New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Now ya got my hammer angry! Ya shouldn't have done that! [3.5e PrC, PEACH]

The Hammer Brother

"The hammer is the perfect weapon, capable of breaking both armor and bone, both in melee and at a range. Those who master it will rule the battlefield." -Hanma, Turtlefolk Hammer Brother

While originally a peasant's tool like most other weapons, the hammer has since ancient times been used on the battlefield, being one of the oldest and most basic implements of war. The Brotherhood of the Hammer is an order of warriors dedicated to mastery of the art of fighting using hammers, both heavy warhammers for melee combat and light hammers for throwing in deadly hails. Members of the Brotherhood are trained to work in pairs, and often seek employment as mercenaries in armies in need of their expertise, some even becoming professional shock troops in those armies.

Becoming a Hammer Brother
    Naturally, expertise with hammers, both light and war, is required. Once an applicant is deemed worthy by the masters of the Brotherhood, he or she must go through a rite of membership, often consisting of working with another applicant in order to take down a powerful beast or warrior.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
    Alignment: Any Non-Chaotic
    Base Attack Bonus: +7
    Feats: Weapon Focus (Warhammer, Light Hammer), Far Shot
    Special: Must be a member of the Brotherhood of the Hammer (see above).

Class Skills
    Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex)

Skill Points/Level: 2+Int

Hit Dice: d8
    {table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
    1st|+1|+2|+2|+0|Brothers in Arms, Hammer Bond
    2nd|+2|+3|+3|+0|Rain of Hammers
    3rd|+3|+3|+3|+1|Concussion Blow
    4th|+4|+4|+4|+1|Greater Hammer Bond
    5th|+5|+4|+4|+1|Relentless Blow, Swift Throw
    6th|+6|+5|+5|+2|Shockwave
    7th|+7|+5|+5|+2|Hammer Mastery
    8th|+8|+6|+6|+2|Hammercall
    9th|+9|+6|+6|+3|Great Shockwave
    10th|+10|+7|+7|+3|Skullshatter
    [/table]

Class Features
    Brothers in Arms (Ex)
    When flanking a creature together with another Hammer Brother and wielding a hammer, you gain an additional +1 flanking bonus. In addition, two Hammer Brothers can flank enemies even when throwing light hammers.

Hammer Bond (Ex)
    A Hammer Brother who bonds with a specific (masterwork) warhammer gains special skill with it. To complete the bond, the Hammer Brother must complete 30 minutes of concentrated exercise with the hammer, and then deal 5d10+15 lethal damage to any combination of enemies (not training dummies or sparring partners) with it within 12 hours. When the bonding is complete, the hammer's threat range is doubled (as if its wielder had the Improved Critical feat) as long as the Hammer Brother wields it. Should the Hammer Brother be separated from his hammer (i.e. they are more than 60 ft. from each other) for more than 24 hours, or if the hammer is destroyed, the bond is broken and he suffers a -1 penalty to all attack rolls until he can complete another ritual of bonding. This ability does not stack with the Improved Critical feat.

Rain of Hammers (Ex)
    At second level, the Hammer Brother can apply the Rapid Shot feat when throwing light hammers (even if he doesn't possess it and even though it normally doesn't apply to thrown weapons).

Concussion Blow (Ex)
    Starting at third level, whenever the Hammer Brother lands a successful critical hit with a light hammer or warhammer, the victim is staggered for 1d4 rounds. This effect has nothing to do with nonlethal damage.

Greater Hammer Bond (Ex)
    At fourth level, the Hammer Brother's bond with his chosen weapon (see Hammer Bond) improves. He deals an additional +2 damage with the hammer. This stacks with the effects of Weapon Specialization. In addition, the bonus from Hammer Bond now stacks wit the Improved Critical feat.

Relentless Blow (Ex)
    Starting at fifth level, whenever the Hammer Brother lands a successful critical hit with a light hammer or warhammer, the victim must succeed on a Fortitude (DC 5 + the Hammer Brother’s class level + the Hammer Brother’s Str modifier) or be knocked prone. This is in addition to the effects of Concussion Blow. Apply that ability before this is applied. Dwarves can reduce the DC to resist being knocked prone by 4 due to their Stability quality.

