New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Hey, everybody else has started a let's play and abandoned it. Lets Play X-Com!

Quote Originally Posted by Suzuro View Post
    Alrights! So, a little off topic but, I finally installed X-Com and started playing it aaaaaaaand.....I'm terrible....like...rocks fall, everybody dies, terrible. Any advice? I can't seem to get through a ground assault with at least half of my troops dying...

-Suzuro
    -- Buy a tank. Use it to scout. I recommend an HWP rocket, which hits much harder than the standard HWP. As soon as you can, manufacture first a laser tank (hits hard, infinite ammo), then a plasma hover tank (great for scouting -- fast, heavily armored, flies, plasma cannon packs a mean punch).

-- upgrade to personal armor as soon as you can, then laser rifles.
    That's the reverse of what others here recommend, but rifles work just fine on sectoids while personal armor protects well.

-- use massed fire and overwatch. Have one guy, say, rattle a door knob.
    Have three guys standing back facing the door who haven't used any time units. If there's an unfriendly on the other side, get your guy out of there and have the others blast the bad guy. Then have the guy who just moved anchor the new position while your friends move up.

-- get your reactions score up, and make sure your troops have enough time units left to react.

-- use proximity grenades to booby trap spots where aliens are likely to walk.

-- Use rockets or cannons armed with incendiary munitions on zombies. Incendiary weapons ensure a new Chryssie doesn't come bursting out -- the zombie just dies.

-- use rockets or cannons on cyber discs.

-- As soon as you can, capture a sectoid leader on a terror mission. You can find out which one is which by using a mind probe. Once you do, take it *alive* and get back to base. Capturing that leader is worth the lives of every man (but the one to get back to base) and every civilian. Abort the mission if necessary, but get the leader out!

-- research, research, research sectoid leader and psionics as soon as you can. Then crank up your psionic capabilities by constant practice.

-- once you can reliably mind control enemy troops, the game becomes easy. Mind control them, and use *them* as your scouts, knocking on doors and taking all the risks. Then, once all the aliens are dead except your mind slaves, use a stun rod to put them to beddy bye.

-- the opposite is true: When attacking ethereals under any circumstance or sectoids on a terror mission, UFO larger than a large scout, or a base, don't bring along psionically weak soldiers. You can use the psionic lab to identify the psionic strength of soldiers, and don't bring one along on this mission with a PSI of less than 70. You won't have a chance to do that on the initial terror raid to grab the sectoid leader and research psionics in the first place -- so be careful. If they succeed in mind controlling a unit, as soon as you get control back , make him drop all his weapons and put him someplace safe.

-- if you mind control aliens, you can access their inventory screen by clicking on one of your own soldiers, bringing up the inventory screen, then pressing the ">" button until the alien is visible. Have it drop all it's weapons -- it won't pick them up again ever, so unless it has a melee attack (Chryssies, reapers, celatids, and silicoids), it's helpless. Use it as a scout, as target practice, or take him prisoner.

-- grenades are your friend. Alien grenades even more so. Not only are they easier to hit with, they go over obstacles, through windows, and have an area effect. They also knock big, big holes in walls and buildings. Just don't use them close to equipment you want to salvage.

-- afraid an alien is on the other side of a wooden wall? Don't walk through the door -- go through the wall! Use a laser rifle to make a hole in the wall, then toss a grenade through.

-- Bring along the right tool for the right job. Facing off with a sectoid terror raid? Bring along something with a lot of punch to tackle the cyberdiscs. Taking on Mutons? Bring along heavy plasma and psionics. Find out the strengths and weaknesses of the different alien troops, and bring along the right tools.

-- when facing a battleship or a base, prioritize blaster launcher armed enemies above all others.

-- if attacking a UFO, put at least two soldiers in a position where they can shoot anything coming through the hatch. Putting a proximity grenade in front of the hatch works, too.

