New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Paladin Academy: A Playground Inspired Story

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Mattos View Post
    New? I've been reading it for a while. Not that I post much, but still.
    Yeeeeaaahhh... I've been known to say stupid things from time to time. I just breifly looked up the cast page in the first post and didn't see your name and I'm use to most of the people reading it as being the people who will show up in the story later.

Anyways, since its so close to the end of the first chapter, I feel really motivated on updating frequently now. So expect me to try to update atleast one part each day (this may mean more than 1, or none at all, depending on the day). Although, I do have a philosophy essay that needs procrastinating on, so that may be another reason I feel so excited to do the faster paced updates.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

2. - Top - End - #572
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not on the cast page (As far as I know.) and still seem to be remembered from time to time.
    Extended Signature

Óla tha eínai éna.

Avatar by Dorian Soth Thormag. Thanks a bunch.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Barbarian in the Playground

Put it down to your memorable avatar.
    Recaiden made the mime doll.

Spoiler: Nexus Characters
    Show

4. - Top - End - #574
    Titan in the Playground

Paladin Academy: Part 42
    -Cast-
    Penny
    Viola
    Kurama
    Grim

Spoiler
    Show
    The air rushed past Viola's face as the three flew through the air. Viola was still quite amazed that Penny could lift both of them while flying. However, as she held onto Penny's arm, she was still extremely nervous. For they had been somewhat delayed on getting out of the ruins...

Viola was stepping carefully between the rubble, when suddenly she heard a high pitched yell. Before she knew it, Penny was crawling on top of her, away from the floor.
    "Oh my gosh, oh my gosh! Eww, eww, eww!"

Viola struggled with Penny for a moment, until she finally managed to free her head from her grasp.
    "What Penny! What is it?"

Penny pointed to a small hole in the wall with a horrified look on her face. Viola and Kurama looked down to see a long bald tail disappear into it.
    "You mean the rats?"

Penny responded while on top of Viola's back.
    "Yes! I hate rats! They're so gross and filthy!"

Viola raised an eyebrow.
    "Didn't you see them coming in?"

Penny shook her head.
    "No... I was too busy flying through here after you guys..."

Viola rolled her eyes and continued to carry Penny across the rubble floor.

Viola was brought back from this recollection by Kurama speaking to her.
    "Hey, did you hear me?"

Viola looked up startled.
    "Huh? What?"

Kurama looked slightly exasperated.
    "I said, what are we going to do when we get there?"

Viola looked stern as he said this.
    "We are going to make Grim tell us where the beacon is."

"And why would he do that?"
    Viola shook her head and gave him a look that meant 'I will find a way to make him tell us.'

Before Kurama could respond, Penny's voice called out alarmed.
    "Look!"

The two looked down and Viola felt her insides freeze. Her immediate reaction was to look over at the sun. Just as she thought, it hadn't set all the way.
    "Why are they attacking early?"

She looked back down at the giant red portal opening up in front of the fortress. Kurama responded after a moment's pause.
    "I think we really pissed off the Demon King..."

Penny looked down at Viola.
    "What do we do?"

Viola thought about it for a second.
    "We need to still get to Grim. They can hold off long enough until we can shut down the beacon."

Penny nodded and continued to fly over the battlefield. Soon afterwards, they landed near one of the upper sections of the fortress. As soon as her feet hit the stone floor, she instantly breaks out into a run.
    "W-Wait! Viola!"
    She hears both Kurama and Penny start to chase after her as she runs down down the many corridors. After a little while, she comes to a stop in front of a door. Without hesitating, she opens it up and quickly rushes inside. Before her is a nearly empty room, save for another door and a small opening with a glowing blue outline to allow one to look through it. After a quick glance through the opening, Viola then goes over to the other door and enters in.

She changes her demeanor instantly, making it seem more victorious and triumphant.
    "Hey Grim. How's it going?"
    Grim looks up. Shock is instantly etched on his face as he see's her.
    "What? Surprised to see me? Well I don't know why since I did what you wanted me to. The Demon King is dead. I cut him up into many different pieces."

Grim shook his head in disbelief.
    "That's... imposs-"

"Viola!"
    Kurama's voice called out to her just before Kurama and Penny quickly hurry into the room. Both of them are panting slightly and looking more worried.