Swift Throw (Ex)
    At fifth level, the action required for using Rain of Hammers becomes a standard attack action (instead of a full attack action).

Shockwave (Ex)
    At sixth level, as a full-round action, the Hammer Brother may strike the ground with a warhammer to produce a shockwave, dealing the warhammer's damage (make a standard attack roll) in force damage (critical hits and similar effects do not apply) to a single enemy up to 50 ft. away on level ground and knocking it prone unless it succeeds on a Fortitude or Reflex save (whichever is the highest) (DC 10 + half the Hammer Brother’s class level + the Hammer Brother’s Str modifier). However, after using this attack, the Hammer Brother must succeed on a DC 15 Fortitude save himself or be fatigued and unable to use Shockwave for 1d6+1 rounds due to the extreme effort. Dwarves can reduce the DC to resist being knocked prone by 4 due to their Stability quality.

Hammer Mastery (Ex)
    At seventh level, the Hammer Brother's bond with his hammer (see Hammer Bond) is further improved. The bonded weapon counts as Lawful, Chaotic, Good, Evil, Cold Iron, and Silver for the purpose of bypassing Damage Reduction.

Hammercall (Su)
    At eight level, the Hammer Brother accquires the mystical Hammercall ability due to his ardent devotion to the Way of the Hammer. Three times per day, he can as a free action call forth 1d4 masterwork light hammers to appear in any place on his body (they do not need to appear all in the same place). This is a Conjuration (Creation) effect. The hammers are useless in melee, and they remain in existence until they are thrown, until they are destroyed, until the Hammer Brother summons new hammers, or as long as they stay within 5 ft. of the Hammer Brother.

Great Shockwave (Ex)
    At ninth level, the Hammer Brother can choose to use his Shockwave ability to instead strike at all creatures within 40 ft. on level ground (with a single attack roll). Allies and Hammer Brothers have +2 on their saves (stacking for allied hammer Brothers) to resist being knocked prone, but the attacking Hammer Brother must succeed on a DC 18 saving throw to resist being fatigued, and is fatigued and unable to use Shockwave for 1d8+1 rounds should he fail.

Skullshatter (Ex)
    At tenth level, the Hammer Brother learns his ultimate ability: an attack that immediately causes the death of his target. At any time when landing a successful critical hit with a warhammer or light hammer by rolling a natural 20, he can choose to apply Skullshatter, forcing the victim to succeed on a Fortitude save (DC 10 + half the Hammer Brother’s class level + the Hammer Brother’s Str modifier) or instantly die. This attack cannot be applied in melee when fighting an enemy more than one size category larger than the Hammer Brother, and not when fighting an enemy more than two size categories larger at a range. It is only functional against enemies who have a head. If an enemy has multiple heads, this attack instead eliminates one of them.

Becoming and Playing a Hammer Brother
    Hammer Brothers aren't very deep, devoting all of their focus towards the mastery of hammer combat. If you want to join this PrC, fighter is the best (core) class to progress in. After you have accquired the prerequisites, just visit a master of the Brotherhood of the Hammer (see Hammer Brothers in the World for more detail) and complete the necessary trial.

The Hammer Brother's key attribute is Strength, allowing him to perform even better in combat, although Constitution is also important, and a little Dexterity can't hurt.

Also, an important note: despite the name, Hammer Brothers can be both male and female, although they are always referred to as Hammer Brothers in official context.

Combat
    A Hammer Brother is a pure fighting machine. They start combat by unleashing a hail of bludgeoning fury upon their enemies, before moving in for the kill with their bonded warhammers. As a Hammer Brother on the battlefield, the one thing you should be wary of is magic, seeing as you'll likely lack in defense against spells. If you see a spellcaster, take him out as soon as you can.

Daily Life
    Hammer Brothers aren't at ease outside of combat, but when that happens, they often focus their energies towards training or, if they possess the necessary skills, hammer-smithing, which gives them a chance to both use hammers and make hammers. Whenever there is a chance of combat, a Hammer Brother takes his hammers and makes sure to win the battle.