-- When attacking a UFO, I recommend the following strategy :
    -- Getting out of the skyranger is the hardest part. Stay inside for a few turns and hope the bad guys will walk in front of your exit so you can shoot them. Once things are relatively clear, break out quickly and cover as many axes of fire as possible.
    -- clear the outside systematically. As soon as you can, cover the UFO's hatch. While that is done, use tanks to scout open terrain, then clear the buildings one at a time. Always try to make it so you're only ever having to fight in one direction at a time. Don't let them hit you from the sides or the back! If you're worried about it, have one team guarding your back, just sitting there behind cover, while your other team goes 'forward'.
    -- after everybody outside is clear, it's time to go into the UFO itself. It may help to drop a smoke bomb right in front of the hatch. Then send the first rookie charging in. If there's a guy inside, your rookie will die. Avenge him, then get into the UFO. Clear it just like a building, room by room. Don't use grenades in the engine room next to the power source -- Elerium is valuable!
    -- Whenever possible, wait until UFOs land and catch them on the ground intact, rather than shooting them down. You'll recover elerium that way, the most precious resource in the game. But don't let a UFO get away!
    -- Unless a terror raid is being launched by sectoids, consider ignoring terror raids altogether. Yes, your sponsors will be unhappy with you. It's still better than getting your troops completely massacred. You will have to respond to a sectoid terror raid to capture a sectoid leader and learn psionics. Once that is done, you can ignore terror raids if you absolutely must.

Fundamentally, however, the answer to the ground game is mutual support, overwatch, and teamwork. If your teammates cover each other, and you use the rookies to do the scouting when an alien or a tank isn't available, you can build up a tough core of veterans who can beat anything. If you burn all your TUs on every turn, you'll lose a lot of troops.

Good luck!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

2. - Top - End - #812
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Hey, everybody else has started a let's play and abandoned it. Lets Play X-Com!

Quote Originally Posted by Suzuro View Post
    Alrights! So, a little off topic but, I finally installed X-Com and started playing it aaaaaaaand.....I'm terrible....like...rocks fall, everybody dies, terrible. Any advice? I can't seem to get through a ground assault with at least half of my troops dying...

-Suzuro
    More gathered X-Com experience:
    Explosives are your friends. If in doubt, blow it up. Buy enough grenades, demolition charges (load up whoever has the combination of highest strength and worst shooting accuracy- demo charges are very heavy and will kill this troop's TUs unless he is very strong) and missiles/explosive autocannon rounds to level any normal structure that looks at you wrong. I favor rockets.

Terrain can be shot out of your way. The starter rifles can take out vegetation and fences pretty quickly and will clear normal construction with enough shooting and some luck on damage rolls. Laser rifles will clear any human construction. Heavy plasma can cut through anything up to some UFO interior walls. It takes a blaster bomb to breach UFO hulls, and by the time you can do that you should be well on your way to winning. Shoot down anything that is blocking your lines of sight or just preventing you from going where you want; it's much faster to burn some TUs clearing a pathway than to walk around it. If you have a very large section you want to clear, like a warehouse wall in a terror mission, refer back to paragraph 1.

Take at least one HWP with you. Two is possible, but I prefer to have that space for more soldiers. HWPs have massive TUs to scout with, heavy firepower, are the only things that have any chance of surviving being hit in the early game, and are expendable; they don't count for morale among the rest of the team.

Don't sweat capturing aliens too much; psionics and the hyperwave decoder are important (and completely gamebreaking for psionics) but taking down aliens with stunsticks and then devoting time and money to researching them and building the new equipment is a distraction you probably can't afford while getting yourself oriented in the game. You can pick up as many aliens as you want when you have a Small Launcher around easily.
    -- upgrade to personal armor as soon as you can, then laser rifles.
    That's the reverse of what others here recommend, but rifles work just fine on sectoids while personal armor protects well.
    Good reasons the traditional order is traditional:
    Laser weapons are 'native' technology. You can begin research and potentially have them in production before you ever recover a UFO. They're easy to make, requiring no rare alien resources. They're a funding source once you have enough for your own use. They're like a million times better than the normal rifles (just being freed from the consideration of packing extra ammo clips is worth it, and a good reason to keep some laser rifles around even after you've managed to loot a good supply of heavy plasma.) In comparison, personal armor requires you to capture some Alien Alloy before you can begin on it, it requires more alien alloy to make, and in the face of plasma/heavy plasma attacks it's really not notably better than no armor at all.
    Last edited by tyckspoon; 2009-07-17 at 11:31 PM.

