New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default [3.5] replacement for shadow dancer

Rumor has it that shadow dancer is not such a great prestige class.

What builds or prestige classes can approximate the flavor of the shadow dancer (stealth, elusiveness, a few mysical abilities) with more mechanical effectiveness?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] replacement for shadow dancer

Swordsage 20. Or Rogue 2/Swordsage 18. Or Rogue 14/Swashbuckler 3/Swordsage 3. Really, just Swordsage.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

The Shadow Walker template (Unapproachable East) gives pretty much any character an elusive shadow theme...SLA's based on HD, largely focused around Darkness and Dimension Door...also gives you easier access to the Telflammar Shadowlord PrC (same source) which gives you everything you'll want for a Shadowdancer-esque character; Shadow Jump, spellcasting, permanent Blur when in shadows, Pounce after using a teleport effect, Death Attack and finally de-facto immunity to death from HP damage. All over 7 levels for the cost of Dodge, Mobility and Spring Attack.
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Same as the guy above. Although I like the shade template more, but for the shade one you need to talk to the DM. No listed LA.

Shadowlords are fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Same as the guy above. Although I like the shade template more, but for the shade one you need to talk to the DM. No listed LA.

Shadowlords are fun.
    It was published in an errata somewhere. I believe the shade template has a LA of +4. (Races of Faerun)
    There's also 'dark' from ToM, shadowlord as stated, and I think another in manual of planes (with 3.5 update)
    Shadow from Lords of Madness (+2)
    Last edited by herrhauptmann; 2009-11-11 at 07:25 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The thing is that if you're talking about the signature ability of the Shadowdancer -- Supernatural Hide in Plain Sight -- then there are very few alternatives. Almost none of the Extraordinary versions of HiPS work as well (just that of the Eye of Lolth, AFAIK).

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

There's a PrC in the ToM called Shadowblade - it's more martial than the shadowdancer, but might suit your needs.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

I am the DM, so LA will not be an issue.

So, perhaps something like swordsage 7/shadow dancer 1/(telflammar shadowlord or shadow blade) X, with a shadow walker, shade, or dark template?

Hmm, I could actually make a couple different variations on this to make NPCs with varied abilities. This is good. Any other options?
    Last edited by jiriku; 2009-11-11 at 09:48 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    There's a PrC in the ToM called Shadowblade - it's more martial than the shadowdancer, but might suit your needs.
    A quick glance leads me to believe this isn't all that good. Yea or nay?
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I haven't actually used it yet, I just thought the thematics looked good. I can't vouch for it's effectiveness.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose87 View Post
    A quick glance leads me to believe this isn't all that good. Yea or nay?
    It's ... not great. Probably no stronger than the Shadowdancer itself. (Not broken-terrible, either, though.)
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

It's not really powerful, but it's tricky. Plus, it's in an obscure book, so it's likely none of my players will be familiar with it. And with power attack, sudden strike, a spiked chain, and a couple of ways to deny Dex or make touch attacks, it can hit like truck. Players get scared when facing a heavy-hitting opponent who's mobile and hard to hit. These guys will be functioning in a supporting role, so they don't need to be showstoppers.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jiriku View Post
    I am the DM, so LA will not be an issue.

So, perhaps something like swordsage 7/shadow dancer 1/(telflammar shadowlord or shadow blade) X, with a shadow walker, shade, or dark template?

Hmm, I could actually make a couple different variations on this to make NPCs with varied abilities. This is good. Any other options?
    You could just drop the the level of shadowdancer and just pick up an Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis (ToM). The collar (which gives you Hide in Plain Sight) +Swordsage is really good. You'll still need a Dim Door source like the Shadow Walker template unless you have a really nice DM who would allow Shadow Jaunt to qualify for Telfammar Shadowlord. Human (Shadowwalker) Swordsage 7/ Telfammar Shadowlord 6/ Dread Commando (HoB) 5/ Swordsage 2 will net you Shadow Jaunt/Stride/Blink for a lot of pouncing, +5 to your initiative and 3d6 sudden strike.
    Last edited by gorfnab; 2009-11-12 at 01:10 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

a level of warlock, the darkness invocation, and a single feat can get you the equivalent of hide in plain sight.

the dark template (+1 LA) gives you much the same and a bit more

straight swordsage gives you access to a swift invisibility, which is pretty snazzy.

Really, I know it's been said, but you can cover the bases except the shadow familiar thingy with just swordsage.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

I'll throw in my agreement with those who said Rogue/Swordsage. Focusing on Shadow Hand gives the character a lot of ways to set off sneak attack while gaining shadow teleportation and invisibility options.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

Don't forget that a splash of Umbral Disciple will allow you a Blur/Displacement style ability and while it's activated allows you to HiPS. I believe it only requires a 3 level dip to obtain and can be entered with either levels in one of the incarnum classes or a couple of feats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    Though, this is obviously a world in which Speak with Dead trivializes most murder investigations. It's not "Well, after spending an exhaustive amount of time searching the crime scene for evidence, I seem to have found some bat guano and- yadda yadda" it's "Steve did it. Go scry Steve"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

all umberal disciple needs are skills and one essentia its great for rouges their are feats and races that grant essentia and it progress your sneak attack and its hide in plane sight ability is better becuase i don't believe you need shadow to do it