New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [Avatar d20 Project] Setting Main Hub

I couldn't think of another attribute that it seemed like they would recieve a bonus in. I might've done wisdom, but since we use wisdom for bending modifiers, that's impossible. What do you think of a constitution bonus, then? The reason I picked charisma is because, as I said previously, they seem friendly enough, but I'm willing to change it if something else makes more sense. And yes, your help would be appreciated.
    Lao Tzu
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nature never hurries, yet everything is accomplished.
    A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent upon arriving.

Samurai, Anachronisms, and Swords
    Spoiler
    Show

Builder of the:

Jomei, Wandering Miner (Now an avatar thanks to Nevitan)

Avatar: The Last Airbender fanfiction:
    Scorched Earth

2. - Top - End - #242
    Pixie in the Playground

Might I make a general suggestion? Being completely new to the project, I'm finding it very difficult to find and identify what information is current across the several threads regarding the project. Many of the threads talk about many things (lavabending and racial stats in the same topic). I think it would be beneficial for the organization of the project if we had our own forums. That way we could create one thread for a discussion on Airbenders, one thread for Earthbenders, one thread for weapons, etc. We could do that here, but I think it would clog up the GITP forum that is used for many different homebrew projects.

In summary: Our own Avatar d20 forums, yes/no?

I know I would also like some sort of chat program. Like most people, I like instant gratification and an instant messaging (like AIM or IRC) or VOIP (Skype or Ventrilo) program might be nice to discuss things quicker. The forums are nice because everything is documented and recorded, but the additonal option might be helpful too. This is just a personal preference.

I know a vent server costs money, but has some nice features as far as channels go. However, Skype is free and also very nice. Both programs support both VOIP and IMing.

Again, this is just my opinion and it might be something to consider if others feel this way.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Firbolg in the Playground

Rapid talk would be great, but there aren't many people involved deeply with the project who can get on at the same time, I'm sure.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

4. - Top - End - #244
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by demegrade View Post
    Water: This style would use wisdom still but the racial abilities should be changed to +2 wisdom, -2 charisma. They have a lot of common sence but arent very nice.

Fire: This style would use strength but the racial abilities should be changed to +2 strength, -2 wisdom. They are powerful fighters but are head strong.

Earth: This style would use Constitution. Its racial abilities can remain the same

Wind: This style would use Dexterity. Its racial abilities can remain the same
    Here's my take on this. I agree that Wisdom should still be the ability used for all bending. As someone mentioned earlier, I believe that it is more the understanding of the element that determines the power of the bender. Part of the problem of using other stats is what I call "double-counting." In reality, Wis normally does little for the character other than increase will saves. Str, con, and dex are all used in important combat situations. If these are used to also determine the strength of bending, the bending classes would become overpowered.

For example, an Earthbender's Con mod not only improves his HP and fort save, but also makes his bending stronger. Another example, an Airbender's Dex mod not only improves his ranged (an possibly melee) attacks, skills, and ref save, but now it also makes his bending more powerful. There is too much benefit being added to one score.

I can see changing the bending ability to use Int, Wis, or Cha depending on the type, just like normal casters. But using the more "combat-oriented" abilities makes the classes overpowered.
    Last edited by Bajaaku; 2008-10-09 at 12:52 PM.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AstralFire View Post
    Rapid talk would be great, but there aren't many people involved deeply with the project who can get on at the same time, I'm sure.
    Yeah, probably. However, we could still all get Skype or something and share our names so we could contact someone faster if need be.

I still think getting our own forums would be useful. Heck, I think I could even set up some free forums if there's an interest in it. I'd have to look into what sort of features are available for free. I've used www.freewebs.com to make my own website before and I know you can add forums, but I've never tried.
    Last edited by Bajaaku; 2008-10-09 at 12:48 PM.

