New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default (PF) Mistborn, Allomancer (Peach)

First time Homebrewing a class. Big fan of the Mistborn trilogy, and I wanted to bring it into my Pathfinder game. I wanted to put the power level round tier 3 or 2.

Any feed back would be great, thanks!

Allomancer

Starting Wealth: 4d6 × 10 gp (average 140 gp.) In addition, each character begins play with an outfit worth 10 gp or less.

HD: 1d8

Skills: 6 + Int

Acrobatics*(Dex),*Bluff*(Cha),*Craft*(Alchemy)(Int ),*Diplomacy(Cha),*Disable Device*(Dex),*Disguise,*Escape Artist*(Dex),*Intimidate*(Cha),*Knowledge*(dungeon eering) (Int),*Knowledge*(local) (Int),*Perception*(Wis),*Perform*(Cha),*Profession *(Wis),*Sense Motive*(Wis),*Sleight of Hand*(Dex), Spellcraft (Int)*Stealth*(Dex),*Swim*(Str), and*Use Magic Device*(Cha).

{table=head] Level | BAB | Fort | Ref | Will |Special | Coinshot Flurry
    1st | 0 | 0 | 2 | 2 | Burning Metal (Basic) | |
    2nd | 1 | 0 | 3 | 3 | Evasion, Metal Talent | |
    3rd | 2 | 1 | 3 | 3 | Coinshot Flurry | +1/+1 |
    4th | 3 | 1 | 4 | 4 | Metal Talent, Uncanny Dodge | +2/+2 |
    5th | 3 | 1 | 4 | 4 | Flare Metal (Basic) | +3/+3 |
    6th | 4 | 2 | 5 | 5 | Metal Talent | +4/+4/-1 |
    7th | 5 | 2 | 5 | 5 | Fast Burn | +5/+5/0 |
    8th | 6/1 | 2 | 6 | 6 | Improved uncanny dodge, Metal Talent | +6/+6/+1/+1 |
    9th | 6/1 | 3 | 6 | 6 | Steel Bull Rush, Iron Disarm | +7/+7/+2/+2 |
    10th | 7/2 | 3 | 7 | 7 | Advanced talents,*Metal Talent | +8/+8/+3/+3 |
    11th | 8/3 | 3 | 7 | 7 | Burn Metal (Higher) | +9/+9/+4/+4/–1 |
    12th | 9/4 | 4 | 7 | 7 | Metal Talent | +10/+10/+5/+5/+0 |
    13th | 9/4 | 4 | 8 | 8 | Improved Evasion | +11/+11/+6/+6/+1 |
    14th | 10/5 | 4 | 9 | 9 | Metal Talent | +12/+12/+7/+7/+2 |
    15th | 11/6/1 | 5 | 9 | 9 | Flare Metal (Higher) | +13/+13/+8/+8/+3/+3 |
    16th | 12/7/2 | 5 | 10 | 10 | Metal Talent, Fast Burn 2 | +14/+14/+9/+9/+4/+4/–1 |
    17th | 12/7/2 | 5 | 10 | 1o | Burn Metal (God) | +15/+15/+10/+10/+5/+5/+0 |
    18th | 13/8/3 | 6 | 10 | 1o | Metal Talent*| +16/+16/+11/+11/+6/+6/+1 |
    19th | 14/9/4 | 6 | 11 | 11 | Flare Metal (God) | +17/+17/+12/+12/+7/+7/+2
    20th | 15/10/5 | 6 | 12 | 12 | Savant, Metal Talent | +18/+18/+13/+13/+8/+8/+3 |
    [/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Allomancer is proficient with all Simple and Martial weapons.

Allomancer's are proficient with light armor.

Burning Metals (SP):

*Allomancers have the ability to burn metals that they have ingested. There are 8 Basic metals, 4 higher Metals, and 2 God Metals. As an allomancer advances in level he gains access to more Metals as the Allomancer becomes stronger. Allomancers typically carry supplies with them, and allomantic metals should be treated as spell components for purposes of whether or not a Mistborn has supplies of that metal. An allomancer can craft a week’s in supply of allomantic metals in 2 hours using common raw materials and a Craft(Alchemy) check DC 15. A Mistborn bypasses the regular requirement of being a spellcaster when using Craft(Alchemy) when making allomantic metals.

