New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Community Project: The Morndinsamman, Expanded (3.5)

Quote Originally Posted by unosarta View Post
    Sure! Which gods? Also, fluff would be awesome, especially fluff that is about specific abilities or things that said god can do (I.E. something in the Creation myth or something like that about Moradin say... being able to smote a creature and coat them in stone, or being able to create worlds (I.E. genesis)). Most will probably have spell casting (an unfortunate side effect of high powered characters and monsters, the only way to stay viable is through spell casting), so something about what sort of spellcasting they would be best at would probably also be helpful.
    Choose any god you want. I have my Monster Mythology book right here (which also contains some ideas on their tactics and powers), so I'll be sure to post any fluff you need.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Let's Read the Monster Manual II!

Dwarf Cleric avatar by azuyomi244. Thanks!

Saurial Soulknife avatar by Serpentine. Thanks!

Warforged Fighter Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LOTRfan View Post
    Choose any god you want. I have my Monster Mythology book right here (which also contains some ideas on their tactics and powers), so I'll be sure to post any fluff you need.
    I would love to do Berronar Truesilver. She seems like a very interesting god. What CR should I be aiming for? Roughly 30-40?
    Current Project: Campaign Setting

My deviantArt.

Extra fabulous avatar by Serpentine.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    NOTHING is simple. NO EXCEPTIONS. No, not even that.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Berronar Truesilver is an Intermediate Goddess (no divine rank given), so I guess the mid-to-late 30s sounds good.

Berronar Truesilver is wife of Moradin, Mother of Durgmaren Brightmantle, and adoptive mother of the Dwarven race as a whole. Berronar is mainly a defender/healing goddess. She is mostly worshiped by mothers or housekeepers, along with archivists and loremasters. It is said she has the greatest library of dwarven history even collected, including genealogies, histories of settlements, and lists of achievements.

It is also said that she looks after the poor and homeless. Occasionally, she finds subtle ways to bring luck and fortune to such people (legends say she cuts a lock of her hair, which turns to gold overnight). Dwarven marriages are done in her honor, with a priest dedicated to her overseeing the ceremony. Because she is always described as wearing two enchanted rings, it is customary for dwarven lovers to exchange rings at the ceremony.

Berronar is said to reveal omens to her clergy through the discovery of ancient caverns and symbolic items.

Berronar herself is described as a powerfully built dwarven woman, wearing enchanted chain mail and wielding a powerful mace (her favored weapon). She wears two magic rings. It is said that she always knows when one is lying (perhaps continuous discern lies effect?), and that rogues are less efficient in her presence. Her exact size is not mentioned, but since Clangeddin is considered special because he is Huge, she must be large or smaller.

Berronar's followers are guardians and protectors of the dwarven clans, and also work as healers of the sick. A special branch of all-female Morndinsamman paladins, referred to as Valkyries, are her main military servants. Other than this, all the inner workings of the clergy dedicated to her is up for interpretation and fluffing.

That's all the lore I have of her. Is this sufficient?
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2011-03-31 at 09:50 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Very much so. I will get started tomorrow probably, and I might not finish until tomorrow night, just letting you know. Fortunately, I just finished up preeetty much every other project I was working on, so my time is essentially free.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Very much so. I will get started tomorrow probably, and I might not finish until tomorrow night, just letting you know. Fortunately, I just finished up preeetty much every other project I was working on, so my time is essentially free.
    Take as much time as you need. There is no rush. Thanks for being willing to do it.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Take as much time as you need. There is no rush. Thanks for being willing to do it.
    No problem; I love statting up epic monsters, especially gods. The balance will always be slightly off, but it is fun to crunch the numbers.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, Faiths and Pantheons has a little more information on her as well, mainly dealing with her clergy.

Oddly, despite the fact that Faiths and Pantheons stats out many, many gods, the racial gods have no statblocks at all. I guess that's a good thing, though. More homebrewing that way.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, Faiths and Pantheons has a little more information on her as well, mainly dealing with her clergy.

Oddly, despite the fact that Faiths and Pantheons stats out many, many gods, the racial gods have no statblocks at all. I guess that's a good thing, though. More homebrewing that way.
    And the Homebrew tends to be almost certainly better than the WotC versions... (not to be saying that I am better than the WotC designers, just that they had very, very, very little creativity. )

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

And the Homebrew tends to be almost certainly better than the WotC versions... (not to be saying that I am better than the WotC designers, just that they had very, very, very little creativity. )
    That is most definitely true.

Faiths and Pantheons also adds five new deities to the Morndinsamman (not including Laduguer and Deep Duerra, who left). Most of them overlap with the original deities, though (war goddess, healing goddess, god of protection, etc.).