At the sight of them, Grim smiled with an all knowing look.
    "Nice try. But your little lie won't work. I'll still give you props for getting out of hell though."
    He leaned back in his chair, very relaxed.
    "So I take it you're here to find out where I put the beacon, right?"

Viola resisted the urge to glare at Kurama and Penny and tried to keep up with the false triumphant attitude.
    "Yup. You caught me. I'm just trying to find out where the beacon is. But only because the demon's coming through are more of a nuisance than anything else. Without Mangosta, they're just attacking randomly with no coordination."

Grim chuckled to himself a bit.
    "One bad lie after the other. No wonder lying is against the paladin code."
    He looks over at her, grinning.
    "First off, this attack would not even start without the Demon King's final approval. Secondly, according to my best guess, the sun hasn't completely set all the way, even though it will in a few minutes. The only way Mangosta would change his plans is when someone angers him quite a bit. And thirdly, even if you somehow managed to find out how to kill a Demon King, a feat that not even the angels or devils had figured out, the demons would quickly find a successor, so the attack would be approved then. And finally, all those demons have a common goal to achieve. They wouldn't attack in a chaotic mob just because their King is gone. So quite frankly, you're just wasting your time."
    He continued to smile his all knowing smile.

Viola's face instantly dropped the false victorious expression and turned to a more dark, serious expression.
    "Where is the beacon, Grim?!"

"I'm not telling you that."

Viola slammed her palm down on the table in front of him.
    "I said where is it!"

Grim looked down at Viola's hand with a bored expression.
    "Yes, well done. A fourteen year old girl threatening me? I don't know how I will hold out."

Viola stopped herself from hitting him, instead just clenching her hand.
    "You know, Mangosta said he was going to kill everyone in this dimension. That includes you Grim."

"So? Mangosta doesn't know that I can disrupt the beacon. I experimented with my power and found that I was really close to breaking the magic. I know for a fact that I will be the last one alive on this realm, and when that happens, I can end the magic right there. For now, I'm quite content for serving my purpose."

This time, Viola really did hit him. Grim reacted to the blow instantly and clapped a hand to his cheek. Viola felt Kurama and Penny grabbing her and pulling her back away from him.
    "Viola what are you doing?"

Viola was shaking with rage. The very memory of all that had happened fresh in her mind. Her eyes were glaring at Grim as he turned back to face her. Then she suddenly stopped resisting. It was only there for an instant, but she thought she saw a faint dark mist appear around the spot she hit Grim. Then she thought back to Mangosta. He had said the exact same line about Grim serving his purpose.

She stopped resisting, and Kurama hesitantly let go of her.
    "So, you won't tell us where the beacon is?"

Grim glared at her, but dropped his hand down slowly from his face.
    "Like I said, you're wasting your time."

Viola slowly walked forward. Eyes locked with Grim. Her mind working on everything that had happened, putting all the pieces together.
    "Then that is a shame."

Kurama took a nervous step towards Viola.
    "Viola, what are you going to do?"

"Kurama, stay out of this."
    Her gaze never left Grim as she walked around the table.

Grim looked up at her suspiciously.
    "What are you doing?"

Viola's hand grasp the hilt of her sword.
    "Well, you're of no use to us then. Why should I give you the satisfaction on being the last human alive?"
    The long sound of a sword being drawn is echoed across the room.

Everyone reacted instantly. Grim backed away from her into one of the corners. Kurama and Penny ran forward and grabbed her, holding her back.
    "Viola! Have you gone insane?!"

"This is madness, Viola! Knock it off! We need to go find that bea- Arrrggghhh!!!"

In one swift movement, Viola touched both Kurama and Penny with her hand. Both of them let go and fell back as the painful vibrations raced up their arms. Viola however continued forward on to Grim, pitiless eyes glaring down at him. He slid to the floor and held up his arm as if to shield himself.
    "What are you doing?!"

"I'm going to end this right now. Just try and stop me."

"Viola! Stop!"
    Kurama tried and failed to get to his feet, clenching his teeth at the pain which hadn't completely subsided. Penny looked almost close to tears.

Viola ignored them both. She raised her sword above her head ready to strike. Grim's eyes were full of surprise and disbelief as he looked up at her. Then his eyes connected with her's, and his expression changed to a more serious nature.
    "You know...don't you?"