Allomancer starts at level 1 by being able to burn Basic Metals. At level 11 the Allomancer is able to burn the Higher Metals. At level 17 the Allomancer is able to burn the God Metals.

Burning a metal is a standard action. Multiple metals can be burned at the same time, but each metal burned is a standard action.

The DC for Burning Metal is CON + 1/2 Allomancer level + 15.

All Burning metal effects give a Will save except for Steel and Iron's improvised weapon attack.

Spell resistance is allowed except for Steel and Iron's improvised weapon attack.

Allomancer can activate Burn metal 2 per level + CON bonus/day. The duration of the burn is dependent on the metal being burned (see metal description for the duration of each metal).

Burning metal causes a magic aura to surround the burner.

Basic Metals

Steel: *Gains the ability to "push" metal objects. While burning steel a allomancer can see the location of near by metal objects, and how heavy those objects are. He can "push" any metal object that within his weight capacity in a direction directly opposite himself. Standard Action. He can use this ability to make any metal object into an improvised weapon with a range equal to his Steel range. His steel range is 100' + 10' for every 2 allomancer levels. Standard Action. He can not affect any object outside of his Steel range with this ability. His weight capacity is equal to ˝ his class levels times 100, minimum of 100. At level 9 a Mistborn has gained enough control with Steel to make a ranged bull rush as a standard action. Against foes wearing metal armor, you can make a ranged bull rush attack. This functions as a regular bull rush except that you do not provoke an attack of opportunity. You gain a +2 bonus on this attempt, and may use your intelligence modifier in place of your strength modifier. You still provoke attacks of opportunity as normal from movement as a result of the bull rush.
    Any metal object can be “pushed” to act as a improvised weapon. The damage for the improvised weapon is 1d6 +CON at level 1 increasing by 1d6 every five levels. This treated as a ranged attack. Each daily burn of Steel lasts 1 minute Each use of Steel cost 1 Burn activation.

Steel Flare: When an Allomancer flares steel his Improvised weapon gains +2 damage for every 4 BAB the Allomancer has (Minimum of +2 damage). So an Allomancer who has a BAB of 8 would have a bonus +6 to his improvised weapon while flaring steel.

Tin: +2 bonus to Perception checks, and Blind Sense out to 10'. Increases to +4 at 6th level Blind Sense 30', +6 at 12th level Blind Sense 50', and +8 at 18th level 100'. Each burn of Tin last for 1 hour.

Tin Flare: Allomancers who flare tin gain Darkvision 120'.

Pewter:*+2 bonus to Str, Con, and Dex. At level 7 increases to +4, plus fast healing 2, at level 13 it increases to +6 and fast healing 4, and he gains DR 4/Adamantine, and at level 20 it increases to +6, fast healing 6, and DR 8/Adamantine. An allomancer can burn Pewter for 10 minutes.

Pewter Flare: Gain an the effect of Haste as the spell.

Iron:*Iron functions as steel except that it is a "Pull" rather than a push. The object moves in a straight line towards the Mistborn unless he chooses to stop pulling or something impedes his path. Like with Steel, he can use this to make any metal item into an improvised weapon as a standard Action. At level 9 you gain the ability to make a ranged disarm attack as a standard action. You do not provoke an attack of opportunity from this attempt. You make the attempt as if wielding a 2 handed weapon and gain a +2 bonus on the attempt. DC equals the opponents CMD. If you fail, your opponent does not get to make a disarm attempt against you. Each daily burn of Iron lasts 1 minute Each use of Steel cost 1 Burn activation.

Iron Flare: See "Steel Flare".

Copper: Immunity to Divination effects. At level 6 this blocks any attempt to use Divination within 50' of the allomancer. An allomancer can burn Copper for 30 minutes.

Copper Flare: Doubles the range of immunity to divination.

Brass:*Allows an Allomancer to “soothe” another person’s emotions. This acts as the Calm Emotions spell. Person under this effect has -4 to attack rolls, and burner get +20 to Bluff and Diplomacy checks against the target. Duration as spell "Calm Emotions".

Brass Flare: +2 to the DC of Brass.

Zinc:*Allows an Allomancer to “riot” another person’s emotions. This can function as either the Rage, Good Hope, Crushing Despair, or Confusion Spell. Duration as the spell chosen.