Does anyone think they be included in this project?

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

That is most definitely true.

Faiths and Pantheons also adds five new deities to the Morndinsamman (not including Laduguer and Deep Duerra, who left). Most of them overlap with the original deities, though (war goddess, healing goddess, god of protection, etc.).

Does anyone think they be included in this project?
    Probably not. Gods or goddesses that overlap simply don't exist in that many cultures, and considering how efficient the dwarves are, it seems weird that they would have superfluous gods.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Berronar is done.

Spoiler
    Show
    Berronar Truesilver

Medium Outsider
    Cloistered Cleric 20
    Greater (Divine Rank 16) Deity
    HD 40d8+20d6+480 (920 hp)
    Speed 60 ft. (12 squares)
    Init: +30
    AC 64; touch 49; flat-footed 60 (+4 Dex, +5 Armor, +15 Def, +10 Nat, +20 Sacred)
    BAB +50; Grp +69
    Attacks: Warheit +110 melee (6d10+46+10d10)
    Full-attack: Warheit +110/+110/+105/+100/+95 melee (6d10+46+10d10)
    Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
    Special Attacks Touch of the Exalted Gods, Spells, Salient Divine Abilities, Protection of the Earth, Featherwall, Summon Archons, Brush of the Angel’s Wings
    Special Qualities Aura of the Ancient Mother, Damage Reduction 60/--, Stoneskin, Regeneration 100, Ancient Luck, Telepathy 1000 ft., SR 65, Sight of the True Mother, Strike of the Watcher
    Saves Fort +54 Ref +50 Will +61
    Abilities Str 18, Dex 18, Con 26, Int 24, Wis 40, Cha 28
    Skills Diplomacy +111, Knowledge (History) +70, Knowledge (Religion) +70, Knowledge (Architecture) +70, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) +70, Spot +78, Listen +78, Heal +78, Sense Motive +72, Concentration +71, Gather Information +76, Craft (Weaponsmithing) +70, Knowledge (the Planes) +70, Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty) +30
    Feats Sacred Vow, Nimbus of Light, Holy Radiance, Stigmata, Improved Initiative, Divine Might, Eyes in the Back of Your Head, Mindsight, Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, Shocktrooper, Perfect Emanation (True Seeing), Polyglot, Positive Energy Aura, Superior Initiative, Automatic Quicken Spell, Epic Reputation, Skill Focus (Diplomacy), Purify Spell, Domain Focus (Healing)
    Environment Celestia
    Organization Morndinsamman
    Challenge Rating 36
    Treasure Quintuple standard, plus Obdach, Hoffnung, Wahrheit, and Eintracht
    Alignment Lawful Good

Combat
    Berronar is proficient with Warhammers, Light, and Medium armor.

Touch of the Exalted Gods (Su): Berronar may grace a creature with but a touch, imparting upon them some part of her exalted essence. As a standard action, Berronar may touch a creature, and grant that creature a bonus to all Ability scores equal to her Wisdom modifier for a period of one hour, and grant them a bonus to all Saves, Checks, and Rolls for the same amount of time. She may use this ability on any creature that worships her without need for touch.

Spells: Berronar casts Divine spells as a level 20 Cloistered Cleric, with the Knowledge, Healing, Protection, Dwarf, and Earth domains.
    Spells per Day: 6/9/9/9/8/8/7/7/6/6, plus one domain spell slot of each spell level.

Salient Divine Abilities: Automatic Metamagic, Clearsight (Eyes), Control Creatures, Gift of Life, Life and Death, Mass Life and Death, Grow Creatures, Instant Counterspell, Know Death, Know Secrets, Power of Truth, Divine Earth Mastery, Divine Skill Focus (Diplomacy), Divine Recall (Birth), Lay Quest, Sunder and Disjoin.

Protection of the Earth (Su): Berronar may grant a creature protection that is given from the earth, protection from harm and death. She may grant one creature within 16 miles Damage Reduction equal to twice her Divine Rank, for a number of minutes equal to her Divine Rank.

Featherwall (Su): Berronar may summon a wall of feathers which heal allies and harm enemies as a full round action. The wall is 200 feet long, and 100 feet high. Any ally that walks through it heals 16d10 plus Berronar’s Wisdom modifier hit points, and any enemy that walks through it takes 16d10 plus Berronar’s Wisdom modifier damage.

Summon Archons (Su): Berronar may summon Archons of Celestia to come to her aid. Once per day, as a full round action, Berronar may summon 1d8+4 Lantern Archons, 1d4+2 Hound Archons, or 1d2+1 Sword Archons.

