New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 36 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld Thread XI: Finally, it's HAMMER-TIME!

Quote Originally Posted by Yana View Post
    Whatever happened to those days?
    Rob discovered, he didn't need to bother. 'Member when Erfworld had a good, concise story (I'm referring to Book 1 and possibly parts of Book 2)? Good times.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Ogre in the Playground

How many more pages of random prologue are there?

3. - Top - End - #453
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yana View Post
    I actually consider Lord Forecastle to be the pinnacle of Rob's writing. It was different enough from the main narrative while being self-contained and had an engaging main cast who worked to solve problems using info they had on hand instead of getting victories handed to them.

Whatever happened to those days?
    Imo that was the beginning of the end for me. Not because the story was bad, I loved it. But after that came the rap opera that he dropped two updates in and it all started getting spotty from there, at least from my viewpoint at the time.
    Last edited by Chromascope3D; 2018-12-06 at 09:51 AM.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    Enough to kill off the comic last several months.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

5. - Top - End - #455
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Enough to kill off the comic last several months.
    Hey, if it didn't kill the Simpsons, it probably won't kill Erfworld either...

6. - Top - End - #456
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    A total of between twelve to twenty has been threatened. And with the SKIPsign to UPDATEsign ratio being what it is? There could be six months of this nonsense.
    Last edited by Whispri; 2018-12-07 at 12:40 PM.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Titan in the Playground

I never read the Duke Forecastle story, because while it might or might not have been good, it crossed the side-story fatigue for me. I just couldn't find it in myself to care about yet another Erf spinoff.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Dwarf in the Playground

So he makes a blog post in which he talks (among other things) about the page he'll be posting today and yet, here we are with SKIPsign. Words fail me. He's also plotting the return of those thrice cursed ads.
    Last edited by Whispri; 2018-12-12 at 12:35 AM.

9. - Top - End - #459
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    I never read the Duke Forecastle story, because while it might or might not have been good, it crossed the side-story fatigue for me. I just couldn't find it in myself to care about yet another Erf spinoff.
    Duke Forecastle I think was the one side story I read entirely with my interest held the entire time. It's definitely my favorite of the bunch.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

10. - Top - End - #460
    Dwarf in the Playground

And we have a (late) backer update. Seems a bit grim.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Ogre in the Playground

After 4 books, we get in the basic barbarian spawning mechanics that somehow were never mentioned by either side before. Quality!

Would've expected GK to meet at least a few since they were often doing some pretty heavy scouting over wide areas for dwagon hunting. Also in book 1 GK was out of living warlords but had their maphack allowing to see every unit in a massive area, couldn't they just find and pick up some of those random warlords to fill in the officer ranks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

12. - Top - End - #462
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    After 4 books, we get in the basic barbarian spawning mechanics that somehow were never mentioned by either side before. Quality!

Would've expected GK to meet at least a few since they were often doing some pretty heavy scouting over wide areas for dwagon hunting. Also in book 1 GK was out of living warlords but had their maphack allowing to see every unit in a massive area, couldn't they just find and pick up some of those random warlords to fill in the officer ranks?
    I am going to assume that "with the same frequency" really means "pop the same way". Like if every hex rolls a die to decide what feral to pop, minty-mountains hexes pop a dragon on a 1 - 50 out of 1000 and pop a speaking unit on a 1000. And then it rolls against another table with a Marbit tribe popping on a 1 - 100, a gobwin tribe popping on a 101-200, some other tribes popping on 301- 399, and a warlord popping on a 400. Then it randomly generates a warlord, with no actual care to what the local terrain is.

Or, Rob is a hack who didn't think this through.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

13. - Top - End - #463
    Troll in the Playground

Also, does Stanley REALLY strike you as the kind of guy to go 'hey, why don't we snag a barbarian warlord instead of just promoting a pretty guy?'
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

14. - Top - End - #464
    Barbarian in the Playground

I hear the complaints but I don't care. Best update all year! (edit: I am aware this isn't a high bar. I have not been happy with the direction of the comic for a long time)

No strings, politics, super magical cheats, prophecies, or arkentools, just one warlord that is fighting to survive in a hostile environment. On top of that, I didn't feel like the narration dragged on for ages with nothing happening. The situation was quickly summed up and we are into the action. I'd prefer war tactics (been ages since there's been a good battle) but I'll take it.

Personally, I'm thrilled to see a mention that a level 1 has "limited move" I've always believed that getting a higher level increases base move, and this is as good a confirmation as I'm likely to get.

Surprised by the ants. I kinda thought that insects weren't really a thing, and really surprised that they hunt such large targets, at NIGHT no less. Never heard of a night hunter before. I think the ant tactics are pretty bad though. If they wanted to kill the warlord at night, then they shouldn't be biting at him all day. They should let him come to the hex, think it's a nice place to take a nap, and then swarm him while he's asleep. Otherwise you risk chasing your prey away. The only reason this didn't happen is because he was out of move.
    Last edited by tomaO2; 2018-12-13 at 10:09 PM.

15. - Top - End - #465
    Ogre in the Playground

Ya i agree, its a nice little story. NO idea why Noah's story is part of the book 5 prologue though; seems like it has nothing to do with the main story and really is just the set up for a series of one shots.

Granted, i do find these barabarian mechanics bizarre. Like why would their signamancy and specials all be randomized? I mean can penquins pop in the dessert? Cause if not then I would think that a barbarian warlord should naturally have specials and signamancy relative to their environment. And if foraging can only cover half a units upkeep then how do ferals survive? Do Ferals just follow different rules than what barbarian warlords have to follow. What is the point of even allowing warlords and casters to pop in the wild if they are also popped with almost no chance of survival... Really it just seems like a bizarre mechanic.