NPC Reaction
    Most of the world's inhabitants just see the Hammer Brothers as dedicated warriors, although some may think they are a bit too dedicated, almost to the point of insanity. Nevertheless, most organized armies make sure to have some companies of Hammer Brothers among their ranks, recognizing their awesome skill with their chosen weapons.

Hammer Brothers in the World
    All Hammer Brothers are members of the Brotherhood of the Hammer (with a few exceptions). Depending on your campaign, the Brotherhood can be one, focused organization, or a more loose, decentralized order, having no firm leadership and headquarters. In both of the above cases, the Brotherhood possesses guildhalls in several separate locations, each one led by one or several masters, who are all Hammer Brothers of at least 7th level, having attained the Hammer Mastery ability.

Brotherhood guildhalls are fortress-like, with crenellated walls, high watchtowers, and training grounds. The "keep" of the guildhall houses living quarters for the Brothers stationed there (guards and trainers, mostly) and offices.

The Brotherhood of the Hammer has several ranks and positions within the organization, most of which are listed below:

Freelancer: the standard member of the organization, doing what he's named for.
    Professional: a Freelancer who has taken employment in a second organization, usually a military one.
    Guildguard: the guardians of a Brotherhood guildhall.
    Quartermaster: responsible for supplying a guildhall. Always experienced hammersmiths.
    Finder: responsible for finding new recruits for the Brotherhood, travelling across the land.
    Trainer: second-in-commands to Masters, trainers are responisble for keeping the Brothers in top shape.
    Master: an experienced Hammer Brother of at least 7th level, who is in charge of a guildhouse.
    Grandmaster: Hammer Brothers of at least 10th level who represent the highest rank of the organization. A Grandmaster commands several guildhalls.

Feats for Hammer Brothers
    Brotherhood Hammersmith
    Prerequisites: Hammer Bond, 8+ Ranks in Craft (Weaponsmithing)
    Benefit: You gain a +4 bonus to Craft (Weaponsmithing) checks made to craft hammers.

Brotherhood Magesmith
    Prerequisite: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Brotherhood Hammersmith
    Benefit: The XP and gold costs for crafting magic hammers is reduced by half.

Hammerhail
    Prerequisites: Rain of Hammers
    Benefit: The attack penalty for throwing hammers with Rain of Hammers decreases by 2.

Hammerhail Brother
    Prerequisite: Rain of Hammers, Hammerhail
    Benefit: You gain a +1 attack bonus when using Rain of Hammers as long as you are within 30 ft. of another Hammer Brother.

Hammer Marksman
    Prerequisites: Weapon Focus (Light Hammer), Far Shot
    Benefit: The range increment of all light hammers you throw increases by 20 ft.

Hammer Sniper
    Prerequisites: Skullshatter, Hammer Marksman
    Benefit: Your Shullshatter ability works on enemies up to a size category larger than ordinary when applied with a light hammer ranged attack.

Hookhammerer
    Prerequisites: Gnome, Weapon Focus (Hooked Hammer), Hammer Bond
    Benefit: You can use the hooked hammer in place of the warhammer for all abilities of the Hammer Brother.

Hydrabane
    Prerequisite: Skullshatter
    Benefit: If you succeed on a Skullshatter attempt made with a thrown light hammer against an enemy with multiple heads, you may make a new immediate attack against that enemy with the same hammer (it bounces).

Improved Hammercall
    Prerequisites: Hammercall
    Benefits: You summon an additional two hammers with your Hammercall ability.
    Special: You can take this feat multiple times. Each time besides the first, you gain the ability to summon one additional hammer.

Improved Shockwave
    Prerequisites: Shockwave
    Benefits: The range of your Shockwave and Great Shockwave increases by 10 ft.
    Special: You can take this feat multiple times, the effect stacks.

Magesmasher
    Prerequisites: Concussion Blow
    Benefit: When you land a successful critical hit, the target cannot cast any spells for the duration of the Concussion Blow effect.