6. - Top - End - #246

Proboards.com is free. I also have the available webspace/bandwidth to host boards (and have done so before) however - no one's going to use it. (Speaking from experience here with other stuff). This project has largely crawled to a stop, so getting people to regularly remember to go over to this unattached forum would be difficult. A better idea might be to ask if Av20 could get its own forum family like Tears of Blood, but I don't know what the process is for that, especially given that it has slowed down largely.
    Last edited by AstralFire; 2008-10-09 at 12:53 PM.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Pixie in the Playground

If the project has slowed down, then its up to everyone who's interested to bring it back or finish it. Where did everyone go? Hopefully the lead developers didn't abandon it.
    Last edited by Bajaaku; 2008-10-09 at 12:57 PM.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Barbarian in the Playground

Conforums.com is also free.

My beef with racial modifiers or culture modifiers is twofold. One: I'm set in my ways. The idea of racial modifiers has come up several times, and is always shut down, generally with very good arguements. Two: I think that our Ranger and Monk classes allow for enough variation within themselves and between them to allow for 'different styles' of character. I mean, no two human fighters HAVE to be the same. No two elven wizards are the same, no two half-orc barbarians are the same. So between Jet and Sokka, as in your example, it's more a matter of choices than of having a +2 to dex or a +2 to str.

EDIT: I believe Eighthseraph had to back out because of school, and I'm not sure where our resident Zombear is...
    Last edited by String; 2008-10-09 at 01:03 PM.
    -Currently Playing-
    Spoiler
    Show
    Roan Arathane, Level 4 Human Resourceful Warlord and
    Devis, Level 4 Half-elf Bard in Dame Morbid's Tournament
    Margan Flintfist, Level 1 Dwarven Fighter in Therinn Adventures

-Old Homebrew Projects-
    Spoiler
    Show
    Project Leader: Deity's Order (Currently Stalled)
    Contributer: Avatar d20 (Currently Struggling Back from Dead)
    Contributer: Lords of Creation

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

My view on a new venue for the project is simply, it won't work for a number of reasons. Firstly, the project is, from a overall design stand point, finished. We've created a thoroughly deep system on top of the D20 framework and filled in all necessary components. All that's happening now is splatbook material which is not as popular because many don't feel it is necessary. The system is proven to be relatively balanced with both non-bender systems and has a near limitless form structure. Thus, the project doesn't have much to discuss which is one reason I'm taking up the task of updating the pdf. When I made the first version, the project was in a playable state with a bit of a dispute between the non-benders and a few little tweaks could have fixed it up a bit more, but overall it was completed. No the tweaks are done, the non-benders are finalized and a few new additions have been made, but most of what is happening now is, as I said before, splatbook material. The other reason another venue won't work is, as Astral Fire said, those within the project are too geologically spread apart that finding a time for a chat would be near impossible without excluding a number of people, also an external forum would, IMO, go against the spirit of this being a Giantitp Community effort. And of course, because the project is effectively done, traffic would be very low. As far as I can tell, the old lead designers are satisfied with what was achieved and have moved on. I have no intention of adding anything more to the project other than a last official pdf of the final project.

- LT

10. - Top - End - #250
    Pixie in the Playground

I wasn't really arguing the racial mods, I was talking about using abilities other than Wis for bending. Unless your post isn't directed at me >.>

I'm not sure whether or not I like the idea of racial mods if everyone is human. I wouldn't say that their location has anything to do with their physical qualities. They are all of the same species, just like we are. It's the character's personality and class that sets them apart from each other.

11. - Top - End - #251

Quote Originally Posted by Bajaaku View Post
    If the project has slowed down, then its up to everyone who's interested to bring it back or finish it. Where did everyone go? Hopefully the lead developers didn't abandon it.
    Most of the old guard on the matter feel it is done to their satisfaction.

I am in an overhaul project on another forum for it (and some people here are aware of that), but I haven't made mention of it given the fact that the people here are satisfied with it - no reason to stir up anything.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tataraus View Post
    My view on a new venue for the project is simply, it won't work for a number of reasons. Firstly, the project is, from a overall design stand point, finished. We've created a thoroughly deep system on top of the D20 framework and filled in all necessary components. All that's happening now is splatbook material which is not as popular because many don't feel it is necessary. The system is proven to be relatively balanced with both non-bender systems and has a near limitless form structure. Thus, the project doesn't have much to discuss which is one reason I'm taking up the task of updating the pdf. When I made the first version, the project was in a playable state with a bit of a dispute between the non-benders and a few little tweaks could have fixed it up a bit more, but overall it was completed. No the tweaks are done, the non-benders are finalized and a few new additions have been made, but most of what is happening now is, as I said before, splatbook material. The other reason another venue won't work is, as Astral Fire said, those within the project are too geologically spread apart that finding a time for a chat would be near impossible without excluding a number of people, also an external forum would, IMO, go against the spirit of this being a Giantitp Community effort. And of course, because the project is effectively done, traffic would be very low. As far as I can tell, the old lead designers are satisfied with what was achieved and have moved on. I have no intention of adding anything more to the project other than a last official pdf of the final project.

