New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5/E6] Rizban's E6 Compendium

Quote Originally Posted by planswalker View Post
    Green mages gain the SNA spells of appropriate levels in addition to their other spells known. By my understanding, this means a 6th level green mage spellblade gains 5 spells from off his spell list, and then the three SNA spells in addition to that. Comparatively, the priest spellblades instead use their domains as their spell lists, with no bonus spells known unless I'm missing something.
    You missed that the know Cure/Inflict of the appropriate level.

I'm in the process of redoing all the domains specifically for this system. Each domain will offer two spells at each level plus a decent granted power.

Granted, the three extra spells are rather redundant all together so it's really more like 1 extra spell known at three castable spell levels, but extra spells known seems like a very powerful thing for an at-will-limited-number-known class to have.
    I agree, but none of the extra spells can actually be conducted...

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    Typo:

Rejuvenation, Greater
    Conjuration (Healing)
    Level: Green Mage 1 (should be 3, obviously)

On to more substantive matters. I agree with bringing the spellblade down a notch. Unlimited 3rd level castings was overpowering. I'm still a little concerned about the effectiveness of channeling shocking grasp with power attack and wraithstrike (depends on the spell lists, I suspect wraithstrike will either be gone or bumped a level) vs mundane melee, but really love the class anyhow. Interestingly, spellblades also make the best turn/rebuke undead chassis due to CHA focus. So yeah, spellblade (priest) is a nifty paladin out of the box.

Eager to see the rest of the mages.
    Fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Alright, so my responses will be in bold, and I'm going to go through pretty much everything. I find its easier this way than quoting things, and I'm sorry if it makes you twitch. I'll post these by each post.

Post One- Lo'! The Introduction!
    You are amazing. Thank you.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2013-04-12 at 04:44 PM.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Aldhaven - May 27, 2010 and ongoing.
    Aldhaven Rules and Homebrew (aldhaven.com)

Character Repository
    Homebrew List
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

Imp

I am a huge fan of the 3 layerd burrito style of D&D you have presented. It is all the fun of building a complex character, but less than a third of the levels, hurray. Does it still do the whole extra feats instead of lvls once you reach lvl 6 like the standard E6?

I haven't had time to look thoroughly through the various combinations but what I have read so far looks entertaining and well thought out.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gotterdammerung View Post
    I am a huge fan of the 3 layerd burrito style of D&D you have presented. It is all the fun of building a complex character, but less than a third of the levels, hurray. Does it still do the whole extra feats instead of lvls once you reach lvl 6 like the standard E6?
    Yes, it does. After I get the core completed, I'll be going back and creating a number of feats and rewriting others so that they work better with this system.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Oh. So I did. Nevermind then. Carry on.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderML View Post
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Yurhzorg is a nuclear warhead disguised as a playable character
    Much thanks to Ceika for the poketar!

I'll be away from the internet from 1/3-1/8 2019. I swear I'm not disappeared.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

The class and archetypes system makes me think of it as somewhere in between 3.5's classes and Legend's track system. Since I love Legend's tracks this is a good thing.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

As promised, I've started your classes. This will be the first of many. Fitting it in between other things, so sorry for the slow response pattern! Slowly but surely! I'll try and finish out the whole of combat by tomorrow and do a summary of combat. Then after I'm done classes I'll do a summary of classes I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Combat Classes

Spoiler
    Show
    The Brawler

Role: The brawler is a fast, agile skirmisher. His goal is to get in, deal the most damage possible, and get out. No other character can match his speed, mobility, and raw damage output; however, a brawler can't take much damage.

So basically we're looking at a light infantry man with a bite. Interestingly enough, you could also use "Skirmisher" to title this class. I'm anticipating lots of things along the dodge, mobility, spring attack progression. Lets see what we have...

