New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Wolf Warrior (3.5 PrC) PEACH

The Wolf Warrior is a martial attacker who commands an army of wolves.
    Requirements:
    Race: Any humanoid
    BAB: +5
    Skills: Handle Animal 8 ranks
    Feats: Leadership
    Alignment: Any lawful

Skills: (4+Int modifier)
    Class Skills: Listen, Move Silently, Spot, Hide, Climb, Swim, Craft, Diplomacy, Profession, Handle Animal, Intimidate, Survival
    HD: d10

WOLF WARRIOR
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
    +1
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |Wolf Shape 1/day, Wolf Pack

2nd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |Magic Fang +1

3rd|
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |Resist Cold 5

4th|
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |Wolf Shape 2/day, Magic Fang +2

5th|
    +5
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |Dire Wolf Shape

6th|
    +6
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |Magic Fang +3

7th|
    +7
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |Wolf Shape 3/day

8th|
    +8
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +2
    |Magic Fang +4

9th|
    +9
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +3
    |Winter Wolf/Hell Hound Shape

10th|
    +10
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |Wolf Shape 4/day, Magic Fang +5[/table]

Class Abilities:
    Spoiler
    Show

Wolf Shape(Su): A Wolf Warrior can take the form of a wolf the number of times listed per day, as a standard action. His stats as a wolf are his normal stats, with a +2 bonus to Strength, +4 to Dexterity, and +4 to Constitution. He can revert back at will (again a standard action), or automatically after a number of hours equal to his class level. While in wolf shape, he can fully understand and communicate with wolves, dogs, riding dogs, winter wolves, hell hounds, worgs, thrym hounds, wild hunt hounds, nessian warhounds, milivorns, elite milivorns, bearhounds, blink dogs, yeth hounds, nethersight mastiffs, legendary wolves, climbdogs, moon dogs, shadow mastiffs, canoloths, guulvorgs, hounds of the hunt, elven hounds, cavvekans, death dogs, vorrs, deep hounds, dire wolves, and chaos hounds and gets a +4 bonus on Charisma checks with them. He gains the wolf's senses, racial skill bonuses, trip attack, and feats. He is considered to be an Animal, but is not affected by Awaken.
    Wolf Pack(Ex): A Wolf Warrior is followed by a group of loyal wolves, dogs, riding dogs, winter wolves, hell hounds, worgs, thrym hounds, deep hounds, wild hunt hounds, bearhounds, blink dogs, yeth hounds, nessian warhounds, milivorns, elite milivorns, nethersight mastiffs, legendary wolves, canoloths, guulvorgs, climbdogs, shadow mastiffs, hounds of the hunt, elven hounds, cavvekans, death dogs, moon dogs, vorrs, dire wolves, and/or chaos hounds with a total Challenge Rating no more than his cohort level. They will follow him even in his normal form, but communication will be limited. The alignment of Magical Beasts in his pack is the same as his own.
    Resist Cold(Ex): Starting at 3rd level, a Wolf Warrior gains a small amount of protection from the cold.
    Dire Wolf Shape(Su): A Wolf Warrior may now take the form of a dire wolf. He gets +8 Strength, +4 Dexterity, and +6 Constitution in this form. He gains the dire wolf's senses, racial skill bonuses, trip attack, and feats. He is considered to be an Animal, but is not affected by Awaken.
    Magic Fang(Su): When in wolf shape, the Wolf Warrior's natural weapons are considered to be magic weapons with the listed bonus.
    Winter Wolf Shape(Su): A Wolf Warrior may now take the shape of a winter wolf or hell hound, gaining its supernatural and extraordinary abilities. He gets +6 Strength, +6 Dexterity, and +6 Constitution in this form. He is considered to be a Magical Beast while in this form.
    Last edited by dragonsamurai77; 2010-08-07 at 08:06 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Wolf Warrior (3.5 PrC) PEACH

Why doesnt it have full BAB?
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

i like this for a werewolf

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

So it's a melee class that sacrifices BAB and competent followers for a small number of nigh worthless wolves and an incredibly limited form of wild shape?

Yeah, this is... very weak. Free to enter, but it still actively hurts anybody entering it, besides NPC classes.
    Last edited by Milskidasith; 2010-08-05 at 09:53 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

You need to list it's Hit Die.

As Bhu and Milskidasith pointed out, this class needs full BAB since it really doesn't get any good ways of increasing it's AB in any other way (spells/powers etc.)
    Ditch the leadership nerf, and just say that the Wolf Warrior get a number of wolf companions in addition to the normal followers. Winter Wolves are only CR5 anyway, and they are the toughest ones on the list. Basically a toned down animal companion.
    Givet it more skill points, 2 is way too low for anyone, and this PrC doesn't base anything on INT, so there will be no great boost there.

Power up the shapechange ability, as it stands right now it's extremely weak and you'd probably perform better in almost any situation in your normal form. Not what you're aiming for I guess.

So, yea. I like the idea, but as it stands right now it's down there with the fighter.
    Every time I post a statement feel free to add 'In my opinion...' whenever applicable.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

You might could make his shapechanging like the Bear Warrior's bear form, where instead of the new physical ability scores replacing your old ones they are applied as a modifier (for example +2 Str, +4 Dex, +4 Con in wolf form). That would be a buff.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

CHANGES:

-Full BAB
    -No longer has to sacrifice normal followers
    -Wolf form enhanced
    -HD: d10
    Last edited by dragonsamurai77; 2010-08-06 at 07:12 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

Maybe haul out some of the more exotic wolfish creatures. Thrym Hound from one of the later MMs (MM 4?) and Brachyurus from SRD and Epic Handbook.

Wild Hunt Hounds in MM5 are another good one.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2010-08-06 at 07:21 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Maybe haul out some of the more exotic wolfish creatures. Thrym Hound from one of the later MMs (MM 4?) and Brachyurus from SRD and Epic Handbook.

Wild Hunt Hounds in MM5 are another good one.
    Fixed, but I didn't add the Brachyurus for obvious reasons.

10. - Top - End - #10

It's not that much more powerful than the Wild Hunt Hound- though should probably be reserved for an epic extension of the PRC.

Notable hounds/wolves in D&D besides those already mentioned:

Yeth Hound (MM)
    Shadow Mastiff (MM)
    Death Dog (Fiend Folio)
    Voor (Fiend Folio) (demonic)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

It's not that much more powerful than the Wild Hunt Hound- though should probably be reserved for an epic extension of the PRC.

Notable hounds/wolves in D&D besides those already mentioned:

Yeth Hound (MM)
    Shadow Mastiff (MM)
    Death Dog (Fiend Folio)
    Voor (Fiend Folio) (demonic)
    All of those added.

12. - Top - End - #12

Maybe it should be Cohort level rather than 1/2 Cohort Level. Might allow some of the higher level wolves before epic. Especially if you base it on CR rather than Hit Dice.

Allowing a 20th level character to have a CR18 wolf/hound cohort (I think Wild Hunt Hounds are CR 18) might not be so bad- how powerful can a druid animal companion be at 20th level?
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2010-08-06 at 09:10 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Maybe it should be Cohort level rather than 1/2 Cohort Level. Might allow some of the higher level wolves before epic. Especially if you base it on CR rather than Hit Dice.

Allowing a 20th level character to have a CR18 wolf/hound cohort (I think Wild Hunt Hounds are CR 18) might not be so bad- how powerful can a druid animal companion be at 20th level?
    I suppose not. Changed.

14. - Top - End - #14

Are spell-like abilities/maneuvers with a wolf-type flavour (Bite of the Werewolf, from Spell Compendium, or Wolf Pack Tactics from Tome of Battle) an option?

Might help to make the class as wolfy as possible.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Maybe, if you explain what they do. (I have no access to any material not on d20srd)

16. - Top - End - #16

I'll try and provide pics, and CRs (but not stats) for the wolfish/doglike creatures I've mentioned.

The Bear-Dog (MM3) and the Blink Dog (MM and SRD) are also good ones.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

what do you think if it was enacced whit wolf totem or something like that?

18. - Top - End - #18

After a bit of digging:

Fiend Folio:

Death dog- 2 HD CR 2 Medium Magical Beast:
    Spoiler
    Show

Vorr- 3 HD CR 4 Medium Outsider:
    Spoiler
    Show

MM2:

Legendary Wolf- 14 HD CR 7 Medium Animal

Nethersight Mastiff- 10 HD CR 8 Large Magical Beast:
    Spoiler
    Show

MM3:

Canoloth- 6 HD CR 5 Medium Outsider:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bearhound- 10 HD CR 7 Large Magical Beast:
    Spoiler
    Show

MM5:

Guulvorg- 14 HD CR 13 Huge Magical Beast
    Spoiler
    Show

Thrym Hound- 13 HD CR 10 Huge Magical Beast
    Spoiler
    Show

Hound of the Hunt- 20 HD CR 18 Large Magical Beast
    Spoiler
    Show

Races of the Wild:

Elven Hound- 2 HD CR 1 Medium Magical Beast
    Spoiler
    Show

Races of Faerun:

Mastiff- 2 HD CR 1 Medium Animal
    Spoiler
    Show

Cavvekan- 1 HD CR 1/2 Small Magical Beast
    Spoiler
    Show

Champions of Ruin:

Kezef the Chaos Hound- 28 HD CR 21 Huge Outsider
    Spoiler
    Show

Arms & Equipment Guide:

Climbdog- 2 HD CR 1 Small Animal
    Spoiler
    Show

Sandstorm:

Dire Jackal- 4 HD CR 2 Large Animal
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2010-08-06 at 12:12 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

well.... yes I agree that it needs full bab, but... commanded followers in some form or another (be it animal companions, or undeads) tend to be tallied up by HD not CR, also I would give it something extra to overcome resistances/Dr and the such because once as a druid I had this problem, and your guy doesn't have spells, and can't use many magic weapons in wolf form. also perhaps some strategical bonuses should be suggested such that everyone reading this doesn't just think nerfed fighter with wolves. flanking gives the +2 to attack which is easier to do with wolves, and faster transportation, but also consider that some of these animals have...unique... abilities. For example blink dogs can dimension door at will cutting off any pray attempting to avoid hell hound's breath weapon. now I'm sure that this is not the best of examples, but quite frankly i'm too lazy to find a better one. regardless you need enough HD of helpful wolves to help you. I suggest making leadership effect only wolves, adding an animal friendship spell like ability, and saying that with a diplomacy check equal to lets say 4X HD of target you can make them friendly and helpful, and likely to hang around your pack for a while. also wolf politics could be added in where you take over the pack of another if you kill the alpha-male, but remember that if you make a massive army of wolves remember to feed them.

20. - Top - End - #20

True- but sometimes, when the creature has a fairly high CR for it's Hit Dice, you can end up controlling a creature with a far greater CR than you. Zombie Dragons from Draconomicon, when combined with an altar and Desecrate, spring to mind.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

After a bit of digging:

(every wolf-like creature in every sourcebook)
    WOW!!! Thank you so much!

well.... yes I agree that it needs full bab, but... commanded followers in some form or another (be it animal companions, or undeads) tend to be tallied up by HD not CR, also I would give it something extra to overcome resistances/Dr and the such because once as a druid I had this problem, and your guy doesn't have spells, and can't use many magic weapons in wolf form. also perhaps some strategical bonuses should be suggested such that everyone reading this doesn't just think nerfed fighter with wolves. flanking gives the +2 to attack which is easier to do with wolves, and faster transportation, but also consider that some of these animals have...unique... abilities. For example blink dogs can dimension door at will cutting off any pray attempting to avoid hell hound's breath weapon. now I'm sure that this is not the best of examples, but quite frankly i'm too lazy to find a better one. regardless you need enough HD of helpful wolves to help you. I suggest making leadership effect only wolves, adding an animal friendship spell like ability, and saying that with a diplomacy check equal to lets say 4X HD of target you can make them friendly and helpful, and likely to hang around your pack for a while. also wolf politics could be added in where you take over the pack of another if you kill the alpha-male, but remember that if you make a massive army of wolves remember to feed them.
    First, that is VERY hard to read.
    Now then, many of the things you said are things I actually originally had, but later changed. Wolves were originally based on CR, but as hamishpence said that is often imbalanced. Leadership was also designed to be wolves-only, but that proved to be underpowered. As for how you obtain the wolves, that would likely be up to the DM.

22. - Top - End - #22

also- forgot one:

Races of Stone:

Deep Hound: 6 HD CR 4 Large Magical Beast:
    Spoiler
    Show

That's almost everything that's not in the SRD.

Also:
    Heroes of Battle:

War Mastiff: 3 HD CR 2 Medium Animal
    (no picture)
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2010-08-06 at 01:06 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Druid animal companions do scale by CR x 1.5 not HD (making them unique). This is rounded up to the next level divisible by three and subtracted from the druid's effective level (hence dire wolf CR 3 is -6 as is tiger CR 4); this is ignored for CR 1 creatures. So I'd say if you do scale by CR not HD stick to CR x 1.5 at least and be careful since magical beasts can get some nice abilities. Although the current cap seems like it could work, just be careful of some creatures they can get some decent abilities.

Also why is his strength in Dire Wolf form only +4 when dire wolves get a much higher bonus to Str? Also I'd go ahead and give him the full supernatural abilities and immunities that hell hounds and winter wolves get by 16th level they aren't much.
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2010-08-06 at 12:53 PM.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

I just don't think this is strong enough to really do anything. 2nd level has absolutely nothing, and third has cold resistance 5. 6th and 8th are weak abilities that are drastically worse than cheap magic items. And the other abilities just don't make up for it.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Fixed the transformations.

26. - Top - End - #26

A few recommendations- change Charismal to Charisma, change Voor to Vorr, and maybe add mastiffs, war mastiffs, and dire jackals to the list.

I figured that creatures that while doglike, were also reptilian, creatures that can shapechange into a humanoid form, and hyenalike creatures, could be left off the list.

There might be one or two others- but I think thats a good enough Dog/Wolf type list for now.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'd also recommend shifting the first magic fang ability to level 2 and handing it out every two levels after, to a maximum of +5 at lvl 10. Anyone against?
    Every time I post a statement feel free to add 'In my opinion...' whenever applicable.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by drakir_nosslin View Post
    I'd also recommend shifting the first magic fang ability to level 2 and handing it out every two levels after, to a maximum of +5 at lvl 10. Anyone against?
    Sounds good to me, but I'll wait and see what other people have to say. Also, I fixed the typos.

29. - Top - End - #29

While Mastiffs and War Mastiffs aren't really different enough to warrant a mention, I like climbdogs- would give the character access to something that can climb up walls.

Shadow Mastiffs also seem to have been left out.

Also- one I forgot:

Book of Exalted Deeds:

Moon Dog- 9 HD CR 12:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2010-08-06 at 02:38 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

While Mastiffs and War Mastiffs aren't really different enough to warrant a mention, I like climbdogs- would give the character access to something that can climb up walls.

Shadow Mastiffs also seem to have been left out.

Also- one I forgot:

Book of Exalted Deeds:

Moon Dog- 9 HD CR 12:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Climbdogs, Shadow Mastiffs, and Moon Dogs added.