New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Legend of Starlight: IC Thread

*This thread is restricted to those who are playing in the Legend of Starlight Campaign, obviously*

Link to OOC Thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...6#post14792986

Chapter One: To where nopony has tread before...

Six young ponies are brought before the court of Celestia, each accomplished in their own field, lauded by their fellowponies and each with a bright future. Several are brave warriors, but their skills go beyond merely defense of the kingdom. A great ceremony is held, and both the Princesses of the Kingdom attend. Luna seems to take particular interest in the special project, which these six chosen ponies will oversee.

Only a few months ago, the Starlight Valley was uncovered, the ruins of an ancient pony civilization, spoken of in myths but never before found. More importantly, starlight ore is abundant in the region. This material is very important to keeping Equstria safe through it's ability to shed bright light and ward the kingdom from evil forces, and all known mines have been depleted nearly a century ago.

After your names are announced: Sunchaser the Valiant, Raider the Swift, Compass Chaser the Tracker, Shadowreed the Trickster, Harvest Moon the Talented, and Eversparkle the Scholar. Everyone celebrates your nomination, and after nearly a day of revelries, you speak with Luna and Celestia, as well as the head Archeologist, the fabled Artemis Solan. A bit old, he still managed to take a small team into the valley and find the ruins on an expedition he funded himself.

They explain to you that you'll be securing the Valley so that a small outpost can be set up, eventually growing into a town. A vanguard, including you six, will be sent by train and then foot, to the valley. Artemis will be joining you as well, but the majority of his team will be staying behind to research the artifacts they brought back.

You'll be out of the realm of Equestria entirely, and the region is full of more primitive creatures, particularly Ursine tribes, and Artemis speaks of strange and wonderful creatures which inhabit the region, some of which are quite dangerous. Regardless, it will be quite a task.

Finally, after what seems an eternity of listening, you head out.

A train takes you from the central station, along with a squad of Equestrian Guard Ponies who aren't particularly talkative.

Regardless you have time to talk among yourselves on the train ride, get to know each other, since before you spent most of your time with friends and family, preparing to go away for some time.

Around you the countryside passes by, each pony anticipates what is to come.
    Last edited by artofregicide; 2013-03-02 at 01:51 AM.
    "If I've learned anything, it's to fear nothing."

Plays in Noble Trouble

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Legend of Starlight: IC Thread

The conductor comes back, to inform you:

"It'll be at least ten hours till we get to the last station, but there'll be refreshments in an hour or two. Until then, enjoy the ride."

One of the guard ponies complains:

"Can we move any slower? I signed up for action, not a train ride."

Plays in Noble Trouble

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

A unicorn pony with billiant, light-blue skin sits fidgeting on the train. She alternates between looling out the windows at the passing scenary, and back into what appears to be a large, heavy tome that is...floating...and turning its own pages. "Take a memo, Homer. Today, as we leave Canterlot Central Station, we are about to be a part of...neigh...not just be a part of, but about to make HISTORY! I've always read a lot about history, but to be a part of something so important in the here and now is soooo exciting, and I can't wait to get there!"

The floating boak seems to be able to magically write in its own pages, and then, using some sort of magic (maybe prestidigitation), it wrote a brief message in the air (that disappears after a short while) saying, "But we're not even there yet."

The unicorn replies, "I know I know! Why aren't we there yet? Conductor, are we there yet, are we there yet?" She seems very...energetic.

Spoiler
    Show
    Drawing of Eversparkle:

Link to OOC thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...6#post14792986
    Last edited by Frosty; 2013-03-21 at 08:01 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4

I sigh. "Eversparkle, we aren't there yet since we aren't there yet even though I wish we were there. Didn't you hear the conductor?10 hours to go. However, we'll be there, so it's all fine, calm down."
    Last edited by Techmagss; 2013-03-02 at 03:34 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Used to be dumb. Now I'm not. Rock on, everyone!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Compass Chaser doesn't say much- he's never been a talkitive pony, especially around strangers. Mostly he just looks out the window a little, or looks to his beloved husky, Snowball. Snowball seems to be enjoying herself on the train ride, though she may get a little antsier a few more hours in...
    Trying to be helpful, Compass Chaser pulls out one of his maps and shows it to Eversparkle. "See, we're right here right now..." he points to a point on his map- "And the Starlight Valley is here." He points beyond the map, a point on the table where the valley would hypothetically be, were the map a little longer.
    Today is the day to sing to people while asleep.