{table=head]|
    Base Attack[div]Bonus[/div]
    |
    Fort[div]Save[/div]
    |
    Ref[div]Save[/div]
    |
    Will[div]Save[/div]
    |Special|
    Critical[div]Modifier[/div]
    |
    Fast[div]Movement
    [/div]
    1st|
    +0
    |
    +1
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |Archetype power (lesser), critical strike, fast movement, quick acrobat|
    +1/-
    |
    +5 ft
    |
    2nd|
    +1
    |
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |Flurry of strikes|
    +1/-
    |
    +10 ft
    |
    3rd|
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |Archetype power (moderate), penetrating critical|
    +1/+1
    |
    +10 ft
    |
    4th|
    +3
    |
    +2
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |Evasion, uncanny dodge|
    +1/+1
    |
    +15 ft
    |
    5th|
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |Improved flurry|
    +2/+1
    |
    +15 ft
    |
    6th|
    +4
    |
    +3
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |Archetype power (greater), rapid strikes|
    +2/+1
    |
    +20 ft
    |[/table]

Hit Die: d8

Looking at your other two warriors, I see why you made the hit die a D8. It flows well with the D12 and then D10 respectively. However, your description of the class was that it couldn't take a lot of damage, however you still have the Brawler's hit die above everything but the Spellblade, which strikes me as off. I understand if you leave it, since it is a combat based class, but that's just my two cents on this. Perhaps you could phrase it "can't take as much damage as other warriors" or something.

Class Skills (4 + Int modifier per level, ×4 at 1st level): Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (local) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).

Class Features
    All of the following are class features of The Brawler.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A brawler is proficient with all simple weapons and with light armor but not with shields.

Furthering the light infantry dynamic with the light armor and no shields. I like. I hope to see some damage features to counter-act/balance the ac and hit point problems.

Archetype: At 1st level, the brawler chooses an archetype from the list below. He gains the advantages and abilities of the archetype at the appropriate levels, as indicated in the class table. Once made, this choice is final.

Ah ha, I started going into this more, then decided it would be better discussed in the Archetypes section. In other words, more on this later.

Critical Strike (Ex): At 1st level, a brawler becomes skills at applying damage to a creature's weakest points. The critical threat range of any weapon with which the brawler is proficient increases by 1. At 5th level, he instead increases the critical threat range by 2. This ability stacks with other abilities that modifier the critical threat range of a weapon.
    Additionally, at level 3, the critical multiplier of any weapon the brawler wields is increased by 1, to a maximum of x5.
    Finally, he gains a bonus on his attack rolls to confirm critical hits equal to his class level.

First sentence - a brawler becomes "skilled", not "skills". Intersting. A keening ability. That's really cool. Perhaps these increases per different levels should be displayed on the chart, the way sneak attack might be with a rouge in 3.5. (Very nice, you did! ) Also, these ability gains seem to be out of order in the description - it starts at first level, then 5th level, then 3rd level, then it says "finally" which does specifically sat if that's part of level 3, level 6, in addition to all these abilities this ability gives you this at first level. Might want to make that more concise. Otherwise, this is a potent ability that works well for the class theme, and I like it. Does this stack with keened weapons or weapons with improved critical? It's daunting to think of the implications with that.

Fast Movement (Ex): A brawler's land speed is faster than the norm for his race by +5 feet. This benefit applies only when he is wearing no armor or light armor and not carrying a heavy load. Apply this bonus before modifying the brawler’s speed because of any load carried or armor worn.
    At every even level, this bonus increases by an additional +5 feet. The total is given on the class table.

So since this is gained at first level, they'd get an additional +5 at 2, 4, and 6? That would make it an additional +20 movement by level 6. Since it goes up every even number, wouldn't it make sense to give this to the class at level 2, and then progress it as described? Gives level 2 some more features, and doesn't increase movement by 10 in the first two levels.

Quick Acrobat (Ex): The penalty a brawler suffers to Balance and Tumble checks from accelerated movement are reduced. The penalty to Balance checks is reduced by an amount equal to the brawler's class level. The penalty to Tumble checks is reduced by an amount equal to twice the brawler's class level.

What do you mean "from accelerated movement"? Does that mean it is conditional based on when they are...moving fast? Isn't that all the time? Or in any case? I'd recommend rewording this a bit better, but granting a bonus to balance and tumble makes sense to me. The penalty stuff just seems complicated RAW.

