New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dr. Stone: Stone Age Science fiction? what the heck?

Also yeah cryogenics doesn't...actually really work, but Senku's idea that it miiiight keep him alive just enough to be petrified and then healed by the way is a solid one. I wonder if it'll work out.
    Well.. actually the petrification/reversal effect, is the missing piece to make cryogenics work. At the moment the problem is cell damage from ice crystals.
    But since reversing petrification has already shown to bring magical whole-body healing, then thats suddenly not an issue.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

2. - Top - End - #212
    Colossus in the Playground

Right, it's the defrosting that matters. I forgot about that.

Also, new chapter!

Boats!

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Well.. actually the petrification/reversal effect, is the missing piece to make cryogenics work. At the moment the problem is cell damage from ice crystals.
    But since reversing petrification has already shown to bring magical whole-body healing, then thats suddenly not an issue.
    Well, we know that we need to prevent the ice crystals, we have no idea how many more problems will come after that...

Also, re earlier, just because you used to draw hentai doesn't mean you have to keep doing it
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

4. - Top - End - #214
    Bugbear in the Playground

"If you wish to make apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe"

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Braininthejar2 View Post
    "If you wish to make apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe"
    And if you want to go sailing, you need to bring in another eccentric character?
    No, but this is fun. I feel like Captain might have a bit too many eccentricities but we'll see. No big science but... I want to see where Senku goes with this new endeavor.
    "What's done is done."

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

Well, we know that we need to prevent the ice crystals, we have no idea how many more problems will come after that...
    We do have a decent idea from observing those animals that can survive being frozen.

And if you want to go sailing, you need to bring in another eccentric character?
    No, but this is fun. I feel like Captain might have a bit too many eccentricities but we'll see. No big science but... I want to see where Senku goes with this new endeavor.
    He isnt even that bad by anime standards.
    I also kinda loved how Senku ignored everything else after hearing that guy were the best
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

7. - Top - End - #217

Not big on this chapter, but that's because I don't find this sailor man very funny personally. Senku continues to be great. But yeah, fine chapter.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Bugbear in the Playground

The whole mess with inventing money reminds me of Liar Game. That was a weird manga.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

I hope we don't get too much economics but it is an important part of a growing society.... But... Where the hell do they get their paper from? That stuffs expensive early on! And I always thought Japan was lacking in resources....
    "What's done is done."

10. - Top - End - #220

What's the ****ing point of money when you're the only person in the entire stone world with it.

I really don't like this stupid ass boat captain mother ****er. I get it, he's preparing for the eventual future, but...this is really dumb, in a way I don't find very enjoyable.

Japan is low on resources, but after all that time a lot of fresh oil likely exists. It's just mulched carbon and stuff, and Mt Fuji's eruptions probably assisted in replenshing the supply by punching the plants into car blood.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

While I agree it doesn't make any sense, I'm not that angry at the little economics 101. I guess I have to remind myself that Jump is still aimed at kids, who have no idea how money really works so this is a good... er, sufficient... acceptable explanation. At least it doesn't make me as angry as Zodiac.

Also, while four thousand years is way short to make more oil, apparently Japan does have some oil, so... They didn't make that up. Yay?
    "What's done is done."

12. - Top - End - #222

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    While I agree it doesn't make any sense, I'm not that angry at the little economics 101. I guess I have to remind myself that Jump is still aimed at kids, who have no idea how money really works so this is a good... er, sufficient... acceptable explanation. At least it doesn't make me as angry as Zodiac.

Also, while four thousand years is way short to make more oil, apparently Japan does have some oil, so... They didn't make that up. Yay?
    I'll be honest, I'm not THAT mad, it's just...it's frustrating, you know? Money is bull****, and I mean Senku's basically an antihero so him wanting to create money explicitly to exploit the things that make it bad is totally in character, it's just...I don't know, it's weird. It just doesn't work for me.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

Well, money isn't exactly bull****, they're just getting a little bit ahead of themselves..
    I guess as with the usual science we're taking some liberties and it's not for any good reason but just because. We'll get through it
    "What's done is done."

14. - Top - End - #224
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I'll be honest, I'm not THAT mad, it's just...it's frustrating, you know? Money is bull****, and I mean Senku's basically an antihero so him wanting to create money explicitly to exploit the things that make it bad is totally in character, it's just...I don't know, it's weird. It just doesn't work for me.

i got the same feeling i get when i'm about to drop an anime when the whole money thing came up. Money brings out the worst in people, senku has been shown as not that moral, but i just thought he'd stray away from something so obviously bad.

i think the whole situation just sheds light on that fact that outside of making cool gadgets, senku really doesn't have a relatable driving force behind his character. his antics before where justified by wanting to save those getting crushed to bits by tsukasa, now the justification is to speed up the creation of a boat...

it's small but with no real tension in the story (atm), it's hard to not focus on it.
    Last edited by ellenate; 2018-12-11 at 06:55 PM.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

I've never felt any tension in Stone, but this goes for most other stories, too. It's about making whacky gadgets and being crazy about it.

Anyway, new chapter.
    Flying with a hot air balloon really is crazy simple if you know the basic science of it. And have a huge amount of cloth, ideally airtight. And dare fly in a stoneage balloon.
    Also, looms are another of those crazy things that are incredibly useful and at the same time weirdly complicated and simple to me.
    Also also, more money! If you have all that paper, can't you fix up your balloon with that? Also also also, who the hell makes all that money?!
    Also also also also those are some damn scary / funny faces at the end.
    "What's done is done."

16. - Top - End - #226
    Orc in the Playground

I've never felt any tension in Stone, but this goes for most other stories, too. It's about making whacky gadgets and being crazy about it.

what do you define as tension?

Also also, more money! If you have all that paper, can't you fix up your balloon with that?
    i was thinking the same exact thing...

kind of nice that the money is being used against money guy (his name escapes me) but i kind of wanted to see the other characters dressed-up.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ellenate View Post
    what do you define as tension?

[...]

kind of nice that the money is being used against money guy (his name escapes me) but i kind of wanted to see the other characters dressed-up.
    Hm... I'm curious about what will happen next but I'm never (or rarely) on the edge of my seat and really excited, e.g. whether someone will live or die.

I'm sure we'll get some new costumes in the future. But we'll see.
    "What's done is done."

18. - Top - End - #228

New chapter, using the fancy new reader they made that isn't garbage!
    Spoiler
    Show

Okay this chapter had me laughing. I like this. Those cute modern outfits are really nice, and I do like how comedic this all is. We need a break from the drama, even if Gin's creepy mouth scar is back again.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

It took me way too long to figure out you mistyped Gen there... Slow Kato is slow today.
    But what creepy mouth scar? I mean, yeah, the last panel is genuinely disturbing but I don't see a particular mouth scar. Somewhere else?

Also, I forgot, considering nobody made a sewing machine... This is some crazy tailoring there. (seriously, make a sewing machine, it's not much harder than a loom... Is it?)
    "What's done is done."

20. - Top - End - #230

It took me way too long to figure out you mistyped Gen there... Slow Kato is slow today.
    But what creepy mouth scar? I mean, yeah, the last panel is genuinely disturbing but I don't see a particular mouth scar. Somewhere else?

Also, I forgot, considering nobody made a sewing machine... This is some crazy tailoring there. (seriously, make a sewing machine, it's not much harder than a loom... Is it?)
    More like slow Zodi, forgetting Gen's name again. And I mean the stone line crack along his face. Whenever he gets serious it starts looking like the fangs of an evil smile.

The boys don't know how to do things in small terms. I actually genuinely imagine Senku doesn't actually know how to build a sewing machine, but does know how to make a massive loom.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

More like slow Zodi, forgetting Gen's name again. And I mean the stone line crack along his face. Whenever he gets serious it starts looking like the fangs of an evil smile.

The boys don't know how to do things in small terms. I actually genuinely imagine Senku doesn't actually know how to build a sewing machine, but does know how to make a massive loom.
    Nah, it's me.
    Ah, I think we had the same misunderstanding before (?), just because I don't think mouth. But I feel he'd look creepy even without the scar, Boichi is really good with his distorted funny faces, kind of like Hirano-sense.

Hm... I'm trying to remember. I think there was one ingenious trick about sewing machines that might need something more complicated but I'm not sure. But really, like looms, they're incredibly useful, and it's weird they're pretty recent tech.
    "What's done is done."

22. - Top - End - #232
    Orc in the Playground

the sewing machine would have to either be really complicated or everyone got there own personal machine to man. it probably just made more sense for them to sew by hand.

i'd personally like to think they had the jokes in mind, with them sewing by hand, and went with humor > logic.

23. - Top - End - #233

New chapter!

Spoiler
    Show
    Well that was nice. Hot air Balloon!

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

New chapter!

Spoiler
    Show
    Well that was nice. Hot air Balloon!
    Well, that's... concise. No amazement at Gen's genius? Or the freakin' superhuman stitching technique? I mean, I said they should make a sewing machine, but I guess that'd slow her down...

Also: Damn, Senku, at least invent parachutes, just to be safe...
    Last edited by Kato; 2018-12-22 at 04:53 PM.

25. - Top - End - #235

Well, that's... cincise. No amazement at Gen's genius? Or the freakin' superhuman stitching technique? I mean, I said they should make a sewing machine, but I guess that'd slow her down...

Also: Damn, Senku, at least invent parachutes, just to be safe...
    Honestly things have been a little stressful today so I had little to say because I've been a bit distracted.

I do love Gen's use of magic though here, it rules. I like how all our modern day people are ridiculous at their skills.

26. - Top - End - #236

New chapter!

Spoiler
    Show
    On the one hand it's a little annoying they beat the threat immediately...but I also think dragging the threat out would be bad as well. So this is fine. And it IS funny, I'll give it that.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

New chapter!

Spoiler
    Show
    On the one hand it's a little annoying they beat the threat immediately...but I also think dragging the threat out would be bad as well. So this is fine. And it IS funny, I'll give it that.
    Yeah but... How long can you fight a storm? I guess they could have padded it with more scenery of stone age Japan and bickering, but I don't mind this.
    Also: goddammit, make parachutes!
    "What's done is done."

28. - Top - End - #238

Manga time!

Spoiler
    Show
    BEHOLD! BREAD!

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

I think I already forgot what the chapter was about... Something... Map making? And ressources.
    I guess food supply is an issue for primitive civilizations but you are the only people in Japan! You should be good enough at foraging to feed a village! I mean, with the new reborn people it's another issue, but a famine should have been really unlikely.. I think.
    But Yay, agriculture could make for some good science chapters.
    "What's done is done."

30. - Top - End - #240

I think I already forgot what the chapter was about... Something... Map making? And ressources.
    I guess food supply is an issue for primitive civilizations but you are the only people in Japan! You should be good enough at foraging to feed a village! I mean, with the new reborn people it's another issue, but a famine should have been really unlikely.. I think.
    But Yay, agriculture could make for some good science chapters.
    YEah, they had enough food to feed a village. Not enough to grow one.

It's time to 4X this stone age.