3. - Top - End - #813
    Ettin in the Playground

Don't be in a hurry to replace your Interceptors. Avalanche Launchers and Plasma Cannons will outrange everything other than a Battleship, so an Interceptor can take down literally any of the other UFOs simply by packing those weapons and using "cautious attack"

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    -- Unless a terror raid is being launched by sectoids, consider ignoring terror raids altogether. Yes, your sponsors will be unhappy with you. It's still better than getting your troops completely massacred. You will have to respond to a sectoid terror raid to capture a sectoid leader and learn psionics. Once that is done, you can ignore terror raids if you absolutely must.
    No no no no NO. Showing up and aborting immediately has the same effect of not getting your troops killed, but loses a LOT less points than ignoring it altogether. So ALWAYS at least pretend to show up, even if you don't do any actual fighting.
    Last edited by Artanis; 2009-07-17 at 11:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

4. - Top - End - #814
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post

No no no no NO. Showing up and aborting immediately has the same effect of not getting your troops killed, but loses a LOT less points than ignoring it altogether. So ALWAYS at least pretend to show up, even if you don't do any actual fighting.
    Better yet, sometimes (very rarely) a Terror site has no civvies, which means no points lost.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

5. - Top - End - #815
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Why are we ignoring Terror missions again. I mean, what's the point o playing the game if you're not going to play it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

6. - Top - End - #816
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Why are we ignoring Terror missions again. I mean, what's the point o playing the game if you're not going to play it.
    You take a night Snakeman terror mission pre jetpacks and plasma.

Then we talk.

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

7. - Top - End - #817
    Titan in the Playground

Again, if you don't think you can take a Terror mission you touch down and immediately dust off. It'll hurt your rating, but a couple of good standard UFO recoveries can fix that, and it takes the Terror attack off the map. Ignoring it completely until the aliens finish the mission is practically guaranteed to result in the target country pulling their funding completely.

Incidentally, I've done a night-time Snakemen terror mission with just laser rifles and high explosives (although Terror missions usually stick around long enough that you can wait for it to be day before you actually touch down. Make the Skyranger park near it for half the night if you have to, they carry a lot of fuel.) Good squad discipline will get you through it just the same as anything else. I'd say it's less dangerous than taking on a Sectoid terror mission when you don't yet know who is a psionic liability (more frightening, but less dangerous.)
    Last edited by tyckspoon; 2009-07-18 at 12:31 AM.

8. - Top - End - #818
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Again, if you don't think you can take a Terror mission you touch down and immediately dust off. It'll hurt your rating, but a couple of good standard UFO recoveries can fix that, and it takes the Terror attack off the map. Ignoring it completely until the aliens finish the mission is practically guaranteed to result in the target country pulling their funding completely.

Incidentally, I've done a night-time Snakemen terror mission with just laser rifles and high explosives (although Terror missions usually stick around long enough that you can wait for it to be day before you actually touch down. Make the Skyranger park near it for half the night if you have to, they carry a lot of fuel.) Good squad discipline will get you through it just the same as anything else. I'd say it's less dangerous than taking on a Sectoid terror mission when you don't yet know who is a psionic liability (more frightening, but less dangerous.)
    I've managed to take one with standard rifles and pistols. I had one guy left who "sniped" the last Chryssalid from a second floor windows with way too many grenades.

Yes the RNG hated me that game, what makes you ask?

9. - Top - End - #819
    Titan in the Playground

Eesh. Imagine an Etheral terror mission without lasers or further weapons.