Zinc Flare: +2 to the DC of Zinc

Bronze: Acts as the Detect Magic spell. Upgrades to Arcane Sight at level 3, and Analyze Dweomere at level 11. Duration of as the spell.

Bronze Flare: +10 to Spellcraft checks to identify spells

Higher Metals

2 uses of daily burn are needed to activate Higher Metals.

Duralumin:*An Allomancer can burn Duralumin to multiply the bonus or range of any other metal by 2, for one round, but loses the use of that ability completely for the day after the duration of the metal ends. For example, Steel and Iron bonuses on bull rush and disarm attempts would be +4 instead of +2, and the damage would be doubled. The DC for burning metals would be increased by 2 as well.

Duralumin Flare: Multiply range and bonus of another metal by 3 instead of 2. The DC for the metal would increase by 3 instead of 2 as well.

Chromium : As a touch attack this metal drains target of a magic. For 1d6 rounds target can not cast or burn metal of any kind. Uses one burn per use. This is a standard action.

Chromiun Flare: Increase the DC to Chromiun effect by 2.

Bendalloy: Acts as the Spell "Time Stop" Duration as the spell.

Bendalloy Flare: May use Bendalloy in an Antimagic Field.

Cadmium: act as the "Temporal Stasis" except that it has a radius burst of 20' feet with the allomancer as the center. All creatures (including the allomancer) in the radius must make a will save or be subjected to the effects of "Temporal Stasis". The duration of Cadmium is 1d4+1 when the duration ends all creatures effected by Cadmium are free of the effect.

Cadmium Flare: May use Cadmium in an Antimagic Field.

God Metals

5 uses of daily burns are needed to activation God Metals

Atium: Gives burner 75% miss chance, and the effect of the "True Strike" Spell. An allomancer can burn Atium 1d4+1 rounds. Another Allomancer burning Atium cancels this effect.

Atium Flare: May not be canceled by anything, except another Allomancer burning Flaring Atium.

Malatium: As the "Vision" spell. One Question per burn.

Malatium Flare: DC to Malatium increases by 2

Coinshot Flurry (SP)

At level 3 Allomancer gains the ability Coinshot Flurry. This works as the Monk ability Flurry of blows but is used for the Steel or Iron Improvised weapon ability. The Allomancer only gains use of this ability when burning Steel or Iron, and if there is enough improvised weapons for each attack. Using this ability is a full round action.

Metal Flare (SP)

Starting at level 5 the Allomancer gains the ability to "Flare Metals". "Flare Metals" works as "Burning Metals" except addition effects are added. The effects of the Flare are dependent on the metal being flared (see description under metals). Allomancers can only flare metal for a short amount of time each day, 5 rounds per day. An Allomancer can Flare Metal past this duration, but risk being damaged, 2 Wisdom ability points damage/round over 1/2 Allomancer level/day. Allomancers brought down to Zero Wisdom by burning Metal this way go completely mad until being cured. Only one metal can be flared at a time. the effects of flare do not stack with Duralumin. 2 extra Daily Burn Uses are needed to flare a metal.

The Allomancer can Flare Basic Metals at level 5, Higher Metals at level 15, and God Metals at level 19.

Fast Burn (EX)

At level 7 an Allomancer can activate a Burn Metal as a move action, which mean the Allomancer can start burning Steel as a move action and and Burn Zinc to calm emotions of a target as a standard action, or start burning Steel move action and start burning Iron as a standard action. Some talents of certain Metals are listed as standard actions or full round actions and CAN NOT BE used as a move action.

At level 16 the Allomancer can activate a Burn Metal as a swift action in the same manner.

Savant (SU)

The Allomancer no longer limited to 5 rounds per day of "Metal Flare". Instead he gains the X Flare effect of all metals for as long as the normal duration of Metal lasts. The Burn Metal uses are not increased by 2 as in "Metal Flare".

Metal Talents

Starting at level 2 and every two levels after the Allomancer gains a Metal Talent. Metal Talents can also be taken as feats. Advanced talents require 10 levels of Allomancer to be taking as feats.

Talent
    Prerequisites
    Benefits

Blind Sight
    Tin
    Gain the ability “Blind Sight” while burning Tin. Range equal to the Allomancer blind sense ability.

Denser Tissues
    Pewter
    Allomancer gains DR 2/Adamantine. This DR Stacks with any DR -/adamantine the allomancer may have when burning Pewter.

