New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Upick 2 Thread 2: Revenge of the Upick

Previous Thread

Day 4

This phase will end on 29/10/2021 at 21:00 GMT.

Spoiler: Recruitment OP
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Unavenger View Post
    Welcome to another Upick, a weird twist on regular Mafia in which you pick your own role. How does this work, exactly? Read on!

(If you were in the previous Upick, tl;dr it works exactly the same as before.)

Spoiler: Standard Mafia Stuff
    Show
    Mafia, AKA Werewolf, is a game in which members of an uninformed majority, known as the Town, who don't know anyone else's alignment but their own, try to find members of an informed minority, called the Mafia, who know who is one of them and who isn't. The game starts at "Day", and players vote for who they think - or are pretending to think - is a member of the Mafia. Whoever gets the most votes is eliminated at the end of the Day. After each Day is one Night, in which people activate abilities that they may have access to, and the Mafia can choose one person between them to eliminate. The game ends when only one faction remains, or nothing can prevent this from happening.
    Spoiler: Specific Game Rules
    Show
    • Days and Nights are 48 hours each.
    • The execution vote will kill the person with the most votes, counting the last vote that is not crossed out. For example, Avatarvecna, Xihirli, Avatarvecna is a vote for Xihirli, not AvatarVecna. Tied votes will kill the person who was first to get to at least that many votes the last time they did so. For example, if Xihirli is at 4 votes, then AvatarVecna is at 4 votes, then Xihirli drops to 3 votes and goes back up to 4 votes, AvatarVecna will die, not Xihirli.
    • You may vote for No Execution. No Execution is calculated the same way as any vote for a specific person, but choosing not to vote is not counted at all. For example, four votes for No Execution and four votes for AvatarVecna is resolved like any other tie, but if there are four votes for AvatarVecna and four people not voting at all, AvatarVecna will die.
    • No early day end or "Hammer" vote is used, even if more than half of people end up voting for the same person at some point. Days are always 48 hours.
    • Some abilities may require a public broadcast that you are using them. I will resolve them as soon as possible; if you have an ability that won't be useful at the end of the day, using it near the end of the day might be inadvisable! Do not fake using abilities requiring a public broadcast (Such as REVEAL: INNOCENT CHILD or DAYVIG: XIHIRLI). This means you, Vecna and Valmark. Anyone doing so will die, and also lose the game even if their faction would otherwise win the game.
    • Kill flavours may tell you something interesting about how someone died, and what faction did it.
    • All actions are given a priority number. First goes first, last goes last. Generally, this tends to follow Natural Action Resolution, which is to say, abilities that can't possibly be affected by another ability go first.
    • Either you'll get a faction QuickTopic because you're the Mafia, or you won't, because you're not, and will have to use your personal QuickTopic. You can't get more QuickTopics unless you have an ability that says you can, so no chatting with your fellow players behind the scenes.
    Spoiler: Role Assignment: Upick
    Show
    Upicks are so named because you pick your role!

When the game is in the preparation stage - that is, after everyone has signed up to the game, just before Day 1, you will have a chance to send me two character concepts. These character concepts can be whatever you like so long as it's board-appropriate and otherwise just obviously not yikesy in any other way (be reasonable about this); the first concept should be your first preference, and please link an explanation for both concepts if they're something I might not know about. Other Upicks I've seen have featured anime characters, tanks, and the concept of YouTube Music videos as characters so do whatever you like.

Please don't use other real people - board members or otherwise - as characters, partly because yikes and partly because I don't want to have to write the sentence "AvatarVecna's role was Xihirli".

I will roll up the list of who is which faction before I create your character roles, so if you use a character who's actually a mafia member or actually a werewolf, you may still end up as town. I will then assign abilities that I think are appropriate to one of your chosen characters. I will try to use the first one, but if there's some problem with them I'll use the second one instead. They will match as best as I can make them while also (a) making sense within the context of Mafia, (b) not being very terribly overpowered, and (c) not being horrible to play with.

Abilities I promise I won't be using are:

• Cults and other alignment changing abilities;
    • Dreaming gods, false seers, inventors who don't know what their inventions do, and other hidden/random chance abilities;
    • Jesters (a role which wins the game by being executed);
    • Antisocial, Flagbearer and other modifiers which mess with who wins and loses the game to a significant extent;
    • Effects such as death millers which lie about death-reveal information;
    • "Janitor", "Cannibal" and other effects which can prevent deaths from being revealed.
    • Effects such as Beloved Princess which mess with the day/night order;
    • Effects that restrict how a player can post other than by killing them;
    • "Enabler" or "Switch" effects that can shut off a specified type of role (rather than roleblocking a specific player);
    • "Bus Driver", "Transporter", "Transmuter", "Mind-controller" "Mindslaver", "Witch", "Lightning Rod", "Mirror" or other names for a variety of effects which force someone to target someone other than their intended target;
    • "Normalizers" or other effects which permanently alter other people's roles (short of killing them);
    • "Phantom Queen", "Reviver", "Resurrectionist", "Retributionist" or other effects which change how death works for players other than yourself.

However, this does not mean that any of these won't show up:
    • "Doublevoter", "Loved", "Hated" and other modifiers that can change the number of votes flying around or the number needed to kill someone;
    • "Gladiator" or other effects which limit who is a valid target for a vote;
    • "Godfather", "Framer", "Lawyer", "Psychotrooper" or other effects which cause someone else's investigation to provide misleading information;
    • "Lover" and other roles that can cause a player to die when a condition is met;
    • Roles which return the truth or falsehood of an arbitrary statement;
    • "Copier" or "Illusionist" abilities which copy someone else's ability and use it on another specified target;
    • "Parity cop" or "Parity seer" roles, which provide the same result for two members of the same faction, but no indication of which faction yields which result (so it might yield "Winter" for town and "Summer" for Mafia);
    • "Restless Spirit" or "Vengeful" roles which change how death works for you;
    • "Medium" or "Necromancer" roles which can talk in dead chat while alive.

Recruitment is open!

Players so far:

1. AvatarVecna
    2. Captain Cap
    3. Snowblaze
    4. Batcathat
    5. SupaGoof
    6. CaoimhinTheCape
    7. Taffimai
    8. gac3
    9. Book Wombat
    10. Fext
    11. Moonfly7
    12. Xihirli
    13. BladeScape
    14. Elenna
    15. Metastachydium
    16. Rogan

Backup players:

1. EmmyNecromancer

Living Players

• Snowblaze
    • SupaGoof
    • Taffimai
    • Moonfly7
    • BladeScape
    • Metastachydium
    • Rogan

Dead Players:

1. CaoimhinTheCape, Cecil Palmer, executed Day 1
    2. Xihirli, Skye “Blue Angel” Zaizen, pinned to the wall with a crossbow bolt Night 1.
    3. Fext, the Flying Pumpkin, thrown out the airlock Day 2.
    4. Captain Cap, the Pied Piper of Hamelin, executed Day 2.
    5. gac3, Melinda Gordon, shot with a pistol and beaten to death Night 2.
    6. Book Wombat, Mr Hyde, committed suicide Day 3.
    7. Batcathat, The Machine, executed Day 3.
    8. AvatarVecna, Haley Starshine, torn up by a monstrous beast Night 3.
    9. Elenna, Sherlock Holmes, ritually sacrificed Night 3.
    Last edited by Unavenger; 2021-10-27 at 04:00 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Upick 2 Thread 2: Revenge of the Upick

Two threads, has this happened before?
    Every day...

Discord: bookwhyrm, feel free to DM.

Book Wombat's Extended Signature

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    -. --- - / -- ..- -.-. .... / .... . .-. .

3. - Top - End - #3

ClericGuy

Here is a prophecy that's nearly guaranteed to be right, even without mech backup: This game will be remembered!
    Needing a new thread before day 3 has even started.
    Spoiler: I'm a seer
    Show
    All the discussion of how weird the half-hour start is seems weirdly prescient, in retrospect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    Can I use my prediction of the half an hour being used to set up Factional chats as proof I am the Seer?
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue_alchemist View Post
    only IRL, not as in game proof, as we all know that recruitment threads don't count for making IG decisions

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

What fun!!

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Book Wombat's A Small Wager - A Practical Guide To Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Book Wombat View Post
    Two threads, has this happened before?
    I started scanning through the archives for an exact answer, but I was too lazy to finish the job, so all I'm going to say is that I bet it's kind of rare.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I'll look into it after I die.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Book Wombat's A Small Wager - A Practical Guide To Evil

My Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #7

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Not if I die first!

About 1 hour till a lot of questions are answered.
    Show
    All the discussion of how weird the half-hour start is seems weirdly prescient, in retrospect.
    Can I use my prediction of the half an hour being used to set up Factional chats as proof I am the Seer?
    only IRL, not as in game proof, as we all know that recruitment threads don't count for making IG decisions

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Not if I die first!

About 1 hour till a lot of questions are answered.
    Unless we're both roleblocked.

My Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Yay, second thread!
    I'm Chaotic Good! Ish!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Ironic, the only time this game I could maybe successfully use my "kill somebody roleblocked" power, and I'm using something else.

My Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #11

Unlikely.

Unless we're both roleblocked.
    Unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Elenna View Post
    Yay, second thread!
    UPick 2: where everybody's playing the long game.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2021-10-23 at 02:59 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    UPick 2: where everybody's playing the long game.
    And where I can't keep my mouth shut. At least, I won't be the top poster in this thread as well.

Unless......
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13

And where I can't keep my mouth shut. At least, I won't be the top poster in this thread as well.

Unless......
    [Panicked stare.] Bladescape! Forget the wolves! Kill Rogan! QUICK!

14. - Top - End - #14

ClericGuy

Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

[Panicked stare.] Bladescape! Forget the wolves! Kill Rogan! QUICK!
    Haha you fools. Everything on D2 was an elaborate distancing attempt by Rogan and I.

My Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #16

ClericGuy

Haha you fools. Everything on D2 was an elaborate distancing attempt by Rogan and I.
    And it's too late to do anything about it. You are Dooomed!

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, here is another game taking up 2 threads.
    So, they seemed to be more common in the old times, but it had happened before. But this might be the match with the lowest player count to hit get that many posts.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, Snow has been hinting at having info, so this claim seems fine. 5 powers feel like a lot, but if they have limited usages or other restrictions, this seems possible, see AV.
    It makes me a bit worried about Gac, his power seems so weak in comparison to everything else.
    He almost definitely has access to the dead chat, but if this is everything he has, that's seriously weak compared to other powers.
    It's nothing to worry about just now, but if there is no new info tomorrow, the surviving players could think about this again.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and I have a guess for your abilities, which would explain some things.

- - - Updated - - -

Change of my night kill vote from
    Batcathat & Moonfly
    to
    Book Wombat & Taffamai following AVs argument that one of them is guaranteed to be lying unless Unavenger included two Survivors.

Oh, Blades? Could I nominate every living player for your kill, so you can pick your target on your own if you don't like any of the votes?

To be fair it might be my fault that my power is so weak. Between not really thinking about my choices ahead of time and not getting the message or whatever, I picked someone I thought would be cool but was probably too obscure and OP sounding and then threw on the name of a second character who basically the only thing I knew about them was "Isn't their gimmick speaking to the dead? Having access to the dead chat would be cool" but I also was banking on townies dying first and figured I'd be trying to grab reads from seers and what not.

- - - Updated - - -

Also yay! Second thread. It's a first for me. So it's going to be remember that time Rogan had a power that seemed OP and then AV rage quit and then Gac3 started spewing nonsense that made AV unrage quit because nothing made sense and we all got so confused that we went to a second thread? Yeah good times.

18. - Top - End - #18

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by gac3 View Post
    To be fair it might be my fault that my power is so weak. Between not really thinking about my choices ahead of time and not getting the message or whatever, I picked someone I thought would be cool but was probably too obscure and OP sounding and then threw on the name of a second character who basically the only thing I knew about them was "Isn't their gimmick speaking to the dead? Having access to the dead chat would be cool" but I also was banking on townies dying first and figured I'd be trying to grab reads from seers and what not.
    Yeah, my first concept was similar.
    But being a prophet definitely paid for itself.

Long live the Queen!
    Oh, wrong game. Sorry, about that.
    Maybe the wolves will keep me alive now to accuse me later?
    Town, please don't screw this up now...
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19

WolfInSheepsClothing

NIGHT 2 END

Gac3 was brutally murdered last night. They were shot with a pistol. They were also beaten to death. Gac3's role was Melinda Gordon.

Gac3, you are Melinda Gordon, a MEDIUM and a member of the TOWN. You win the game if you kill every hostile character or nothing can prevent this from happening, and at least one member of your team is alive.

You have ONE ability:

Ghost Whisper (Passive): You can read and post in dead chat AT ANY TIME.
    DAY 3 START

The day will end at 21:00 GMT, 25/10/2021.

20. - Top - End - #20

ClericGuy

What? Still alive? How?
    And why did they brutally murder Gac?

AV, what was your result? Because mine is... strange.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21

Tell us! Tell us!

22. - Top - End - #22

Ouch, that was an overkill. So the Survivor colour is cyan while the Serial Killer's orange. I hope I'm cleared.
    Last edited by Book Wombat; 2021-10-23 at 04:03 PM.
    Every day...

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23

On an unrelated note: looks like Taffimai is not the killer.

- - - Updated - - -

Ouch, that was an overkill. So the Survivor could is cyan while the Serial Killer's orange. I hope I'm cleared.
    Why would you be cleared?

24. - Top - End - #24

Why would you be cleared?
    If the Prophecy works. Should've added "soon".
    Last edited by Book Wombat; 2021-10-23 at 04:04 PM.
    Every day...

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25

ClericGuy

Ouch, that was an overkill. So the Survivor colour is cyan while the Serial Killer's orange. I hope I'm cleared.
    Book, you are not on my list of scum. But... did you beat someone to death?
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26

So. Who is on the list?

27. - Top - End - #27

I didn't kill gac3 if that's what you're asking.
    Every day...

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah I think "interewring" is a good way to describe my results. Like, "interesting enough that I'm doubting the power worked properly".

- - - Updated - - -

Out of curiosity, were you also told you're a bad guy?

My Homebrew

29. - Top - End - #29

[Sighs.] Stop being so mysterious!

30. - Top - End - #30

ClericGuy

The only thing not surprising is, Supagoof is on the list. But everyone else..? It can't be true, can it, AV?
    Show