16. - Top - End - #466

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    What is the point of even allowing warlords and casters to pop in the wild if they are also popped with almost no chance of survival... Really it just seems like a bizarre mechanic.
    Probably to add some flavor. Might also act as a failsafe in the event that a majority of Erfworld's capital sides collapse.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    Also, does Stanley REALLY strike you as the kind of guy to go 'hey, why don't we snag a barbarian warlord instead of just promoting a pretty guy?'
    Considering how Stanley's always looking for ways to save smuckers, yes. Promoting infantry to warlords is pretty expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    I hear the complaints but I don't care. Best update all year!

No strings, no politics, no super magic, or arkentools, just one warlord that is fighting to survive in a hostile environment. I personally prefer war tactics but I'll take it.

Personally, I'm thrilled to see a mention that a level 1 has "limited move" I've always believed that getting a higher level increases base move, and this is as good a confirmation as I'm likely to get.

Surprised by the ants. I kinda thought that insects weren't really a thing, and really surprised that they hunt such large targets, at NIGHT no less. Never heard of a night hunter before. I think the ant tactics are pretty bad though. If they wanted to kill the warlord at night, then they shouldn't be biting at him all day. They should let him come to the hex, think it's a nice place to take a nap, and then swarm him while he's asleep. Otherwise you risk chasing your prey away. The only reason this didn't happen is because he was out of move.

Heh, yes it's probably the best update of the year, but that wasn't exactly a high bar to surpass.

I think the whole "finish him off at night" is just that our new warlord will eventually need to lay down to rest due to exhaustion at night, and then the ants will be able to fully swarm him.
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

18. - Top - End - #468

RedWizardGuy

New page.

He found a customer for one of his daily rations.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Ogre in the Playground

Can't believe I missed it last time, but "fumo" is italian/portuguese for "smoke"

20. - Top - End - #470
    Banned

Can't believe I missed it last time, but "fumo" is italian/portuguese for "smoke"
    Latin too, which I guess shouldn't be surprising.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Ogre in the Playground

To sum up this exemplary side story:

Spoiler
    Show
    -Dark and horrible outlook
    -Unit fits against this with series of clever and increasingly desperate plans
    -The plans don't matter, he gets lucky
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

22. - Top - End - #472
    Ogre in the Playground

Still better than stringspoliticssignsstringsigns.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Welf View Post
    To sum up this exemplary side story:

Spoiler
    Show
    -Dark and horrible outlook
    -Unit fits against this with series of clever and increasingly desperate plans
    -The plans don't matter, he gets lucky
    That's basically the main plot, too.

Considering how Stanley's always looking for ways to save smuckers, yes. Promoting infantry to warlords is pretty expensive.
    Heck, we know that warlord corpses produce warlord uncroaked, so they could have just slaughtered them and have Wanda make them into undead.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2018-12-21 at 02:21 PM.

24. - Top - End - #474

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Heck, we know that warlord corpses produce warlord uncroaked, so they could have just slaughtered them and have Wanda make them into undead.
    Most of them would be level 1 though, might not be worth the trouble.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JavaScribe View Post
    Most of them would be level 1 though, might not be worth the trouble.
    Low level, less capable than a living warlord of the same level, and on a time limit due to decay. It would work with the 'pliers, but with those she was able to decrypt entire enemy armies (warlords and all), making the ability to make one level 1 uncroaked formerly-barbarian warlord out of a random encounter a moot point.

26. - Top - End - #476
    Banned

It's a moot point anyway. When they truly could have used these random Warlords they didn't have the knowledge or the ability to recruit them. Now that they have the ability to scout for them and recruit them they have no need for them.

Even if one popped close enough to the city to grab, what were they going to do? Send Stanley or Wanda out to recruit level 1 warlords with a massive enemy army on their doorstep? The risk vs reward there isn't good.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2018-12-22 at 02:57 AM.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    It's a moot point anyway. When they truly could have used these random Warlords they didn't have the knowledge or the ability to recruit them. Now that they have the ability to scout for them and recruit them they have no need for them.

Even if one popped close enough to the city to grab, what were they going to do? Send Stanley or Wanda out to recruit level 1 warlords with a massive enemy army on their doorstep? The risk vs reward there isn't good.
    Book 1 starts with Wanda being sent in a dwagon to collect their most recent dead warlord that had croaked all the way in other city, so yes they did precisely that. The risk is negligible when you have maphack link making sure there's no ambushes in between.

28. - Top - End - #478
    Halfling in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Book 1 starts with Wanda being sent in a dwagon to collect their most recent dead warlord that had croaked all the way in other city, so yes they did precisely that. The risk is negligible when you have maphack link making sure there's no ambushes in between.
    Wasn't there an unconfirmed Charlie intrigue angle that he was messing with spawn rates?

29. - Top - End - #479

Yes, he was messing with gobwins, to stop them from spawning around GK, or that is Parson's theory anyway.

No idea how he did that, but if he could stop gobwins from spawning, he could probably also stop warlords from spawning too. Not sure why he would, but you can't rule anything out with Charlie

30. - Top - End - #480
    Halfling in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    Yes, he was messing with gobwins, to stop them from spawning around GK, or that is Parson's theory anyway.

No idea how he did that, but if he could stop gobwins from spawning, he could probably also stop warlords from spawning too. Not sure why he would, but you can't rule anything out with Charlie
    By preference he likes to do his plots without people knowing he's done anything. If he did want the hammer out of Stanley's grasp then that would have been an invisible way to weaken GK. I don't remember if he actually cared about it at that point though. Did Parson think he was responsible for all the dwagons Stanley got to tame on the way to hitting FAQ?