Flurry of Strikes (Ex): When wearing no armor or light armor and not carrying a heavy load, a brawler may make one extra melee attack at his highest base attack bonus, but this attack takes a -1 penalty, as does each other attack made that round. This penalty applies for 1 round, so it also affects attacks of opportunity the brawler might make before his next action. A brawler may make a flurry of strikes as part of any melee attack action using any weapons with which he is proficient, but he may only do so once per turn.

A nice trade off. It's a different take on power attack to be sure. Good explaination. I'd add "any" to the 2nd sentence between "affects" and "attacks", to make the sentence a little stronger. I might even go say this should be a -2 instead of -1. I'd still keep the later "Improved Flurry" the same, however. Also, if I didn't use the flurry attack during the turn, but someone incurred an AoP during the turn, could I use this flurry as the AoP?

Penetrating Critical (Ex): When making a successful critical hit against a creature normally immune to critical hits, a brawler still deals additional damage from the critical hit; however, all extra damage dealt is halved.

Oooooo, hurting undead and such with Crits? A dream come true!

Evasion (Ex): At 4th level, if a brawler makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if a brawler is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless brawler does not gain the benefit of evasion.

An understandable bonus, and has rules to it that match the flavor of the class. Very nice.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): At 4th level, a brawler retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized. If a brawler already has uncanny dodge from a different class, he automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead.

4th be the slippery level!

Improved Flurry (Ex): When a brawler reaches 5th level, he no longer takes a penalty for using flurry of strikes.

Nice way to make 'Flurry of Strikes' stronger without adding another extra attack.

Rapid Strikes: Once per encounter, a brawler may choose to use one of these abilities. All abilities are activated as a free action unless otherwise stated.
    • Rapid Dash (Ex): For three rounds, the brawler may move his base land speed as a swift action. He also gains a 20% miss chance from concealment for those three rounds.
      So fast she's hard to hit! Cool!
    • Blitz Strike (Ex): For three rounds, the brawler may make two attacks as part of his flurry of strikes instead of only one.
      I like that this is one of the endcaps. Very nice.
    • Deadly Strikes (Ex): For three rounds, the critical threat range of any weapon the brawler uses increases by 1 for every critical threat made during these three rounds, whether or not the threat is confirmed.

This with the improved critical thing could be extreamely deadly. Especially with multiple high attacks. Is there a cap on this? I like that I have the option of three, to use given different situations, but I'd likely always pick this one. Perhaps nerf this a tad, or improve the others a bit. And that concludes the Brawler!
    Spoiler
    Show

Added question -

Can one multiclass in E6? It seems like you shouldn't be able to based on certain features, but then I saw in Uncanny Dodge -

If a sentinel already has uncanny dodge from a different class, he automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead.
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2013-05-03 at 10:29 AM.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

The class and archetypes system makes me think of it as somewhere in between 3.5's classes and Legend's track system. Since I love Legend's tracks this is a good thing.
    I wouldnt know, as I've never played Legend or even heard about before now.
    Added question -

Can one multiclass in E6? It seems like you shouldn't be able to based on certain features, but then I saw in Uncanny Dodge -
    I'm not going to allow multiclassing in this version of E6; however, there are items and other abilities that can provide uncanny dodge, and I wanted to maintain their functionality in providing the improved version.

1Specific replies to TheWombatOfDoom's evaluation.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Looking at your other two warriors, I see why you made the hit die a D8. It flows well with the D12 and then D10 respectively. However, your description of the class was that it couldn't take a lot of damage, however you still have the Brawler's hit die above everything but the Spellblade, which strikes me as off. I understand if you leave it, since it is a combat based class, but that's just my two cents on this. Perhaps you could phrase it "can't take as much damage as other warriors" or something.
    I'll probably change the fluff. The description of the Brawler was literally the first thing I ever wrote for this project, so I'm not surprised that it doesn't fit perfectly with the rest of the system. I had toyed with the idea of lowering it to a d6, but with the other classes coming together, I realized that a d6 would make him rather ineffective as a Combat class.