- LT
    I can understand that. Like I said, being completely new to the project I was unsure with it's current status.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Pixie in the Playground

I am in an overhaul project on another forum for it (and some people here are aware of that), but I haven't made mention of it given the fact that the people here are satisfied with it - no reason to stir up anything.
    Would you be willing to PM or Email me the link to that discussion? I'd be curious to see what other people are working on for the project.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Barbarian in the Playground

Astralfire: Could you elaborate a bit more on the overhaul? Sorry, looks like you stirred me up. I'm not upset or anything. Just interested.
    -Currently Playing-
    Spoiler
    Show
    Roan Arathane, Level 4 Human Resourceful Warlord and
    Devis, Level 4 Half-elf Bard in Dame Morbid's Tournament
    Margan Flintfist, Level 1 Dwarven Fighter in Therinn Adventures

-Old Homebrew Projects-
    Spoiler
    Show
    Project Leader: Deity's Order (Currently Stalled)
    Contributer: Avatar d20 (Currently Struggling Back from Dead)
    Contributer: Lords of Creation

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

Overhaul eh? I must say I'm intrigued, though I bet I won't like it since it is an overhaul of my creation (well, I was part of the creation). Is it an overhaul of the bender system of the project as a whole (as in non-bender as well)?

16. - Top - End - #256

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tataraus View Post
    Overhaul eh? I must say I'm intrigued, though I bet I won't like it since it is an overhaul of my creation (well, I was part of the creation). Is it an overhaul of the bender system of the project as a whole (as in non-bender as well)?
    No, the priority is on benders playable in 3.x standard, with some considerations on their own setting. Work is currently a bit stalled due to my main computer with my editing and publishing tools being down, the same reason Anteheroes doesn't have a PDF at the moment.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

No, the priority is on benders playable in 3.x standard, with some considerations on their own setting. Work is currently a bit stalled due to my main computer with my editing and publishing tools being down, the same reason Anteheroes doesn't have a PDF at the moment.
    Why are they not playable in 3.x as of now? Unless they changed drastically in my absence they are in between a non-caster and a full caster in power, a lot more balanced than most official classes. Though, granted that does make the assumption of the defense bonus rules, but that's a pretty minor difference. The only major problem with benders being playable in 3.x is that multi-classing makes them broken because of the nature of the skill system. To change that you can just separate it into a caster level check-type thing with a variety of bonuses through feats.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Bugbear in the Playground

Just posting quickly to reassure people that I'm still around and still check these threads. This project is near and dear to my heart, and I won't completely abandon it, at least as long as others are somewhat interested.

I think I haven't posted before now because, to be honest, as much as I love this project, it's been almost two years since I started it and I'm feeling a little bit burnt out on Avatar d20. Like Lord T said, the core work on the project is (by and large) completed and the stuff being discussed now is "splatbook" stuff about which, to be honest, I don't have really strong opinions. Like I said, I'm not going to abandon things and will probably pick up my posting if the project continues, but that's why I haven't posted until now. I know it's a little bit selfish, but there it is.

Now, though, having posted, I feel obligated to comment more substantly. I want to quickly touch on the issue of using other abilities to govern bending. Most of what I have to say has been said before and I won't reiterate, but I just want to make clear that, when this issue has come up in the past, we've ultimately decided to leave it wisdom-based because the consensus has been that this represents the best synergy between the depictions of bending in the show and the mechanical dictates of the d20 system. True, benders like the Boulder don't seem particularly wise, but he does seem to have an intuitive understanding of his element that could easily represent a moderate to high wisdom score.

