New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91

Default Re: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. VII: The Heart Beats On

If I'm remembering right, during the midseason hiatus. So, I dunno, maybe starting about Thanksgiving?

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Finally got caught up. I'm liking the new season and grateful that Sarge's origins is not
    Spoiler: this
    Show
    really coulson is back from the dead, through time travel or other means
    , an overused comic trope that I've always found makes it hard to care when characters are endangered or killed.

However, the binge watch really brought home one thing for me: the pacing feels too fast to make me care. While the first season is maligned for being bad while they waited for winter soldier to open, and I agree it was somewhat hit or miss as they tried to find their footing, I actually enjoyed the somewhat slower pacing of the first two seasons. It gave me a chance to really care about and know the characters because every moment wasn't some sort of critical crisis.

It seems like every season since the 2nd, the showrunners decided to keep picking up the pace so that all the little 'life moments' started getting lost. Worse, when we got them (things like Fitzsimmons apartment hunting) they seemed jarring because they were either never mentioned again or not given the proper time on screen to have any real impact. So character arcs kept feeling forced and new characters they introduced did not have the time to become more than placeholders. Character's would take actions that seemed out of character (even if upon explanation by the writers afterward, you could see their logic) And when someone got hurt and/or died it was like a redshirt on star trek, not a special emotional event I think the writer's intended.

So what do you guys think? I know they are now stuck with shortened seasons and next season (7) is their last, but do you wish they had kept the pacing/character development more like season 2-3 rather than the break-neck, every moment is a crisis we've seen this year? It's actually something I've seen in a lot of shows and I'm not sure I like the trade-off of constant action (for fear of being criticized as slow) and character development (which requires extra time including slower, vignette scenes where the world is not necessarily at stake).
    I’ve known people who play chess like this. They can’t think their way to a checkmate, so they spend their time trying to clear the board of the little pieces. This eventually reduces the game to a simplicity they can grasp, and they’re happy. The perfect war is a fool’s mate.
    -Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

ranger avitar created from site paladin avatar

3. - Top - End - #93

Well, the season finale has occurred and...I am not really feeling anything. I didn't even get to 'meh'.

I'm thinking I'm done. I can't really remember anything from this season.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Ming-Na Wen got an extended Chun Li scene, so I'm happy.
    Now with half the calories!

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I liked how Deke finally manned up at the end, even though his rant was mainly focused on "Why doesn't anyone like me????" nonsense. Still, he owned it.

I was starting to hope that Sarge was really going to be the new Coulson, but in the end I'm glad he wasn't. Can't wait to see what happens next half-season with time travel and robo-Coulson.

Quote Originally Posted by The New Bruceski View Post
    Ming-Na Wen got an extended Chun Li scene, so I'm happy.
    It's funny, because she actually played Chun-Li in the 90s Street Fighter movie. You probably already knew that, but I was compelled to point it out regardless.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2019-08-10 at 07:14 PM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

I've been too distracted by RL issues to comment on this, which in any case doesn't really bear much commenting.

I was more puzzled by several points than anything:

Spoiler: Land of Confusion
    Show
    We're told over and over again that Whatzerface and Whatzisface (Isel and Mad Maxxson) are incorporeal beings, from a planet of incorporeal beings, who apparently have been hankering after physical forms for aeons, or whatever. Point being, they have no native physical forms of their own.

So why, when Daisy is quaking the frack out of Full-On Evil Coulson, is he shredding away his Coulson skin and revealing some sort of repto-beast-man underneath? Where did that come from? It was more goofy than anything, and I just can't figure out what it was supposed to be.

Also, who exactly were the three hooded figures with the monolith tokens? Were they supposed to be guardian spirits of the monoliths? Were they inhabiting some sort of monolith-demiplane or whatnot? Why did they need those little tokens at all?

And finally, how are the "monoliths" supposed to actually function, when they were assembled by a "person" who was brought into being by yadda yadda magic energy working from Mac and Yo-Yo's memories? I mean, this show asks us to believe a lot, but when you think about this for more than two seconds it just collapses under the weight of so much ridiculous.

