New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 38 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Default Simple Q&A (By RAW) [Special 4e Edition]

(This is a fairly high procedure thread; please read the entire instructions carefully before posting. Thanks.)

Ever have a simple, straight-forward rules question that you can’t figure out the answer to? Ask it here. No question is too simple. No more worrying about whether your question is “worth” starting a thread. Ask here and receive an answer. You are, of course, welcome to start a thread for your question, and if you think your question is subject to many interpretations or will start a debate, you are encouraged to start a new thread for it.

This thread will serve as a catch-all for simple, discreet questions that can be answered quickly according to the RAW (Rules As Written).

The Procedure:

Do:
    Label your questions with bold Q#s.
    Label your answers with the bold Q# that you are responding to and/or quote the question.
    Be sure that your answer is correct before you post it; if you are the least bit uncertain, just let it pass and get the next one.
    Try to give your answers in as clear and straightforward terms as possible.
    Feel free to quote or link to relevant rules in the SRD, Errata, or FAQ that supports your answer. (You may want to give your answer and then modify it to add support – otherwise someone else may answer while you’re assembling yours.)
    Specify if your question is for a system other than D&D (the default for this thread).

Don’t:
    Ask Homebrew rules questions here.
    Ask trick questions or attempt to “stump the panel,” so to speak.
    Answer a question that’s already been answered.
    Offer contradictions, clarifications, exceptions, or extensions of prior answers unless, in your opinion, the answer give is plainly and completely wrong.
    Post to debate the answers given.
    Post to carry on other conversations whether tangentially related or wholly unrelated.

Dispute Resolution Procedure:
    If you dispute someone’s answer – meaning that they got it wrong in a critical fashion – post your answer and suggest that the original questioner start a thread to discuss it further if they want it hashed out.
    If someone disputes your answer, don’t respond. Just wait to see if the original questioner starts a new thread to discuss it.
    If your question leads to a disputed answer, start a new thread if you’d like it discussed further.

This thread is for D&D 4e Questions only.

Please start over with the numbering. Thanks.

Be sure to format your posts with numbered questions and answers...

Q.1.
    A.1.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2008-06-15 at 11:02 PM.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Re: Simple Q&A (By RAW) [Special 4e Edition]

Q.1. Do the benefits from Healing Hands(feat) and Hospitaler Care (paragon class feature) stack? They both provide extra healing when you use your Lay On Hands equal to your charisma modifier.

3. - Top - End - #3

ClericGirl

Q.2.

When a power says that it can affect one of your Allies within X distance, can you count yourself as an ally?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by THAC0 View Post
    Q.2.

When a power says that it can affect one of your Allies within X distance, can you count yourself as an ally?
    A.2.No, unless the power mentions yourself as a valid target you cannot benefit from the powers effects.

See the target section on pg. 57 of the PHB

When a power's target entry specifies that is affects you and one or more of your allies, then you can take advantage of the power's effect along with your team-mates. Otherwise "ally" or "allies" does not include you, and both terms assume willing targets.
    Q.3. Other then requiring more time, is there any reason a party with a cleric can't use healing words on their party members to heal them up, take another short rest, then use healing words again, and repeating the process until the party is fully healed(and making more more efficient use of healing surges)?
    Last edited by TheOOB; 2008-06-16 at 01:33 AM.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

A1. As they are from two seperate sources (i.e. feat and class feature) they should indeed stack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    I am now going to begin blaming everything that goes wrong on Charity. Just for gits and shiggles. And not even just things on the forums. Summer! Charity!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Q4 Are there rules for mounted combat, and if so, where are they? I can't find them.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

A4 Page 46 of the DMG.
    Also, see the Mounted Combat feat in the PHB.
    Last edited by Reinboom; 2008-06-16 at 05:24 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Q5
    How is starting wealth determined for 30th level? There aren't any magic items for 31st level, which makes the formula difficult to use.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

A5. Good Question, I fear that there is no answer obvious, I think a question over on the WotC customer help is in order... could you post to let us all know what they say.
    Personally I would just allow 2 of the highest level available to be substituted for the level 31 item (giving three lvl 30 items and a lvl 29 item) though I doubt 'd ever need to make a lvl 30 character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    I am now going to begin blaming everything that goes wrong on Charity. Just for gits and shiggles. And not even just things on the forums. Summer! Charity!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheOOB View Post
    Q.3. Other then requiring more time, is there any reason a party with a cleric can't use healing words on their party members to heal them up, take another short rest, then use healing words again, and repeating the process until the party is fully healed(and making more more efficient use of healing surges)?
    A.3. Nope, and indeed I'd argue that's one of the ways that clerics should be used. See PHB 263:

Quote Originally Posted by PHB 263
    Using Powers while You Rest: If you use an encounter power (such as a healing power) during a short rest, you need another short rest to renew it so that you can use it again.
    Works for Inspiring Word too - I guess you give pep talks
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Q.6.- Do "immediate interrupts" such as the fighters combat challenge ability (phb 76) stop the action they are "interrupting"? Or is it just another example of poor word choice by WoTC...