Brush of the Angel’s Wings (Su): Berronar may brush the wings of the angel upon her allies, removing their wounds, and filling their minds with hope. As a move action, Berronar may heal all allies within 30 feet for 16d10+100 hit points, and she gains a fly speed equal to three times her base land speed for 4 rounds, as giant white wings sprout from her back. After using this ability, she must wait 1d4+4 rounds before using it again.

Aura of the Ancient Mother (Su): Berronar is surrounded by an aura of comfort and condolence, protection and healing. All allies within 16 miles gain Fast Healing 16, and gain a +16 Sacred bonus to Armor Class and Saves.

Stoneskin (Ex): Berronar’s skin is literally made from a superhard stone. She ignores the first 300 points of damage she takes each encounter. She may spend a fourth level or higher spell slot to bring this total damage back up to full.

Regeneration (Ex): Berronar regrows herself constantly. This is not bypassed by any damage type or effect.

Ancient Luck (Su): Berronar has the ancient luck of the gods on her side, and she grants it to those that she passes. As a free action that can be taken at any time, Berronar may allow a creature to reroll one check that they attempted within the current round. She may only use this ability once on a single roll.

Telepathy (Su): Berronar can communicate with others without the need for speech. She may only communicate with others if they can speak a language.

Sight of the True Mother (Ex): Berronar’s eyes are able to pierce through the defenses of her opponents, and even allow her to perceive their weaknesses. Berronar gains an Insight bonus to all attack and damage rolls equal to her Wisdom modifier.

Strike of the Watcher (Ex): Berronar is indisputably tied to the strength of the earth. All melee attacks she makes deal an additional 10d10 bludgeoning damage, as the earth shores itself into her, and bolsters her weapon.

Obdach
    Obdach is the ancient armor crafted by Moradin for his wife, to ever protect her and those under her purview, the needy and less fortunate. Obdach is forged from the strongest metals that Moradin could find, the hardest steels he could pull from the depths of the planes he created. He spun them together, wove them into rings, like the rings Berronar had forged for him, to consecrate their love. He wove them into hundreds of thousands of rings, to allow his love to forever protect her. He sanctified it, bathed it in rose water for 1000 days and 1000 nights, and cast his most powerful spells into it.

When he was done, he had created Obdach. Berronar never had to worry for her safety after that.

Obdach grants a +10 Armor bonus, and has no limit to the Dexterity bonus applied to armor class, and no armor check penalty. It weighs almost nothing.
    In addition, Obdach can harbor refugees in itself. It casts the effect of Ropetrick on at most 50 creatures within sight of the wielder of the armor. Those creatures are sucked away into their own individual extraplanar chambers where they can live comfortably until the end of their days. If they die, the soul immediately goes to the halls of the dwarven lords, and the body is teleported to any family the creature possessed’s location. This may only affect dwarfs that worship Moradin or a god of the Morndinsamman, and dwarfs that are either lawful or good.
    Obdach was made with a Caster Level of 75, and if dispelled, transports the creatures being held inside directly to any family they possess, or close acquaintances, as chosen by the creature held inside.
    The extraplanar locations from this armor cannot be entered if they are occupied.

Hoffnung
    Hoffnung is one of the rings crafted by Berronar. She made four, original, but gave two to her husband, Moradin, to consecrate her love to him. In return, he gave her Obdach. Hoffnung represents hope, one of the eternal qualities of their marriage. It was forged from the blood of the primordial gods, and from the iron found mined from Mount Celestia. When Moradin first mined the great mount, his wife told him to save some of the best ore. She took it, and made from it Hoffnung, Eintracht, Wahrheit, Ausdauer, Leibevoll and Blitzschlag, giving Ausdauer, Leibevoll, and Blitzschlag to her husband, and keeping the others for herself.

Hoffnung makes the bearer immune to all Mind affecting spells and abilities, and grants them a +15 morale bonus to all attack and damage rolls. In addition, all allies of the bearer within 100 yards of the bearer gain a +15 bonus to will saves.

When Hoffnung, Eintracht, Ausdauer, and Leibevoll are all worn together within 50 feet of each other, the bonuses double.

Eintracht
    Eintracht was one of the rings created by Berronar. She kept the rings of hope and harmony for herself, to represent her commitment to their marriage, giving Moradin the rings of Perseverance and Love. Eintracht represents harmony. It appears to be a huge number of braids twisted together into complex loops and swirls.

Eintracht grants its bearer a +15 morale bonus to Diplomacy, Bluff, Intimidate, Sense Motive, and Gather Information checks. In addition, the bearer gains Telepathy out to 100 feet. If the bearer already has telepathy, their telepathy increases by a factor of 10 (this is already calculated into Berronar’s stat block).

When Hoffnung, Eintracht, Ausdauer, and Leibevoll are all worn together within 50 feet of each other, the bonuses double, and the distance of the bearer’s telepathy increases by a factor of two.

Wahrheit
    Wahrheit was fashioned at the same time as Hoffnung, Eintracht, Ausdauer, Leibevoll and Blitzschlag, giving Ausdauer, Leibevoll, and Blitzschlag. It is an example of a pure concept. Wahrheit represents the idea of Truth to the fullest. The phrase “strike the white hammer” is often said to mean “speak the truth.” Warheit is made from Orichalcum, the pure steel that is mined from Mount Celestia. Unlike other Orichalcum, which has a pink hue, Wahrheit is a pure white, a byproduct of the secret forging process that Berronar used. When it strikes an opponent, a pure ringing is made, which makes itself distinct over the din of combat, not even requiring a listen check to hear, as long as the bearer is within seeing distance of the person trying to hear the sound.

Wahrheit is a +10 Fiery Blast Mace of Speed. Any opponent that is hit by the weapon cannot tell a lie for a period of one month. If they attempt to, they take 2d6 Wisdom damage, but still tell the truth. If they attempt to tell a lie more than once per day, they must make a Will save (DC 70) or go Insane, as the spell.

When Wahrheit is used within 50 feet of Blitzschlag, it deals double damage, and the duration of the no lying effect upon a creature doubles as well.
    Last edited by unosarta; 2011-04-26 at 06:35 PM.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

It looks good so far, but her Hit Points should be 920 (Deities get maximum Hit Points).

Cloistered Cleric is a variant from UA, right?

I cannot wait to see the fluff/stats for Obdach, Hoffnung, Warheit, and Entracht.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

It looks good so far, but her Hit Points should be 920 (Deities get maximum Hit Points).

Cloistered Cleric is a variant from UA, right?

I cannot wait to see the fluff/stats for Obdach, Hoffnung, Warheit, and Entracht.
    Oh shoot, good point.

Yes.

Obdach means Shelter, and is her Mail. Hoffnung and Eintracht are Hope and Harmony, respectively, and are the rings that she wears. Wahrheit means truth, and is her Mace. Still need some ideas for Obdach, but I think I have Hoffnung and Eitracht down, concept wise, and Wahrheit shouldn't be too hard.
    [Edit]: The names are in German. It seemed to fit the Dwarves the best.
    Last edited by unosarta; 2011-04-02 at 02:20 PM.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #44
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

On the derro: The derro have their own gods, a pair of backstabbyriffic brothers. Perhaps, much like the ideological split with Laduguer lead to the duregar splitting off from the dwarven stock per canon, the derro could be individuals who once followed the brothers (at that time among the most beloved dwarven gods) very closely, unless they did something cocky and foolish and ended up with bits of their minds as Ilsensine's brunch. The favoured souls of the gods were driven mad by some backlash.

This may perhaps also help explain why only the most strong-willed and capable priests are granted high-level spells by the gods these days.
    Brewing a new setting (3.5 ed D&D). The setting is complete and ready to play.
    Indeed, here is the recruitment thread for the first run.
    The above post was probably snide, snippy, tongue in cheek and/or opinionated. Consult your sense of humour before vexation. If still vexed, attempt to cease giving a damn. Thank you for reading this public service bulletin.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Berronar Truesilver is done. That took me longer than I had hoped it would have (unfortunately, it was also the time that Djinn_In_Tonic decided to put out the Monster Contest ).

[Edit]: Crap, forgot her items.
    Last edited by unosarta; 2011-04-02 at 08:19 PM.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

It's amazing! I especially like the wall of feathers.

The BAB is wrong, though. As an Outsider with 40 HD, she has a +40 bonus without the +10 epic bonus, so the BAB should be +50. I cannot tell with the saves, though.
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2011-04-02 at 08:34 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

It's amazing! I especially like the wall of feathers.

The BAB is wrong, though. As an Outsider with 40 HD, she has a +40 bonus without the +10 epic bonus, so the BAB should be +50. I cannot tell with the saves, though.
    I keep on doing BAB as characters, not monsters.

I really love what I have for the items so far, but I have only done Obdach and Hoffnung, and I am like halfway through Eintracht, and then I have to do Warheit.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

If you statted Berronar as a character, I assume the saves are off, too? Also, where does she get the +20 grapple from? her strengths core gives her +4. Do one of her magic items grant the extra +16, or did I miss something in the srd that deities get a bonus to grapple check equal to their divine rank (both are possible)?

Also, speaking of divine rank, wouldn't she be a greater deity at Rank 16?

I cannot wait to see the magical items.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

If you statted Berronar as a character, I assume the saves are off, too? Also, where does she get the +20 grapple from? her strengths core gives her +4. Do one of her magic items grant the extra +16, or did I miss something in the srd that deities get a bonus to grapple check equal to their divine rank (both are possible)?

Also, speaking of divine rank, wouldn't she be a greater deity at Rank 16?

I cannot wait to see the magical items.
    All of the artifacts are up.

Deities gain a bonus to all saves, rolls, checks, and pretty much everything equal to their Divine Rank.

I will go lower her to 15.
    This could take some time.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Wouldn't it just be easier if we just make her a Greater Deity?

I mean, this is a homebrew project, so we can stray from established fluff a little.

EDIT: I love the artifacts, and especially the fluff! The rings are amazing, much better than what Monster Mythology hinted at, and far more interesting. I really like the mechanical that doubles all benefits if the four rings are within 30 ft. of each other. It really shows Berronar's and Moradin's devotion to one another.

Wahrheit is also very, very cool. I think you've integrated every single aspect of the fluff I mentioned into the mechanics of both Berronar herself and her equipment. Very impressive.
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2011-04-02 at 09:41 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Wouldn't it just be easier if we just make her a Greater Deity?

I mean, this is a homebrew project, so we can stray from established fluff a little.

EDIT: I love the artifacts, and especially the fluff! The rings are amazing, much better than what Monster Mythology hinted at, and far more interesting. I really like the mechanical that doubles all benefits if the four rings are within 30 ft. of each other. It really shows Berronar's and Moradin's devotion to one another.

Wahrheit is also very, very cool. I think you've integrated every single aspect of the fluff I mentioned into the mechanics of both Berronar herself and her equipment. Very impressive.
    After I already did it.
    Oh well. I will go make her a greater deity. And I was wondering that, since the Morndinsamman basically describe themselves as being the only ones...

Also; don't mess with Berronar and Moradin when they are together. Seriously. Blitzschlag and Wahrheit are not fun to face against when they are around each other, especially not when they are being wielded by gods.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

After I already did it.
    Oh well. I will go make her a greater deity. And I was wondering that, since the Morndinsamman basically describe themselves as being the only ones...

Also; don't mess with Berronar and Moradin when they are together. Seriously. Blitzschlag and Wahrheit are not fun to face against when they are around each other, especially not when they are being wielded by gods.
    No, no, I said that to make your life easier! You don't have to change it back! It was just a suggestion so you didn't have to go back to change it.

EDIT: Hopefully, you'll read the above before you do anything. If not, don't sweat it, it's fine either way. I just didn't want to make you backtrack and fix everything.
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2011-04-02 at 09:48 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

And I was wondering that, since the Morndinsamman basically describe themselves as being the only ones...
    I forget which source I found that in (probably one of the early ones), but according to it most pantheons tell their worshipers that they are the only gods, and that the other races either worship powerful (but not as powerful) outsiders, or even their gods under a different name. It also mentions that it was up to the DM to decide which ones were "real" and which ones weren't. It seems TSR got rid of that line of thinking in 2e, where the gods are mentioned as actively interacting with mortals.

Since the legends are supposed to be from the point of view of the Morndinsamman's holy texts, I thought I should mention that.

I wouldn't want to be the one getting attacked, that's for sure.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

No, no, I said that to make your life easier! You don't have to change it back! It was just a suggestion so you didn't have to go back to change it.

EDIT: Hopefully, you'll read the above before you do anything. If not, don't sweat it, it's fine either way. I just didn't want to make you backtrack and fix everything.
    Meh it's fine. She is a greater deity now. I kind of like her a lot. I would definitely play a cleric or paladin who worshiped her, maybe over Moradin. Or I could just do both. Meh.

Also; tag-team Cleric who worships Berronar and Paladin who worships Moradin... and who are also married.

This needs to happen.

I forget which source I found that in (probably one of the early ones), but according to it most pantheons tell their worshipers that they are the only gods, and that the other races either worship powerful (but not as powerful) outsiders, or even their gods under a different name. It also mentions that it was up to the DM to decide which ones were "real" and which ones weren't. It seems TSR got rid of that line of thinking in 2e, where the gods are mentioned as actively interacting with mortals.

Since the legends are supposed to be from the point of view of the Morndinsamman's holy texts, I thought I should mention that.
    Well, yeah. But, honestly, that just involves scaling the power level up, and allows for more minor deities, which seems like a good thing. And if Moradin and Berronar are more of a pair than a "female dwarf married to a dwarf god," then it makes sense for her to have a higher Divine Rank.

I wouldn't want to be the one getting attacked, that's for sure.
    Blitzschrag is going to be more like Mjollnir, Thor's hammer, but an Axe (if memory serves me right; I think Moradin wields an Axe).

Also, you might want to include something about giants in the origination, just to tie it in with the Dwarven hate for giants (from the Racial statistic standpoint).

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Also; tag-team Cleric who worships Berronar and Paladin who worships Moradin... and who are also married.

This needs to happen.
    Definitely.

Since we are currently working on Berronar anyway, we probably should work on her for a while. She already has substitution levels, but a prestige class is an order. Any ideas?

In the meantime, I think some more stories about Berronar are an order, perhaps to explain the significance of her holy days and her artifacts.

Also, do you think her Valkyries should have a separate code of conduct compared to "standard" Morndinsamman Paladins, or should they share a unique code of conduct?

Blitzschrag is going to be more like Mjollnir, Thor's hammer, but an Axe (if memory serves me right; I think Moradin wields an Axe).
    I'm away from my books, so I don't know for sure, but wikipedia lists his favored weapon as the warhammer. It could very well be an axe, though, as there are no rules dictating deities have to

Also, you might want to include something about giants in the origination, just to tie it in with the Dwarven hate for giants (from the Racial statistic standpoint).
    Since the giant-dwarf enmity seems to be new to 3.0, there is no official explanation, so I'm currently working on that.

Currently, I have the giants as pawns of the Titans; warriors who enslaved and tortured Moradin's favorite creations, the Firstborn. They, like everyone else, were at first immortal, until Abbathor and Laduguer created the Negative Energy Plane. This allowed the deities to kill the giants, but also killed the first dwarves; the wounds they sustained from the giants were mortal, but it wasn't until Abbathor and Laduguer forged death that they actually could die from the wounds.

This could also serve to be the breaking point in the relationship between Laduguer and the rest of the Morndinsamman.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Icedaemon View Post
    On the derro: The derro have their own gods, a pair of backstabbyriffic brothers. Perhaps, much like the ideological split with Laduguer lead to the duregar splitting off from the dwarven stock per canon, the derro could be individuals who once followed the brothers (at that time among the most beloved dwarven gods) very closely, unless they did something cocky and foolish and ended up with bits of their minds as Ilsensine's brunch. The favoured souls of the gods were driven mad by some backlash.

This may perhaps also help explain why only the most strong-willed and capable priests are granted high-level spells by the gods these days.
    This could be interesting. Ilsensine was the Mind Flayer's god in 2e, right? The 3.5e fluff made it obsolete, but I can still find a way to work it in there (perhaps Ilsensine saw the Mind Flayers as the perfect creation, and thus emulated their form?)

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Definitely.

Since we are currently working on Berronar anyway, we probably should work on her for a while. She already has substitution levels, but a prestige class is an order. Any ideas?
    Good idea. A prestige class for Berronar would likely work more with her matronly and healing association than her warlike properties.

So, something as a base could be the Ollam, only not a ****ty class, with actual class features, and focusing on healing more than... nothing at all.

I like what the Ollam is aspiring to be, but it epically fails on the way to getting there. Seriously, the fluff for the Ollam is exactly what a Favored of Berronar would be like.

In the meantime, I think some more stories about Berronar are an order, perhaps to explain the significance of her holy days and her artifacts.
    I like the idea of playing up her matronly aspect, since most of her abilities have to do with war.

Fluffy Fluff Flufftastic Fluff

When the wars with the titans first took place, Berronar was not at the front lines, with her husband, defeating the elder gods. She was behind them, guiding the dwarves who fought, healing the sick and wounded, and bringing peace to those around her. She summoned great archons, heavenly angels, and hosts of stalwart defenders. She was known throughout the soldiers and dwarves, even more so than Moradin. She was the healer, and preserver.

After the war, she had nothing to do. Moradin was constantly creating, forging, and protecting her people. She was alone, left with the children, the elders, the ancient and wise. But utterly alone. So, she told stories. She told her children of the ancient gods, the golden vines of their orchards that stretch for miles. She told them of the ways that her and her husband had defeated the titans, the 108 months it had taken to defeat the armies, the sacrifices, and the sadness. And she told them of the joy, the love, the courage, and the hope that came with that victory. When the men, the women came back, she told them of their history, she told them of their children, of their children's children. She told them of their ancestors, of the ancient halls of Arcadia, of the thundering dens of Ysgard, where the warriors eat and drink, and of the silent halls of the watching women, who shed tears for the coming battles. The halls where their mothers would soon sleep, the halls where their people lived, after the death that had come for them. She told them, she sang to them, and she buried, deep in their hearts, the joy of knowledge, of crafts, of creation, to offset the joys of war and destruction. She instilled in them the wonder of history, as her husband instilled in them the ancient battle that will always reign.