Sledge Brother
    Prerequisites: Weapon Focus (Maul), Hammer Bond
    Benefit: You can use the maul in place of the warhammer for all abilities of the Hammer Brother.

Superior Hammercall
    Prerequisites: Hammercall, Improved Hammercall
    Benefit: Two of the hammers you summon with Hammercall are +1 masterwork light hammers.
    Special: You can take this feat multiple times. Each time besides the first, one more hammer becomes +1 masterwork.

Wavemaster
    Prerequisites: Shockwave, Str 13+
    Benefit: You may reduce your strength modifier from the DC of the Fortitude save required to avoid being fatigued after a Shockwave or Great Shockwave.
    Last edited by Athaniar; 2009-07-28 at 12:51 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Now ya got my hammer angry! Ya shouldn't have done that! [3.5e PrC, PEACH]

I would give Rapid Shot rather than Manyshot, since Manyshot is pretty bad in most situations. At 5th level I'd give him the ability to move the same round that he performs a Rapid Shot.

Excellent thread title and fun idea for a class. :D

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Now ya got my hammer angry! Ya shouldn't have done that! [3.5e PrC, PEACH]

Quote Originally Posted by AstralFire View Post
    I would give Rapid Shot rather than Manyshot, since Manyshot is pretty bad in most situations. At 5th level I'd give him the ability to move the same round that he performs a Rapid Shot.

Excellent thread title and fun idea for a class. :D
    Done and done. More suggestions are appreciated if you have them.

And the thread title is a quote from the Super Mario RPG, which was also the inspiration for Hammer Bond.
    Last edited by Athaniar; 2009-07-27 at 09:31 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Yeah, I recognized it. The gameplay's pretty dated, but its writing still rocks.
    One of the few things by Square I really like.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

I like this a lot.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Skullshatter seems a lot like "vorpal for bludgeoning"; wouldn't this make more sense as a weapon enhancement?

This also gives hints as to balance - should an "instant kill" ability really be available that A) doesn't require a natural 20 B) doesn't require you to buy a +6 weapon [and can be applied to any weapon you own]?

Really needs some way to recreate the Sledge Brothers' earth shaking ability.
    Last edited by Random832; 2009-07-27 at 01:04 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Random832 View Post
    Skullshatter seems a lot like "vorpal for bludgeoning"; wouldn't this make more sense as a weapon enhancement?
    The ability is based around the Hammer Brother's personal ability to hit where it really hurts, like the two other hammer-strike abilities (Concussion Blow and Relentless Blow).

This also gives hints as to balance - should an "instant kill" ability really be available that A) doesn't require a natural 20 B) doesn't require you to buy a +6 weapon [and can be applied to any weapon you own]?
    Well, it only works on a critical hit, and then only if the target fails his save.

Really needs some way to recreate the Sledge Brothers' earth shaking ability.
    That's what Shockwave is, except that it's caused by hammering instead of jumping. Jump-quaking could be a feat, perhaps. I'll have to think about it.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

1) I think the save DC's for the class abilities should scale with class level. Since these abilities are at will, maybe make it 1/2 class level, but I'm not a fan of fixed DC's, it just means that your class abilities become useless at a certain point.

2) Do the hammers from Hammercall qualify for Hammer Bond?

3) You need to specifically state whether or not the increase in critical range from Hammer Bond stacks with Improved Critical. I'm guessing it doesn't, but this is one instance where absolutely clarity never hurts.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn183 View Post
    1) I think the save DC's for the class abilities should scale with class level. Since these abilities are at will, maybe make it 1/2 class level, but I'm not a fan of fixed DC's, it just means that your class abilities become useless at a certain point.
    Good advise. Scaling DCs implemented.

2) Do the hammers from Hammercall qualify for Hammer Bond?
    No. Hammercall summons light hammers, and Hammer Bond only works with warhammers (or mauls and/or hooked hammers if you have the right feats).