And with bad luck with psi scores.

And I meant land and ditch, not ignore. Not that I do it (much), but I do know which method to use.
    Last edited by chiasaur11; 2009-07-18 at 12:42 AM.

10. - Top - End - #820
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ask and the playground shall deliver.

you guys are amazing, I've been playing this with a lot of your advice, so now I've got a couple suits of power armor (^^), and am, hopefully, going to get psionics soon.

I just still have one dilemna I'm going through: Promotions. I want to get soldiers to get better and promote yadda yadda, but whenever I try and use my sergeants on the battlefield..they end up dying. Any last advice before I do a suicide charge?

-Suzuro
    Teach me, Please
    I need the abilities to live
    Silly me, I tried to measure it by what I could give

"There are nights when the wolves are silent, And only the moon howls...."
    -George Carlin

11. - Top - End - #821
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    -- Buy a tank. Use it to scout. I recommend an HWP rocket, which hits much harder than the standard HWP. As soon as you can, manufacture first a laser tank (hits hard, infinite ammo),
    Why? First, the rocket tank - it has far fewer shots than the standard tank, and you're supposed to use HWPs to scout and soak up enemy fire and not to kill aliens anyway. They don't get experience so it's a waste.
    Laser tank - it's a trap! It requires you to research Heavy Laser (useless except for lategame sectopod fights) and Laser Cannon (useless except for selling). The time could be spent researching Personal Armor or plasma weapons instead. In general, researching laser tech above Laser Rifle is a bad idea. You can do it if you know what you're doing, or if it's lategame and you need things to battle Sectopods with - but it's definitely not an option you have to pursue as fast as possible.

Other geoscape notes - make sure you have 50 scientists and ~40 engineers. Upgrade it to 100 scientists when you can. Make sure your engineers are always busy. Laser weapons are a decent source of income.
    Take note which soldiers are strong and give them heavy weapons. Others can carry standard issue rifles, and of course grenades.
    Create additional bases. They don't need much, just a radar and maybe a hangar with an interceptor (which also means you need general stores for ammo). They're mostly for UFO detection. Each UFO you detect is a potential mission, and each mission is money and experience for your soldiers (the ones who make out of it alive that is).
    The only reasonable weaponry for earlygame interceptors is x2 avalanche launcher. Avalanche + Stingray will do too, but try to switch to pure Avalanches as soon as possible. Switch Avalanche to plasma when available, Fusion Ball Launchers are mostly a waste (each shot costs elerium, most UFOs evaporate after a shot so you don't get a missin) so they aren't widely used.

Battlescape tactics:
    The most important thing is to make sure your soldiers are never out in the open. Make sure they end turn hidden behind a wall, tree or some other obstacle, or at least kneeling. You can make an exception (and probably should, for time saving measures) when they have to go through safe terrain - like when you're sure all aliens outside are dead and just have to assault the UFO. Use your tank or disposable soldiers for scouting, and make sure that each scout is covered so that when they discover an alien, someone else can shoot it dead before it has a chance to react.
    Grenades are a newbie's best friend. Most of your soldiers are great throwers, and the accuracy doesn't have to be pinpoint anyway, unlike with guns. A blast is 95% sure to kill an alien, and it can destroy terrain that gets in the way too.
    Assaulting UFOs or buildings should be done swiftly and efficiently - soldiers move in, clear a room, end the turn standing in a position that makes it impossible to hit or even notice by aliens entering from other rooms (no line of sight), repeat until the place is clear. Watch out for explosives and stray shots - most UFO components are easy to destroy, and you want them to be safe for post-mission retrieval.

Overall, this game's tactics are very realistic. Blindly charging at the enemy will only get you killed.

12. - Top - End - #822
    Troll in the Playground

Another note: Once you get Flying suits, its good to have the person in it scout from the top of a UFO in it if the UFO isn't in a vulnerable position. It is very difficult to locate and aim at things on the roof if you don't know where they are, and the enemy will almost never think of looking up there (or going there on their own).