Viola hesitated for a fraction of a second, then brought the sword down on top of Grim.
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2012-10-28 at 12:17 AM.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Titan in the Playground

Viola: I am your father?
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

6. - Top - End - #576
    Ogre in the Playground

Is Grim dead? Stay tuned till next time!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    Wouldn't a bulb only be sharp if someone broke it? Oh...wait...that's actually very fitting for this situation. Well played Ranger Mattos. Your metaphor-crafting is masterful indeed.

7. - Top - End - #577
    Firbolg in the Playground

Wh-what?

Blue Ghost, Lawful Good generalist wizard, at your service.
    Love wins. S'agapo.

I make MtG cards. My portfolio

8. - Top - End - #578
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Heh heh... It seems we will have two blackguards around soon instead of one

And to be frank, I don't believe that Grim is terribly concerned or in hopeless situation. I think that the whole "scared and surprised" thing is a hoax: for what, I have no idea. This does show however that he has at least some of his powers even without his crystal. Viola and co. could be in trouble

Very nice chapter again, Silver! I can't wait to read next one

9. - Top - End - #579
    Troll in the Playground

Maybe we're about to find out that he's a robot?
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

10. - Top - End - #580
    Bugbear in the Playground

GRIM IS THE BEACON!?

Wow, didn't see that plot twist coming.

Sorry I haven't commented in a while, but this serious still has it. Great work Silver.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Rogers
    "When I say it's you I like, I'm talking about that part of you that knows that life is far more than anything you can ever see or hear or touch. That deep part of you that allows you to stand for those things without which humankind cannot survive. Love that conquers hate, peace that rises triumphant over war, and justice that proves more powerful than greed."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother Teresa
    If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one

11. - Top - End - #581

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Nil View Post
    GRIM IS THE BEACON!?

Wow, didn't see that plot twist coming.

Sorry I haven't commented in a while, but this serious still has it. Great work Silver.
    Oh snap. I did not realize that.
    I hope he doesn't have to die though...

Love wins. S'agapo.

12. - Top - End - #582
    Titan in the Playground

*smacks self in the face*

of course. of course Grim's the beacon, Mangosta purposefully sent Grim ahead of him to both try and weaken the paladins AND hide the beacon, so that they would waste time trying to send people to search for it where Mangosta himself could put a trap for them and kill whatever paladins were sent, thus destroying the strongest ones since those would be the people you would send, and leaving them vulnerable, not realizing that the beacon is in the exact last place you would expect, right at home in your prison while you thought it was out there being heavily defended. Thus guaranteeing their destruction

Paladin academy's Mangosta is officially a magnificent bastard, or at least a chessmaster.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

13. - Top - End - #583

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Paladin academy's Mangosta is officially a magnificent bastard, or at least a chessmaster.
    Or, as the case may be, both.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

14. - Top - End - #584
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere
    *smacks self in the face*

of course. of course Grim's the beacon, Mangosta purposefully sent Grim ahead of him to both try and weaken the paladins AND hide the beacon, so that they would waste time trying to send people to search for it where Mangosta himself could put a trap for them and kill whatever paladins were sent, thus destroying the strongest ones since those would be the people you would send, and leaving them vulnerable, not realizing that the beacon is in the exact last place you would expect, right at home in your prison while you thought it was out there being heavily defended. Thus guaranteeing their destruction

Hmm... But would Grim really be stupid enough to walz right into the middle of Paladin army knowing that his life was on the line if someone figured out the "beacon" thing?`I think there is something here that we are not seeing yet... But Mangosta is still a Magnificent Bastard

Maybe we would need to start TvTropes page for this story? It has certainly gone on long enough without one

15. - Top - End - #585
    Titan in the Playground

Paladin Academy: Part 43
    -Cast-
    Kurama
    Penny
    Viola
    Grim

Spoiler
    Show
    A loud vibrating sound of metal on metal is heard. Kurama and Penny stare in disbelief as Grim is clutching his two handed sword, which had just materialized out of dark mist. Viola's face however had no surprise on it. Instead, the expression showed deep satisfaction.
    "Wh...What's going on?"

