New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [Avatar d20 Project] Setting Main Hub

Quote Originally Posted by felinoel View Post
    Knowledge (religion)? You are keeping that skill in this system? I didn't think there was religion in Avatar, well except for Huu and the swamp but that is more of a philosophy then a religion...
    The "skills" section of the web page details the changes to the Knowledge skills that we made to make them conform to the Avatar world. In the Avatar d20 system, Knowledge (Religion) includes the spirits, religious practices and symbolism, philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by felinoel View Post
    I noticed that the Spirit World has two realms, one that is sort of an overworld of the natural world, and another that is its own place, the overworld seems to have the same features of the place it is over in the natural world, and seems to be able to be affected by those in the natural world affecting that place in the natural world. I figured that creature Iroh saw flying by was in the overworld part of the Spirit World at the time, not invisable in the natural world. Like Hei Bai's forest in the Spirit World and how it looks just like the forest in the natural world and how it had been affected by the natural world's version of the forest being burned down, and it was Aang who called the overworld I speak of part of the Spirit World in either episode 107 or 108, its a two parter
    That's entirely possible. I considered something like that and decided against it for a few reasons. First, none of the former Avatars or the other "experts" on the Spirit World ever mention something like that. Second, I don't want to establish a system of planes like in run-of-the-mill D&D. Nothing in the show indicates anything like that. Third...this was easier .

That said, I'm willing to look into any number of alternate systems and discuss pros and cons.

Mephibosheth
    The Scroungers Campaign Setting
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew
    A Zombiemageddon Campaign Journal!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mephibosheth View Post
    The "skills" section of the web page details the changes to the Knowledge skills that we made to make them conform to the Avatar world. In the Avatar d20 system, Knowledge (Religion) includes the spirits, religious practices and symbolism, philosophy.

That's entirely possible. I considered something like that and decided against it for a few reasons. First, none of the former Avatars or the other "experts" on the Spirit World ever mention something like that. Second, I don't want to establish a system of planes like in run-of-the-mill D&D. Nothing in the show indicates anything like that. Third...this was easier .

That said, I'm willing to look into any number of alternate systems and discuss pros and cons.

Mephibosheth
    Oh, I read the skills section long ago and must have forgotten it then

Well I never said they were different planes, they could be on the same plane just farther out, but now that you mention planes the way the Avatar and others enter it, it sure does seem like planes

The Swashbuckling Jellyfish of Elan's Chaotic Conscience Fanclub

I like piezzzzz
    Haley likes pirates,
    Why don't you?

3. - Top - End - #63

I think that Spirit Touched should have a higher skill requirement to be taken. True awareness of the spirit world just doesn't seem like something that a third level character would be likely to have.
    GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

4. - Top - End - #64

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jagadaishio View Post
    I think that Spirit Touched should have a higher skill requirement to be taken. True awareness of the spirit world just doesn't seem like something that a third level character would be likely to have.
    Then how about a level requirement?

I like piezzzzz
    Haley likes pirates,
    Why don't you?

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

To me the spirit world seemed like the astral plane of Shadowrun. It's everywhere, most people just can't see it. And it can visibly overlap like on the North Pole (the Spirit Oasis is a physical part of the spirit world that everyone can enter).
    Winter is coming.

PbP Games:

Spoiler
    Show

Character:

Wonderful Avatar by Ceika

6. - Top - End - #66

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Liliedhe View Post
    To me the spirit world seemed like the astral plane of Shadowrun. It's everywhere, most people just can't see it. And it can visibly overlap like on the North Pole (the Spirit Oasis is a physical part of the spirit world that everyone can enter).
    And theres also the part of the Spirit World that is not overlapping anything but is its own place though

I like piezzzzz
    Haley likes pirates,
    Why don't you?

7. - Top - End - #67

Quote Originally Posted by Liliedhe View Post
    Do the Lost Scrolls books speak to the Spirit World at all?
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, they do. I put the gist of it in my summaries, but I can type it out word for word if you want to.

The part with the Spirit Oasis being part of the spirit world in the physical world is from the DVD commentary, though.
    Winter is coming.