Next, I can understand the desire to have different racial stats for members of the different nations. It adds some more variety at character creation, opens up new options, and makes non-benders from different nations feel different. I'd like to see completed versions of the races (I think they're still incomplete, there are some things that kinda confuse me). For me, the problem has been finding a balance between making the nations completely different racially (with ability modifiers and significant racial abilities) and making more subtle racial differences meaningful in the game. To me, the show seems pretty clear that the nations are not different races in the same way that elves and dwarves and humans are different. However, anything more subtle and it gets difficult to make the racial statistics significant, negating the primary benefit of crafting racial statistics. This is the reason I haven't posted racial statistics of my own before this.

Two other general notes before I comment on the specifis of the Zak's races. The fact that Wisdom is the only mental ability score that is significant for class abilities means that a bonus to Intelligence (for example) isn't nearly as cool in this setting as it would be in a normal d20 setting. It might be a good idea to stick to altering physical abilities, even if this would result in some overlap. Another suggestion I have would be to use non-bending classes for favored classes as a way of encouraging non-benders to adopt different styles of combat. My suggestion would be: Water Tribe - ranger (survival skills, hunting focus, etc.), Earth Kingdom - barbarian (simple, direct, focused on Strength and Constitution), Fire Nation - fighter (tend to represent more disciplined, military fighters), Air Nomads - martial artist (duh).

Finally, some specific comments. First, I think that Air Nomads shouldn't have a bonus to saves against high winds. The ability should at least be written to exclude high winds resulting from airbending, otherwise it would be almost impossible to affect an Air Nomad with an airbending attack. Second, it should be noted that, with very few exceptions, all non-NPC opponents in the Avatar setting are animals. This means that Water Tribe members get a +1 bonus to attack and damage against pretty much everything, which seems inappropriate to me. Finally, I'm kinda confused about the Earth Kingdom writeup. It says they get a +4 bonus on saves against <blank>. Is something supposed to go there and it just hasn't been finished yet, or am I missing something. If we're still looking for something, how 'bout a +2 (not +4) bonus on saves to avoid being moved (kinda like a dwarf's stability ability). Also, what does "Attack and damage" refer to?

Those are my comments. Hope that helps.

Mephibosheth

Edit: To comment on the overhaul project briefly, I think the goal is to make the system deal more affectively with things like magic items granting skill bonuses. If nothing has changed since I checked it last, it uses a level-based mechanic for bending checks instead of a skill-based one. I remember being impressed, but haven't followed it since. I don't really have a problem with AstralFire mentioning it, but it did result directly from some conflicts in past discussions here.
    Last edited by Mephibosheth; 2008-10-09 at 03:00 PM.
    The Scroungers Campaign Setting
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew
    A Zombiemageddon Campaign Journal!

19. - Top - End - #259
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wow, you look away for a few hours, and this happens. All right. Let me respond to the various issues, in order.

Project Completion: Yes, it is pretty much just picking over details, what I've been kicking around, but it's the little things that really make things engaging. Or so I've always thought. Anyway, if there's overwhelming objection, I've no problem with finding something else to do. I just like doing this. Though I think variants are rather fun.

Wisdom for Bending: Yes, definitely in favor of keeping wisdom, as I mentioned before.

Racial Stats: All right, for the last time, the stats I have put up are incomplete. I have left things blank because I don't know what to put there. Give me a little credit at least. Sorry, just that that questoin has been asked twice before and I want to put an end to it. Anyway, I understand preferring just humans and using roleplaying and existing system quirks to flesh out characters, but there are a few things that can only be accounted for by racial modifiers or 'cultural' modifiers, if you prefer, and honestly, I just put up the stats because I thought it might be an interesting exercise and variant rule.

