New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Girl Genius XXVII: Hoy! Hennybody else not dead?

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Yeah, their wording in that strip heavily implied they knew the tail was a device, not part of Agatha.
    No it doesn't. Remember, Agatha's in a giant mobile fishbowl - that could very well be the device they're talking about.

2. - Top - End - #152

Are we finally going to get a lore dump to answer some of our pages of questions?

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Are we finally going to get a lore dump to answer some of our pages of questions?
    When has that ever happened? If an info dump begins, it will be interrupted.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Fool! Infodumps are to raise more questions!
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Besides, they probably disapprove of dumping in the oceans.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

6. - Top - End - #156
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    No it doesn't. Remember, Agatha's in a giant mobile fishbowl - that could very well be the device they're talking about.
    The weapons were in the tail, and we know fourth-dimensionally that they would have been discovered.

Given that he examined the tail, it's conspicuously made of brass with fancy greebles -- I can't imagine they could possibly scan with confidence for concealed weapons and not pick up on that.
    Last edited by FLHerne; 2020-03-24 at 02:07 PM.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New page.

If that is how this works the guy is actually remarkable calm and sane.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2020-03-25 at 04:48 AM.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

8. - Top - End - #158

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    New page.

If that is how this works the guy is actually remarkable calm and sane.
    Yeah, I don't think this counts as chaos. (There go my quatloos)
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Seems rather similar in a way to the "brain" interface used by Carson.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

10. - Top - End - #160
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Seems rather similar in a way to the "brain" interface used by Carson.
    Only he doesn't need to plug in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

What the SCIENCE! did Vapnoodle do?
    No, seriously.
    This starts sounding like high end Other stuff.
    Sure, part of it might be the idiot cultists, but the way it sounds this isn't the first time beardude is involved with this stuff.

Whatever crimes against everything the man committed it sounds like he went way beyond experimenting on/enslaving those giant guppies.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Vapnoodle was nuts even by Madboy standards. Why do you think it is that off all the sparks Klaus had around him that guy is the only one he destroyed the spark on?
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

13. - Top - End - #163

I think that this is a very good moment for the comic. We are in a new setting, whose rules and problems still need be explored, as much as this new villain. It's a bit like back in Castle Wulfenbach, a part I liked a lot.

That that sclerotised bit of plot (the possession) is over is also good. Too much author-fiat in how it worked, too little to see, too good an excuse to overextend other plot points (Higg's "secret", Agatha's romance). The possession had ran its course once Zola had bottled it up. And compare it to the possession of Durkon's body in OotS, how much conflict it created, how good it was to see Roy understand the truth, and how clear-cut the rules were.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Vapnoodle was nuts even by Madboy standards. Why do you think it is that off all the sparks Klaus had around him that guy is the only one he destroyed the spark on?
    I doubt this very much - he was setting up to do the exact same thing on Othar Tryggvassen, GENTLEMAN ADVENTURER! as well. From the comments here and here it sounds like Othar and Vapnoodle are hardly the first.

That said, it is clear from the third panel in the second link that Vapnoodle went on the fast track because he was so dangerous.

EDIT: Also, volume 4 of the prose edition has just arrived. I'm having to force myself to keep typing rather than grabbing the book and reading the spark out of it.
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; 2020-03-27 at 10:25 AM.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

15. - Top - End - #165

Beholder

I bet this has either to do with the Other or with those who set up the mirrors.

EDIT: Would the original Dyne be considered a cursed water?
    Last edited by PraetorDragoon; 2020-03-27 at 03:48 PM.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Colossus in the Playground

Well vapnoodle explicitly was messing with the deep sea creatures back in his heyday. Albia went into full on amazon rage mode upon seeing him still existing, even if mentally broken at the time. So its not exactly surprising these deep creatures would be aware of him somehow. And from his rantings when he was restored, he didnt waste time building clanks or death rays, he violated higher and lower dimensions for his personal spark direction. So yeah, dude is hardcore bad news, and its probably a very bad thing he went to the other dimension. Because if anyone could come back, its him, and if he DOES come back, it will be far more dangerous than ever.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

17. - Top - End - #167

Oh oh oh, now I see it... master of animal engineering + cetaceans + dead water = Jäger Deep Cetaceans!
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

18. - Top - End - #168
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Oh oh oh, now I see it... master of animal engineering + cetaceans + dead water = Jäger Deep Cetaceans!
    Why am I thinking Pacific Rim?
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

19. - Top - End - #169
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    EDIT: Would the original Dyne be considered a cursed water?
    Well, when you think about it, a river has to flow somewhere...

20. - Top - End - #170

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    That said, it is clear from the third panel in the second link that Vapnoodle went on the fast track because he was so dangerous.
    On the contrary, he went through the normal track of working for the Baron and being tested (that's when he made Krosp) before being lobotomised. Othar was on the fast track.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    On the contrary, he went through the normal track of working for the Baron and being tested (that's when he made Krosp) before being lobotomised. Othar was on the fast track.
    Othar was certianly on the very fast track. I don't think there is anything to say how long Vapnoople was working for the Baron rather than being cored. Given how dangerous Albia believes Vapnoople to be, I doubt whether it was very long.

Do we know exactly when Krosp was created? The Bears were looking for him, which could imply that it was pre-Castle Wulfenbach.