PbP Games:

Spoiler
    Show

Character:

Wonderful Avatar by Ceika

9. - Top - End - #69

So, I was instructed to direct my Affiliation creations here. Wunderbar. Now, I have two Affiliations underway, with Ideas for a few others, and I wanted to ask:

-Should the nations (Earth Kingdom, Fire Nation, Water Tribes, Air Nomads) count as affiliations?
    -If so, are they Racial Affiliations or Social? My first thought was that due to the language under the "Races" section of the four bending classes:
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthbender 2.0
    Races - All earthbenders (with the exception of the Avatar, who is able to master all four elements) are members of the group known as the earth Kingdom.
    that Racial Affiliations was the way to go, leaving room for Order of the White Lotus, Kyoshi Warriors, etc to be social. That said, I can also argue that since their all human, there really shouldnt be ANY Racial affiliations, and they should all be Social, with affiliation score penalties from hailing from a different land. What says the Playground? For the purpose of getting something down, I am assuming that they are NOT Racial affiliations.

Next: In order to conform more to the style of the Avatar series, I propose the following changes to the list of Affiliation Types.

The RAW types: Business, Cabal, College, Druid circle, Fightig company, government, spy ring, temple, thieves guild, or tribe.

I suggest combining Cabal and Druid Circle into a bender's group, since the setting has no magic.

My Proposal (for clarification): Business, Bender's Group (Needs a better name), College, Fighting Company, Government, Spy Ring, Temple, Thieves' Guild, or Tribe.

All that said, a simple caveat when looking at the affiliations: I am not averse to giving Affiliations executive powers that they technicaly don't qualify for, given their Type, so any 'mistakes' of that effect aren't. Also, I'm a big believer in special circumstances, especially regarding how to use multiple affiliations (see special note on Earth Kingdom) However, if you feel they don't really deserve said EP's, say so. I bow to boards consensus.

oh yeah. I don't know how to do tables.

The Earth Kingdom
    Spoiler
    Show
    Symbol: The Royal Symbol
    Background, Goals and Dreams:
    Enemies and Allies: Due to the ongoing war, the Earth Kingdom is bitterly opposed to the Fire Nation and it's Navy. However, the Dai Li work in close tandem with the throne, especially within the confines of Ba Sing Se, and the Earth Kingdom Army is obviously tied closely to the workings of the government.
    Members: A good deal of the Earth Kingdom Citizens are Earthbenders, as might be expected. A common career for a citizen is to enlist in the military, or to take on farming in rural areas. The people of the Earth Kingdom are sturdy and resilient, and their hope and trust in their great nation is incredibly strong.
    Secrets:(Note: The Following is only applicable if playing during the era encompasing the end of the war, before the fall of Ba Sing Se) Once you reach an affiliation score of 30 or more, it becomes evident that the Earth King is not the true power behind the throne of Ba Sing Se. The Secretariat Long Feng, and the Dai Li are the true powers in control of the Earth Kingdom, and the Earth King knows nothing of the War with the Fire Nation. Long Feng works hard to keep it this way, and those who talk too much as quickly silenced.
    Type: Government
    Scale:14 (Continent Wide Kingdom)
    Affiliation Score Criteria: Performing tasks for or being associated with various nobles or royalty is the best way to ascend the ladder of rank in the Earth Kingdom, although a sparkling military record has also proven to help.

Criterion/Affiliation Score Mod:
    Spoiler
    Show
    • Character level +1/2 PC's Level
    • 10 or more ranks in Earthbending +2
    • Has Earthbending Study feat +2
    • Is of Noble origin +2
    • Family Member is part of Nobility +2
    • Reccomendation by member with >=21 affiliation score +2
    • Performs mission for Earth Kingdom/EK Army successfully +1/mission
    • Known to associate with Fire Nation -10
    • Known to participate in Anti-earth kingdom ventures -10

Titles, Benefits and Duties: As your affiliation score increases, you become more and more associated with the nobility and rulers of the Earth Kingdom. Eventually you may even become a trusted advisor to the Earth King.

Affiliation Score/Title: Benefits and Duties.
    Spoiler
    Show
    • 3 or Lower: No Affiliation
    • 4-11: You gain +4 circumstance bonus to any Gather Information or Knowledge(Royalty and Nobility) check within the bounds of an Earth Kingdom city and possess traveling papers to any region in the Earth Kingdom.
    • 11-20: Minor Noble: You are now among the nobles of the Kingdom, and are given documentation to that effect. At any Earth Kingdom city, you may procure a small flat, large enough to accomodate four people comfortably.
    • 21-30: Lord or Lady: You have ascended to a more lofty status than before. You may claim audience with any King, Governor or similar official within 1d6 days once per month. You are accompanied at your request by an Honor guard of four 6th level earthbenders and one 8th level earthbender. In addition, you may procure a larger flat, generally large enough to house six people. The bonus to Gather Information and Knowledge(R&N) increases to +6
    • 30 or more: Regent Advisor: You are within the inner circle of Earth Kingdom nobility. You recieve a Manor residence within either Omashu or Ba Sing Se, created to your specifications (within DM approval), and may arrange a meeting with any member of the Earth Kingdom Army, Dai Li, or Earth Kingdom nobility within 1d4 days, excepting travel time, once a month. Every month that you use this privilege, you must make a DC 15 Diplomacy check or lower your affiliation score by 5 as your superiors and colleagues question your policy. The bonus to Gather Info and Knowledge(R&N) increases to +8

Executive Privileges: Law, Mint, War
    Special Note: I would Rule that a character can be a member of both the Earth Kingdom and the Earth Kingdom Army without incurring the normal -10 affiliation score penalty(or perhaps only incurring a -5 penalty), and the rewards and whatnot have been created with this in mind

---
    So? What do you think? I need to writeup the fluff on the Background and whatnot, but the crunch is all there. Too overpowered? I don't know.Gimme some thoughts, please.
    Last edited by String; 2008-07-23 at 08:37 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70

I like it! The symbol is a bit off, though. It should be a a dark green square on a light green circle on a dark green background.

Also, the privileges granted by higher affiliation scores seem a bit...weak on the side of the earth kingdom. I would expect that an earth kingdom noble could request the services of a few low-level earthbenders easily enough, or else some body guards or exclusive access to trolley services. I'm just throwing out ideas at this point (I've never made an affiliation before), but I think that it would make it more exciting to be a noble with practical benefits like that.
    Water, Earth, Fire, and Air: Benders of the Avatar world
    Monks and Rangers for a non-magical world
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL View Post
    Edition Wars and Nerd Rage destroyed Rome. Ceasar died because he was a crappy DM.
    Avatar By the amazing Mephibosheth

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

I put together some images you could use for the affiliations. They're a bit big for left alignment, but I think they'll look good if you center align them.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #72

I like the images and the affiliation write-up for the Earth Kingdom. I've been thinking about buckling down and doing something like this for a while now, but haven't gotten around to it.

Here's what I think should happen with our "World of the Avatar" section:
    • General descriptions of various nations, organizations and other factions. Affiliation stats could/should be included, but there should also be information useful for gamers who don't have the PHBII or don't use affiliation rules.
    • Write-ups for a few villages/cities/other important locations. These might be difficult, given the changes over time in the setting, but don't really need to be too detailed. Only one or two for every nation would be necessary.
    • General descriptions for international relations in the Avatar world, including notes on relations between various groups and how organizations like the White Lotus Society fit into everything.
    • Descriptions of the Spirit World (if we ever get enough information about it) and how the spirits interact with the physical world.

I'm sure there are things I'm missing, but this is at least a start. I'll try to find some time to do a few write-ups, but others are welcome to contribute as well.

Mephibosheth
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #73

Quote Originally Posted by Titles:Benefits and Duties
    21-30: Lord or Lady: You have ascended to a more lofty status than before. You may claim audience with any King, Governor or similar official within 1d6 days once per month. You are accompanied at your request by an Honor guard of four 6th level earthbenders and one 8th level earthbender. In addition, you may procure a larger flat, generally large enough to house six people. The bonus to Gather Information and Knowledge(R&N) increases to +6
    The Change is in bold.

In regards to the request for more fluff, may I ask for some input on ...(I suppose) Era's of play? I ask largely because I notice that both of the current playtesting games do not take place in the one or so years Avatar Aang is ending the war. I don't know how many eras there are, or how we should devide them, but it seems as though it would be a usefull piece of fluff.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Rough draft of Ages of Play:

Golden Age: Before Sozin's invasion 100 years before the series, the four nations (according to the opening) lived in harmony. Everyone is hanging out in their respective locations, and the Avatar generally handles any world-threatening events. Terminates with Sozin's Invasion. A generally blank-slate era.

Age of Fire: After Sozin's invasion, the fire nation has cemented itself as a powerful force in the world. The Air Nomads have been wiped out, the Southern Waterbenders are disappearing, the Earth Kingdom is weathering repeated assaults from smaller fire nation invasions, and the Avatar (Aang) has disappeared. Terminates roughly 100 years after Sozin's Invasion, once Aang is discovered and word of his presence spreads.

Age of Hope: Timeframe during which the series takes place. Rebel groups are forming in the Earth and Water nations, fire nation armies are stepping up their assaults (and sometimes being repelled), and word of Aang's attacks on the fire nation have spread hope to the people of the world again. Terminates with the return of Sozin's Comet and the defeat of Ozai.

New Age: The world must be rebuilt. After the fire nation ravaged most of the world, benders across the world find a new sense of brotherhood and help to rebuild to the lives they once had. The fire nation is now led by Zuko (who might be opposed by leftover loyalists), and Aang occasionally pitches in with larger projects. No definite termination.

New Golden Age: The world has been rebuilt. The Gaang (and most people they knew) are dead. The Air Nomads may (or may not) have been reinstated somehow. The Earth Kingdom (and the wall of Ba Sing Se) has been rebuilt. The Water Tribes have returned to their ways of fishing, or have become traveling healers. The Fire Nation is the main source of technology in the world. Avatars come and go. A generally blank-slate era.

15. - Top - End - #75

I like those. I'm a little leery of making the show's duration an Era all to itself, but thats only a small issue.

EDIT: I'd like some feedback on that Racial/Social question about the Affiliations. It affects the bonuses conferred from Criteria, among a few other things. Also, Have we seen Non-Earthbenders in the earth military? or any non-bender in a military?
    Last edited by String; 2008-07-23 at 07:08 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The faction/afillitation is interesting, but is there a way for inate abillities so people in the four nations so characters can have something that makes them different between each nation? Specificly this would encourage non-bender (Saka!) types and make them more interesting and encourage non-benders since I'd imagine there'd be a tendency to pick a bender currently.

17. - Top - End - #77

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by String View Post
    I like those. I'm a little leery of making the show's duration an Era all to itself, but thats only a small issue.

EDIT: I'd like some feedback on that Racial/Social question about the Affiliations. It affects the bonuses conferred from Criteria, among a few other things. Also, Have we seen Non-Earthbenders in the earth military? or any non-bender in a military?
    Well the rebel groups did form before Aang defrosted, just look at Hakoda, so its not just the show's duration

I like piezzzzz
    Haley likes pirates,
    Why don't you?

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

blah blah blah rough draft blah blah blah bound to be errors blah blah blah fix it in post.

That said, I was trying to seperate the timeline into sections that we can infer (with near certainty) exist(ed) and have significant campaing-affecting differences. I had the series as its own era because that's where the majority of canon is- so a lot of its events are more defined than other time periods.

19. - Top - End - #79

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AlterForm View Post
    blah blah blah rough draft blah blah blah bound to be errors blah blah blah fix it in post.

That said, I was trying to seperate the timeline into sections that we can infer (with near certainty) exist(ed) and have significant campaing-affecting differences. I had the series as its own era because that's where the majority of canon is- so a lot of its events are more defined than other time periods.
    Yes thats a good reason too

I like piezzzzz
    Haley likes pirates,
    Why don't you?

20. - Top - End - #80

Cool Cool.

Okay, heres the Earth Kingdom Army, and just to see how it looks, I'm gonna try and incorporate Alterforms Era's Of Play
    The Earth Kingdom Army
    Spoiler
    Show
    Symbol: The Royal Symbol
    Background, Goals and Dreams:
    Enemies and Allies: During the Golden Age, The Earth Kingdom Army is widely unused until Chin the Conqueror's widespread attack, but retains good relations with the crown and the other three nations. After Chin's defeat at the hands of Avatar Kyoshi, The Earth Kingdom Army has a cordial, if decidedly terse relationshipwith the Dai Li. During the Ages of Fire the Earth Kingdom Army is at bitter war with the Fire Nation, and the relation with the Dai Li is even more strained. Near the Middle of the Age of Hope, it is spread almost hopelessly thin. In The New Golden Age, The Earth Kingdom army has been greatly reduced and repurposed to restoration, although pockets of violence are not unheard of.
    Members: Almost all of the Earth Kingdom Soldiers are Earthbenders, as might be expected. Earth Kingdom Soldiers are a hardy folk that rarely surrender in combat, holding the line against any threat.
    Type: Fighting Company
    Scale:12 (Standing Army)
    Affiliation Score Criteria: Performing missions and duties for the Military and exemplary service are the main ways of advancing yourself, although exceptional skills are also rewarded.

Spoiler
    Show
    • 10 or more ranks in Earthbending +2
    • Is an Earthbender +1
    • Citizen of the Earth Kingdom +1
    • Serves 5 years in Earth Kingdom Army +2
    • Base Attack Bonus +5 +1
    • Base Attack Bonus +10 +1
    • Performs mission for Earth Kingdom/EK Army successfully +1/mission
    • Known to associate with Earth Army's enemies -10
    • Known to participate in Anti-earth kingdom ventures -10
    • Is not citizen of the Earth Kingdom -3
    • Razes Stronghold of Earth Kingdom Army's enemy +4

Titles, Benefits and Duties: As your affiliation score increases, you rise through the ranks of the Army, eventually gaining a spot on the War Council, which decides Military Policy.
    Spoiler
    Show
    • 4-9: Kingdom Soldier: You are counted amonst the rank-and-file soldiers, and may be called upon to serve in time of war. In return, you gain a +3 bonus on Earthbending Checks when working with other Earth Kingdom soldiers or officers. If you lack ranks in Earthbending, then you do not gain this benefit.
    • 10-15: Earth Lieutenant:You have been promoted to the rank of Lieutenant, with all the privileges and duties that accompany that. You may command a small personal squad of five 1st level Earthbenders and one 3rd level Earthbender with a DC 15 Diplomacy check each week you use them.Failure causes your affiliation score to be lowered by 2 as superiors and colleagues question your methods. (You may, with DM permission, create this squad to your specifications within the perameters given)
    • 16-24: Earth Captain: You have been promoted to a Captain with all the privileges and duties that accompany them. You may claim audience Earth Kingdom Army official or Earth Kingdom noble within 1d6 days once per month. You gain 150 gp per month as a salary, and may be called to battle during war.
    • 25-35: Major-General: You have risen higher in the ranks, becoming a Major General. Your personal command travels up the ranks with you becoming five 4th level Earthbenders and one 6th level Earthbender that you may command with a DC 15 Diplomacy check each week you use them, with failure causing a 2 point affiliation score loss. You recieve a Manor residence within any one Earth Kingdom city created to your specifications (within DM approval).
    • 36 or more:General: You are a member of the Earth Kingdom War Council which decides military policy, and may be called upon to attend meetings or execute policies. You may arrange a meeting with any member of the Earth Kingdom Army, or Earth Kingdom nobility within 1d4 days, excepting travel time, once a month. Every month that you use this privilege, you must make a DC 15 Diplomacy check or lower your affiliation score by 5 as your superiors and colleagues question your policy. Your personal command becomes five 5th level Earthbenders and one 7th level Earthbender. The Diplomacy DC is 15, the penalty for failure 2 affiliation score point. Your salary increases to 200/month

Executive Privileges: War, Crusade, Fortify
    Special Note: I would Rule that a character can be a member of both the Earth Kingdom and the Earth Kingdom Army without incurring the normal -10 affiliation score penalty(or perhaps only incurring a -5 penalty), and the rewards and whatnot have been created with this in mind

Okay, Now I also feel that this might be a tad overpowered. I also felt that way about the Earth Kingdom one, however, so I may not know what the hell I'm talking about. Next is either the Fire Nation and it's Navy, or the Kyoshi warriors or Dai Li. Stay tuned or make a preference known.
    Last edited by String; 2008-07-26 at 11:10 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81

Ooh, very nice. I approve, though my instincts say that there should be more intermediate ranks. Is the four-some levels of affiliation standardized? Also, a +8 for razing an enemy stronghold is a whole lot. All of sudden, the 50-some earthbending soldiers in a platoon are captains. There wouldn't be many privates left in the army after the first month of a war.

Ooh! Make the Dai Li next, please! I'm kind of interested in how you would do it, and I kind of want to have the whole earth kingdom statted up. I'm also interested in how you can pull off the Order of the White Lotus, what with the little information we have.

Anyway, is there any way we can help you make these?
    Last edited by Eighth_Seraph; 2008-07-23 at 10:30 PM.
    Water, Earth, Fire, and Air: Benders of the Avatar world
    Monks and Rangers for a non-magical world
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL View Post
    Edition Wars and Nerd Rage destroyed Rome. Ceasar died because he was a crappy DM.
    Avatar By the amazing Mephibosheth

22. - Top - End - #82

Dai Li and Kyoshi Warriors are up next then! They will both be much smaller scales and accordingly lesser benefits will be gained, as a heads up.

On the White Lotus, I can only try to use as much of the canon as possible before extrapolating.

As for help...Um, as you may have seen, the "Backgrounds, Dreams Goals" sections are blank. If anyone wants to take a crack at large chunks of fluff for the Earth Kingdom and it's army, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, just critique what you see if you want, that helps.

EDIT: Ah. I see your point. The I'll decrease the bonus to perhaps a +4? It does seem a major help. Also, the standard is 4 or 5. I can add another rank in there, and shuffle the abilities around.
    Last edited by String; 2008-07-23 at 10:37 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83

• 4-9: Kingdom Soldier: You are counted amonst the rank-and-file soldiers, and may be called upon to serve in time of war. In return, you gain a +3 bonus on Earthbending Checks when working with other Earth Kingdom soldiers or officers. If you lack ranks in Earthbending, then you do not gain this benefit.
    • 10-15:Earth Lieutenant:You have been promoted to the rank of Lieutenant, with all the privileges and duties that accompany that. You may command a small personal squad of five 1st level Earthbenders and one 3rd level Earthbender with a DC 15 Diplomacy check each week you use them.Failure causes your affiliation score to be lowered by 2 as superiors and colleagues question your methods. (You may, with DM permission, create this squad to your specifications within the perameters given)
    • 16-24: Earth Captain: You have been promoted to a Captain with all the privileges and duties that accompany them. You may claim audience Earth Kingdom Army official or Earth Kingdom noble within 1d6 days once per month. You gain 150 gp per month as a salary, and may be called to battle during war.
    • 25-35: Major-General: You have risen higher in the ranks, becoming a Major General. Your personal command travels up the ranks with you becoming five 4th level Earthbenders and one 6th level Earthbender that you may command with a DC 15 Diplomacy check each week you use them, with failure causing a 2 point affiliation score loss. You recieve a Manor residence within any one Earth Kingdom city created to your specifications (within DM approval).
    • 36 or more:General: You are a member of the Earth Kingdom War Council which decides military policy, and may be called upon to attend meetings or execute policies. You may arrange a meeting with any member of the Earth Kingdom Army, or Earth Kingdom nobility within 1d4 days, excepting travel time, once a month. Every month that you use this privilege, you must make a DC 15 Diplomacy check or lower your affiliation score by 5 as your superiors and colleagues question your policy. Your personal command becomes five 5th level Earthbenders and one 7th level Earthbender. The Diplomacy DC is 15, the penalty for failure 2 affiliation score point. Your salary increases to 200/month
    Changes and moved things are in SANDYBROWN. Brief overview:

I adjusted the affiliation score windows.

I added Earth Lieutenant in between soldier and captain, and moved the first instance of personal command to there.

I moved the bit about gaining audiences from major general to captain

I moved the Manor residence title to Major general from General.

I raised the Affiliation score loss for diplomacy failure to 2 points in order to leave some room for a less charismatic character to ascend the ranks slower.

I changed the bonus for razing to +4.

The way I have it arranged, you gain 1 privelige for SOldier and Lieutenant, 2 for Captain and Major-Gen, and 3 for General. I may need to add "duties to it, such as assassination attempts or mutinies. Thoughts?
    Last edited by String; 2008-07-23 at 11:13 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84

Okay, after months of ignoring this threads completely (to avoid spoilers), I'm ready to throw my hat in the creative process whenever I can spare the time.

Now, to catch up on everything you've already made...
    Paragon Badger (14 HP)
    Str 23, Dex 32, Con 30, Int 17, Wis 27, Cha 19
    AC: 33, Claw: +29 Melee (1d2+19)
    Body by Jake Army. Avatar by Kyace.

25. - Top - End - #85

Alright, my attempt at the Dai Li affiliation. I was unsure how to go about certain parts ofthis affiliation, but I'll go into detail at the end. here we go.

The Dai Li
    Spoiler
    Show
    Motto (more or less): There is no war in Ba Sing Se.
    Enemies and Allies: The Dai Li's express purpose is to maintain peace and stability in the Earth Capital, regardless of any other uses they may be put to. As such, any threat to the prosperity or citizens of Ba Sing Se is of utmost concern to the Dai Li Agents. They operate completely separate from the Army, and answer directly to the highest authority in Ba Sing Se.
    Members: Only powerful Earthbenders can actually become agents. Anyone with a history of seditious intent against the Earth Kingdom (or even worse, Ba Sing Se itself) is never allowed to accrue an affiliation score with the Dai Li.
    Secrets: The Dai Li have never truly been under the control of the Earth King or his advisors, ever since Avatar Kyoshi first created them. The member of the Dai Li with the highest Affiliation score is considered its "head", and has undisputed power over all Dai Li agents, in addition to other benefits and drawbacks of his affiliation score.

Type: Bending Group (this functions as a combination of Cabal and Druid Circle)
    Scale: 8 (County-sized City)
    Criterion/Affiliation score mod:
    Spoiler
    Show
    • Character Level +1/2 level
    • 10 or more ranks in Earthbending, Move Silently, or Hide +1/skill
    • Have Sneak Attack Class Ability +1
    • Successfully completes Mission for the Dai Li +1/two missions
    • Knows Immobilize seed +1
    • Recomendation from member with Affiliation Score of 21 or higher +2
    • Successfully defends Ba Sing Se from major outside threat +3
    • Serve 10 years in the Dai Li +1
    • Cannot Earthbend -5 and may never have an affiliation score higher than 11
    • Is not a member of the Dai Li prestige class -1 and may never have an affiliation score higher than 15

Titles, Benefits and Duties: As you join the Dai Li, you gain greater power within Ba Sing Se, and access to their spy network, in addition to learning how to better work with your comrades.
    Affiliation Score/ Title: Benefits and Duties:
    Spoiler
    Show
    • Less than 11: No Affiliation
    • 11-15: Initiate: You gain a +8 bonus to Gather Information, Intimidate, Search and Diplomacy checks within Ba Sing Se
    • 16-20: Junior Dai Li Agent: You gain a +2 bonus to Earthbending, Move Silently and Hide Checks while working with fellow Dai Li agents, and recieve a salary of 150gp/month.
    • 21-29: Senior Dai Li Agent: Your bonus to Earthbending, Move Silently and Hide checks increases to +4, and you are given command of a squad of four 7th-level Dai Li Agents (Earthbender 6/Dai Li Agent 1) that you may direct as you wish with DC 20 Diplomacy check each week you use them, with failure causing a 2 point affiliation score loss.
    • 30+: Dai Li Commander: You answer only to the Secretariat or Earth King, and are free from any legal repurcussions within Ba Sing Se. Your salary increases to 200gp/month. You gain the benefits of the Extra Bending Seed feat. If your Affiliation score falls ever falls below 30, you lose access to that seed until your score reaches 30 again. The position of Commander is highly coveted however, and once every month, you must make a DC 30 Gather Information check to uncover an assassination plot. If you fail, you may either play out the encounter against the Dai Li assassin (Earthbender 6/Dai Li Agent 6), or make a DC 15 Fort Save vs. death

Executive Powers: Assassinate, Shadow War, Inquisition

I'm not as happy with this one as I am with the other two. I feel like the command squad may be too powerful, However, I felt that they both sould have levels in the appropriate prestige class, and that requires 7 levels.

The Kyoshi Island Warriors
    Spoiler
    Show

Background, Goals and Dreams: The Kyoshi Warriors are only a viable affiliation from the duration of Avatar Kyoshi onwards (Approximately 100-200 years before the Age of Fire).
    Enemies and Allies: The Kyoshi Island Warriors are a middling group that almost exclusively hail from Kyoshi Island, and as such have few enemies that do not threaten their safety there. In the Age of Hope, they have begun to combat the Fire Nation.
    Members: All members of the Kyoshi Warriors are females, and males can never have an affiliation score higher than 3. Members dress in dark green armored kimonos and wear facepaint reminiscent of Avatar Kyoshi: white face, with red lips and eyeshadow and accentuated eyebrows. Almost all are monks who use the Passive Way style.
    Type: Fighting Company
    Scale:6 (Village or Community)
    Affiliation Score Criteria: Defending Kyoshi Island and it's interests, performing admirably in combat, and advancing in skill are all possible ways to advance yourself.
    Spoiler
    Show
    • Has Behind the Back feat +1
    • Proficiency with Warfan +2
    • Is a Passive Way Monk +2
    • Born on Kyoshi Island +2
    • Performs mission for Kyoshi Warriors successfully +`1/mission up to +6
    • Defends Kyoshi Island or it's villages from an attack +3
    • Base Attack Bonus +5 +2
    • Recommendation from Member with Affiliation score of 21 or more +2

Titles, Benefits and Duties: As your score increases, you are welcomed more fully into the ranks of the Kyoshi Warriors.

Spoiler
    Show
    • 4-10: Hopeful: The Kyoshi Warriors recognize you as a potential warrior and may call upon you to prove your worth on occassion.
    • 11-20: Kyoshi Apprentice: You have joined the ranks of the Kyoshi Island Warriors, and have been trained in their particular style. You recieve a +4 bonus to Tumble and Jump Checks, and if you have levels in the Monk/Martial Artist class, you may add Warfan to your list of style weapons.
    • 21-29: Kyoshi Warrior:Your training has increased, and you have added a new weapon to your repetoire. The bonus to Tumble and Jump checks increases to +6, you gain a +4 bonus to Jump and you may add Katana to your list of monk/martial artist style weapons.
    • 30+: Kyoshi Teacher: You now teach the younger warriors, and your training has reached a peak. The bonus to Tumble and Jump Checks increases to +10, the Jump bonus to +6 and you gain a +4 bonus to climb checks. You have small group of Kyoshi Apprentices (4 Monks(Passive Way) 4)that you are teaching and you may call on to assist you once a week.

Executive Privileges:Crusade, Research, Fortify (see below)

I feel the Kyoshi warriors lack a little OOMPH, so any suggestions are good. I might say that they can wear that kyoshi armor without losing class abilities, but that seems REALLY powerful. Thoughts?

Also:

New Executive power:

Fortify: Warriors train, Benders work their will, and citizens clamor for instruction on how to best defend themselves. Your affiliation knows that the best offense is a good defense. When your affiliation uses the Fortify power, make a Violence check versus DC 10. For two points your result exceeds the DC, you get a +1 bonus to any Violence or Espionage checks made defensively in the month you use this power.This bonus ONLY applies any time in the month that you use this power that another affiliation uses an executive power or does something that requires you to make an opposed Violence or Espionage check, not one instigated by you.
    Fighting Companies, Bending Groups, Governments, and Tribes may Fortify themselves.

EDIT: Noticed that it was literally impossible to reach the highest echelons of the Dai Li without being epic.Fixed. Going back through the others to see if I made similar mistakes.
    Last edited by String; 2008-07-27 at 10:13 PM.
    -Currently Playing-
    Spoiler
    Show
    Roan Arathane, Level 4 Human Resourceful Warlord and
    Devis, Level 4 Half-elf Bard in Dame Morbid's Tournament
    Margan Flintfist, Level 1 Dwarven Fighter in Therinn Adventures

-Old Homebrew Projects-
    Spoiler
    Show
    Project Leader: Deity's Order (Currently Stalled)
    Contributer: Avatar d20 (Currently Struggling Back from Dead)
    Contributer: Lords of Creation

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I tried searching online and in DnD 3.5 PHBs, but I couldn't find anything explaining exactly what affiliations are and how they work. Help?

27. - Top - End - #87

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by theonesin View Post
    I tried searching online and in DnD 3.5 PHBs, but I couldn't find anything explaining exactly what affiliations are and how they work. Help?
    I am mildly sure they aren't in any of those places because they are being made for this game, other then that, I am not sure, its a bit confusing to me -_-'

I like piezzzzz
    Haley likes pirates,
    Why don't you?

28. - Top - End - #88

Quote Originally Posted by felinoel
    Quote Originally Posted by theonesin
    I am mildly sure they aren't in any of those places because they are being made for this game, other then that, I am not sure, its a bit confusing to me -_-'
    Aw, now don't go confusing the poor boy. (just messing)

Affiliations were introduced and are explained in full in the Players Handbook 2.
    I'm not sure if other supplements have used them since then.
    -Currently Playing-
    Spoiler
    Show
    Roan Arathane, Level 4 Human Resourceful Warlord and
    Devis, Level 4 Half-elf Bard in Dame Morbid's Tournament
    Margan Flintfist, Level 1 Dwarven Fighter in Therinn Adventures

-Old Homebrew Projects-
    Spoiler
    Show
    Project Leader: Deity's Order (Currently Stalled)
    Contributer: Avatar d20 (Currently Struggling Back from Dead)
    Contributer: Lords of Creation

29. - Top - End - #89
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Um, which edition is that?

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

3.5, Player's Handbook 2. I don't think the fourth-edition Player's Handbook 2 has been published yet.

The whole Avatar project uses 3.5.