Specifics: Well, for a nation composed completely of Airbenders, it's hard to come up with bonuses that aren't already given to them. I had a kind of formula going, though, and I wanted to give everybody bonuses that were the same numerically, but for a different thing. However, I didn't intend it to be used for saves against airbending, so don't worry about that. Attack and damage stems from the idea I had of giving everybody some kind of enemy they were better at fighting, like the Water Tribe, but I think that idea won't work out too well, so just ignore that. Since these race wouldn't get the bonus feat and skill points for being human, they have to have some fairly hefty compensation. I considered the stability, I admit, but I didn't want to make the Earth Kingdom too much like dwarves. If you think it would be acceptable, I have no problems with using it.
    Lao Tzu
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Builder of the:

Scorched Earth

20. - Top - End - #260

If you'd really like to discuss the specific items of the overhaul, T, I can go over it with you in PM. I've mentioned the existence of the overhaul here purely due to lingering guilt about working on something that does build on the prior work here without ever even mentioning it. I figured as the original project progenitor, you had a right to know that something was being done with it; but I don't really care to bring down a lot of wrath on my head like the last time I started talking a lot about changing mechanics here.

For what it is worth, I don't think the discussion is really worth it, since a lot of it stems from large differences in basic design principles, which are a personal choice.

Meph, you are allowed to be a little self-centered. Not selfish, self-centered. 2 years is a long time to be working on anything for a hobby, especially in committee. Frankly, the level of dedication is very impressive. I can only hope I'm still so interested in the upkeep of my system in two years.
    Last edited by AstralFire; 2008-10-09 at 06:45 PM.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The thing is friendly <> apt speakers. Probably their habits would be off-putting to most cultures. as it is, southern tribers have some trouble getting along, but they manage, but they're fairly rural. Imagine a big-city earth or fire bender trying to get along!
    I'm afraid I have no idea what would fit.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Dwarf in the Playground

New area write-up. I'm back, and this time, I'm doing the Fire Nation. It shouldn't take nearly as long as the Earth Kingdom, since I've only divided it into three regions, but even so, it'll be awhile. Anyway, if you really want to do the rest of the Fire Nation, please tell me, and I'll move on to somewhere else.

Taketsu Islands/The Dragon’s Tail

“Upon my arrival to these islands, I was at once struck by the energy that seems to show itself in everything here. This land is a raw one, and this deep sense of the primeval has bled into the people, who never seem to do anything halfway. Here, there is always work to be done, and done with passion.”
    -Rem Jha the Traveler, journal entry.

Spoiler
    Show
    Population: 98, 356
    Government: Monarchy
    Imports: Iron, copper, timber, silk, quality stone.
    Exports: Spices, ship supplies, pearls, seafood, ships.
    Alignment: LN, CG, NE

The outlands of the Fire Nation, the Taketsu Islands are nonetheless centers of country life, and densely populated as is most of the Fire Nation. With more than a few active volcanoes, the citizens’ enjoyment of life may stem in part from the fact that at any minute, their homes may be engulfed in lava. With shipping as a major concern, the waters are heavily patrolled by the Fire Navy in an effort to curb pirate activity, but it occurs anyway. Production is concentrated in a few major centers of commerce.

Life and Society:

Life in the Taketsu Islands stands on the twin pillars of agriculture and industry against the assault of the seasons, which include a blazing hot summer, a monsoon season in the autumn, and spring rains that leave everything wet through. The winter is actually more comfortable than in other nations, but the citizens still think it too cool. Many citizens work in the factories and on the docks, while others concentrate on fishing the storm-tossed seas and farming the rich volcanic soil. Life never stops, even at night, and visitors have remarked that they feel lazy when compared to the fast pace of life. The craftsmen here are renowned for fine fireworks, and even the smallest of hamlets generally have a few skyflowers to shoot off at celebrations.

Major Geographical Features:

Crescent Island: The easternmost part of the Fire Nation, this tiny speck of land is an active volcano that constantly pours a slow river of lava into the ocean. With no other attraction, it is uninhabited. It is named for its shape, which is a slender curve, like a crescent.

Shumei Island: This small island holds the easternmost settlements that are still in the Fire Nation proper, and is only half a day’s sailing north of Crescent Island. Consisting mostly of low hills interspersed with old lava tubes that have long since been mined out of obsidian and other such materials and covered sparsely with trees that don’t mind the salt spray and inclement weather, it is an unremarkable place. Yet it does hold one of the more desirable upper-class schools in the islands, and those who can afford to send their children here do so. The few villages that line the coast specialize in trade, having first access to imports from the Earth Kingdom, and the first chance to export goods of the Taketsu.