Sometimes it takes me a few days to respond to comments directed to me on a thread I've posted in. Please don't think I'm ignoring you, it can just sometimes take me a while to formulate a response.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

A dark blue unicorn sits in one of the corner seats of the cart. It takes a moment to recognize who he was from the ceremony; Shadowreed, though the black cloak he had worn at the time now sits folded next to him on top of what seems to be a pile of leaves saved from last fall. At the peak of the pile though is a black cat with a single white stripe down its back.

For a while, he was just looking out the window, apparently deep in thought after the ceremony. On hearing the slightest bit of conversation though, his horn glows and a bit of blue magic brings down an old looking black harmonica to his hooves, looking quite like the mark on his flank.

He taps his hoof for rhythm and for soft percussion, while he plays a blues scale to sing along to.
    "Patience is a virtue,
    for those who explore.
    Legend is ours to pursue~

but there's 10 hours to go!
    Just need something to do."

He follows up his little song with an energetic melody, ready to continue it indefinitely if needed, having found his entertainment for the ride. He comes back to his sing-along blues though to speak in song, looking right at Raider.

"Now Raider.
    I heard you were swift.
    Just what did you do,
    to come on this trip?"
    Last edited by King_of_GRiffins; 2013-03-02 at 12:42 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

7. - Top - End - #7

I look at this singing pony. ""Well, erm. I really came along just to manage the weather. You might have already guessed since I'm one of the better weather ponies. I'm quite fast, yes. I have no idea how I was selected, I cannot remember." He looks around and mutters to himself. "Is everypony but me sent out a complete nutter..."
    Last edited by Techmagss; 2013-03-02 at 12:50 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8

Shadowleaf stops the music just long enough to let Raider finish speaking, before picking right up again.

"A weather pony is just fine,
    but dear Eversparkle,
    I take it you're more about the mind?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Sunchaser patrols up and down the train once or twice before settling into a seat, taking off his helmet. He's a large earth pony, with yellow fur over a powerful frame. He has a short, spiky mane and a bobbed tail, with hair that fades through several shades of blazing reds and oranges, like a sunset. He's wearing gold armor in a style much like the royal guard. His cutie mark looks like celestia's sun, half-set on the horizon. His weapon leans against the wall of the train, a massive hammer with a square, rectangular head. As the train rattles along the tracks, the hilt end ticks and taps where it rests.

He looks over the rest of the ponies in the vanguard and listens as they greet each other and complain about the length of the trip. He listens for a long while before he speaks up, his voice deep. "Complaining won't make the train go faster. We just need to try to enjoy ourselves on the way." He says, and gets to his hooves, stepping out into the isle. "We might as well get to know each other. My name's Sunchaser. I'm a guardsman."
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10

The conductor is currently not in the car. The soldier-ponies, are however, and some of them are a bit put off by the very boisterous and talkative nature of their fellow travelers.

The one who complained before boasts to the five civilian ponies (he seems to have significant respect for Sunchaser)

"You mares just remember to keep your dainty hoofs out of our way, while we professionals get the area secured. Don't want you to dirty your horseshoes..."

He is silenced by his sergeant, a strong and gruff pony that stands taller than all but Sunchaser.

"Keep in line, Guardpony. Celestia picked them for a reason, and you'll respect that."

The commander turns to Sunchaser

"Sir, we are honored to have you with us. I'm sorry about my ponies, they're pretty green and ready for action. Can't blame them for being restless..."

Plays in Noble Trouble

11. - Top - End - #11

"Probably already guessed who I am. I don't suppose one of you unicorn chaps has a chessboard?" I say, turning to Sunchaser, then the unicorns. "No? Dear. We'll have to make do."
    Last edited by Techmagss; 2013-03-02 at 06:12 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12

The blue unicorn puts down his harmonica, relaxing in his seat. "My name's Shadowreed. It's a pleasure, Sunchaser."