Of course, if you have psi amps, just psi amp some people to do it for you, but sometimes when I play I don't run into Psionic aliens until after I have Blaster Launchers.

13. - Top - End - #823
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Cubey View Post
    Why? First, the rocket tank - it has far fewer shots than the standard tank, and you're supposed to use HWPs to scout and soak up enemy fire and not to kill aliens anyway. They don't get experience so it's a waste.
    I don't believe in carrying a useless weapon to a fight. Yes, you only get 8 shots with a rocket HWP versus 30 with a cannon HWP, but those 8 shots will hit *hard* and have area effect damage. 30 cannon shots is 30 ineffective shots that miss often and do no damage.

I find it especially useful on something like a terror mission. I give the soldiers rifles and use them to kill sectoids and save the rockets for killing the big monsters like reapers or cyberdiscs.

That one rocket is also useful for demolishing buildings. Using HWP TUs to knock down a building means my own troops still have theirs.

Besides, which having even *one* extra shot during a turn is sometimes the difference between life and death.

Laser tank - it's a trap! It requires you to research Heavy Laser (useless except for lategame sectopod fights) and Laser Cannon (useless except for selling).
    Heavy laser is utterly useless when carried by a soldier. 26% accurate aimed shot, from a guy who can hit 95% with plasma? Worthless.

But it's not worthless when put on a tank. The tank has the same accuracy with a laser as it does with everything else. And it has 70 TUs.

I like it better than the rocket HWP for the weak point you put your finger on -- it only has 8 shots. By contrast, the laser HWP has effectively infinite ammo. So it combines the punch of the limited ammo rocket HWP with the larger fire capacity of the ineffective cannon HWP. All this, and it doesn't use an ounce of Elerium.

As I said before, my strategy is to give all my troops light weapons such as rifles or laser rifles and mount the heavy artillery on HWPs which don't take penalty from the weight. I've never had a problem with lack of experience because there's plenty of aliens for everyone. And again, the heavy laser *on a tank* or the rocket is also just dandy for building demolition.

Laser cannons are a great source of income, along with motion scanners and medikits. All three have the advantage of high profit margins without neednig Elerium to manufacture.

The time could be spent researching Personal Armor or plasma weapons instead. In general, researching laser tech above Laser Rifle is a bad idea.
    Not an issue. By end game my scientists are busy dissecting corpses because they've run out of useful things to do while I'm grinding my psionic skills just a teensy bit higher and my engineers are cranking out an avenger.

You can do it if you know what you're doing, or if it's lategame and you need things to battle Sectopods with - but it's definitely not an option you have to pursue as fast as possible.
    Agree.

Battlescape tactics:
    The most important thing is to make sure your soldiers are never out in the open. Make sure they end turn hidden behind a wall, tree or some other obstacle, or at least kneeling.
    Actually, I have found that aliens are pretty good at hitting people behind cover. Besides which, one shot from heavy plasma will dust almost any cover anyway.

I've found the most important thing to keeping troopers alive is *opportunity fire*. Make sure you end turn with someone with high reactions and spare TUs pointing at the bad guys. It's the difference between

A) Alien walks on his turn, blasts three times with heavy plasma. The first misses, the second destroys cover, the third kills your guy.

B) Alien walks into view, your guy opportunity fires twice, hitting with heavy plasma on the second hit, alien goes down.

I agree with everything else you say.

BTW, suggestions as to how to train up people's reaction time would be most welcome.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2009-07-18 at 07:44 AM.

14. - Top - End - #824
    Banned

See, the advice was given to an X-Com newbie. This is why I said not to use the rocket launcher tank - a badly aimed shot may as well kill your soldiers or even worse, destroy elerium or other components, and I try to avoid letting HWPs kill anything since they get no experience for it.