Hizashi Island: More populous and with a greater economic base, Hizashi Island tends to overshadow its neighbors, even though a lot of its wealth comes from making weapons for the Fire Army. With the end of the war, many people here are out of work, and the citizens are beginning to become angry at the Fire Lord for letting it happen. The island itself is typical of the outer Taketsu, with grassland and tropical forests dominating the interior, and the shores lined with rocky bluffs. The Jang Hui River, the biggest on the island, flows from the highest point into the northern seas.

Kohaku Island: This island rises higher than the outer half of the Taketsu. The craggy hills hold a lush bamboo forest as well as a mighty river that flows over the biggest waterfall in the islands on its way out to sea. Here, one begins to see towns as well as villages, and the biggest very nearly qualifies as a city. Shipping traffic often stops by, and Kohaku does a brisk trade in quality bamboo and some of the plants that go with it.

Hotaru Island: The westernmost of the outer islands, Hotaru has a jagged spine of hills that rise above the surrounding lands. An incredibly intricate system of streams and rivers, as well as, like many places in the Fire Nation, underground magma chambers, has resulted in a life built as much as water as fire. Some places hold natural hot springs, and palm trees line the beaches. The towns and cities here do very well growing the spices that most Fire Nation citizens love.

Inner Taketsu: The three largest islands in the outer Fire Nation are known collectively as the Inner Taketsu, and are much alike. The largest and westernmost of the islands, Kenzalo also holds the largest seaport, and the most heavily guarded locations beside the eastern blockade. The north of the island is under the shadow of the large volcano that periodically erupts, mostly flowing through well-established channels to the sea. Every so often however, it obliterates a section of grassland, and the land around it is clear of villages for some miles. The lava tunnels and chambers under it are quite intricate, and hold vast quantities of obsidian and volcanic crystals. A few mines in the safer sections harvest the stone, and the Fire Army maintains a hidden base within the caves, guarded by rivers of molten rock. The south of the island holds a low expanse of hills, forests, and grassland.

Important Sites:

Fire Avatar Temple (0, currently in ruins): This temple, built to honor and guide the Avatar was once one of the greatest of all its kind. It is where many past Avatars were trained to master firebending, and was noted for many architectural feats, such as the Fire Sanctuary, only accessible by a fully realized Avatar or five firebenders, secret passages through the lava of Crescent Island, where it was built, and a celestial calendar that used a sunstone, a rare spiritually attuned crystal, to enable an Avatar, even an unrealized one, to contact the Spirit World, but only on the winter and summer solstices. Once, the temple held dozens of Sages, and was honored by the attendance of those who wished to study the spirituality of fire. But after Fire Lord Sozin began his war, the Sages were forced to devote their talents to war and other pursuits that more directly served the Fire Nation.

By the time that Avatar Aang returned, only five descendants of the Sages remained here, with all but one loyal to the Fire Lord. When Aang visited the temple, and was able to enter the sanctuary to speak with Avatar Roku, Roku temporarily took control of Aang, and destroyed the temple with the power of the Avatar State. The temple has been rebuilt before, most recently when it was partially destroyed by Roku when he was alive, in a failed attempt to master the Avatar State, and the Fire Sages would like to see it rise once again, but as the new Fire Lord has other, more pressing concerns, it remains desolate, and is likely to be so for the foreseeable future.

Shu Jing (Large Town, 1,358): This town is one of the more peaceful places of the islands, and is well known for manufacturing quality weapons and armor. Surrounded by spectacular natural settings, it is otherwise insignificant. Many soldiers and warriors come here to buy their equipment, and the resulting martial population has given rise to an informal tournament of skill held every week, drawing large crowds.

Royal Fire Academy: Located on Kenzalo Island, this extensive school for the future nobility of the Fire Nation is considered the finest in the country. It teaches all subjects, and offers instruction in multiple forms of combat for those found capable. The school is actually two complexes inside one wall, one for boys and one for girls. Anyone caught sneaking into an academy they don’t belong in is severely punished, but such infractions occur regularly anyway. The Academy houses quite possibly the second-best collection of knowledge in the Fire Nation, and visitors often come here to consult the archives. The sections dealing with firebending are sealed with fire locks and require permission from a master to enter. Some of the Fire Nation’s greatest minds have emerged from here, and it has a proud tradition of excellence, putting students under a lot of pressure to succeed.

