New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Cool new spell: Lightning speed, PEACH

Hi, im reletively new at homebrewing but I like to do it in my spare time alot, I came up with a spell that gives a person the speed, and power of lightning.

Lightning speed
    transmutation [electricity]
    Level: Dru 5 Wiz/Sor 6
    Components: V, S, M
    Casting time: 1 standard action
    Range: touch
    Targets: one creature touched
    Duration: 1 round/level
    Saving throw: Fortitude negates (harmless)
    Spell resistance: Yes (harmless)

This spell infuses the target with lightning, affecting the target with incredible manic speed and electrical abilities. The character affected by this spell gains a +1 bonus on attack rolls and to Reflex saves, an extra attack action every round, as well as a +1 dodge bonus to AC and a +30ft enhancement bonus to his base speed. In addition, they can make a ranged touch attack once a round to give someone a jolt of electricity dealing 5d6+1/level (max +20) with a range of 20 feet and during the duration of the spell as a supernatural ability. If the target is wearing light or medium metal armor, the ranged touch attack gains a +2 circumstance bonus, and if wearing heavy metal armor, then this bonus increases to +4. The lightning blast can be channeled through a metal melee weapon as part of an attack action and resolve the attack as normal.

In addition, the subject gains electricity resistance equal to your caster level for the duration of the spell.

Material component: a small copper coil worth 15GP

Comments, questions, snackifices, nitpicks?
    Last edited by inuyasha; 2013-01-17 at 01:42 PM.
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!
    Jester of The Rudisplorkers Guild!!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    ..What have I done..? What have you done? That poor lantern archon..

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Cool new spell: Lightning speed, PEACH

Hm. Seems a little high. You moved it up two levels from haste because of a 2d6+15 attack. Seems rather gratuitous. Either make the attack stronger, or the spell fourth level. Or both!

I do like the idea, though.
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

What's the range on the ranged touch attack? How many times can it be used during the duration?
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok good glad to see people like my ideas, now lemme fix those things

EDIT. ok so how is it now? still too weak or is it ok?
    Last edited by inuyasha; 2013-01-14 at 11:51 AM.
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmmm, I like it but what is the Material Component? Is it going to be one of those expensive ones? Or something you can pick up off the ground?

Also, does it correspond to any of the elements? Like air?
    Invincibility lies in the defense. The possibility of victory is in the attack.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:
    (SF) bombs and Hangar Support
    The Forge (Crafting System)

Extended Homebrew Sig

Dice (feel free to use them!):
    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

"I want you dead enough to turn into a handbag and I want you dead enought to turn into a toaster!"
    -Unknown XCOM Commander

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

Usually, spells that grant you touch attacks do that thing where using the touch reduces the duration by 1 of whatever unit the duration is in. You don't need to make this change (there's a couple of spells like the old Sirine's Grace or Flame Whips that don't use the convention) but you could probably justify dropping the spell a level if you did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

@tsunami: I already have a material component in the spell. a small silver coil worth 15 GP

@flickerdart: eh that would make a little bit of sense but I dont think this spell needs that

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by inuyasha View Post
    @tsunami: I already have a material component in the spell. a small silver coil worth 15 GP

@flickerdart: eh that would make a little bit of sense but I dont think this spell needs that
    O.K. that makes sense.

I personally don't think it needs to have the duration decreased. Although zapping lighting as a full-round attack does seem like a little much in my opinion.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

"I want you dead enough to turn into a handbag and I want you dead enought to turn into a toaster!"
    -Unknown XCOM Commander

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Hi, im reletively new at homebrewing but I like to do it in my spare time alot, I came up with a spell that gives a person the speed, and power of lightning.

Lightning speed
    Level: Brd 5 Wiz/Sor 5
    Range: close (25ft. +5ft/2 levels)
    Targets: one creature/level, no two of which can be more than 30ft. apart
    Spell resistance: Yes (harmless
    This spell infuses the targets with lightning, affecting the targets the same way as haste but in addition, they can make a ranged touch attack to give someone a jolt of electricity dealing 5d6+1/level (max +20), the range is 10 feet and the attack can be used at will during the duration of the spell.
    Material component: a small silver coil worth 15GP

Comments, questions, snackifices, nitpicks?
    Conceptually I love it. Crunch wise, it has some issues, I think.

1. What school is this? Initially I'd say evocation, but it could be transmutation as well. Definitely needs the Air descriptor.
    2. Next, what kind of action is it to shoot the short range lightning charge? Is it a supernatural ability or a spell-like ability? Does spell resistance apply? Could he channel it along a metal weapon or do I get a bonus shooting at metal using opponents? Can I attack with it multiple times in a round, or use as an attack of opportunity?
    3. This spell just screams super haste, so lets try to do something to mix it up? I'd start by making it a creature touched, not a burst like haste. Throw in some electrical damage resistance equal to your caster level (as you're infused with lightning), and maybe say if you get wet then you take 5d6 points of damage and the spell ends. You could probably take down a level at this point.
    4. I'd change the material component to some copper wire because classically that's what wires are made of and add that the wire must be wrapped around your wrist or something.

Those are my thoughts, like I said, I like the spell in concept, and I think these are some things that need addressing.

2 bent copper deposited,
    -X
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

wow homebrewing is a lot of work, thanks guys this is good practice for me. I trust the people on this site to evaluate honestly your all good people

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX View Post
    What school is this? Initially I'd say evocation, but it could be transmutation as well. Definitely needs the Air descriptor.
    Why Air? Electricity would be a much more suitable descriptor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

12. - Top - End - #12
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

Hmm, the text seems a bit convulted now. I'd split it up in a few paragraphs to make it easier to read.

Am i reading it right that you can attack 1/round as a standard action for 5d6+1/level damage, that can chain to multiple targets for half and quarter damage? in addition to the haste and resistance?

Here is some feedback:
    You can't have range: close and target: one creature touched at the same time (even with really long arms it would still just be range: touch :)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

yes you are reading that right, and oh yea lol i forgot to fix that

and it has the air descriptor because electricity is airs associated energy (acid is associated with earth, cold with water, and obviouly fire with fire)
    Last edited by inuyasha; 2013-01-14 at 01:59 PM.

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Why Air? Electricity would be a much more suitable descriptor.
    yes you are reading that right, and oh yea lol i forgot to fix that

and it has the air descriptor because electricity is airs associated energy (acid is associated with earth, cold with water, and obviouly fire with fire)
    Mea culpa, should be electricity. I chose Air because I was thinking of damage associations to elements, not the myriad of spell descriptors out there.

Here is how I'd do it, and I'll color my changes accordingly.

Lightning speed
    transmutation [electricity]
    Level: Brd 5 Wiz/Sor 5
    Range: touch
    Targets: one creature touched
    Spell resistance: Yes (harmless)

This spell infuses the target with lightning, affecting the target with incredible manic speed and electrical abilities. The character affected by this spell gains a +1 bonus on attack rolls and to Reflex saves, as well as a +1 dodge bonus to AC and a +30ft enhancement bonus to his base speed. In addition, they can make a ranged touch attack once a round at will to give someone a jolt of electricity dealing 5d6+1/level (max +20) with a range of 20 feet and the attack can be used at will during the duration of the spell as a supernatural ability. If the target is wearing light or medium metal armor, the ranged touch attack gains a +2 circumstance bonus, and if wearing heavy metal armor, then this bonus increases to +4. The lightning blast can be channeled through a metal melee weapon as part of an attack action and resolve the attack as normal. (basically channel it through a spiked chain add the chain's reach to the lightning).

In addition, the subject gains electricity resistance equal to your caster level for the duration of the spell. Also, if you choose to zap a character with mostly metal armor (plate, half plate, chainmail, but not studded leather because its mostly leather) you may choose to chain the lightning, each additional target halving the damage (1st target 5d6+1/caster level 2nd target 2d6+1/half caster level 3rd target 1d6+1/4 caster level 4th target 1 point of damage

Material component: a small copper coil worth 15GP
    Additionally, I still like the idea of water shorting you out if you get wet, I think it makes for an interesting bit of flavor to the spell.

-X
    Last edited by ErrantX; 2013-01-14 at 02:18 PM.
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I really like these spell. I love the idea of transforming my character in some sort of lightning and make him fries his enemies down. Good work! I'll also say that I agree with ErrantX suggestions on the spell but, lastly, I believe that the spell now is bit more powerful than the average 5th level spell. Wouldn't making it a 6th level spell be better?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CinuzIta View Post
    I really like these spell. I love the idea of transforming my character in some sort of lightning and make him fries his enemies down. Good work! I'll also say that I agree with ErrantX suggestions on the spell but, lastly, I believe that the spell now is bit more powerful than the average 5th level spell. Wouldn't making it a 6th level spell be better?
    yea it was originally a 5th level spell when i first posted it but its been edited ALOT, and so 6th isnt that bad of an idea

also what are your thoughts on who can cast it? is just bard and wizard/sorcerer ok? or should druids and clerics be in on the fun?
    Last edited by inuyasha; 2013-01-14 at 03:52 PM.

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

yea it was originally a 5th level spell when i first posted it but its been edited ALOT, and so 6th isnt that bad of an idea

also what are your thoughts on who can cast it? is just bard and wizard/sorcerer ok? or should druids and clerics be in on the fun?
    If you included anyone else to the party, I'd stop at druid. But its not necessary. I'd honestly even consider switching bard for druid. That's definitely up to you how you see this spell should work.

-X
    Last edited by ErrantX; 2013-01-14 at 05:54 PM.
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX View Post
    If you included anyone else to the party, I'd stop at druid. But its not necessary. I'd honestly even consider switching bard for druid. That's definitely up to you how you see this spell should work.

-X
    druid would kind of make sense because it deals with energy that isnt positive or negative

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'd say druid over bard as well:)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

I don't get why this is a sixth-level spell. It's single-target haste with a bonus attack form and minor energy resistance. Should just be 4th level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne View Post
    I don't get why this is a sixth-level spell. It's single-target haste with a bonus attack form and minor energy resistance. Should just be 4th level.
    Because you get haste, and Dodge Bonus to AC and can make a ranged attack, and you gain electricity resistance for the duration of the spell. That's way too much for a 4th level spell. It is basically a Swiss-army knife of spells as it can do so much.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2013-01-15 at 07:25 AM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

I'd say 5th level. The damage is high enough that with the other things, or just the repeatability of the damage, it's too high for a 4th level spell (equivalent of 10d6 each round). The haste is bells and whistles, and the electricity resistance is also just a little bit of icing.

That said I would increase the range of the ranged touch a bit, typically characters who will want this will not want to be within 20-ft of an enemy to make the attack.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'd say that 6th level is okay because of all the spell implications. Think at it: if you use these spell to boost an ally (say, a barbarian with a flaming great sword and Str 20) he'd be able to put out an impressive amount of damage in one round, since you can imbue the electric attack in a weapon (the damage with one attack would be something like 2d6 great sword +1d6 flaming +5d6 electricity from the spell +10 Str, supposing he's raging +1 from the enchantment +9 from the spellcaster level damage! That'd be 8d6 +20 with one attack. Moreover, if I'm correct, haste grants you an extra attack, so if you take a complete attack action at 9th level you have 3 attacks..the total amount of damage, assuming you always hit your target, would be 24d6+60..in my opinion these IS a 6th level spell, at least)

Edit- whoops, wizards get 6th level spell at 11th level, my bad. Anyway it doesn't change much, if not that the amount of damage described in these post would be higher
    Last edited by CinuzIta; 2013-01-15 at 11:32 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmmm, how about this?
    Druid gets it as a 5th level spell (it fits with nature)
    Sorcerers/Wizards get it as a 6th level spell (not as in tune with nature)

There's a spell that's similar in some ways to this that's called As The Frost. I think it's in Races of the Wild. Maybe use that to help determine a few details in this spell?
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    Because you get haste, and Dodge Bonus to AC and can make a ranged attack, and you gain electricity resistance for the duration of the spell. That's way too much for a 4th level spell. It is basically a Swiss-army knife of spells as it can do so much.
    That's what I said, isn't it? Haste already gives the dodge bonus to AC, for example, and generally a mass version of a spell is one or two levels higher than the single-target version, so while the ranged attack and electricity resistance might each bump it up another spell level, it also drops one down, for a good 4th, or a somewhat iffy 5th.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydos View Post
    I'd say 5th level. The damage is high enough that with the other things, or just the repeatability of the damage, it's too high for a 4th level spell (equivalent of 10d6 each round). The haste is bells and whistles, and the electricity resistance is also just a little bit of icing.
    How do you figure 10d6? 5d6+7 is ... 7d6, approximately, and you can only make one ranged touch attack per round.

So basically it's free 7d6/rd. Hmm, OK, I could see pushing it to 5th at the most.

Quote Originally Posted by CinuzIta View Post
    Moreover, if I'm correct, haste grants you an extra attack, so if you take a complete attack action at 9th level you have 3 attacks..the total amount of damage, assuming you always hit your target, would be 24d6+60..in my opinion these IS a 6th level spell, at least)
    It does, but you can only make one of these special attacks per round, unless I'm seriously misreading this. So total damage at 9th level, assuming 20 str + 2 enhancement + 4 rage, would actually be... 3x(3d6+8 str+1 enh)+5d6+9, or 14d6+36, of which the spell added 8d6+18; compare haste, a third-level mass spell, which would add 3d6+9 to several targets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

gosh, I misread the post! You're right, it can be done once a round..I'd still keep it as a 6th level tough..5th for druids!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok 5th for druids 6th for wizard sounds good, thanks for all the help guys :)

and also, if you ever use this in a game, let me know how it goes

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Sure, if I ever get my Raptoran Cleric up high enough to use the prestige class that allows me to use druid spells I'll let you know.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Just a little thing I came up with while I was looking at these spell :)

Knight of Lightning

Prerequisite:
    BaB: +9
    Feat: Lightning Reflexes, Combat Reflexes, Improved Initiative.
    Special: must possess a weapon with the Shock enchantment in it. The character must have been affected by the Lightning Speed spell at least three times in his life.

d10
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|+1|+0|+2|+0| Lightning Cannon, One with the Lightning

2nd|+2|+0|+3|+0| Lightning Movements

3rd|+3|+1|+3|+1| Lightning Rapidity

4th|+4|+1|+4|+1| Lightning Reflexes

5th|+5|+1|+4|+1| Lightning Aura[/table]
    Skill Points: 4+Int. Skills: Balance (Dex), Concentration (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (Arcana, Int), Knowledge (Nature, Int), Knowledge (Planes, Int), Listen (Wis), Spot (Wis), Tumble (Dex).

Armor and Weapon Proficiencies: Knight of Lightning are proficient with simple and martial weapons. They are also proficient with light and medium armors but not with shields.

Lightning Cannon (Mag): a number of times per day equals to his class level, the character can use the dimensional door spell, with a caster level equal to 10+1 per class level. When he use this spell, a lightning descends from the sky (whatever the weather is like) and hit the character. The character is teletrasported in the place he wants, and when he arrives in that place, another lightning descends from the sky and the character materializes in the point struck by lightning. Every creature or object is at the point struck by the lightning suffers 1d6 electrcity damage per character's class level.

One With The Lightning (Mag): once per encounter, the character can use the Lightning Speed spell, at a spellcaster level equal to ½ his HD +1 per class level. Moreover, from now on the Shock enchantment in his weapons deals more damage (2d6 instead of 1d6).

Lightning Movements (Ex): when he's using One With The Lightning the character can, once per round, deny an enemy attack of opportunity directed to him.

Lightning Rapidity (Ex): when using One With The Lightning the character becomes fast enough to get an additional extra attack (for a total of two extra attacks maximum, counting that achieved by the spell). This attack does not use his highest base attack bonus, but the next one. The character also becomes able to feint in melee with a swift action (One With The Lightning must be active to feint with a swift action).

Lightning Reflexes (Ex): the same speed of lightning has become part of the character, which can react much better in different situations. You gain a +2 bonus to Reflex saving throw, and also the Rogue special ability Opportunist.

Lightning Aura (Sup): the character is constantly surrounded by an aura of electricity. Anyone who attacks the character, hitting, immediately suffers electricity damage equal to ½ the character's HD. These damage is not subject to DR or Energy Resistance. The character can suppress this aura and reactivate it at any time as an immediate action.

You can find these class' fluff Here
    Last edited by CinuzIta; 2013-01-16 at 06:09 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

this is just so cool :)

P.S. if i make more spells I will be sure to post them for everyone to see (which reminds me...heheheh)
    Last edited by inuyasha; 2013-01-16 at 06:42 PM.

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies