New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Default Question regarding warforged and undead[3.5]

So me and a friend where having a conversation regarding war forged and the spell animate dead.

Now animate dead mentions:
    "Skeletons

A skeleton can be created only from a mostly intact corpse or skeleton. The corpse must have bones. If a skeleton is made from a corpse, the flesh falls off the bones.
    Zombies

A zombie can be created only from a mostly intact corpse. The corpse must be that of a creature with a true anatomy. "

Is there any where that states weather or not a warforged has a skeleton or "true anatomy" I need the RAW rulings as we both have different RAI's about it.
    When the end comes i shall remember you.

I sorry i fail Englimish...(appologise for Spelling/Grammer Errors) Please don't correct my spelling or grammer eaither.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Question regarding warforged and undead[3.5]

A funny thing about Warforged - though they can die, they are never actually corpses. RAW, They are either inert (-1 to -9 HP) or destroyed (-10).

Because of this, they remain legal targets for Raise Dead ("Dead creature touched") but not Animate Dead ("One or more corpses touched.")
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

There are, however, undead warforged. I believe they're known as Woeforged.

I believe it's entirely up to the DM's call about whether they have a skeleton, but I haven't read the indepth fluff on warforged anatomy.

I believe if they are susceptible to critical hits or precision damage, then they qualify as having an anatomy, which would be close enough for me to say they had a true one.

Psyren, of course, brings up an interesting bit, but I'm not sure if it's actually specified if a destroyed warforged doesn't count as a corpse or a viable target for such spells.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2010-12-23 at 04:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    im sensing sarcasm here.

Thank you Psyren for the info.
    When the end comes i shall remember you.

I sorry i fail Englimish...(appologise for Spelling/Grammer Errors) Please don't correct my spelling or grammer eaither.

5. - Top - End - #5

I remember those, but Forge of War has no stats for them or any information on how they are created. Animate Dead working on Warforged is still nil.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

6. - Top - End - #6

NecromancerGuy

^: So is destroyed a defined term that precludes leaving an intact corpse then?
    Quote Originally Posted by RagnaroksChosen View Post
    im sensing sarcasm here.
    Don't blame me for the pseudo-pun.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2010-12-23 at 04:46 PM.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #7

^: So is destroyed a defined term that precludes leaving an intact corpse then?
    Don't look at me, they didn't even define corpse

I'm going off the fact that "destroyed" undead can't be reanimated a second time. Per Libris Mortis:

Quote Originally Posted by Libris Mortis
    What would disable or render unconscious a living creature destroys an undead creature beyond recall. (In game terms, when an undead is reduced to 0 hit points or less, it is permanently destroyed.)
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RagnaroksChosen View Post
    im sensing sarcasm here.

Thank you Psyren for the info.
    The Woeforged are mentioned in passing (more as a plot hook than anything) in The Forge of War. They aren't given any stats and the only thing it says is that they are healed by negative energy, hurt by positive energy, and look rusted and pitted. Also, they appear in the Mournland, which kind of means their creation is as mysterious as the creation of the normal warforged.

As far as I can tell, this means that the creation of undead warforged was simply not done. There are no accounts of warforged animation happening as per The Forge of War (more common was warforged going inert and being thought dead on the battlefield, only to be repaired and conscripted to the other side).

Also, the existence of the Woeforged is considered rather shocking. IMO this implies that undead warforged are either extremely uncommon or impossible to make.

However, the RAW reading (destroyed rather than dead) does hint that a warforged corpse is a mass of stone, metal, and wood. Technically not a corpse.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I remember those, but Forge of War has no stats for them or any information on how they are created. Animate Dead working on Warforged is still nil.
    They could be created using some less common undead. The fluff for raise dead suggests that warforged have a soul if it can work on them. Therefore, they could plausibly become liches.

They could also, I suppose, have any undead template added to them, since I believe they're "living creatures" even if they're technically living constructs.

Of course, a vampire Warforged would be more laughable than scary, no matter how well he did in combat.

Here's my take on it:

Presumably, as constructs, warforged are basically a mass of wood and metal animated by some magical force, an elemental or whatever. I'm assuming this counts as it's "soul" since raise dead works on it. When you think about it, being animated by an elemental isn't significantly different from being animated by negative energy. I'd argue that a "zombie" warforged is just a dumb, slow-moving warforged that's healed by negative instead of positive energy. It's not "undead" it's just animated by something other than what makes it "alive."
    Last edited by Keinnicht; 2010-12-23 at 06:03 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Do they even have mouths? (Never paid all that much attention to warforged fluff).

They could probably become most kinds of incorporeal undead. Warforged shadows and ghosts would be neat.
    Editor and playtester for Legend.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Do they even have mouths? (Never paid all that much attention to warforged fluff).

They could probably become most kinds of incorporeal undead. Warforged shadows and ghosts would be neat.
    I would say yes. Otherwise they couldn't use spells with Verbal component without some feat or shenanigans.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

I'd like to see what the PCs would do when called upon to by a Last War general or his descendants who are being plagued by Warforged shadows or allips, who turn out to be a division he sent into battle as cannon fodder. Especially when his defense is "Well, they're not really people!"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

(See on the left)

Spoiler
    Show

They do have mouths. They can ingest potions, and, according to Races of Eberron, they can even eat if they wanted to. Now how their bodies dispose of the food waste I do not know.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AslanCross View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Looks like one hell of a metal show.

I'll get my coat.
    Last edited by Claudius Maximus; 2010-12-23 at 06:10 PM.
    Editor and playtester for Legend.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Looks like one hell of a metal show.

I'll get my coat.
    Now I want to make a Warforged Bardblade that uses the Horned Hand as its Iron Heart Surge.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Well, since animate dead wouldn't work, I'd just switch to animate object.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stallion View Post
    While it would have a crappy BAB, this does make it much stronger than a garden-variety zombie or skeleton. A Medium animated object has more HP, has 40 ft. speed (due to having legs) and can theoretically have constrict (due to having arms).

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

I would say these "woeforged" are simply warforged with the Tomb-Tainted Soul feat (1st-level only, switches the effects positive and negative energy have on you). However, since warforged heal only half the normal amount from healing spells (and this would carry over), I'd instead make it a trait. I.e. they don't have to spend a feat on it.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-12-23 at 09:11 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

NecromancerGuy

Although Swordwraith Warforged are probably the most thematic undead for them, at least in Eberron and spawned from the Last War.

Quote Originally Posted by Stallion View Post
    Or if you wanted an animated object with all of the thematic deliciousness of undead, Haunt Shift, from Libris Mortis, can do both for ya.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2010-12-23 at 09:18 PM.
    Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keinnicht View Post
    They could be created using some less common undead. The fluff for raise dead suggests that warforged have a soul if it can work on them. Therefore, they could plausibly become liches.

They could also, I suppose, have any undead template added to them, since I believe they're "living creatures" even if they're technically living constructs.

Of course, a vampire Warforged would be more laughable than scary, no matter how well he did in combat.
    Hmmm that is an interesting idea

But they are constructs with the living construct subtype so im not sure if it would work
    Last edited by FelixG; 2010-12-23 at 09:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Esser-Z View Post
    We can peform: dance if we want to, we can leave your friends behind. Because your friends don't perform: Dance and if they don't perform: dance, well, they're no friends of mine!
    Awesome avatar by Ninjaman!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Really?

Spoiler
    Show

Cause the mental image I get is the above, but a little bit toothier

I DEMAND YOUR BLOOD, FLESHLING! THE MACHINE MUST FEED!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Firbolg in the Playground

hey're technically living constructs.

I vant to suck your Hydraulic fluid doesn't have the same ring to it.
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    I vant to suck your Hydraulic fluid doesn't have the same ring to it.
    Yes but the fanged warforged chasing commoners around going "Nom nom nom" is so adorable!
    Quote Originally Posted by Esser-Z View Post
    We can peform: dance if we want to, we can leave your friends behind. Because your friends don't perform: Dance and if they don't perform: dance, well, they're no friends of mine!
    Awesome avatar by Ninjaman!

24. - Top - End - #24

I had thought there was a component that gave Warforged a bite attack but i cant find any reference to one.
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

25. - Top - End - #25

I think its called Jaws of Death but I might be thinking of the wrong thing, either way its a feat in Races of Ebberon that gives a bite attack.
    Mojave, Mo' Problems.

My Post apocalyptic campaign setting for Legend: Shattered Lands

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by GodGoblin View Post
    I think its called Jaws of Death but I might be thinking of the wrong thing, either way its a feat in Races of Ebberon that gives a bite attack.
    No, that is it - i was thinking it was a component for some reason.
    Thankyou
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

I think from what other people have said that Warforged can be made into Undead-like creatures. The process can't be accomplished by Animate Dead though. It takes Create Undead or Create Greater Undead to make a Woeforged.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    I would say these "woeforged" are simply warforged with the Tomb-Tainted Soul feat (1st-level only, switches the effects positive and negative energy have on you). However, since warforged heal only half the normal amount from healing spells (and this would carry over), I'd instead make it a trait. I.e. they don't have to spend a feat on it.
    I'd like to point out that TTS doesn't, according to the text, cause positive energy to hurt you - it just causes negative energy to heal you.

Unless they applied some sort of errata to it, a living being with it can thus be healed by both.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    I'd like to point out that TTS doesn't, according to the text, cause positive energy to hurt you - it just causes negative energy to heal you.

Unless they applied some sort of errata to it, a living being with it can thus be healed by both.
    Nope. The summary in the table just mentions the healing part, but the feat always spelled it out fully.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Nope. The summary in the table just mentions the healing part, but the feat always spelled it out fully.
    Weird. Yeah, guess my memory's going bad.