Inhuman Endurance
    Pewter
    Gain the feat endurance when burning Pewter

Long Iron Pull
    Iron
    Increases your base range Pull from 100' to 300'

Long Steel Push
    Steel
    Increases your base range from 100' to 300'

Reflect Metal Missile
    Steel
    Cancels one range attack against you per round of a metal missile. At level 10 can Cancel all range attacks against you of metal missiles. This is an immediate action, and costs one burn per round of reflecting metal missiles.

Iron Will
    Copper
    Gives “Iron Will” Feat

Metal Protection
    Copper
    Gives a reroll on failed will saves Vs. Enchantment spells or spell like abilities.

Extend Mental Protection
    Copper, Metal Protection, level 6
    Gives all allies within 50' all the protections as the burner

Subconscious Seeking
    Bronze
    No spell no longer requires concertation

Increase range
    Bronze
    Doubles the range of Bronze spells.

Focused Emotion
    Zinc
    Increases your Zinc DC by 2

Direct Emotion
    Zinc
    You may choose the who the target of your Confusion spell attacks.

Soothe the Crowd
    Brass
    Brass abilities may effect one person per Allomancer level

Extra Burn

2 extra burns per day. This can be taken multiple times.

Allomancer Jump
    Steel
    Gives +20 to Jump checks must have a metal object under the Allomancer to preform an Allomancer Jump. 1 Daily Burn Per Use.

Slow Fall
    Steel
    Acts as the spell “Feather Fall” metal must be below the Allomancer to slow fall. Immediate Action. 1 Daily Burn Per Use.

Advance Talent

Multi-Steel Bull Rush
    Steel
    Allows Allomancer to Steel Bull Rush all opponents with is a 50' burst. Standard action. 1 Daily Burn per use

Multi-Iron Disarm
    Iron
    Allows Allomancer to Iron Disarm all opponents with is a 50' burst. Standard action. 1 Daily Burn per use.

Allomancer Flight
    Steel
    Act as the spell "Overland Flight". Some form of anchored metal must be under the Allomancer to maintain flight. Same duration as spell. Full round action 4 burn per use.

Defensive Leeching
    Chromium
    Can use Chromium power on someone who attacks the allomancer. 2 Daily Burns per Use. Immediate Action.

Slower Time
    Cadmium
    Adds 3 rounds on to the Time Stop effect.

Inhuman Speed
    Pewter
    Adds 20' feet to your base speed

Allomancer Slide
    Steel, Iron
    Allomancer as a swift action move 10' towards or away from a metal object. 1 daily Burn per use.

Unconscious Burn
    Pewter
    If character goes unconscious Pewter automaticaly Burns. So long as character has remaining burns per day.

Temporal Resistance
    Cadmium
    Allows one reroll for failed Will save to the Allomancer Against the effects of Cadmium.
    Last edited by Stormageddon; 2012-08-20 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Updating changes.
    "On another note, good job, Stormageddon; planting the seeds of doubt and mistrust now will go a long way towards culturing an atmosphere of paranoia and neuroticism, perfect for any evil masterminding which your devious plans might require; it hearkens backs to the hoary days when E.G. Gygax himself strode among us." - White Drake Under The Red Sky Campaign

Under the Red Sky Pathfinder e6

My homebrew:

Stormageddon's Pathfinder/E6... P6 Compendium

(PF) Mistborn, Allomancer

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: (PF) Mistborn, Allomancer (Peach)

Good writeup! As a big fan of the Mistborn trilogy/Alloy of Law, I've been planning on writing up mistborns/feruchamists/twinnings for some time.

Anyway, I do have a few nitpicks, but first let me say this: I've never played Pathfinder. I have friends who have talked to me about the differences, and my system mastery of 3.5 is quite high. However, if there are any PF specific changes that I'm unaware of that invalidate any of my points, I apologize and feel free to correct me.

Moving on, starting from the top:

1) I don't think that 4+ skill points is quite right for this class. While I agree that they shouldn't be skillmonkies, they lack the raw combat or magical skills that low SP characters rely on. I'd bump it up to 6+, just to give them some added versatility.

2) I like the average BAB, but I don't agree with your choice of saves. Giving them only high Fort and a Con SAD class is going to create a very lopsided set of saves. Also, I agree with giving them evasion, but don't recall ever seeing a class without a high Ref save get it. I would personally give them high Ref/Will.

3) The weapon/armor proficiencies aren't really thematic. In both MB and Alloy, the characters wore or carried metal to affect their movement abilities, and in Alloy, the main character used a weapon that was entirely made of metal (his gun). Also, your definition is vague. How would a wooden spear with a metal head work? Is it allowed or no? If any metal is forbidden, you've pretty much condemned them to clubs and( staves.

4) Minor point: You say that there are 4 god metals, but only list 2.

5) Much more importantly, the description for "Burning Metals" is a mess. Most of the basics are there, but they need to be clarified. First, and most important, you don't list a duration. Since you went with a times/day mechanic (which works fine), this is very important. Second, you're going to want to add the word 'day' into the frequency description...right now it just says "useable x times" with no frequency or qualifier.

6) Deserving its own point, you're right about the DC formula, it's a bit erratic. Instead of 10+lvl+Con, I'd suggest 15+1/2lvl+con. That moderates the DC curve and keeps things from swinging quickly into the realm of 'impossible DCs'.

7) A slight thematic point: While I understand not allowing all metals at level 1...the thought of an Allomancer that uses more than 1 metal, but not all of them makes me a bit twitchy.

I'll continue this in another post, as this one's getting a bit long.

3. - Top - End - #3

I've been debating for a while bringing Allomancy into my D&D game... I will follow this thread closely, for tips when I end up making my particular class.
    3DS Friend Code: 1907-9395-1731
    Pokemon X Info: Modern Pattern Vivillon & Flying-Type Friend Safari (w/ Farfetch'd & Swanna)

Avatar: Thanks to asdflove for my avatar. ^_^

4. - Top - End - #4

smile Re: (PF) Mistborn, Allomancer (Peach)

Quote Originally Posted by Raiki View Post
    Good writeup! As a big fan of the Mistborn trilogy/Alloy of Law, I've been planning on writing up mistborns/feruchamists/twinnings for some time.

Anyway, I do have a few nitpicks, but first let me say this: I've never played Pathfinder. I have friends who have talked to me about the differences, and my system mastery of 3.5 is quite high. However, if there are any PF specific changes that I'm unaware of that invalidate any of my points, I apologize and feel free to correct me.

Moving on, starting from the top:

1) I don't think that 4+ skill points is quite right for this class. While I agree that they shouldn't be skillmonkies, they lack the raw combat or magical skills that low SP characters rely on. I'd bump it up to 6+, just to give them some added versatility.

2) I like the average BAB, but I don't agree with your choice of saves. Giving them only high Fort and a Con SAD class is going to create a very lopsided set of saves. Also, I agree with giving them evasion, but don't recall ever seeing a class without a high Ref save get it. I would personally give them high Ref/Will.

3) The weapon/armor proficiencies aren't really thematic. In both MB and Alloy, the characters wore or carried metal to affect their movement abilities, and in Alloy, the main character used a weapon that was entirely made of metal (his gun). Also, your definition is vague. How would a wooden spear with a metal head work? Is it allowed or no? If any metal is forbidden, you've pretty much condemned them to clubs and( staves.

4) Minor point: You say that there are 4 god metals, but only list 2.

5) Much more importantly, the description for "Burning Metals" is a mess. Most of the basics are there, but they need to be clarified. First, and most important, you don't list a duration. Since you went with a times/day mechanic (which works fine), this is very important. Second, you're going to want to add the word 'day' into the frequency description...right now it just says "useable x times" with no frequency or qualifier.

6) Deserving its own point, you're right about the DC formula, it's a bit erratic. Instead of 10+lvl+Con, I'd suggest 15+1/2lvl+con. That moderates the DC curve and keeps things from swinging quickly into the realm of 'impossible DCs'.

7) A slight thematic point: While I understand not allowing all metals at level 1...the thought of an Allomancer that uses more than 1 metal, but not all of them makes me a bit twitchy.

I'll continue this in another post, as this one's getting a bit long.

Thank you both for the feed back!

1) I like it 6 skill points per level it is.

2) Good point I did not think about it change will be made.

3) Yes I agreed. I made the choice because because made wearing metal puts the allomancer at a disadvantage against other allomancers, but making the it a no no seems too strong now that I think about it. Maybe giving them all martial and simple weapons and just light armor pro, and let the characters use metals at their own risk would be better.