Q.7.- Does a weapon's proficiency bonus add into the attack rolls for exploits? I assume so because the enhancement bonus is added, but it was a serious point of contention in my last playtest session.
    Last edited by Lord_Xaedien; 2008-06-17 at 02:49 AM.
    "Now I am become death, the destroyer of worlds"

Isaiah Morgan

12. - Top - End - #12

DwarfFighterGuy

A6. "Immediate interrupt" only interrupts action if it invalidates condition for the action to be performed.

A7. Powers with keyword Weapon add proficiency bonus to their attack rolls.
    Last edited by marjan; 2008-06-17 at 03:33 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

A. 006

They do not stop the action they interrupt unless the immediate action invalidates the triggering action, such as the attack killing the enemy trying to shift or attack someone else.

Immediate interrupts take place right before the triggering action, so they interrupt the flow of actions. After the interrupting action has been conducted the normal flow resumes and teh triggering action can be completed assuming it has not been invalidated by the interruption.
    All Yours Popcorn are belongs to me truly,
    LLS

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

(thanks for the new thread)

Q8When you get an encounter power from a race (like Dragonborns Dragonbreath or from a class feature (like Channel Divinity), are these in addition to the encounter power you get at level one? Example: if your a level one Dragonborn Paladin, would you actually have 3 encounter powers at level one; Channel Divinity, Dragon Breath, X (chosen from class list)?

Q9You can use any weapon you want without penalties, correct? You only get to add the prof. bonus to attack roles if you are prof., correct?
    Thanks to DarkCorax for the "Gnome Wizard", which holds a special place in my heart as it's the first DnD character I'd ever made.

Live everyday like it's your last and one day, you'll be right.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

A8 and A9 Correct, you win a cookie!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

A. 008

They are in addition.

A. 009

Yes.

EDIT: No popcorn for this thread!!
    Last edited by Lord Lorac Silvanos; 2008-06-17 at 09:44 AM.
    All Yours Popcorn are belongs to me truly,
    LLS

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheOOB View Post
    A.3. The number of healing surges is limited and is only recovered after an extended rest, wich you can do only once per day, so the party might want to conserve their healing surges for use during future combat situations.
    -"And the giant dwarf is the good guy..."
    -"That's an oximoron".

Spoiler
    Show

-"And each one would drive you MAD! MAD!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Q10. Is it correct that clerics no long gain Shield Proficiency as a class feature?
    NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"
    I came, I saw, I stuck around!
    Quote Originally Posted by Apologizes to Lochar
    I live in the real life Ravenloft!
    Gamiel, Reynoldo Estebar, Boar, Gliff Addel

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

A10 Correct. They can however take shield feats if they qualify.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyroswolf View Post
    Q10. Is it correct that clerics no long gain Shield Proficiency as a class feature?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q11. Do AC bonuses from cover count against touch attacks? I'm pretty sure that AC from armor, shield, and natural armor bonuses don't count, but for this I'm not sure.
    Last edited by itsmeyouidiot; 2008-06-17 at 06:41 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

A11
    In the context of 4e, this question doesn't even make sense. Perhaps you meant to ask it in the Simple Q&A (By RAW) VI [D&D 3.5e & All Other Games] thread.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

22. - Top - End - #22

DwarfFighterGuy

A11 I believe they you've mistaken threads. This one is for 4e RAW questions in which you do not have touch AC.

EDIT: I see they already managed to convert ninjas to 4e.
    Last edited by marjan; 2008-06-17 at 07:07 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Q12 Is the damage bonus from Power Attack considered a Strength bonus, Feat Bonus, or what?

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

24. - Top - End - #24

DwarfFighterGuy

A12 As the type of bonus isn't specified in feat description it is untyped bonus.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Q13 So it can be used to boost the damage of powers like Twin Strike, which don't give you an attribute bonus to damage?