Critical Strike (Ex):
    Also, these ability gains seem to be out of order in the description - it starts at first level, then 5th level, then 3rd level, then it says "finally" which does specifically sat if that's part of level 3, level 6, in addition to all these abilities this ability gives you this at first level. Might want to make that more concise.
    They aren't ordered by level but by effect. First, [Effect 1]. Additionally, [Effect 2]. Finally, [Effect 3]. I will consider the wording though and see if there's a simpler way to state what I mean.

Fast Movement (Ex):
    So since this is gained at first level, they'd get an additional +5 at 2, 4, and 6? That would make it an additional +20 movement by level 6. Since it goes up every even number, wouldn't it make sense to give this to the class at level 2, and then progress it as described? Gives level 2 some more features, and doesn't increase movement by 10 in the first two levels.
    That was the original progression. I changed it to the current rate, because I felt like I wanted him to have a speed bonus from level 1, much like a standard barbarian does. I also felt like +20 wouldn't be too much by level 6, as there are several spells and items available at that level which give a +30. Again, this being the first class I wrote (and also the idea that sparked this whole project), it will probably see a few changes. I am definitely considering going back to the progression you've suggested.

Quick Acrobat (Ex):
    What do you mean "from accelerated movement"? Does that mean it is conditional based on when they are...moving fast? Isn't that all the time? Or in any case? I'd recommend rewording this a bit better, but granting a bonus to balance and tumble makes sense to me. The penalty stuff just seems complicated RAW.
    To answer your question:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Balance
    Accelerated Movement
    You can try to walk across a precarious surface more quickly than normal. If you accept a -5 penalty, you can move your full speed as a move action. (Moving twice your speed in a round requires two Balance checks, one for each move action used.) You may also accept this penalty in order to charge across a precarious surface; charging requires one Balance check for each multiple of your speed (or fraction thereof) that you charge.
    1Tumble
    Accelerated Tumbling
    You try to tumble past or through enemies more quickly than normal. By accepting a -10 penalty on your Tumble checks, you can move at your full speed instead of one-half your speed.
    The purpose of Quick Acrobat is to ignore these two penalties rather than to add actual bonuses to the skill checks. He's focused on speed rather than acrobatics. (For that, see the Acrobat class.)

Flurry of Strikes (Ex):
    A nice trade off. It's a different take on power attack to be sure. Good explaination. I'd add "any" to the 2nd sentence between "affects" and "attacks", to make the sentence a little stronger. I might even go say this should be a -2 instead of -1. I'd still keep the later "Improved Flurry" the same, however. Also, if I didn't use the flurry attack during the turn, but someone incurred an AoP during the turn, could I use this flurry as the AoP?
    I had not considered whether or not it could be used as part of an AoO, but the wording currently indicates that it could, provided it hasn't been used yet. That's something I'm going to have to ponder whether or not to change, as it definitely adds some more options to the Brawler and limited "Combat Reflexes" effect it grants thematically fits with the quick fighter motif... I may leave it as is except to mention that it can be used as part of an AoO. I still need to think about whether or not to allow that.

Deadly Strikes (Ex):
    This with the improved critical thing could be extreamely deadly. Especially with multiple high attacks. Is there a cap on this? I like that I have the option of three, to use given different situations, but I'd likely always pick this one. Perhaps nerf this a tad, or improve the others a bit.
    Rapid Strikes is definitely overkill. When this was the only class, it seemed like it could be reasonable, but... yeah. I'll probably change it to three rounds of crit threats automatically confirming.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2013-04-15 at 02:43 PM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Really? I though Legend was pretty well known around here, having been spawned on these boards. The sight is here. Its a free download. The 1.0 version should be released soon, though the currently downloadable version is pretty complete they are making a pile of revisions after the beta testing.

The basic character building revolves around the track system, which is explained better there than I could. Each character is composed of three tracks giving abilities as you level, staggered so you get something every level. Multiclassing is simply swapping in a track from a different class, same with powerful races, they get their own track. Even if you don't care for the result it should be interesting from a game design standpoint.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks, stack, but I'm going to refrain from looking at it until I have this project much more completed. I'd rather not pick up ideas and things from other projects at this stage, whether intentionally or not.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Entirely reasonable. I'll comment more once you have the other spellcasting archetypes.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

I'm currently working up the domains for Priest as well as writing up a little bit of fluff explaining what they are and why they are what they are.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Changelog
    • General: Divine Domains section added!

• Class: Brawler – Fixed some typos. Clarified a few abilities. Replaced Deadly Strikes ability.

• Archetype: Priest – domains given the proper name "Divine Domains" to reflect the specific domains used with this system.

• Spells: Published the first four Divine Domains. I have another 5 that are almost finished and should be posted shortly. I went ahead and published all the domains I have so far. Most of them have quite a few blanks remaining. While I don't have it written up yet, I have a good idea of what spells I would like to have in each domain. However, I'm always open to suggestions.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2013-04-16 at 02:55 AM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Is the first level spell 'create water' of the water domain different from the 'create water' on the general priest list?

Can the elemental turn attempts form the domains be used to fuel the capstone abilities? As written it specifies 'turn undead' for the capstones and there is no listed clause allowing them to, so I presume no. Also, are 'element' creatures considered any creature will the 'element' subtype (filling in air/earth/water/fire as appropriate)?

Back to the spellblade, do they not get any cantrips unless they spend a spell known on them?

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Is the first level spell 'create water' of the water domain different from the 'create water' on the general priest list?
    *cough* I have no idea what you're talking about. There's no "create water" on the general list.

Can the elemental turn attempts form the domains be used to fuel the capstone abilities? As written it specifies 'turn undead' for the capstones and there is no listed clause allowing them to, so I presume no.
    No, they can't.

Also, are 'element' creatures considered any creature will the 'element' subtype (filling in air/earth/water/fire as appropriate)?
    Yes, just like in standard 3.5.

Back to the spellblade, do they not get any cantrips unless they spend a spell known on them?
    That is correct.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

looking through things, I think it looks pretty good. Do the spheres themselves do anything other than set the fluff of your divine domain choices?
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderML View Post
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Yurhzorg is a nuclear warhead disguised as a playable character
    Much thanks to Ceika for the poketar!

I'll be away from the internet from 1/3-1/8 2019. I swear I'm not disappeared.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

looking through things, I think it looks pretty good. Do the spheres themselves do anything other than set the fluff of your divine domain choices?
    At this point, no. However, I am working on an elemental based archetype which will be based on access to particular spheres.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Changelog
    • General: Formatting update to various sections.

• Class: Acrobat – Minor edits for clarity. Fixed some typos.
    • Class: Augur – Channel Shift capstone ability added. Fixed some typos.
    • Class: Sentinel – Minor edits for clarity.
    • Class: Expert – Insightful Strike ability slightly changed. Added the following capstone abilities: Epiphany, Skill Insight, Brains Over Brawn
    • Class: Troubadour – Clarification made on Magic Aptitude and Fortune's Friend abilities. Added the following capstone abilities: Great Motivator, Quite Fortunate

• Archetype: Red Mage added!
    • Archetype: Assassin – Added the following capstone abilities: Opportunistic Backstab, Poisonous Insight, Charming Killer
    • Archetype: Green Mage – Unnecessary (Su) tag removed from Nature's Ally ability.
    • Archetype: Priest – Third domain moved to moderate ability. Fourth domain added as greater ability. Unnecessary (Su) tag removed from Divine Touch ability.
    • Archetype: Sniper – Fixed for minor typos. Added the following capstone abilities: Twice Deadly, Warding Bow, Greater Skilled Sniping, Insightful Aim, Inspiring Aim
    • Archetype: Trapsmith – Added the following capstone abilities: Brilliant Trap, Aura of Safety

• Spells: Orb of Energy and Orb of Energy, Lesser added!
    Last edited by Rizban; 2013-04-16 at 10:55 PM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Red Mage: Reduce spell failure 15%? I'll take one mithral breastplate, please!