3) You need to specifically state whether or not the increase in critical range from Hammer Bond stacks with Improved Critical. I'm guessing it doesn't, but this is one instance where absolutely clarity never hurts.
    Implemented.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Greater Hammer Bond + Improved Critical + Skullshatter = overpowered. I really think you should limit skullshatter to a natural 20, in line with vorpal - even if you keep the other aspects of it.

(I'm just glad these don't stack with a keen hooked hammer)

Also, "Maul" isn't a real weapon type. The one "Maul" in the SRD acts as a greatclub. Maybe rework the sledge brother feat to be something to do with larger-size-category weapons?

Other ideas:

fireballs/boomerangs
    "Amazing Flyin'" platform
    Any things from games I haven't played
    Last edited by Random832; 2009-07-27 at 02:10 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Isn't maul a weapon type in some supplement book? Complete Warrior or something? I'll have to look through them.

Also, I'll limit Skullshatter a bit more.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Xavius View Post
    Isn't maul a weapon type in some supplement book? Complete Warrior or something? I'll have to look through them.

Also, I'll limit Skullshatter a bit more.
    I think it is.

I remember seeing it on the back of a D&D Minis card.
    Yep, 1d10 base damage, and it is from the Complete Warrior Handbook.
    It might be a two-handed weapon, but I can only judge that from the dwarf on the card holding his maul with two hands.
    This avatar pierces the heavens and is by Miss Nobody!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan
    Yes, but that's Fred. He radiates awesomeness.

"Whether it be impossible or laughable, Great men open up paths of battle! If there's a wall, we break it down! If there's no path, we'll make one with these hands! The heart's magma burns with flames!"

By Recaiden.
    Inner Circle

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fredthefighter View Post
    I think it is.

I remember seeing it on the back of a D&D Minis card.
    Yep, 1d10 base damage, and it is from the Complete Warrior Handbook.
    It might be a two-handed weapon, but I can only judge that from the dwarf on the card holding his maul with two hands.
    It's basically the Bastard Sword/Dwarven Waraxe of bludgeoning damage, but weighs 20 pounds.
    Last edited by Siosilvar; 2009-07-27 at 05:21 PM.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

If you are going to use sliding DC values for various saves, you should use the standard mechanic: DC 10 + 1/2 class level + ability modifier). Changing it to DC 5 + Class level + ability modifier just makes it easier for foes to overcome at earlier levels.

Edit: in Skullshatter, you used DC 10 + Class level + ability modifier which really is unbalanced.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2009-07-27 at 07:25 PM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.

15. - Top - End - #15

On that note, I prefer using DC 10+¼Character level+Mod. Basing DCs on PrC levels makes the ability cap out early and high if you take the PrC early, and makes it start out very weak if you take the PrC late.

However, there is nothing wrong with DC 10+½Char Level+Mod (which is DC 10+Class Level+Mod for a ten level class.) Note that gives a base DC of 20 - 9th level spells have a base DC of 19, and they're much easier to boost.

However (again), I would simply make this work as vorpal (no save, works on nat 20s that are confirmed), or make it work as a readied, once an encounter ability (high save). (The latter is what I prefer.)
    Last edited by AstralFire; 2009-07-27 at 07:35 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

The problem with using a different way of calculating the DCs of Saves is that what works in one homebrew won't fit properly in another. It will either overpower or underpower a standard game.

Debby

P.S. I think your math is off. 10+½ Char Level+Mod is not DC 10+Class Level+Mod for a ten level class.
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2009-07-27 at 08:01 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    The problem with using a different way of calculating the DCs of Saves is that what works in one homebrew won't fit properly in another. It will either overpower or underpower a standard game.

Debby
    It depends on the exact power level that the PrC itself was designed for (which varies based on supplements used). That's a total package dealy, and something you can say about any element of balance.

As a general rule, my suggestions do lean towards keeping things around T2/T3, while most earlier melee PrCs are T4/T5.

P.S. I think your math is off. 10+½ Char Level+Mod is not DC 10+Class Level+Mod for a ten level class.
    At level 20, they are the same value, and the former scales more smoothly than the latter, which is my point.
    Last edited by AstralFire; 2009-07-27 at 08:04 PM.