For Berranor knew. She knew that one day would come, when she would be able to do nothing for her people. She knew there would come a crossroad, a turning point, and she would be held back, paralyzed by the divine laws that gave her power. And she feared it.

Berranor had long ago learned of the Third Sight. She had Seen the First Sight, with her eyes. She had seen the world as it truly was. And she had Seen the Second Sight, into the minds of her people, and beheld their thoughts. And, she had Seen the Third Sight, long ago, allowing her to see across land and plane and sky and sea. The Third Sight allowed her to watch her husband, and weep for his battles. The Third Sight allowed her to watch her children, and cry for their wounds.

But she had gone further. She learned of the Fourth Sight. To see through the veil of time. Each time she parted that veil, she lost a shade of color in her left Iris. One of her brilliant blue eyes would turn black if she used her power too much. But she could not help herself. She had the wisdom to know not to use it, but not the will power to stop herself. So, she looked deep into the future, too deep to be foreseen by anyone other than herself, and saw the final battle. She knew it was coming. And then, to stop herself from using it again, she cast out her eye, placing it in the highest pedestal of the great halls of the Dwarven Lords. She placed it there, and created thirteen wards, a ward of water, earth, fire, air, bone, steel, ash, diamond, wood, stone, adamantine, mercury, and glass. Together, they formed a great sphere around the eye, the greatest protection she could bestow upon it. and with that, she never parted the veil again, never looked for the future. For she knew; if she were too look for the future, she would eventually live there, forever in the future, and never in the present.

She sated herself with that one sight. And it was enough. She could use the Third Sight, and that was enough to help her children, enough to save them time and time again.

Also, do you think her Valkyries should have a separate code of conduct compared to "standard" Morndinsamman Paladins, or should they share a unique code of conduct?
    Definitely. Valkyries seem more like a group of Paladins who help, rather than Paladins who bring justice. They heal the sick, tend the wounded, protect the innocent, and save the poor. They do not destroy evil, or judge others. You could probably make a feat to burn a Smite Evil attempt to heal all allies within 30 feet for some amount of damage, with a prerequisite of worshiping Berranor.

I'm away from my books, so I don't know for sure, but wikipedia lists his favored weapon as the warhammer. It could very well be an axe, though, as there are no rules dictating deities have to
    Warhammer could work as well, and would be even more similar to Mjollnir.

Since the giant-dwarf enmity seems to be new to 3.0, there is no official explanation, so I'm currently working on that.

Currently, I have the giants as pawns of the Titans; warriors who enslaved and tortured Moradin's favorite creations, the Firstborn. They, like everyone else, were at first immortal, until Abbathor and Laduguer created the Negative Energy Plane. This allowed the deities to kill the giants, but also killed the first dwarves; the wounds they sustained from the giants were mortal, but it wasn't until Abbathor and Laduguer forged death that they actually could die from the wounds.

This could also serve to be the breaking point in the relationship between Laduguer and the rest of the Morndinsamman.
    This works for me. Cool.
    Last edited by unosarta; 2011-04-02 at 11:07 PM.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Good idea. A prestige class for Berronar would likely work more with her matronly and healing association than her warlike properties.

So, something as a base could be the Ollam, only not a ****ty class, with actual class features, and focusing on healing more than... nothing at all.

I like what the Ollam is aspiring to be, but it epically fails on the way to getting there. Seriously, the fluff for the Ollam is exactly what a Favored of Berronar would be like.

I like the idea of playing up her matronly aspect, since most of her abilities have to do with war.
    Where is the Ollam? Let's see what is salvageable.

Fluffy Fluff Flufftastic Fluff

When the wars with the titans first took place, Berronar was not at the front lines, with her husband, defeating the elder gods. She was behind them, guiding the dwarves who fought, healing the sick and wounded, and bringing peace to those around her. She summoned great archons, heavenly angels, and hosts of stalwart defenders. She was known throughout the soldiers and dwarves, even more so than Moradin. She was the healer, and preserver.