Grim's eyes stared back into Viola's darkly. Then in one move, he pushed Viola's sword out of the way with his own and did his best to kick her in the stomach. Viola however shuffled backwards with the blow, avoiding most of it. Kurama and Penny shakily get to their feet.
    "What the heck?... How does Grim have his sword?"

"Mordokai took his crystal away. He shouldn't be able to have his powers."

Viola however watched as Grim coldly picks himself off the floor.
    "Isn't it obvious?"
    Grim finishes standing up, his hand on the wall. His eye's were still glaring directly into hers, which she returned back with an equal glare.
    "He never got his crystal taken from him."

Kurama and Penny both looked at Grim in shock. Grim however smiled at Viola's words. He then took his hand off the wall and reached for the chest piece of his armor. His fingers grabbed a small portion of the armor and opened up a hidden container which no other paladin's armor had. He then extracted a pure black crystal. Unlike Viola's and Kurama's crystal, no light was shining out of it. Instead, light seemed to be sucked up from the crystal, causing the edges to distort and bend toward the crystal itself. Still grinning, Grim placed his crystal into the slot in his sword, causing the sword to surround itself into a solid black mist that took up the shape of the sword itself, forming an extra layer.
    "Pretty smart of you. Yup, the crystal Mordokai took was a fake. It took about 2 days for Mangosta to make that fake with magic."

Viola continued to stare back at him.
    "But that's not all that he made with magic for you, is it?"

Grim shook his head.
    "Nope."
    He then closed his chest secret compartment and slammed his fist onto his armor.
    "Mangosta also recreated my old paladin armor that Blue made with this added compartment and the extra serrated edges."
    He then slowly drops his hand to his sword and proceeds to hold it out in front of him.
    "So? What gave it away that I had my crystal?"

Viola continued to watch him.
    "When I saw the mist appear after I hit you, then I knew for sure. It was all a matter of putting the pieces together, as well as from personal experience."

Grim raised an eyebrow.
    "Personal experience?"

Viola hesitated.
    "I had my crystal taken away from me for a time when I was in Mangosta's hell. I now know you could not even have been able to talk if Mordokai really did take your crystal away."

Grim's face filled with comprehension.
    "Ooooh... so you are the first one who knows what happens, huh? Since it has never happened before, I tried my best to act like what I thought would happen."

Kurama's voice interrupts them.
    "Viola, what are we going to do now? How are we going to find the beacon?"

Viola yelled out at him without turning her head.
    "Isn't it obvious?!"
    Kurama hesitated. Viola then pointed at Grim.
    "He is the beacon!"

Kurama and stared at Grim with an even more shocked look.
    "Figuring out the whole thing, aren't we? Yes, I am the beacon. The plan was to weaken the paladins while at the same time plant myself for the demons to invade. The magic they require is currently circulating around this entire fortress, I can feel it. Only by killing me can you end the spell. However..."

Grim lifted his sword and cut himself across the cheek.
    "The problem is, I can't die, can I?"
    Dark mist quickly formed over the cut and healed it up quickly.
    "So, what are you going now?"

Viola however smiled at him.
    "Oh, you're not immortal Grim. For example, SHATTERING SHOCKWAVE!!"

Viola suddenly swung her sword at Grim. A blast of sound erupted from the slash, shredding the air before it. Grim surrounded himself in a dense blanket of black mist before being pushed backwards. The force from her attack at close proximity caused the wall behind Grim to fail, having him fly through it. Viola staggered for a moment before hurrying forward. The Shattering Shockwave seemed to have restored Kurama's and Penny's senses, as she heard them chasing after her. They emerged into another room, which contained extra arms such as bows and arrows and spears. From the rubble, Grim picked himself up. Dark mist was dancing over him, healing his wounds.
    "I'm was ready for that this time. There's no way you're going to beat me again."

Viola smiled as she held her sword in front of her. Kurama and Penny pulled their out as well.
    "Nonsense. All we have to do is cause you to use up all that darkness in your crystal. Then you won't have any left over to heal yourself and then we kill you."

Grim suddenly started to laugh maniacally, causing Viola to falter.
    "Me?... Run out of darkness?..."
    He then formed a large portion of dark mist around his hand and threw it at the side wall. A dark clawed hand appeared and ran right through the wall. Viola then saw the outer balcony with the last traces of sunlight fading, submerging the fortress into darkness. Viola's insides froze when she saw it.
    "Why do you think I attacked during the day? I wanted to prove that I could kill Mordokai in his own environment. Now, my environment is establishing itself. Soon, I will have unlimited darkness to call upon. You can not win this by attrition Viola! I will kill you all, you hear me?!"
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2012-10-28 at 12:27 AM.