4) will change.

5) I was thinking of the DC 15 + 1/2 level plus con when I wrote it did not seem fitting with the Pathfinder theme, but what the hell I'm homebrewing. Yes duration is a must.

7) This one I have to disagreed with you on. Thematically even though an allomancer can use all metals, it does not mean they know to use all the metals right off the bat. See Vin only being taught how to use 4 metals by Kell in the beginning, because she was not ready to learn the others, and Kell needing to figure out how to use the 11th metal. that was the feel fluff wise I was looking for. Learning and growing as an Allomancer.

Advice on the duration of the burning metals would be helpful. Maybe do it metal by metal.
    Thanks again the feed back!
    "On another note, good job, Stormageddon; planting the seeds of doubt and mistrust now will go a long way towards culturing an atmosphere of paranoia and neuroticism, perfect for any evil masterminding which your devious plans might require; it hearkens backs to the hoary days when E.G. Gygax himself strode among us." - White Drake Under The Red Sky Campaign

My homebrew:

5. - Top - End - #5

Changes made!

My homebrew:

6. - Top - End - #6

Comment 2: The Commenting.

General comments on the metals, in no specific order:

Pewter: I like it. It fits the flavor well, and the bonuses are both relevent and appropriately timed. Good job.

Conversely, I hate how Zinc and Brass work. I feel they're far too limited. Especially Zinc.

Zinc: I'd change it to let you choose between using Rage, Fear, Good Hope, Crushing Despair, and Confusion. To me, that is more appropriate to the power level, as well as fitting the theme better. They could riot more than just anger, afterall.

Brass: While Calm Emotions does pretty much cover all soothing, I feel that it is, mechanically speaking, inferior to most of the other choices. It's only a second level spell. I would add in a bit more to bring it up to snuff and to add that sinistre feeling that soothers took in some scenes of the book. Maybe give a -4 penalty to all rolls due to extreme apathy?

Bronze: Same problem as Brass, though easier to fix. I'd say start it off as just Detect Magic, but add in Arcane Sight as an option at level 3, and Analyze Dweomere at level 11. That makes it more flexible, and brings it up to a certain level of usefulness.

Copper: I'd restyle this as a bonus against divination. Start at +2, maybe scale up to +10 by level 15, then complete immunity at 17?

Tin: It's a good, solid foundation. The bonuses to perception are more or less spot on, but 20' blindsense at level twenty is laughable. There are 10th level magic items better than that. Rather, I would say to change blindsense to blind sight at around level 12-15, and increase the ranges to 20' at 12 and either 60 or 100 (whichever you're more comfortable with) at 18. I know that's a drastic change, but if you recall Spook in book 3...his senses were advanced enough to be a bit scary.

And the ones I saved for last...the most flavorful and iconic metals of all, Steel and Iron: Now...I appreciate that you tried to make them unique by allowing one to disarm and one to bullrush. That's fine. A bit limited in scope compared to the source material, but an acceptable compromise for balance purposes. What I don't understand is how you could leave out the self-movement aspects of the metals. It's why they called lurchers lurchers, after all. It would actually be pretty simple to fix. Just add in the line that "If an object pushed or pulled upon has greater (functional) weight than the allomancer, the alomancer herself moves the distance specified rather than the object." Boom. Now lurchers can leap up metal buildings, coinshots can push themselves off metal floornails, and everyone can still screw with metal arrowheads to their hearts' content.

Higher Metals:

Duralumin: Sounds good. A good compromise between fluff and crunch.

Chromium: Again...sounds good to me.

Bendalloy: Well, first off, I think Bendalloy should be Time Stop, not Cadmium. And rather than 1/day, I'd say that the allomancer should get 1 round of stopped time per 3 levels. That allows for the quick time-hops that Wayne(?) used in Alloy. If you tend to run particularly cinematic games, I might even suggest 1 round/ 2 levels.

Cadmium: This one is tricky. I'm not sure D&D really has anything to replicate this...but it's definitely not time stop. TS makes you *faster* than other people, not slower. What I might suggest would be a variation on paralysis. Let the allomancer choose a radius, and everyone in that radius (including the allomancer) is paralyzed until the allomancer stops burning (though, because outside time moves so much more quickly than the time inside, I'd say a minimum of 3-5 rounds would be called for. Keep the caveat that no one outside the bubble can harm anyone inside of it, and specify that the paralysis is mental as well as physical, and you have a working facsimile of how the book described Cadmium.

God Metals:

Atium: Add in that they get the effect of True Strike, to account for the offensive applications, and I'd call it perfect.

Malatium: "As the Vision spell." Done.

I might comment on the metal talents later, but right now my eyes and brain hurt from what I've typed already. Hope this helped, and I'll keep my eyes on the thread when I can. Good Gaming.

~R~

7. - Top - End - #7

Raiki, I like what you're throwing out there!

Yes I had the same thought about some of the metals not being up to snuff as other metals, but wasn't sure what to do.

Zinc: I like it. Change will be made.

Brass: I like the -4 to attacks. I'm thinking maybe a +20 to Bluff and Diplomacy checks would ad the fluff of making people more easy to doing what you want.

Bronze: I like it. Good call!

Copper: Hmmm... It might not be game breaking to give it complete immunity to divination right off the bat.

Tin: Got a metal talent that gives Blind sight. I like the range changes though.

Steel and Iron: Got talents that cover the tricks you mentioned. The weight issue I debated on, but decided against it for crunch reasons. I didn't want people to make their characters super fat just to gain an advantage, or large races to have an advantage over smaller races. Fits fluff to, Vin gave Kell a run for his money even though she was smaller than him.

I used "over land fight" it a talent to duplicate metal jumping. Maybe I change it to fly at level 15 so long as metal is available under burner. Or change the fluff to "Over Metal Flight".

Bendalloy: Damn got the metals confused. I like it. Will change.

Cadmium: I'll have to think on this. Maybe give it a small radius say 20' to make it useful as some battle field control action. Make it a bubble in which no creatures can take any action or be effected by any creature outside the effect.

Atium: Yes! change coming.

Malatium: I love it! Done.

My homebrew:

8. - Top - End - #8

Away for a couple of days. Answer as soon as possible. Keep the suggestions coming! Thank you.

My homebrew:

9. - Top - End - #9

Looking for advice on the metal progression. I only allowed room for one god metal. I'm trying to think of a reason a character would take Malatium over Atium, and I don't see a reason to as Atium is clearly the more powerful option.

Debating whether or not to give Metal Access (5) at level one and continue the progression from there so the Allomancer would get all the Metals. I dislike giving Atium to early though.

or

Just giving access all God Metals at level 19. Which I'm thinking might be better than the Class Cap ability.

If using that option I might go ahead and forget the Metal Progression, and Just Give all the Basic Metals at level one. All the Higher Metals at level 11 and all God Metals at level.... 17? 19?

I'm leaning towards the second option now, but concerned about balance issues (giving a level 1 character that many options seems like a lot to me). Than I would have to use something to fill in the dead levels as dead levels in Pathfinder is a big NO.

Any insight to these problems would be a big help.

My homebrew:

10. - Top - End - #10

Post Re: (PF) Mistborn, Allomancer (Peach)

I've only read the first mistborn book, but you really need a mechanic for flaring metals. Otherwise, looks pretty neat.
    Extended Signature here.

Darth Vader avatar by Kymme

SWSE Campaign:
    IC Thread
    OOC Thread

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Vilpich View Post
    I've only read the first mistborn book, but you really need a mechanic for flaring metals. Otherwise, looks pretty neat.
    Thanks! I've completely over looked that. Will come soon.

My homebrew:

12. - Top - End - #12

Still more changes made. Need some for level 9 though.

My homebrew:

13. - Top - End - #13

Ummm...Taim? You realize that some of the changes you're making are a bit drastic, right?

For example, since you added /level to the end of the durations of each metal, a 20th level allomancer can now get far better combat bonuses than a 20th level raging barbarian...all day...every day...by using just 7 of their (conservative estimate) 45 burns per day. That's all it takes to be constantly burning Pewter at that level.

Add in the attack chain from coinshotting (which has 2 more attacks/round than a flurrying monk, and 3 more than a 20th lvl fighter), judicious use of Atium/Bendalloy, the fact that for 2 burns/day they can make a small village immune to scrying, and their broke-tastic new wish power...and this class is quickly spiraling out of control.

If you want my advice (which you're free to ignore, of course), drop the /level on the durations, delete or rework Ascension, and tone down flurry a little bit (maybe turn it into a 30' range whirlwind attack? That's not too bad for a high level power).