After the war, she had nothing to do. Moradin was constantly creating, forging, and protecting her people. She was alone, left with the children, the elders, the ancient and wise. But utterly alone. So, she told stories. She told her children of the ancient gods, the golden vines of their orchards that stretch for miles. She told them of the ways that her and her husband had defeated the titans, the 108 months it had taken to defeat the armies, the sacrifices, and the sadness. And she told them of the joy, the love, the courage, and the hope that came with that victory. When the men, the women came back, she told them of their history, she told them of their children, of their children's children. She told them of their ancestors, of the ancient halls of Arcadia, of the thundering dens of Ysgard, where the warriors eat and drink, and of the silent halls of the watching women, who shed tears for the coming battles. The halls where their mothers would soon sleep, the halls where their people lived, after the death that had come for them. She told them, she sang to them, and she buried, deep in their hearts, the joy of knowledge, of crafts, of creation, to offset the joys of war and destruction. She instilled in them the wonder of history, as her husband instilled in them the ancient battle that will always reign.

For Berranor knew. She knew that one day would come, when she would be able to do nothing for her people. She knew there would come a crossroad, a turning point, and she would be held back, paralyzed by the divine laws that gave her power. And she feared it.

Berranor had long ago learned of the Third Sight. She had Seen the First Sight, with her eyes. She had seen the world as it truly was. And she had Seen the Second Sight, into the minds of her people, and beheld their thoughts. And, she had Seen the Third Sight, long ago, allowing her to see across land and plane and sky and sea. The Third Sight allowed her to watch her husband, and weep for his battles. The Third Sight allowed her to watch her children, and cry for their wounds.

But she had gone further. She learned of the Fourth Sight. To see through the veil of time. Each time she parted that veil, she lost a shade of color in her left Iris. One of her brilliant blue eyes would turn black if she used her power too much. But she could not help herself. She had the wisdom to know not to use it, but not the will power to stop herself. So, she looked deep into the future, too deep to be foreseen by anyone other than herself, and saw the final battle. She knew it was coming. And then, to stop herself from using it again, she cast out her eye, placing it in the highest pedestal of the great halls of the Dwarven Lords. She placed it there, and created thirteen wards, a ward of water, earth, fire, air, bone, steel, ash, diamond, wood, stone, adamantine, mercury, and glass. Together, they formed a great sphere around the eye, the greatest protection she could bestow upon it. and with that, she never parted the veil again, never looked for the future. For she knew; if she were too look for the future, she would eventually live there, forever in the future, and never in the present.

She sated herself with that one sight. And it was enough. She could use the Third Sight, and that was enough to help her children, enough to save them time and time again.
    Wow. This is cool. Is this inspired by anything in particular?

I like the elder god fluff for the Titans, its very similar to the actual Greek legend. I'll switch that into the descriptions in the 2nd post.

Definitely. Valkyries seem more like a group of Paladins who help, rather than Paladins who bring justice. They heal the sick, tend the wounded, protect the innocent, and save the poor. They do not destroy evil, or judge others. You could probably make a feat to burn a Smite Evil attempt to heal all allies within 30 feet for some amount of damage, with a prerequisite of worshiping Berranor.
    Alright. I'll add that to the to do list.

This works for me. Cool.
    Alright.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Where is the Ollam? Let's see what is salvageable.
    It is in the Complete Adventurer, page 66.

Wow. This is cool. Is this inspired by anything in particular?

I like the elder god fluff for the Titans, its very similar to the actual Greek legend. I'll switch that into the descriptions in the 2nd post.
    The eye thing was mostly the similarity between the Ysgardian pantheon and the Morndinsamman, and yet no real Odin equivalent. I liked the imagery of a wife who was unable to protect her husband, who tried to look to the future, but realized she couldn't do it, and then cast out her eye. Thirteen is a very common number in Nordic mythology. A lot of it was based on her being like a mother to her people. She did what any mother does when her children are worried; she told stories. This also ties into her devoted being similar to the Ollam, who are also historians and story tellers of the dwarves. She taught them history, which then also ties into her large amount of knowledge skills, and her ability to see the future/scry.

I almost feel like her armor and weapons should be mentioned, but I think they are detailed enough in their individual descriptions.

Alright. I'll add that to the to do list.
    Okay. I am kind of thinking that it might be a good idea to give every deity a specific code for their paladins, just to help differentiate them, and make them more unique as characters. There could be a general code for characters that worship more than one of the Morndinsamman.
    Last edited by unosarta; 2011-04-02 at 11:29 PM.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, assuming that Paladins must follow the one-step rule of the clerics, the deities capable of having Paladins are:

Moradin (Lawful Good)
    Berronar Truesilver (Lawful Good)
    Clangeddin Silverbeard (Lawful Good)
    Muamman Duathal (Neutral Good, one step from Lawful Good)

Deities who cannot have Paladins are:

Abbathor (Lawful Evil, two steps away from Lawful Good)
    Dugmaren Brightmantle (Chaotic Good, two steps away from Lawful Good)
    Dumathoin (Neutral, two steps away from Lawful Good)
    Vergadain (Neutral, two steps away from Lawful Good)