16. - Top - End - #586

Ooooooooooooooh, Intresting
    IA Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome SpyFox Doll by Recaiden
    Epic Avvie by Domochevsky
    Everything Else by Me

17. - Top - End - #587

DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUUUN!
    Recaiden made the mime doll.

Spoiler: Nexus Characters
    Show

18. - Top - End - #588
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Woah, that was quite something. I knew Grim had the angles of the plan worked out before he tried it, but this... How do I think he's actually planning on betraying BOTH sides?

Plus, now that night is coming he will have practically limitless powers at his disposal... Should be pretty hard to restrain him then. I bet he will go One Winged Angel on the paladins, or at least get a major power boost that will make him much, much harder to take down. This should be interesting

Oh, and I just realized how hard it would be to totally kill him. Sure, you could kill him by somehow nullifying his abilities momentarily, but if you bury the body? it will just regenerate in the darkness of the grave. And even if someone would take his crystal away from the body and seal it away, there would always be a chance that he would be resurrected. Talk about Implacable Man.

All that remains now is for him to reveal his own true masterplan and say something cheesy like "Now, behold my power!" and good villain is done
    Last edited by Grim ranger; 2010-10-10 at 05:51 AM.

19. - Top - End - #589
    Titan in the Playground

I wonder if I'll get a chance to leap in anti-heroically and totally not be powerful enough to help Grim? XD
    AWESOME anyway.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

20. - Top - End - #590
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Mattos View Post
    Is Grim dead? Stay tuned till next time!
    And the correct answer: No, he is NOT dead.

Amazing work, silver.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    Wouldn't a bulb only be sharp if someone broke it? Oh...wait...that's actually very fitting for this situation. Well played Ranger Mattos. Your metaphor-crafting is masterful indeed.

21. - Top - End - #591
    Titan in the Playground

well of course Grim prepared for this possibility.

any good villain does
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

22. - Top - End - #592
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    well of course Grim prepared for this possibility.

any good villain does
    Prepared? He planned it. Everything is going Just. As. Planned.
    Last edited by Lix Lorn; 2010-10-10 at 01:18 PM.

23. - Top - End - #593
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn
    Prepared? He planned it. Everything is going Just. As. Planned.
    Wouldn't it be cool for him to be "defeated", only to go "Everything that has transpired has done so according to MY design!" right after heroes have seemingly won?

24. - Top - End - #594

Griffon

Two entries since I last checked outthe thread! Woohoo! More good stuff, ta Silver Raptor. Keen to see what other tricks and plans have been squirrelled away by Grimm and Mangosta!

25. - Top - End - #595

Quote Originally Posted by Grim ranger View Post
    Hmm... But would Grim really be stupid enough to walz right into the middle of Paladin army knowing that his life was on the line if someone figured out the "beacon" thing?`I think there is something here that we are not seeing yet... But Mangosta is still a Magnificent Bastard

Maybe we would need to start TvTropes page for this story? It has certainly gone on long enough without one
    A TVTropes page for Paladin Academy? That would be an interesting idea. I don't know how it will turn out, but I'd like to see that.

Love wins. S'agapo.

26. - Top - End - #596
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
    A TVTropes page for Paladin Academy? That would be an interesting idea. I don't know how it will turn out, but I'd like to see that.
    Paladin Academy on TvTropes? That would certainly be interesting. Might give me a reason to actually go on that website for once.

27. - Top - End - #597
    Ettin in the Playground

I am pleasantly surprised by the general awesomeness of the updates now that I've bothered to go through and read what I missed. I was starting to get "update fatigue" with "are they still in Hell?" but man oh man this makes up for it. In spades. Evil backstabbing shadow-controlling spades.

Continue.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

28. - Top - End - #598
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    I am pleasantly surprised by the general awesomeness of the updates now that I've bothered to go through and read what I missed. I was starting to get "update fatigue" with "are they still in Hell?" but man oh man this makes up for it. In spades. Evil backstabbing shadow-controlling spades.