Spoiler: Big-Budget Finale
    Show
    They clearly spent most of their money on Mad Maxxson's rig, because the effects for the last few episodes were just sad. Of special note was the extremely bad CGI of the missile explosion that destroyed the temple in the final action scenes.

Also, for those of us who have spent time in Central American rainforests, that was an extremely unconvincing attempt at a Central American rainforest. "Back lot of Miami film studio" is probably more like it.

I understand they have to budget for actors, sets, transport, props, etc., but the overgrown-back-lot scenes gave it a chintzy, low-budget feel, like a student zombie movie.

Spoiler: Daisy to the Rescue!
    Show
    This was especially noticeable a couple episodes ago. Nuke about to go critical? Daisy to the rescue! Swarm of Shrikes about to overwhelm you? Daisy to the rescue! Any problem whatsoever? Daisy to the rescue!

It just seemed like lazy writing--whenever anything comes up, they build up the hopeless vibe and then Daisy solves it with a little Quake love.

At least May got to do a little rescuing of her own at the end. Here's hoping she's front and center for the next half-season, because her character deserves it.

Spoiler: Concept Drift
    Show
    I also noticed a disconnect between the first episodes in the season and the later ones, in terms of how Mad Maxxson and his cronies were presented. In the first few episodes, we were told that they were traveling via interdimensional transport, jaunting between alternate worlds, etc. etc. But once the Chronicons entered the picture, and we started hearing about Isel destroying worlds, suddenly the reference frame is interstellar, simply moving between worlds within our own galaxy.

Did anyone else notice this? It feels like the writers started with one notion, tried to cram in too many conflicting ideas, then abandoned the original concept and went with something simpler.

Spoiler: The Newest Team Member
    Show
    Coulson. As an LMD.

What.
    Last edited by Palanan; 2019-08-11 at 10:30 AM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

I've just caught up (being in the UK and watching it with Mum on a slightly less regular shedule...!)

Personally, I've enjoyed it as much as all the previous seasons (I also thought this season was a little bit lighter in tone overall than the last season, which I appreciated).

I shall eagerly look forward to the next season (with disappointment only for it being the last).

I think the greatest tragedy is Phil and Daisy especially never have gotten to roll with the Avengers directly, because that would have been awesomesauce (I very much doubt we'll get that in the last season, more's the pity.)

Y'know, though I would also love to a little scene with Deke/Fitz/Simmons meeting and Doing Tech with Bruce, Peter and Shuri, which would be glorious.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

They recently dropped a teaser trailer for season 7:

Spoilers for season 6 in there, just to let you know.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Just finished watching season 6 on Netflix. I quite enjoyed it myself, though from this last page's posts that seems like a minority opinion? I liked the faster pace, it helped the season's multiple plotlines flow together much more smoothly.

Minor spoiler-y question anyone could maybe jog my memory on:

Spoiler
    Show
    Why does Daisy say "I'd say I could go for a drink, but I guess that's illegal now" in the last scene? Is there some context I'm missing?

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Why does Daisy say "I'd say I could go for a drink, but I guess that's illegal now" in the last scene? Is there some context I'm missing?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Because they are back during the Prohibition era in American history, a brief period where all alcohol was illegal.
    Last edited by JadedDM; 2019-09-20 at 05:46 PM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Because they are back during the Prohibition era in American history, a brief period where all alcohol was illegal.
    I must have missed the bit where they time traveled somehow.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, remember when they used the jump drive and Simmons noted they were above New York? But then someone commented that it was weird that the Empire State Building was the only thing they could see above the cloud line, and Simmons commented that was because it was the tallest building in the world at that point? Which made Mac realize that they had modified the jump drive (the insinuation that it can now travel through time and space). And then the big reveal to show the building wasn't even finished yet? (The Empire State Building was completed in 1931, so they are somewhere around that point.)
    Last edited by JadedDM; 2019-09-20 at 06:43 PM.