Jang Hui (Village, 413): Built in the center of the river for which is it named, this little town was until recently one of the most prosperous and thriving places in this part of the Fire Nation. But with the construction of a large factory that built weapons for the war effort, and dumped its waste into the river, Jang Hui lost most of its income from fishing. Any other food and medicine the village had was usually conscripted for the army as well, leaving the villagers struggling to survive. It was at this point when Katara of the Water Tribe, in disguise as the village’s patron spirit, the Painted Lady, destroyed the factory, and drove off the retaliatory forces launched against Jang Hui. Since the river was cleared, the village has been beginning to thrive again, but it has a long way to go before it becomes as prosperous as it once was. The Painted Lady is featured in many places in the village, and is said to protect them in times of need. She is held to be a benevolent river spirit, but very few people have ever seen her. Yet she does exist.

Fire Fountain City (Large City, 17,314): Located at the northwestern edge of Kenzalo Island, this city is the biggest industrial center of the Taketsu Islands. It changed its name to honor its most spectacular attraction, a gigantic statue of former Fire Lord Ozai that continually emits fire out of its fists and mouth as an ordinary fountain might do with water. It is unknown whether the new Fire Lord will order it taken down, but so far it remains in place. Fire Fountain City is not a particularly reputable place, and the streets at night are dangerous. Fights, whether with dice, cards, firebending, or swords, are common, though most of them are intended to be non-lethal. The industry produces a great deal of smoke, but it is mostly blown out to sea by the prevailing winds. However, the scent of ash, soot, and other less savory smells is always present. The city’s ruler is not very incorruptible, and receives compensation from many business in some way to overlook various unsafe or illegal practices they engage in.

Regional History: See History of the Avatar World.

Plots and Rumors: Forthcoming.

Notable Individuals:

Piandao. (Male human Fighter21) Considered the greatest swordmaster and swordmaker in Fire Nation history, Piandao lives in a peaceful estate in the countryside near Shu Jing. He leads a quiet life for the most part, practicing his arts—which include swordsmanship, painting, calligraphy, and rock gardening. He believes knowledge of these arts is an essential part of any warrior’s training. However, though many come to learn from him, he accepts very few students. It is customary to bring him something to prove your worth when requesting his instruction.

In his younger days, he fought many battles for the Fire Nation, and won them all. But after several years, he grew weary of war, and left the army, becoming one of the very few to do so and survive. Traveling the world for many years, he studied under many benders and artists before returning to the Fire Nation and settling in his current estate. Eventually, a Fire Nation company came to arrest him for deserting. After he defeated all one hundred men in a legendary battle, they haven’t bothered him again. In the name of what he once was, and his past accomplishments, they allow him to live. That, and it would be bad for army morale if they tried and failed again. It is rumored that he is associated with the Order of the White Lotus, and his estate does have a subtle flower motif in the decorations, but most know nothing of that. He recently left his estate to participate in the retaking of Ba Sing Se from the Fire Nation, but has since returned, and seems content to continue his life as he left it.
    Lao Tzu
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Builder of the:

Scorched Earth

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ettin in the Playground

Fire Blast
    Base DC: 5
    The first ability a firebender learns is Fire Blast. The firebender generates fire using the heat inside his body and propels it at great speeds toward his foe using a quick jab with his fist. A blast deals 1d6 damage at 1st level (dealing half damage to non-flammable objects) and increases in power as the firebender gains levels, as shown above. A blast is a ranged attack, and a firebender can use a number of blasts in one round equal to the number of iterative attacks he can make (as determined by his BAB).
    Shouldn't it be a ranged touch attack, since you're simply shooting a gout of fire at the target, which things like armour aren't going to be effective against? Alternatively, you could specify that certain sources of AC are inapplicable versus the attack.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Sheriff: Thread necromancy is disfavored on this Forum.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex