New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker

Huh. I'm almost exactly ambivalent here.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rise of the Skywalker... hmm. Kylo's rise to Emperor? Luke's rise to godhood?

What looks like Tattoine or Jakku...hmm.

Palpatine's return could be great, but I don't have confidence they can handle it correctly.

More observanht people than me, that's a new lightsabre, right?

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    I watched TLJ in large part to see a Jedi Master who's had decades to hone his skills remind everyone of why he's a legend. Instead, I got a grumpy old man who'd given up, and whose motivation for doing so did not feel convincing. The Force hologram trick at the end fit what I'd wanted to see, and the moment where he ostentatiously brushes off a bit of dust after having taken extended focus fire from the entire enemy force is great, but it was too little and too late.
    I can't agree enough with that. Still excited for the new one. I'm an eternal optimist for Star War.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Are we going to see Force Ghosts fighting?
    Those cats are fast as lightning!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pronounceable View Post
    I like the audacity of a disney title saying Luke can still get it up. Way to go, mouse.
    Ewwwwwwww.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

That title really clashes with the previous film's message. TLJ worked so hard to oppose dynasties. It said that heroes don't have to be born into a legendary bloodline. They can just be a random person, whose parents were complete nobodies. It reminded us that the Force belongs to everyone: Not just a pompous order of robed monks. And it showed us that even the legendary Luke Skywalker was just a man. To avoid repeating his mistakes, the next generation must leave his shadow.

Well, so much for that.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anyr View Post
    That title really clashes with the previous film's message. TLJ worked so hard to oppose dynasties. It said that heroes don't have to be born into a legendary bloodline. They can just be a random person, whose parents were complete nobodies. It reminded us that the Force belongs to everyone: Not just a pompous order of robed monks. And it showed us that even the legendary Luke Skywalker was just a man. To avoid repeating his mistakes, the next generation must leave his shadow.

Well, so much for that.
    Honestly, the title is just weird, it's like they forgot an article. The Rise of The Skywalker would make sense (though it would still be ridiculous), even the Rise of the Skywalkers would work, especially if the idea is that Rey renames the Jedi Order the Order of Skywalkers or something (again, ridiculous, but I can see it), but The Rise of Skywalker? I don't get it. That's the kind of title you would use if 'Skywalker' was intended to represent a nation (ex. 'The Rise of China') or make a historical movement (ex. 'The Rise of Fascism'), but Skywalker is a family name. It just...doesn't fall off the tongue properly.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    Honestly, the title is just weird, it's like they forgot an article. The Rise of The Skywalker would make sense (though it would still be ridiculous), even the Rise of the Skywalkers would work, especially if the idea is that Rey renames the Jedi Order the Order of Skywalkers or something (again, ridiculous, but I can see it), but The Rise of Skywalker? I don't get it. That's the kind of title you would use if 'Skywalker' was intended to represent a nation (ex. 'The Rise of China') or make a historical movement (ex. 'The Rise of Fascism'), but Skywalker is a family name. It just...doesn't fall off the tongue properly.
    Really? Do you think The Rise of Mandela, or The Rise of Gandhi or even the Rise of Hitler wouldn't work as titles?

Refering to people by their surname alone isn't infrequent. The Original Trilog did it a bit with Luke himself, in fact.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

My moneys on the story ending with the new non-Jedi order that gets made being called the Skywalkers.

In any case I thought TLJ was an alright but flawed movie. So I’m probably going to see this. The return of the Emperor has me worried though.

I swear if there’s another damn Death Star I will find JJ Abrams go right up to his face and tell him I’m disappointed in him.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

I don't want to see it because I don't want to be lectured and yelled at again for being born incorrectly, but I probably will because Star Wars.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Really? Do you think The Rise of Mandela, or The Rise of Gandhi or even the Rise of Hitler wouldn't work as titles?

Refering to people by their surname alone isn't infrequent. The Original Trilog did it a bit with Luke himself, in fact.
    Those would work sure, if 'Skywalker' was being used in the singular here, but it's pretty obviously not being used that way. Skywalker, as an individual in the context of Star Wars film means Luke Skywalker - not Anakin, not any of Luke's relatives from the EU, not Leia, just Luke. And Luke's dead. Is he going to rise from the grave? I suppose the title works if either Rey or Kylo are going to become 'Skywalker' to be remembered by the title for a thousand years or something, but that's terrible for a whole bunch of other reasons.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Peelee
    Really? Y'all leaving all the optimism up to me?
    No…there is another.

Originally Posted by Peelee
    Ep 9, y'all ! WOOOOOOOOOO!
    Right there with you.

I mean, Lando.

Originally Posted by Cikomyr
    It'd be nice if "Skywalker" becomes some sort of alternate name for Jedi in the verse.
    Originally Posted by Dienekes
    My moneys on the story ending with the new non-Jedi order that gets made being called the Skywalkers.
    Yeah, I have a feeling it’s something along these lines. Or "Skywalker" as an honorary title for an exceptional Force-user.