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

26. - Top - End - #26

DwarfFighterGuy

A13 Yes. The entry X[W] only prevents adding the ability modifier, not any other bonuses.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Halfling in the Playground

Q14 The text of mage hand says that the conjured hand can grab an object and then move it. Later on in the text it says that it takes a move action to do this. When you first cast mage hand, does it get to move as part of the minor action used to cast it (and only requires move actions if you try to move it later), or does the casting only summon the hand (meaning you need to spend further actions to make it do anything)?

Q15 On page 158 of the PHB it says that wizards can prepare a number of daily and utility spells according to what they can cast per day for their level, yet this is never mentioned later on. Where does it say how many spells you get per day?
    Last edited by Naihal; 2008-06-18 at 05:10 PM.
    Government - if you think the problems it creates are bad enough, just wait until you see its solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Aww, come on!
    It's not "mind rape," it's "Surprise Reeducation you didn't know you wanted!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    There's so much silliness allowed within the rules, that I don't see how anybody could reasonably object to a mild bending of the rules. Yes, call them guidelines. Rule Zero is the only thing that matters.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

A14 When you first cast Mage Hand, you may use the hand to pick up an object and move it up to 5 squares. Another use is to put a held object into your pack, along with taking an object from your pack and placing it in your hand. Either may be done with the spells effect.

You may use a move action to move the hand another 5 squares afterwards, if you wish.

A15 Page 29 in the PHB shows the number of At-Will, Encounter, Daily, and Utility a character can use at each level. These numbers are based on class, and any powers granted from other sources (such as racial powers or feats) are in addition to these numbers.

Furthermore, a wizard cannot simply spend all his daily/utility slots on his highest level spells. Wizards are limited to choosing powers of the same levels that any other class can use; that is, a 5th level wizard can only memorize one 1st level daily spell and one 5th level daily spell, not two 5th level daily spells.

8. Can a 5th level wizard memorize two 5th level daily spells instead of a 1st and a 5th level daily spell?

At the end of each long rest, a wizard prepares one 1st-level Daily spell chosen from the list of 1st level daily spells in her spellbook. If she were at least 2nd level, she would also prepare one 2nd-level utility spell chosen from the list of 2nd-level utility spells in her spellbook. At 5th level she would also prepare one 5th-level daily spell from her list of 5th-level daily spells in her spellbook. She would repeat this process for every level that she has access to wizard daily or utility spells. She could not, as a 5th-level wizard, prepare a second 5th-level daily spell in place of a daily spell of a different level.
    http://wizards.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...p?p_faqid=1396

I have found that the chart on p.143 in the DMG breaks down what the highest level powers each character should know each level. It is, of course, possible for a wizard to memorize a lower level power in a higher level power slot.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Halfling in the Playground

Q 16.

Shadow Walk (warlock ability, phb131) says "On your turn, if you move at least 3 squares away from where you started your turn, you gain concealment until the end of your next turn."

Does this movement include teleportation (such as from Fey Step or the Fey Pact teleportation)?

Q 17.

Does this -2 to hit (concealment) stack with the +2 defence for Ethereal Stride (Level 2 Utility) or Feywild Protection (Paragon Feat)?

Q 18.

If you, during another player (or enemy)'s turn, teleport back to where you started your turn, will you have counted as having moved "at least 3 squares away from where you started your turn"?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

A16. Shadow Walk just specifies that you need to move; it doesn't specify how it needs to be done. As such, anything that moves you 3 or more squares from where you began your turn grants you concealment.

Please note that this needs to be on your turn; if you moved during someone else's turn (such as a Warlord granting you movement or by being pushed) then Shadow Walk will not trigger.

A17. Concealment actually grants a -2 penalty to your opponent's attack, not a bonus to your defense. It's a slight difference, but it will "stack" with any other defensive bonuses you have. Remember, though, that some feats and powers will remove the concealment penalty - the Blind-Fight feat, for example.

Ethereal Stride grants a +2 power bonus to all defenses. Feywild Protection grants just a +2 bonus to all defenses, meaning it stacks with everything. All three would stack. However, remember that both Ethereal Stride and fey step are move actions, meaning you won't be attacking (or will need to spend an action point) to do both in the same turn.

A18. As I mentioned in A16, you need to move on your turn in order to benefit from Shadow Walk. But to technically answer your question: yes, if you teleport with fey step, you have moved at least 3 squares away.