The best theoretical way to train reactions is a bit risky - attack an UFO with psionic aliens (read: Ethereals). Kill all but one, whom you mind control and disarm. Then give all of your soldiers laser pistols and make them face each other - the alien will mind control one of them and make him try to shoot his partner to death (unsuccessfuly - lasers have 46 damage, so they deal 0-92 damage per shot, Power Suit's front armor is 100). The partner will respond, thus improving Reactions, and nobody gets hurt.

15. - Top - End - #825
    Bugbear in the Playground

See, the advice was given to an X-Com newbie. This is why I said not to use the rocket launcher tank - a badly aimed shot may as well kill your soldiers or even worse, destroy elerium or other components, and I try to avoid letting HWPs kill anything since they get no experience for it.

The best theoretical way to train reactions is a bit risky - attack an UFO with psionic aliens (read: Ethereals). Kill all but one, whom you mind control and disarm. Then give all of your soldiers laser pistols and make them face each other - the alien will mind control one of them and make him try to shoot his partner to death (unsuccessfuly - lasers have 46 damage, so they deal 0-92 damage per shot, Power Suit's front armor is 100). The partner will respond, thus improving Reactions, and nobody gets hurt.
    ...laser tag with deadly weapons?

16. - Top - End - #826
    Titan in the Playground

It's too much of a headache to try and maneuver HWPs in most UFOs anyway. The indiscriminate splash damage is actually why I recommend the rocket tank for starting out- you can't be certain your starting squad will be able to hit anything at all. But if there's any kind of obstacle near the alien, you don't have to be able to hit the alien; if you hit anything around him for 4-5 squares, you'll probably kill the target (extra fun if he happens to be standing in front of a wall.)

Incidental useful knowledge of how the game works: Hitting an alien with the explosion of a missile launcher is considered a hit for purposes of raising shooting skill. So your big lug with the bad aim who is carrying your rocket launcher will almost certainly become one of the best shooters in your squad (I usually run both a Rocket HWP and a soldier carrying a rocket launcher with 4-6 rockets. I have yet to find anything short of an alien base invasion where that wasn't enough rockets.)

17. - Top - End - #827
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by EleventhHour View Post
    ...laser tag with deadly weapons?
    Yes. They're not so deadly when you're in a power suit though. In fact, the chance of receiving any damage from a front hit is exactly 0%.

@tyckspoon: Yes, basically explosives are a newbie's best friend. But I prefer grenades to rockets - too many times a misfired rocket simply flew off the screen when the target was near the edge of the map. Grenades are more accurate.
    Just make sure not to use proximity grenades unless you're setting up a trap. For some reason, the game gives experience to whomever did not throw, but rather SET OFF a proximity grenade. In other words, the unlucky civilian alien.

18. - Top - End - #828
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm also not too fond of rocket launchers. It doesn't matter how big of a boom you make when you're so weighed down that you're always way the hell behind the battle line and never get a shot in. Instead, I always preferred the two cannons: nothing beats an AC when you want to saturate an area with explosives while unlike a rocket launcher, an HC-user will be fast enough to contribute to the battle.

As for smoke grenades: how the **** are you people using them with any success? Smoke of any sort never seems to do squat to the aliens' vision.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

19. - Top - End - #829
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    As for smoke grenades: how the **** are you people using them with any success? Smoke of any sort never seems to do squat to the aliens' vision.
    They're good for practical jokes and pretending you're a ninja.

Ah, you mean in combat? They're useless, sell them.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #830
    Titan in the Playground

Default Remember kids: If you're not a Private Eye, smoking still looks cool!

From the logs of Pvt. Jimor.

Got a letter. Seems Penguinizer got himself killed working on some kind of conspiracy beat. Never much liked him, but back before we got involved in the current bug hunt, we had an Archer and Spade bit. When a man's partner is killed, he's supposed to do something about it. It doesn't make any difference what you thought of him. He was your partner and you're supposed to do something about it. And it happens we're in the detective business. Well, when one of your organization gets killed, it's-it's bad business to let the killer get away with it, bad all around, bad for every detective everywhere.

I decided to take a look at the evidence. I ruled out most of the staff right away. I'd never heard of the Crazy Jonlan's Gorilla, and it felt an odds on bet that none of the other rookies had, what with the change to a Reaper when it finally reopened after the base attack. That narrowed it down. Someone currently at the Europe base seems unlikely as well. Take to long to get to LA without a conspicuous absence in the Skyranger pen.

Hated to say it, but that made our beloved local authority, one "Headless Ninja" suspect numero uno.

There'd been stories, of course. He and Atranis had entered a UFO, and only one of them made it out, and Ninja gets shuffled over to a new base at first convenience? Not exactly what I'd call an indication of exemplary moral behavior. Then there's the time he and Kane charged the interior of the first UFO I saw, and only one of them left it.

My investigations were interrupted by a call from the man in question. Seemed our pilot got a call about a UFO, and shot it down. It'd be a simple mop up job.

Only that wasn't the case. Some kind of overgrown Gorilla seemed to have survived the crash fine, and he was packing a rod. Ninja and Azure butterfly headed north to check some buildings for more of these things, while Kane, Pie Guy, and me took the outside of the UFO.

Which was oddly undamaged. If it wasn't for the tank (Which a twitchy Azure Butterfly had accidentally nearly destroyed with a misaimed laser round.) we'd have bit it when another of these Muton jokers popped out.

Ninja managed to clear his sector, and we went into the UFO.

Butterfly dropped the last of the Mutons.

Seemed the UFO was a research vessel. Looks like the brain boys at X-COM HQ weren't the only ones churning out the best in tech. These chumps had heavy armor that almost matched Commander Chiasaur's custom job. Still, the UFO was factory standard. I took a swig from my regulation PI flask and wondered why a UFO reported as shot down was in better shape than some factory fresh models.
    Last edited by chiasaur11; 2009-07-18 at 04:15 PM.

21. - Top - End - #831
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yet another successful looting completed by the First-and-Only X-Com troops.
    Last edited by EleventhHour; 2009-07-18 at 02:56 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

All Avatars by Elder Tsofu!

22. - Top - End - #832
    Firbolg in the Playground

Regulation PI flask. Is it from the same company that gave us standard PI fedora (tm) ?
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

23. - Top - End - #833
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    Regulation PI flask. Is it from the same company that gave us standard PI fedora (tm) ?
    Why is this can of ethanol alcohol half empty?

24. - Top - End - #834
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Swot View Post
    Why is this can of ethanol alcohol half empty?
    Because Pvt. Jimor is really hard boiled.

25. - Top - End - #835
    Troll in the Playground

The plot thickens...

Also, I guess there are no new results from the Psi-tests?

26. - Top - End - #836
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    The plot thickens...

Also, I guess there are no new results from the Psi-tests?
    Some.

Nothing much interesting, though. You got an 8.

Well, except one thing. The testing machine short circuited a couple times when trooper Slaanesh went in. Got a 92 when we finally sorted it out.

27. - Top - End - #837
    Ettin in the Playground

Some.

Well, except one thing. The testing machine short circuited a couple times when trooper Slaanesh went in. Got a 92 when we finally sorted it out.
    Well, at least we only had to Psi-test one Chaos God.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

28. - Top - End - #838
    Troll in the Playground

Some.

An 8, huh? Well, I guess that makes me the safest soldier currently getting his paycheck from X-Com.
    Unless the base is attacked again, in which case I'll probably have to be put down preemptively, or worse, be locked up in the storeroom.

29. - Top - End - #839
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    An 8, huh? Well, I guess that makes me the safest soldier currently getting his paycheck from X-Com.
    Safe? Hah, it is to be amused. No, it just means you get to take your chances at getting shot in the face by Snakemen, Floaters, and Mutons instead.

30. - Top - End - #840
    Troll in the Playground

Safe? Hah, it is to be amused. No, it just means you get to take your chances at getting shot in the face by Snakemen, Floaters, and Mutons instead.
    Assuming I ever get a place in any active team, that is.