Also, there's nothing preventing Rey from taking the surname to honor her teacher.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Those would work sure, if 'Skywalker' was being used in the singular here, but it's pretty obviously not being used that way. Skywalker, as an individual in the context of Star Wars film means Luke Skywalker - not Anakin, not any of Luke's relatives from the EU, not Leia, just Luke. And Luke's dead. Is he going to rise from the grave?

What do you think?
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-04-12 at 07:11 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Episode IX - Rise of the Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    I'm pretty sure the working title was 'Die In A Fire, Rian Johnson'.
    If they really wanted to turn a profit they should call it "Like this Film or We're Ending the MCU."

Or they could just go full Spaceballs and name it "The Quest for More Money."

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Is he going to rise from the grave? I suppose the title works if either Rey or Kylo are going to become 'Skywalker' to be remembered by the title for a thousand years or something, but that's terrible for a whole bunch of other reasons.
    Kylo could get turned and decide to adopt Skywalker; he has as much right to the name as anybody else, and if he decides to do it he probably winds up destroying the First Order or taking it over as .. well, probably *not* a New New Republic, that doesn't seem to be in his character, but a less oppressive Empire? Maybe Leia just completely flips out, embraces her Force powers and becomes the new Empress Chancellor. I kind of like the idea that Rey and/or Leia and/or a possibly-turned Kylo start up a new order of Force users (not Jedi, the Jedi philosophy has no proponents in the galaxy any more that we know of, and Luke definitively said not to do that again - Rey may use the ancient Jedi books for instruction in Force techniques, but I doubt they'll be Jedi as we have come to know them) and use Skywalker as the name. It's like the one thing that I think should be carried over from Episode VIII: Skywalker is becoming known throughout space as a watchword for a guardian, the last chance, hope for the otherwise hopeless. Seems like a good sign for those who will eventually ruin everything in the next cycle of movies

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I'm guessing they are playing up the nostalgia factor to try and make people actually get interested in SW again after the TLJ s**tstorm...

I wish Disney would just pull a Highlander and completely ignore the last movie.

In any case... I doubt I'll go watch this in the movie. Between TLJ and Solo, Disney completely killed my interest in SW. I simply can't muster the energy or excitement for the Disney SW.
    Homebrew Stuff:

14. - Top - End - #44

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    I don't want to see it because I don't want to be lectured and yelled at again for being born incorrectly
    Again? Huh, I must have missed that movie. And here I thought I'd seen 'em all.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

I am curious. Not stoked, but curious.

The trailer has left me with these questions:

-Why isn't the tie interceptor firing? Is the pilot thinking "instead of my 4 rapid fire blasters, I am going to run into Rey at high speed." If he did hit her, he wouldn't be able to see out the windshield because of all the guts and blood.

-Is the big chunk of death star on Endor? Something that big falling from orbit would cause a lot of damage. Were the ewoks wiped out by all the falling death star debris? That would be dark.... but cool. I hope the opening of the movie is fire raining from the sky roasting ewoks.

-Does the cackling at the end mean that Palpatine survived the fall? Because Dark Maul survived a fall from a great height. So did Luke Skywalker. And Anakin Skywalker. Hmmm..... Does this mean Mace Windu could still be alive? Maybe he is Rey's father.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

I am calling it now, the palp-laugh is a distraction.

They're ending the trilogy of trilogies here, which means going back over everything. When they go back to Endor, they arnt going back for Palp... They are going so Kylo can meet his grandfather's ghost

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by napoleon_in_rag View Post
    -Is the big chunk of death star on Endor? Something that big falling from orbit would cause a lot of damage. Were the ewoks wiped out by all the falling death star debris? That would be dark.... but cool. I hope the opening of the movie is fire raining from the sky roasting ewoks.
    The destruction of Endor due to Death Star II debris was a long and miserable controversy in Star Wars fandom known as the Endor Holocaust, and of course Abrams would be the type of person to open up that can of worms all over again. However, the chunk of the Death Star might also be on Yavin IV (a single shot is insufficient to tell the two moons apart) which actually, in reference to the broader lore, makes more sense as a place to go back to.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos

They're ending the trilogy of trilogies here, which means going back over everything. When they go back to Endor, they arnt going back for Palp... They are going so Kylo can meet his grandfather's ghost
    There's apparently enough Palps in this that Ian McDiarmind showed up onstage for the reveal of this trailer. So he's at least showing up as a Sith Spirit. I actually wouldn't be surprised if the spirit of the Emperor ended up as the main villain of this, perhaps by possessing Kylo or someone else, simply because there's no one else available. The end of TLJ left the First Order with exactly two named characters: Kylo Ren and General Hux, neither of whom is suitable as a big bad. With only the runtime of a single movie to work with, Abrams reaching into the bag to pull out a recognizable villain is understandable. It's a bad move, but there aren't any good ones.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Banned

ClericGuy

I think we can safely say Ren lied to Rey. She's almost certainly a Skywalker.

There is literally no way Ren can be redeemed at this point. The rest of them are dead, so it's her or it's no-one.

And Palpatine is back? I'm calling it as either:

1) A 'Charging Hulk/ Infinity War' misdirection.

2) The plot revolves around finally confirming that Palps and Plagius did in fact create Anakin (and thus the entire Skywalker line) via some kind of Force experiment. The Heroes will travel to the DS2 to confirm that Sidious was behind the whole thing (again).

Explains why Rey is poking around the ruined DS2 (presumably on Endor).

I presume the Force has now 'Awakened' as the final phase of the Skywalker experiment comes to pass, and there are now two Skywalkers (one dark, and one light). Either literally (as in Rey and Ren) or metaphorically (within Ren). At the end of the 'final battle' the experiment will be complete.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

-Why isn't the tie interceptor firing? Is the pilot thinking "instead of my 4 rapid fire blasters, I am going to run into Rey at high speed." If he did hit her, he wouldn't be able to see out the windshield because of all the guts and blood.
    I'm going to wait until the actual movie - we've seen trailers before that left out visual effects for some reason. Maybe when it comes out the fighter will charge her weapons blazing.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post

Was it actually confirmed it is Endor? It may be Yavin 4. Especially if he appropriates the SWEU lore that Yavin 4 was a force strong point and home to an ancient Sith temple.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

To be quite honest, I've been constantly affixed to an IV drip of skepticism since even before TLJ came out. I'm going to wait in the safety of my own home until someone tells me if it's good or bad. Although, I'm not definitely feeling it's going to be bad, I'm more neutral about it. It could go either way.
    "You... little... *****. It's what my old man called me, it's like it was my name, and I proved him right, by killing all the wrong people. [And], I love ya Henry, and I'll never call you anything but your name, but you gotta decide; are you gonna lay there, swallow that blood in your mouth, or are you gonna stand up, spit it out, and go spill theirs?" - Unknown

22. - Top - End - #52

Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    I think we can safely say Ren lied to Rey. She's almost certainly a Skywalker.
    Not at all? She's (still, ever since the first movie) certainly not a Skywalker.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

The destruction of Endor due to Death Star II debris was a long and miserable controversy in Star Wars fandom known as the Endor Holocaust, and of course Abrams would be the type of person to open up that can of worms all over again. However, the chunk of the Death Star might also be on Yavin IV (a single shot is insufficient to tell the two moons apart) which actually, in reference to the broader lore, makes more sense as a place to go back to.
    It was and the EU explained it away(at least the parts I heard) by having the Rebellion fleet break up the larger bits of debris before they could crash and possible screw it all up.

But ya, please don't open this up again. We don't need that.

Quote Originally Posted by SavageWombat View Post
    I'm going to wait until the actual movie - we've seen trailers before that left out visual effects for some reason. Maybe when it comes out the fighter will charge her weapons blazing.
    Except that they would have to have editted out the explosions of sand and that seems less plausible to me. Also it'd be really dumb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

24. - Top - End - #54
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well being objective as I can be....

The trailer is a bit bland. Honestly, I see nothing here to really engage interest. The Rae character taking on the tie fighter or whatever their calling nowadays looks silly and puts me in the mind of Michael Bay style action. Over the top, flashy, forgetful after it happens. Okay Old Lando makes an appearance, but meh. More than likely will be killed off given current track records. Voices of Luke and Palpatine just did nothing for this other than bring confusion. On more desert planets, rocky coast planets, and nothing else beyond this. Still see nothing to explain or give some idea of what the post movies are to be about.

I can get Abbrams is doing his mystery box thing but again nothing here seems to merit interest in this movie based on the trailer alone. Which by this point is getting old. And frankly I have no high expectations on this one as well.

25. - Top - End - #55

PirateGuy

Because it's visually evocative of the crop duster scene in North by Northwest and aside from a couple of bullet ricochets in one moment it was trying to run its target down.
    Now with half the calories!

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The New Bruceski View Post
    Because it's visually evocative of the crop duster scene in North by Northwest and aside from a couple of bullet ricochets in one moment it was trying to run its target down.
    Why would JJ Abrams be referencing North by Northwest in Star Wars? It makes no sense and the two moments aren't even remotely similar. It'd be like doing that scene with an F16. It doesn't work.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    Why would JJ Abrams be referencing North by Northwest in Star Wars? It makes no sense and the two moments aren't even remotely similar. It'd be like doing that scene with an F16. It doesn't work.
    Because Lucas did that sort of thing all the time.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSuRmmryeYY

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The New Bruceski View Post
    Because Lucas did that sort of thing all the time.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSuRmmryeYY
    Yes, when they made sense and he was typically mimicking war movies so it typically worked. That? That doesn't work. On top of this she'd be fried by the Ion Engine wash on the back of the Interceptor.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59

PirateGuy

By all means, let's make sure our futuristic fantasy movie series based on cinematic visual storytelling properly holds up to realism.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

I'm only speculating here, but I'll spoiler it just in case I happen to be right:

Spoiler
    Show
    My guess is that Kylo is piloting it. They aren't fighting, he's training her.