He looks back to Raider and starts to focus for a moment, Shadowreeds horn glowing blue as he fabricates what seems to be a cheesboard; it looks more like a cartoon image of a board than a real thing. "There's always a game board with me around. We can play a few games on the way.

Maybe we should also discuss what we'll be doing when we get to the valley first. I don't suppose we know the layout of the area?"

Spoiler
    Show

Casting Prestidignation "Prestidigitation can create small objects, but they look crude and artificial"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.

13. - Top - End - #13

"Grand. Pick a colour.""
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14

"I'll choose black." he says as he patiently waits for the first move, furrowing his brow as he begins to think.

"We'll have the guards here to help protect us while we set things up. Assuming there's no ancient structures lying about to live in, we probably want to lay a camp, and then start on seeing what we can do for more permanent shelters. I'd suggest a simple longhouse to support us first. I can have plans for one drawn up before we even get there, and if there's enough wood or solid stone, I could build it quickly as well."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

I"ll just make an intelligence roll to see how the game goes, if that sounds alright with Chris.

Int Check - (1d20+5)[23]
    Last edited by King_of_GRiffins; 2013-03-02 at 07:25 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by King_of_GRiffins View Post
    "I'll choose black." he says as he patiently waits for the first move, furrowing his brow as he begins to think.

"We'll have the guards here to help protect us while we set things up. Assuming there's no ancient structures lying about to live in, we probably want to lay a camp, and then start on seeing what we can do for more permanent shelters. I'd suggest a simple longhouse to support us first. I can have plans for one drawn up before we even get there, and if there's enough wood or solid stone, I could build it quickly as well."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

I"ll just make an intelligence roll to see how the game goes, if that sounds alright with Chris.

[roll0]
    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Okay, but may I make a bluff check to cheat at the game?
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Christ0ph3r4 View Post
    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Okay, but may I make a bluff check to cheat at the game?
    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

You can, but it really depends on how. If you're trying to swipe away pieces, it's sleight of hand. If you're trying to convince him that you can -totally- castle after being in check, that'd be bluff.

Not sure what effect we'd want it to have though. I guess you could use it as an assist to yourself for +2, if you beat sense motive? Still depends on how you want to describe your cheating.
    Last edited by King_of_GRiffins; 2013-03-02 at 07:39 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.

17. - Top - End - #17

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

EDIT: Actually changed my mind. Bluff him into castle when in check and other underhanded moves. Rolling.
    [roll]1d20+11[/roll]

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Techmagss; 2013-03-02 at 07:45 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18

Dice roll since the counter was being iffy:
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+11)[24]
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Christ0ph3r4 View Post
    Dice roll since the counter was being iffy:
    Spoiler
    Show

Sense Motive - (1d20+6)[20]
    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Sense Motive - (1d20+6)[20]

And I suppose then if you win, it's +2 to your int check?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.

20. - Top - End - #20

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Mhm. Let's roll INT
    (1d20+2)[12]

"Ugh. Blue blazing chessboard keeps falling over..." I say.
    Last edited by Techmagss; 2013-03-02 at 08:06 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground

Sunchaser cracks a grin. "No need to apologize, Sergeant. I can sympathize. We're all eager to see what lies at the end of these tracks." He said, then turned to the guardpony who'd spoken up before. "If there's anything I've learned in the princess' service, it's that there are things that a pony can't do alone. It takes all kinds. One of these ponies may well save your life." He commented, then turned back to the other ponies selected.

With some passing interest he watched as the pegasus and unicorn played chess. He wasn't good at it, himself, but he knew the rules well enough. He once had a commander who'd been convinced it was the best game ever, and had taken it upon himself to teach Sunchaser how to play. He had been a decent player, but he'd never been able to think six steps ahead. He was too rooted in the moment. Sometimes when they crossed paths again he'd let the old commander kick his butt up and down the board while they caught up.