It is also possible (but unlikley) that Krosp was created towards the end or after the coring process - while Vapnoople had just enough spark to do it (or with the dying flickers of his spark). Remember, by his own admission, Krosp the King of Cats, is a really stupid idea.

22. - Top - End - #172

Beetle probably was scheduled for lobotomy, too. http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comi...5#.Xn-YAohKiUk

23. - Top - End - #173
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Beetle probably was scheduled for lobotomy, too. http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comi...5#.Xn-YAohKiUk
    No, Beetle THOUGHT he was scheduled. He's wasn't http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comi...7#.Xn-jcIhKgdU Klaus was trying to talk Beetle down.

24. - Top - End - #174

PirateCaptain

Othar was certianly on the very fast track. I don't think there is anything to say how long Vapnoople was working for the Baron rather than being cored. Given how dangerous Albia believes Vapnoople to be, I doubt whether it was very long.
    Von Pinn, the Jagers and the Dreen were also all notoriously dangerous. Herr Baron has something of a tendency to think he can control dangerous beings. The scary thing about him is how often he's right.

Do we know exactly when Krosp was created? The Bears were looking for him, which could imply that it was pre-Castle Wulfenbach.
    Martellus claims it was after the Baron captured him. Besides, why would Krosp be on Castle Wulfenbach unless he was created there? Vapnoople's plan was for him to lead the bear army, after all.

It is also possible (but unlikley) that Krosp was created towards the end or after the coring process - while Vapnoople had just enough spark to do it (or with the dying flickers of his spark). Remember, by his own admission, Krosp the King of Cats, is a really stupid idea.
    Ah, but that wasn't the real reason he was created (see above paragraph). It's just what Vapnoople told the Baron.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Von Pinn, the Jagers and the Dreen were also all notoriously dangerous. Herr Baron has something of a tendency to think he can control dangerous beings. The scary thing about him is how often he's right.
    He has had a reputation for this for a long time - "Klaus always did know the right monster for the right job"

But there's dangerous and there is Dangerous.

Von Pinn was apparantly "built", or at least used, as a nursemaid. Undoubtedly a dangerous person, but very, very good at her job. I do wonder if Klaus knew that she was originally a muse.
    Spoiler: Potential spoiler for fourth print novel
    Show
    The introduction to volume 4 of the print novels is the creation of von Pinn - Lucrezia certianly knew.

The Jagers are an interesting one - According to the print novels (it is briefly mentioned in the comcs) Klaus has a policy of absorbing conquered troops into his army. The Jagers used this policy to their advantage (and to be fair, played the game - Gil says as much to Mamma Gkikka). Again, dangerous, but safe enough when used correctly.

The Dreen, we know very little of, except that everyone is scared of them - According to the books even the Slaver Wasps give them a wide margin. We also don't know why they agreed to join the Baron.

Vapnoople is in a whole different class of Dangerous.

Martellus claims it was after the Baron captured him. Besides, why would Krosp be on Castle Wulfenbach unless he was created there? Vapnoople's plan was for him to lead the bear army, after all.

Ah, but that wasn't the real reason he was created (see above paragraph). It's just what Vapnoople told the Baron.
    Oh, I agree that he was likley created on Castle Wulfenbach (in fact I think the print novel suggests that he has never set foot on the ground). I recall Krosp describes himself as a failed experiment slated for destruction. I suppose the question is was he created by the Vapnoople who had a hidden Bear army, or the one who was hiding an army of plushies.

In fact, now that I think about it, I suspect designed by the first and built by the second.
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; 2020-03-29 at 05:24 AM.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Von Pinn was apparantly "built", or at least used, as a nursemaid. Undoubtedly a dangerous person, but very, very good at her job. I do wonder if Klaus knew that she was originally a muse.
    If he didn't know he would certainly should have. He put her in charge of the children of many of the most powerful people in Europe. He would need to be dead certain she would do the job correctly. No room for a mistake. Klaus acquired Von Pinn when he took over Mechanicsburg some time after the Boys vanished. At the time she was insane but Klaus managed to fix that. He needed to know a great deal about her to do something like that.

27. - Top - End - #177

The Dreen, we know very little of, except that everyone is scared of them - According to the books even the Slaver Wasps give them a wide margin. We also don't know why they agreed to join the Baron.
    The new novel actually gives a hint about that...

Spoiler
    Show
    With the scene where the Dreen briefly menaces Agatha on the walls of Mechanicsburg: we get a glimpse of its thoughts, and it is doing what it does because history requires it.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by geoduck View Post
    The new novel actually gives a hint about that...

Spoiler
    Show
    With the scene where the Dreen briefly menaces Agatha on the walls of Mechanicsburg: we get a glimpse of its thoughts, and it is doing what it does because history requires it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    So they're in the past from their point of view?
    Or just so unattached to the normal flow of time that its all the same to them.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    So they're in the past from their point of view?
    Or just so unattached to the normal flow of time that its all the same to them.
    Choice #2. Shown HERE

30. - Top - End - #180

Quote Originally Posted by Ylimanul View Post
    i'm already dead
    Probably not what you meant, but the Deepspeaker's dreaming contented face in panel 3 today, with his jowl-spikes relaxed, the little tongue poking out!!! yeah I'm dead too.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.