As another note: your new idea for giving out metals in chunks has merit. And you'd be giving out fewer options than a 1st level wizard with a high Int. Maybe fill some of the dead levels with new abilities? Coinshot skirmish/sneak attack maybe?

14. - Top - End - #14

Ummm...Taim? You realize that some of the changes you're making are a bit drastic, right?

For example, since you added /level to the end of the durations of each metal, a 20th level allomancer can now get far better combat bonuses than a 20th level raging barbarian...all day...every day...by using just 7 of their (conservative estimate) 45 burns per day. That's all it takes to be constantly burning Pewter at that level.

Add in the attack chain from coinshotting (which has 2 more attacks/round than a flurrying monk, and 3 more than a 20th lvl fighter), judicious use of Atium/Bendalloy, the fact that for 2 burns/day they can make a small village immune to scrying, and their broke-tastic new wish power...and this class is quickly spiraling out of control.

If you want my advice (which you're free to ignore, of course), drop the /level on the durations, delete or rework Ascension, and tone down flurry a little bit (maybe turn it into a 30' range whirlwind attack? That's not too bad for a high level power).

As another note: your new idea for giving out metals in chunks has merit. And you'd be giving out fewer options than a 1st level wizard with a high Int. Maybe fill some of the dead levels with new abilities? Coinshot skirmish/sneak attack maybe?
    Hey Raiki,

Thanks for the check. I'll rework Ascension, and tone take out the /level.

As for the Coinshot Flurry is on Par with the Pathfinder Monk (in fact I used it's table). The Flurry of Blows got upgrade a bit in Pathfinder. Check it out.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk.

Maybe decrease the Improvised Weapon Damage?... But it's not much more than the Monk doing a max damage roll of 20, and Allomancer doing a max roll of 24 not that much of a difference. I'll have to think about it.

Absolutely want the advice, keep it coming!

My homebrew:

15. - Top - End - #15

Okay, I didn't realize that PF flurry was different. Add that to the long list of ****e Raiki Doesn't Know.

I'll take another look tomorrow, see if I spot anything else.

Also, I thought you might be interested to know that reading this thread has finally provided the impetus I needed to start statting up the Feruchemist. I'll post it when I'm done so people can take a look. It'll be 3.5, not PF, but that should be easy enough to convert.

~R~

16. - Top - End - #16

Ok more changes down. I think Savant is a better Capstone than the daily wish was in Ascension. Just seems more Allomancery.

So I think this class is close to how I want it. No dead levels. Focused on using Allomancer abilities. SAD but not too SAD. Almost there.

Worried that Fast Burn just might be too much.

I'm thinking I need to work a bit on Metal Talent too compensate for all changes I've made to the rest of the class. It's seriously a lot different than when I started.

Am I hitting at least tier 3? Anyone got a good grasp on that?

Looking forward to seeing Reiki's the Feruchemist.

My homebrew:

17. - Top - End - #17

Okay. Last post before bed, I swear.

One last thing I noticed is that (unless this has been changed in PF), flurry of blows (and thus, by extension, coinshot flurry) is a full-round action. So the allomancer wouldn't be able to activate steel and then flurry in one round until the swift-action version of Fast Burn.

Just a small thing, but maybe it will help solve some of your reservations about Fast Burn?

~R~

18. - Top - End - #18

Okay. Last post before bed, I swear.

One last thing I noticed is that (unless this has been changed in PF), flurry of blows (and thus, by extension, coinshot flurry) is a full-round action. So the allomancer wouldn't be able to activate steel and then flurry in one round until the swift-action version of Fast Burn.

Just a small thing, but maybe it will help solve some of your reservations about Fast Burn?

~R~
    Actually yeah that helped. I was going to make Coinshot Flurry a standard action, since a lot of people complain about Flurry of Blows being weak because of the nature of melee combat and how squishy a monk can be that he has to run around a lot. But your comment made me realize the Allomancer is a ranged striker and does not need to move as much. Completely solves the balance issue I was having with Fast Burn to make Coinshot Flurry a full round Action. Thanks!

My homebrew:

19. - Top - End - #19

Okay folks, as promised, I've posted The Feruchemist to the boards for critiquing. Feel free to stop in and let me know how you like it.

~R~