New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Is there an eclipse occurring?

Quote Originally Posted by GSFB View Post
    I contend that there are only two possible explanations for the shape: either it is artistic choice, or there is an eclipse.
    You all fail horrribly.
    We get a good 20+ posts down on a __DND__ related forum and no one thinks to point out that:
    A WIZARD DID IT!!!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Toper View Post
    It's funny because instead of treating the Giant as the author of the work, the post presumed him to be in the same position as amateur forum critics such as ourselves, then upbraided him for taking the (much-contested) literary-theoretical stance which considers the author's own interpretation to be privileged and important, thus wrongly but plausibly re-interpreting his factual correction as an invalid argument for aw, screw it. MOON LASER
    Yeah, I'm surprised no one has busted his answer with "Citation Needed".

3. - Top - End - #33
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by homersolo View Post
    I'm sure this has been said before but.....

A) What? Did you get an "F" in Body Shapes when you painted a stick figure when the nude model came in?

B) How ashamed are your professors/university that their prized pupil draws stick figures for a living?

C) Yeah, you went to art school. For a about a week!

D) You went to art school? Did you get a Masters in Crayon? A PhD in Straight Lines?

F) What kind of effed up models did you see at Art School that had two different sized shoes?

The opportunities are endless!

:)

E)
    Actually, what I learned in art school was the importance of choosing a style for your work that is appealing and appropriate to the mood you are trying to communicate, how to compose a page and balance text and image elements, how to communicate ideas with images regardless of their anatomical accuracy, how to use vector art programs like Adobe Illustrator, how to use color properly, how to simplify complex shapes into iconic symbols that are recognizable nonetheless, how to prepare a book to be printed, and how to run an independent business that deals with issues like copyrights, trademarks, and the like. I have a degree in Graphic Design, not Fine Art, though it's easy to forget that most people think art school is exactly what they see in the movies: naked people and pencil drawings, nothing more or less.

On the plus side, they did manage to teach me the proper sequence for the first six letters of the alphabet.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    On the plus side, they did manage to teach me the proper sequence for the first six letters of the alphabet.
    Can i sig that?
    *edit Nah, i guess i shouldn't
    Last edited by Marnath; 2010-08-16 at 06:30 PM.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Someone bit the moon.
    FINALLY! A Tick reference!

Best. Comeback. EVER!

it's easy to forget that most people think art school is exactly what they see in the movies: naked people and pencil drawings
    SIGN ME UP!!!

Seriously, though, we appreciate your art and are glad you went to art school to learn about... whatever the heck they teach you... can't believe they don't cover astronomy... what are they teaching kids these days?
    Cry "Havoc," and let slip the gnomes of war! Or something...

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Seriously, though, we appreciate your art and are glad you went to art school to learn about... whatever the heck they teach you... can't believe they don't cover astronomy... what are they teaching kids these days?
    Well, considering it's ART school, and he went there for GRAPHIC DESIGN...

Gardening?

A webcomic by Sahaar and I, Shadow of Fire. Read it!

Giant in the Playground Worldbuilding Project.

Avatar by James Cameron. Or Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. Oh wait, I mean Tom Siddell.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Klose_the_Sith View Post
    Thanks. I just happen to be a hug Grammar Nazi at times. Sorry if it bothers you at all.
    Regardless of whether that was intentional or not, I think I love you.

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've seen moons like that a million times in media. The Kirby series, for example. Mistake or intention, it's just a pretty shape in the sky. :|

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BranRainey View Post
    I've seen moons like that a million times in media. The Kirby series, for example. Mistake or intention, it's just a pretty shape in the sky. :|
    I'm pretty sure that a giant mass of rock large enough to form into a sphere under it's own gravity that actively effects the planet it orbist and has been a center of many myths and also a center of many calendars is more than "just a shape", but yeah, sure.