Continue.
    Thank you. And yes, I seem to have kept them in hell for quite a while. It didn't seem quite so long in my head.

Anyways, I'm working on a major essay currently, so I wouldn't expect any updates until thursday. Unless of course, I make significant progress and feel the need to make a break.

29. - Top - End - #599
    Titan in the Playground

Paladin Academy: Part 44
    -Cast-
    Kurama
    Viola
    Grim
    Penny

Spoiler
    Show
    Viola, Kurama, and Penny all started at Grim for a moment with Grim smiling back at them menacingly. The seconds ticked by incredibly slow. Then Viola charged straight for Grim.

Grim reacted to her charge with amusement. Before she was even halfway to him, he swiped his hand across in front of him, causing a slash of darkness to fly through the air at her. Viola instinctively reacted by swinging her sword to intercept the darkness. The vibrating sword cut the dark slash in two, causing it to dissolve into a black mist. She continued unabated towards her foe, stabbing her sword straight for Grim.

At the last second, Grim sidestepped to his left to avoid her blade. With her off balance for that one instant, Grim's armored hand swung forth and slapped her across the face, causing her to fall back. Laying on the floor in shock, Viola looked up to see Grim grasping his sword in both hand, ready to stab her. Then a dark blur plowed into Grim, causing him to fly back into the wall. The next thing she knew, Kurama was kneeling next to her.
    "Are you alright?"

Viola sat up to a sitting position.
    "Y-Yes. What was...?"
    She stopped as her question was answered. Penny had flown across the room and impacted directly into Grim, causing them both to end up flattened against the opposing wall.

Grim snarled in frustration.
    "Why you-!"
    He pushed Penny off him and raised his sword. He however froze in place as he saw Penny defy falling to the floor and instead float above him.

Penny smiled at his shocked face.
    "Surprise!"

Grim recovered from his shock and swung his sword at her. She dodged by flying above it and proceeded to fly around him. Grim threw several swings at her, but she effortlessly dodged them all. Until her back was pressed up to a wall, did she suddenly jump with a start. Without hesitation, Grim gripped his sword in both his hand and swung at her with all his might.
    "I have you now!"
    Penny reacted by swing her sword one handed to try and intercept Grim. Viola could see it was pointless. Grim was throwing his entire weight behind his swing, while Penny was doing it one handed, not to mention how much lighter she was to him. The sword flew slowly as Viola dreaded the outcome.

Then, when the swords struck, a loud ringing clang of metal on metal was heard. The sound was so loud, Viola saw the entire room glow brightly for a second, being able to see every little detail of the room. After the ringing, Viola witness the impossible happen. Penny's sword not only stopped Grim's blow, but was slowly pushing him back. Grim was caught so off guard and off balance that he stumbled precariously backwards. Penny quickly raised her sword again and swung at Grim, cutting through his armor and skin.

The wound was quickly healed, but the demoralizing effect on Grim had gripped him tightly. He stepped back nervously, the darkness reforming itself over his armor. Penny didn't give him a chance to do anything else as she was already swing her sword at him again. Grim tried to block her blows, but his sword was knocked aside effortlessly. Finally, Penny swung widely, cutting through his darkness armor, regular armor, skin, flesh, and unmistakably bone. Grim gripped his arm tightly as the darkness concentrated itself violently over the affliction. He looked up at her in horror.
    "H-How?!"

Penny wore a grim that could be seen a mile as she was practically celebrating in her achievement.
    "Simple. I can effect the weight of myself and anything I touch. So when I swing, I'm making the sword super heavy in mid swing."

Grim's eyebrows lowered, calculating.
    "Is that so?"
    He then let go of his arm, which had fully healed by then, and held his hand out. Darkness quickly enveloped them both until they were out of sight. Then Viola saw a flash of Grim hitting Penny in the side of the head with the flat of his sword as the sound echoed out.
    "You can't hit what you can't see, can you?!"

Viola grit her teeth in frustration. In an instant, she was on her feet and running straight towards the darkness. Kurama's voice echoed behind her.
    "Viola! Stop!"

