lawful Neutral
    Advancement: 16-30HD (Large), 31-45HD (Huge)
    Level Adjustment: N/A

The massive beast is almost twice as long as a man is tall, & is built like a bizarre sort of fish. Its greenish-gray skin is translucent, with dark veins running underneath. It has four short tentacles on its underside, & a long glowing illicium (or lure) on their dorsal side. Its head is like that of a hammerhead shark, with beady eyes mounted on widely-spaced stalks.

From the most impenetrable fog of the Deep Ethereal, there are mysterious creatures that guard the Great Gray from outside intrusion. Unyielding in their commitment to their chosen cause, they patrol their territory without compassion or exception. Known amongst themselves as the Ntek’Tthek, they are more commonly called ethereal shriekers.

Ruthless & steadfast, the reason for their protection of the Deep Ethereal is a complete unknown, & is one of the biggest riddles of the plane. They seldom venture outside of the Ethereal Plane, but they will pursue trespassers relentlessly, bringing their considerable powers to bear upon any transgressors. Although it is extremely rare, legends tell of shriekers that have permanently left the Ethereal for other realms, choosing to protect different places & people.

An ethereal shrieker is about 10-12’ long & weighs around 750-900 pounds. They speak their own tongue (Ntek’Shka), & some of the more intelligent speak Common as well.

Combat
    Shriekers are an orderly lot, & so they fight in a regimented, methodical manner. If they are engaging a creature that has attempted to enter their territory, they will attempt to deter them, using any means necessary. They will avoid any other sort of fight, preferring to conserve their energy. They will only retreat or surrender if the conflict is unrelated to their pursuits, or if doing so is tactically advantageous to them.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, an ethereal shrieker must successfully perform a Bite attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold & can Swallow Whole.

Planar Pounce (Su): An ethereal shrieker is able to easily traverse between the Material & Ethereal planes both wholly & partially. It often exploits this to hunt for prey, traversing the planes only enough to see if there is any prey, while it lays in wait. Upon seeing the prey it may lunge partially or fully into the plane as a move action. If it successfully grapples (swallows) its target after only partially entering the plane, it may retreat back into the other plane as a swift action, taking its prey with it.

Screams from the Otherworld (Su): An ethereal shrieker is infused with the odd energies of the Ethereal Plane, and it can tap into the curious swirls & eddies that power ghosts & other ethereal undead. As a standard action, the ethereal shrieker, while on the Ethereal Plane, can throw back its head & howl. All creatures within 60’ on either the Material or Ethereal plane hear the howling as the screams & shrieks of the dying, & must succeed a Will save (DC21) or be shaken for 1d4+1 rounds. This is a mind-affecting, fear effect. Furthermore, any incorporeal creature in the radius is rendered corporeal for a number of rounds equal to the ethereal shrieker’s charisma modifier. If they are currently inside an object, they are shunted to the nearest open space & dealt 1d6 points of damage per 5’ moved in this way.

Shriek (Su): An ethereal shrieker can unleash an unearthly, deafening scream; all creatures within a 40’ cone take 8d6 sonic damage & are rendered deafened; Fortitude save (DC20) for half damage & negating the deaf status; the save DC is Strength-based; this attack can be used once every 1d4 rounds.

Swallow Whole (Ex): An ethereal shrieker can try to swallow a grabbed opponent of Small or smaller size by making a successful grapple check. Once inside, the opponent takes no damage. A swallowed creature can cut its way out by dealing 2d6+8 points of damage to the containment chamber (AC4). Once the creature exits, muscular action closes the hole; another swallowed opponent must cut its own way out. The shrieker’s stomach can hold 1 Small, 2 Tiny, 4 Diminutive or 8 Fine creatures.

Ethereal Jaunt (Su): An ethereal shrieker can shift from the Ethereal Plane to the Material Plane as a free action, & shift back again as a move action (or during a move action). The ability is otherwise identical with ethereal jaunt (caster level 17th).

Extraplanar traits: A subtype applied to any creature when it is on a plane other than its native plane. A creature that travels the planes can gain or lose this subtype as it goes from plane to plane. Monster entries assume that encounters with creatures take place on the Material Plane, & every creature whose native plane is not the Material Plane has the extraplanar subtype (but would not have when on its home plane). No creature has the extraplanar subtype when it is on a transitive plane, such as the Astral Plane, the Ethereal Plane, & the Plane of Shadow.

Magical Beast traits: All creatures with the Magical Beast type possess the following traits:
    • Darkvision out to 60’.
    • Proficient with its natural weapons only.
    • Proficient with no armor.
    • Magical Beasts eat, sleep, & breathe.

Monster Lore
    Characters that have ranks in Knowledge (Arcana) can learn more about Ethereal Shriekers. When a character makes a successful skill check, the following lore is revealed, including the information from lower DC’s.
    • DC22: “In the featureless gray expanse of the Deep Ethereal dwell frightening creatures, dedicated to protecting their territory from incursion.” A character making this check recalls all extraplanar magical beast traits.
    • DC27: “Known as ethereal shriekers, they can harm others with a deafening screech.” A character making this check knows the workings of the Shriek ability.
    • DC32: “They are unrelenting in their efforts to prevent others from violating the boundaries of their domain, & they seem to live for nothing else.” A character making this check remembers the mechanics of Planar Pounce & Screams of the Otherworld.
    • DC37: “Their religion dictates that they must guard the hidden demiplanes of the Deep Ethereal, some of which hide terrible secrets.” A character making this check is familiar with Improved Grab & Swallow Whole.
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2009-03-10 at 09:11 PM.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Vote Up a Monster (3.X) #7: Voting Takes Manhattan (Monster Complete, PEACH)

Wooooowwwww. That thing is fantastic. I can imagine springing that on a party and then sitting back to watch their reaction to it. Bravo, sir! Bravo!