So, looking at arcane spell failure and armor, the auger gets armor proficiency, but not the ability to cast arcane spells in armor, so is therefore naturally inclined toward taking the divine archetypes, correct? Took me a minute to put it together, having come from Gnorman's magic classes where everything is arcane. Thought I would spell it out to make sure I was right and to maybe avoid others asking the question in the future.

Anyway, need a little time to try out some builds, mentally. Arcane edge based on Con is interesting. I can see spellblades pumping Con (they only need 12 Cha, leaving the other points for Str and Dex). A finesse build could get by with just Dex and Con. Combat casting seems to come late, especially since you can't swap it if you already took it baring feat retraining.

Anyway, seems like there are multiple paths to 'gish' , 'blaster', and other roles, which can only be a good thing.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Everything you just mentioned is essentially what I intended with them. While I do intend for everything to be essentially open to whatever you want to do, there are certain class/archetype combinations that just work better together, such as the augur being a divine caster.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

If I am a spellblade Beast Master, do I not get *any* spells known? Rough life.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by darklink_shadow View Post
    As currently written, not from your archetype. You do, however, still have and can channel your eldritch blast. I'm currently toying with the two general archetypes to give them some limited spell access for the magic classes.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by darklink_shadow View Post
    That's why magic classes take magic archetypes.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe add a background called "Adept Training"

Gives you access to some basic spells just for your magic types, just so you can pick up magic type with non-magic archtype.

Maybe the background also grants one spell too, I don't know balance.

But a background that helps just gives you access to a spell pool.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

It's called "Apprentice" and was part of the originally published backgrounds. I removed it, because it wasn't compatible with the magic classes as I was envisioning them at the time. I'm going to update it and post it again when I get back to the backgrounds. Many of them are going to get an overhaul, as I posed them at the very beginning of this project. I was just trying to get content there rather than trying to get a polished finalized version.

On another note, I'm always open to community contributions! Anything that anyone wants to contribute is appreciated and is quite likely to find its way into the main project.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Speaking of, any thoughts on my spellbreaker? It was just a first go, not sure as to balance.

I'll see what else I can think of. Maybe a shapeshifter?

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Speaking of, any thoughts on my spellbreaker? It was just a first go, not sure as to balance.

I'll see what else I can think of. Maybe a shapeshifter?
    I deliberately left wild shape out of the "druid," because I've never been a fan of shapeshifting as a class feature. I'm sort of a traditionalist in that the old fairy tales only ever have shapeshifting as some sort of curse or punishment (Edit: or something the really evil people do). I was planning to have some sort of lycanthrope based race, but I hadn't really wanted to make it part of a core class or archetype.

And on that note, I need to decide how I want to handle powerful races. I was originally planning to have powerful races get their own unique archetypes, then I thought unique classes that can take any archetype, and then I thought just ACFs for existing stuff. I'm really not sure how to handle them, as each has its own merits and drawbacks.

The spellbreaker is adept at resisting enemy mages

Prerequisites: spellbreaker is available to any combat or skillful.
    Archetype Skills: A spellbreaker gains spellcraft and knowledge (arcana) as class skills if he does not already possess them.
    Archetype Proficiencies: A spellbreaker gains no additional armor or weapon proficiencies.

Lesser Archetype Power: (ex) If an enemy capable of casting spells or SLAs is successfully hit and damaged by a spellbreaker's attack, that enemy's next spellcasting attempt or SLA use automatically fails unless it makes a Will save, with the DC equal to 10 + half the spellbreaker's class level + the spellbreaker's Charisma modifier. A spellbreaker also treats Spellcraft as a class skill, and gains a +4 bonus to identify hostile spells.

Moderate Archetype Power: (su) The spellbreaker gains spell resistance equal to 10 + twice his class level vs hostile spells.

Greater Archetype Power: (su) A spellbreaker may cast a targeted version of Greater Dispel Magic as a spell-like ability once per encounter, with a caster level equal to twice his level.