She plunged straight through the darkness, raising her sword as she did so. With the last echoing effects of Kurama's voice, Viola could see the rapidly fading outline of Grim, who was turning to face her. Then the entire room lit up again as her sword met his with a full on blow. Viola concentrated and proceeded to throw blow after blow at Grim. She felt the warmth of her sword as it vibrated a humming sound as she swung it about. She found that in addition to the swords hitting each other, she could roughly see Grim the closer her sword was to him.

Then, Grim feinted and punched her directly in the stomach. Before she had time to gasp from the blow, something heavy was pushing her backwards, causing her to fly through the air. She crashed into a spear rack and fell over onto the ground. The darkness that had carried her quickly evaporated.

Before Grim could admire what he done, a blade came narrowly close to hitting his shoulder as he stepped aside. He quickly noticed a layer of ice forming over the side of his face and the side of his arm as Kurama continued to attack him. The darkness quickly dispersed the ice as Grim raised his sword against Kurama. Despite Kurama's skill with a sword, he could not cut through the darkness armor like Penny could. Grim took advantage of this and knocked Kurama onto his side. As he stood over him, ready to stab, Penny crashed squarely into his back and the two were again flying across the room.

Grim recovered much quicker this time and turned around to face her.
    "I've had enough of you!"
    Ducking under one of her swings, he managed to grab hold over her mouth. Viola managed to get to her feet at this time and quickly raced forward to help Penny. Grim however saw her approach and threw Penny directly at her. Viola was knocked over from intercepting the thrown eight year old girl and found herself once again on the ground. Kurama however was on his feet again and was swinging his sword at Grim.

Viola quickly rolled Penny off her, ready to help Kurama in the fight. Suddenly, movement out of the corner of her eye caught her attention and she looked back down at Penny. Her immediate thought was that Penny was having a seizure of some sorts. It was then that Viola saw the darkness firmly clamped over Penny's mouth and nose. Penny's eyes were wide with desperation as she was futility clawing at the darkness with her fingers.

Grim had knocked Kurama aside once again and looked over at Viola. A smile played over his lips as he looked at the struggling girl.
    "One down. Two to go."

Panic was filling Viola's body.
    "What did you do to her?!"

Grim pointed at the darkness on Penny's face.
    "I made the darkness solid, preventing any air from getting to her lungs. She is effectively suffocating right now."

The world seemed to become surreal to her as she looked back down at Penny. Her eyes were slowly losing focus and closing. Viola tried to pry the darkness off, but it was firmly latched onto Penny's mouth. In her panicked state, she thought furiously to think up a solution. Then it suddenly clicked that her sound seemed to effect Grim's darkness. Looking at her hand, she concentrated, feeling the warmth spread through it. She then felt and heard her hand vibrating rapidly, causing it to hum faintly. She then looked back down at Penny's closed eyes. Hoping it wasn't too late, she pressed her hand onto the darkness.

Instantly, the darkness began to evaporate into a mist upon contact with her hand. In less than a minute, all of the darkness was off. However, Penny did not react or move after the darkness was off her face. Fear gripped around Viola's insides at what the outcome seemed to be. She quickly placed her ear right to Penny's chest and listened as hard as she could.

Silence...

...Then a faint "Thu-dump" was heard. It was so faint that no normal human could hear it, but Viola's sensitivity to sound could unmistakably make out the sound of a heart beat and the slow sound of soft breathing. Viola sat back up with a huge sigh of relief.

Grim however looked down at her with disappointment.
    "So, you managed to save Penny, huh? Big deal. Because now its your life that's at stake now."
    He took a step towards her. Just then, Viola saw Kurama appear behind Grim, swing his sword as if to decapitate him. Grim however must have sensed Kurama and managed to duck under it just in time. He then kicked off at the floor and flew across the room out through the hole he made early with the help of his darkness.

Viola quickly placed Penny down gently onto the floor and raced out with Kurama through the hole. They emerged onto a balcony with Grim facing them both. Behind him, Viola saw as the last of the sun's rays disappeared over the horizon. Grim's face was full of victorious mirth.
    "Darkness has fallen. I am now invincible."
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2012-10-28 at 12:45 AM.

30. - Top - End - #600
    Titan in the Playground

Blame my teachers and classes and school for filling two whole weeks with midterms and quizzes and essays for me to do. That and the fact that I had trouble thinking up how to start this scene. Fortunately, I have it all planned out from here on in so updates will become more frequent now.