EDIT: And Kirby's about a sentient pink puffball that can easily swallow being larger than he is to steal their powers and lives on a star-shaped planet with a penguin with a mallet. Yeah, Kirby is exactly where you go for astronomical accuracy.
    Last edited by Maximum Zersk; 2010-08-17 at 01:09 AM.

A webcomic by Sahaar and I, Shadow of Fire. Read it!

Giant in the Playground Worldbuilding Project.

Avatar by James Cameron. Or Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. Oh wait, I mean Tom Siddell.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Klose_the_Sith View Post
    Thanks. I just happen to be a hug Grammar Nazi at times. Sorry if it bothers you at all.
    Regardless of whether that was intentional or not, I think I love you.

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by grarrrg View Post
    A WIZARD DID IT!!!
    No -
    A GIANT DID IT!!!

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Naia View Post
    No -
    A GIANT DID IT!!!
    A giant wizard with a earth wand.
    Last edited by DemLep; 2010-08-17 at 05:40 AM.

Posting provokes an attack of opportunity by all who see it. Such attacks are unable to be dodged by any means. Making such an attack of opportunity provokes an attack of opportunity.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by darkpuppy
    All those who dislike philosophy or sociology, kindly [rest of post lost due to semantic corruption. Whether this corruption is purely textual in nature, or more implicative, also depends upon your point of view. ]

11. - Top - End - #41

OrcBarbarianGuy

So.... it ISN'T a space station?

I just looked at it and thought "Big desert moon. Good moon for looking at from a secluded balcony during a fancy state party."

12. - Top - End - #42
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Orzel View Post
    The Giant is feeding you all lies.
    The truth is:

Someone bit the moon.

*shakes fist*
    Accursed Cookie Monsters!
    I Think You Mean:
    Cookie Moonsters!
    'F' is the fire that rains from the Sky
    'U' for Uranium, BOMB!
    'N' is for No Survivors...

13. - Top - End - #43
    Banned

No, it's not the moon. It's a cookie someone took a bite out of.

14. - Top - End - #44

GreataxeFighterGuy

I suppose I should point out that since the disc of the nearer body is significantly smaller than the further one, it's more properly called a transit than an eclipse.
    Last edited by Beren; 2010-08-18 at 09:04 AM.

15. - Top - End - #45

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Beren View Post
    I suppose I should point out that since the disc of the nearer body is significantly smaller than the further one, it's more properly called a transit than an eclipse.
    but wait.... don't you still call a solar eclipse an eclipse, despite the fact that the moon is WAY smaller than the sun?

16. - Top - End - #46
    Colossus in the Playground

Even when the moon is far enough away, that it will "transit" the sun rather than eclipse it completely, it's still called an eclipse- an annular eclipse.

Hmm- if the "moon" was actually close in size to the OoTS world, and the OoTS world was the eclipsing body, wouldn't the "shadow" cast on the "moon" be slightly smaller than the moon itself?

Hence, you could have an "annular lunar eclipse".
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

I had to take an art history class to get my computer science degree. That was $500 I'll never get back.

Someday, I want to have a massive class action lawsuit against colleges that tack on generic courses onto every degree, no matter how unrelated they are to the subject.

18. - Top - End - #48

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NerfTW View Post
    I had to take an art history class to get my computer science degree. That was $500 I'll never get back.

Someday, I want to have a massive class action lawsuit against colleges that tack on generic courses onto every degree, no matter how unrelated they are to the subject.
    Thats what a four-year degree is for; to get a broad education. If you didn't like it, you shoudla gone to tech school.

19. - Top - End - #49
    The Big Footprint Administrator

Question asked and answered, by the Giant no less. This thread has since devolved into discussion of astronomy and art school.
    The above words represent the consensus of the entire Giant in the Playground staff, including the moderators, the webmaster, and Rich Burlew.

(The PM box for this account is not regularly monitored; please direct any PMs to the forum staff to Roland St. Jude, the forum guru. Do send moderator applications to this account, though, as directed in the announcement thread. Thank you.)