Capstone:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Brawler: Quick Target (ex) as a free action, the brawler may gain a 50% miss chance vs targeted spells for 3 rounds

Gladiator: Disruptive (ex) as a free action, for 3 rounds no enemy within the gladiator's reach can cast defensively

Sentinel: Spell Shield (su) as a free action, for 3 rounds, the sentinel can extend his spell resistance to all allies within 5'

Acrobat: Reflect Spell (su) whenever making a successful save against a targeted spell, or when a targeted spell fails to penetrate the acrobat's spell resistance, he may redirect it back to the caster as per spell turning

Expert: Wise Council (ex) as a free action, for 3 rounds all allies who can see and hear the expert gain an insight bonus on all saves equal to the experts INT modifier, as well as evasion and mettle

Troubador: Try Again (su) as a free action, for 3 rounds all enemies must roll twice and take the worst result when trying to pierce the troubador's spell resistance
    It seems that I missed seeing this when you posted it.

Quick review:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I like the concept and will probably use it, but there's a few quirks. The lesser ability seems alright, though there's some wording issues I'd like to clear up before adding it to the front page.

Moderate ability... I'm leery about granting spell resistance, especially at that high of a level. With SR22 at 6th level, any 6th-level spellcaster is going to have to roll a 16+ to affect a spellbreaker. Giving a higher than 75% failure rate to resistible spells seems a bit strong. Honestly, I'd probably move this to the lesser ability and reduce its benefit but still let it scale.

Greater is marked (Su) but called a (Sp) in text. Obviously, you didn't mean (Sp), as then he'd be a target for himself. I'm also really not comfortable giving out 6th-level spells. Just the normal dispel magic would work.

Brawler - I'd reduce it to 20% and specify either as hostile or as damaging spells (not both). As it is, that would give him no protection against area effects, like fireball. Maybe that was intentional though...

Gladiator - seems appropriate.

Sentinel - seems highly overpowered... Maybe limit it to just his ward, and his ward must be within 5ft.

Acrobat - seems reasonable, but I'm not sure it really 'fits' the class. Might need a flavor sentence to make it work.

Expert - Seems reasonable if you strike out the evasion/mettle clause.

Troubadour - seems okay, but it's kinda meh.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2013-04-17 at 03:49 PM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Like I said, that was just a first go. Not sure why I thought greater dispel would be needed in E6.

I think your changes are solid. Swapping the mod and lesser wouldn't make a huge difference.

For the acrobat, I was inspired by the spell reflection (might be the wrong name) ACF for classes with evasion, best thing I could come up with since I already used miss chance for the galdiator.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

I didn't mean switch the two. I meant add moderate to lesser, albeit at a reduced strength, and come up with a new ability for it.

However, now that I've thought about it a bit more, the best option might be to switch them and grant Favored Enemy (Spellcasters) as the Lesser ability.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Changelog
    • General: Archetypes post hit max character limit, so we have another minor post shuffle. The Table of Contents has been updated to reflect the change.

• Archetype: Skirmisher added!
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

I'll try.

Apprenticeship:

You've spent some time learning about a few magic tricks. If you are a [Magic] type, add the following spells to your archtype:

0th level
    •Create Water
    •Detect Magic
    •Light
    •Read Magic
    •Acid Splash
    •Daze
    •Mage Hand
    •Prestidigitation
    •Ray of Frost

1th level
    •Burning Hands
    •Magic Missile
    •Magic Weapon
    •Shield
    •Shocking Grasp
    •Endure Elements
    •Entangle
    •Faerie Fire
    •Magic Fang
    •Obscuring Mist

2nd Level
    •Barkskin
    •Bear's Endurance
    •Bull's Strength
    •Cat's Grace
    •Gust of Wind
    •Owl's Wisdom
    •Soften Earth and Stone
    •Summon Swarm
    •Acid Arrow
    •Continual Flame
    •Glitterdust
    •Protection from Arrows
    •Resist Energy
    •Scorching Ray
    •Shatter

3rd
    •Poison
    •Remove Disease
    •Snare
    •Water Breathing
    •Fireball
    •Magic Weapon, Greater
    •Poison

You learn extra one spell per level you gain, usable as often as your casting typically allows.

If you do not have a [Magic] class, you gain usage of any spell you know a number of time per day equal to 2/3s your level, rounded up.

Or something.