So, when the pegasus tried to tweak the rules, he paused for a moment, pondering.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sense motive: (1d20+7)[18]
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22

Shadowreed seems entirely unsuspecting of any of the 'corrections' given out, but despite such moves to checkmate in due time. He chuckles at Raider, twirling his hoof and making the chessboard twirl likewise in the air, remaining otherwise still. "Hard to make silly illusions fall over, but a fun game anyway. I'm willing to play anyone all the way to our stop."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by King_of_GRiffins View Post
    Shadowleaf stops the music just long enough to let Raider finish speaking, before picking right up again.

"A weather pony is just fine,
    but dear Eversparkle,
    I take it you're more about the mind?"
    The other blue unicorn was only semi-interested in the chess game, but the mention of maps did...spark...her interest. She replies to the inquiries of others about her talents and why she was picked for the mission. "Well, I, Eversparlkle, *am* very studied in all of our friends of nature,in our friends of nature augmented by magic, and in what we did to get along with friends of nature oh-so-very-long ago. In fact, while I wasn't on the original expedition, my research partly helped give Artemis Solan the idea that there was even an acient pony civilization there in the first place. Digging through these ruins is gonna be SO MUCH FUN! I'm so glad you all will be joining me on this expedition. The more the merrier!"

The unicorn adds, "Oh, and I can also give other people good luck or bad luck. Oh I know people say it's hogwash, but I really can! If you want to see, why don't two of play a game of simple dice? I can like, give one of a TOTALLY evil look, and you won't play as well, and I'll use my laughter to give the other one a good 'aura' which'll make most of the dice go your way!"
    Last edited by Frosty; 2013-03-02 at 11:56 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

"I think I'll trust you on that one. Exploring ancient things is always fun though." He says, a bit wary about being 'stared' at, but smiling at her enthusiasm. He stops everything and looks around for a moment.

"Didn't we have two more with us? Where do you think Artemis and Harvest Moon are?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

"Artemis who?" asks Everparkle. "Only Artemis I ever knew was a great huntress." She sticks out a tongue. "Just kidding. I'm sure he's around somewhere."
    Last edited by Frosty; 2013-03-03 at 12:45 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

The soldiers remain mostly silent for the rest of the trip, occasionally speaking amongst themselves.

The Sergeant briefly discusses general tactics with Sunchaser, in particular asking for his aid while the guard ponies secure the ruins. It is clear that the sergeant looks up to Sunchaser, even though the commander is both older and more experienced.

Artemis keeps to himself in a separate car, buried in scrolls and books full of ancient history and his research notes. It's not that the pony isn't sociable, he just is simply to focused on his work to talk.

The conductor finally comes back with an attendant pony, and bring you fresh limeade and sandwiches.

You are informed that it is only two hours until you reach the end of the line. From there, it should be about three days walk to the Valley, if all goes well.

Plays in Noble Trouble

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Compass Chaser doesn't spend much time talking to the other ponies during the trip. After a few words said to them, he goes back to his dog. As the trip wears on, the pony decides its time to meditate. Looking out the window, he thinks about what spell he'll prepare for the long journey ahead. After a few moments, he decides on one to increase speed. It takes about an hour just to get the spell in his head, but eventually he's finished with his meditation.
    A little later, the pegasus is sipping on his limeade, half of the sandwich already eaten, the other half given to Snowball.
    Today is the day to sing to people while asleep.

Sometimes it takes me a few days to respond to comments directed to me on a thread I've posted in. Please don't think I'm ignoring you, it can just sometimes take me a while to formulate a response.

28. - Top - End - #28

Shadowreed talks politely and plays games on the illusory boards he creates. When conversation drops off he busies himself with creating toy buildings with the same power, visualizing different halls, storage houses, and watch posts that could be of use when they finally arrive. Between nibbling on lunch, imagining architectural constructs, and petting his cat, he settles in for next few hours to roll right on by if need be.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

While not an expert of architecture or anything, Everpsparkle is a fan of legos (if legos existed in this world), and is happy to use her minor powers of prestidigitation to help illusion up the ideas that Shadowreed comes up with. "Oooh, that sounds good. Let's see what it'd look like next to the tower you suggested earlier."

30. - Top - End - #30

I stay silent, slightly humiliated, occasionally eating some of my meal.
    Spoiler
    Show